Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 9th February 2010, 17:20   #9721  |  Link
datman

I just started using this tool with anotherEAC3to and first off it works really good. I only wish I had the wits to use it before a GUI was developed.

I was able to get it to use Archsoft's DTS decoders but not Nero 7's AC3 decoders. I'm not sure how to get it to use the decoder?

Is this still one of the better ways to go?
Old 10th February 2010, 02:02   #9722  |  Link
consultant

TrueHD to FLAC? Possible?

Forgive me if this has been discussed (I did a search for TrueHD and FLAC and got 367 posts). I'm using ripbot to shrink buy blu-ray rips down. I recently started ripping my Star Trek movies. They all have TrueHD audio. I selected the option to convert to FLAC. The movie plays in VLC Media Player and it shows there is indeed an audio track but there is no sound. So I used USEAC3To to demux and convert the original mt2s from the disc. I tried to play the resulting .FLAC file and it won't play. So I'm just extracting the AC3 core now. Bummer, I would have preferred the TrueHD but in FLAC version but I guess that isn't possible. The AC3 is virtually transparent anyway. Just wondering if this is confirmed limitation and if it is a bug, or it is just not possible in a free program.
Old 10th February 2010, 02:47   #9723  |  Link
datman

Quote:
Originally Posted by consultant View Post
Forgive me if this has been discussed (I did a search for TrueHD and FLAC and got 367 posts). I'm using ripbot to shrink buy blu-ray rips down. I recently started ripping my Star Trek movies. They all have TrueHD audio. I selected the option to convert to FLAC. The movie plays in VLC Media Player and it shows there is indeed an audio track but there is no sound. So I used USEAC3To to demux and convert the original mt2s from the disc. I tried to play the resulting .FLAC file and it won't play. So I'm just extracting the AC3 core now. Bummer, I would have preferred the TrueHD but in FLAC version but I guess that isn't possible. The AC3 is virtually transparent anyway. Just wondering if this is confirmed limitation and if it is a bug, or it is just not possible in a free program.
anotherAC3to GUI will do it http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewt...ed801496533911
uses free decoders too
Old 10th February 2010, 04:30   #9724  |  Link
tebasuna51

Quote:
TrueHD to FLAC? Possible?
Yes.
Please put your log file
Old 10th February 2010, 08:17   #9725  |  Link
Beastie Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowknight26 View Post
Your HDD is probably being thrashed.
Using W7 Resource Monitor, I have noticed that eac3to seems to continually write to and read from the swap file, regardless off how much RAM is available. If your swap file is on a drive that you are using, then this causes a bottleneck.

Cheers, Beastie.
Old 10th February 2010, 12:01   #9726  |  Link
TinTime

Quote:
The movie plays in VLC Media Player and it shows there is indeed an audio track but there is no sound.
Have you tried a different media player? Try MPC with or without the madFlac decoder, or try playing the flac file in foobar.
Old 10th February 2010, 17:15   #9727  |  Link
mikelebron

All my TrueHD movies are FLAC.. if your using RipBot then your doing something wrong as Ripbot will convert all HD audio formats to FLAC as it uses eac3to under the covers to demux the video and audio (then re-encodes to flac for the audio)...

Ask in the RipBot Forum to see what you are doing wrong...

If you dont car about compressing the video then just use eac3to command line.. its a multi step process if your dealing with a branching movie..

If you dont want to learn the eac3to command line then use
for mkv

HD DVD/Blu-Ray Stream Extractor - place in directory where eac3to is located. You will need to use mkvmerge (alsno known as mkvtoolnix) after the demux.
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=141829

for m2ts, etc. (NOT MKV) - self containing solution
Clown BD:
http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=25818

MKV has slightly better file size and allows chapters.. m2ts typically is more fogiving when steaming and can re-assembled into a bluray structure for an ISO.

Quote:
Old 10th February 2010, 17:35   #9728  |  Link
consultant

I don't see how I could be doing something wrong since there are only one option in RipBot, check the FLAC box or don't check it. lol

The fact that I demuxed the m2ts and converted the TrueHD to FLAC using USEac3to (select the m2ts, set command line for the TrueHD (3) track to FLAC) and the FLAC file still wouldn't play is indicating to me Eac3to may have an issue with the TrueHD encoding on the Star Trek original movies.

What is interesting is that I can convert the TrueHD to WAV and it plays fine. For kicks, I tried converting the WAV back to FLAC and it won't play. I tried playing it in MediaMonkey also just to make sure it wasn't VLC having the problem.
Old 10th February 2010, 17:40   #9729  |  Link
stax76

HD DVD/Blu-Ray Stream Extractor appear to be very buggy with nobody having an interest to fix the bugs.
Old 10th February 2010, 17:55   #9730  |  Link
consultant

MPC has killed two birds with one stone. It has less stuttering issues than VLC AND it plays the FLAC audio track correctly! Hurray!

Thanks for your help.

P.S. AnotherAC3To too buggy for me. Couldn't handle directories with spaces in the names for one. Got exception error, etc.
Old 10th February 2010, 18:01   #9731  |  Link
mikelebron

Using VLC.. yea that player is garbage... MPC is much better player...

Quote:
MPC has killed two birds with one stone. It has less stuttering issues than VLC AND it plays the FLAC audio track correctly! Hurray!

Thanks for your help.

P.S. AnotherAC3To too buggy for me. Couldn't handle directories with spaces in the names for one. Got exception error, etc.
Old 10th February 2010, 18:13   #9732  |  Link
MuLTiTaSK

UsEac3to: a different GUI for eac3to
Old 10th February 2010, 19:53   #9733  |  Link
yesgrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastie Boy View Post
Using W7 Resource Monitor, I have noticed that eac3to seems to continually write to and read from the swap file, regardless off how much RAM is available. If your swap file is on a drive that you are using, then this causes a bottleneck.
Thanks for your post, but with my 4GB memory I am running W7 without any swap file, and I also disabled the superfetch service. With XP I also don't use any swap file, but the usage is a lot better...
Old 11th February 2010, 11:06   #9734  |  Link
Blue_MiSfit
Derek Prestegard IRL

Erm.. you do know that running any Windows OS without the swap file enabled is generally a bad idea, right? I would suggest keeping it turned on, unless you have solid reproducible results to the contrary (and all your software works without issues)

~MiSfit
Old 11th February 2010, 13:22   #9735  |  Link
raquete

yesgrey3,
in my understanding Win7(x86) don't recognize 4Gb Ram but only round 3,25Gb.
even with XP or Win7 is good adjust the swap file....to tell the true, i don't know how to deal/adjust swap file in Win7.
Old 11th February 2010, 14:05   #9736  |  Link
yesgrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_MiSfit View Post
Erm.. you do know that running any Windows OS without the swap file enabled is generally a bad idea, right? I would suggest keeping it turned on, unless you have solid reproducible results to the contrary (and all your software works without issues)
I don't have any problems working without the swap file. Only once when I was performing some tests with an application I'm developing and I was allocating a lot of memory. I enabled the swap file and it worked ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raquete View Post
yesgrey3,
in my understanding Win7(x86) don't recognize 4Gb Ram but only round 3,25Gb.
even with XP or Win7 is good adjust the swap file....to tell the true, i don't know how to deal/adjust swap file in Win7.
I'm Using W7(x64), so it's really 4GB.
Adjusting the swap file in W7 is exactly the same as it is in XP.
Control Panel->System->Advanced Settings->Performance->Advanced->Virtual Memory

I think that the problem I'm having should be some kind of bug in W7 RC1 (probably it was already fixed on the retail version), because I already had some problems with my application cr3dlut.
To avoid computer stalling, I have set it's priority to "BELOW_NORMAL_PRIORITY_CLASS". With XP it worked fine. When I tried it in W7, it didn't. I had to set the priority to "IDLE_PRIORITY_CLASS" to avoid the stalling.
That's what I have to do now with eac3to, I have to go to the task manager and set it manually.
OTOH, they process handling in W7 is different from XP's, so it could also be something related to that... that's why I asked here if anyone else with W7 retail are getting the same results when using eac3to...
Old 11th February 2010, 15:04   #9737  |  Link
raquete

i'm newby in W7 and i'm installing/adjusting in 4 pcs at the same time, thanks for your hints.

i only use pc for audio and never could 'stand' XP, i still use Win2000 and with the rights adjusts in swap file 'everything' run fine, even with some programs that need XP as min system...don't ask me why but i can put some forbidden programs for Win2000 working fine here.
is hard to left what works...
for example: after install W7 with roung 9.3Gb in hd, the system don't recognize my wireless...gee, 9,3Gb around and still need a single dll to put a single wireless working...i can't stand news systems...lol.
my bootalble dvd of Linux Ubuntu recognize the wireless and all cards in my pcs without install anything in hd, how can it be? bootable Ubuntu free versus W7 Ultimate ~U$350,00(here) installing 9,3GB.

in the other side my nephew is video designer of one great tv channel and he told me that using W7(x64) have some problems, some programs don't run and he need to use 2 pcs: one with x86 and other with x64...and with 12GB Ram in each!
then, if you have 2 pcs test one with x86, maybe yours issues can end.
Old 11th February 2010, 16:07   #9738  |  Link
yesgrey

Quote:
i only use pc for audio and never could 'stand' XP, i still use Win2000
I also cannot stand XP GUI. Those very highly saturated colors are irritating. The trick is using the classic GUI theme, which will give you the Win2000 GUI in XP.

Quote:
if you have 2 pcs test one with x86, maybe yours issues can end.
Thanks, but I don't think this is a x86 vs x64 problem. Also, I will not go back to x86, I want a 64bit OS. It's preferable for software developing purposes.
Old 12th February 2010, 00:20   #9739  |  Link
raquete

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesgrey3 View Post
I also cannot stand XP GUI. Those very highly saturated colors are irritating. The trick is using the classic GUI theme, which will give you the Win2000 GUI in XP.
oh...classic GUI theme? really?
i never heard and knew about that possibility.
can you pm me with the hints to do that please?

cheers!
Old 12th February 2010, 06:13   #9740  |  Link
BLKMGK

Has anyone used eac3to to create branching Matroska files? I'm led to believe it's possible using eac3to by a posting to the MakeMKV support forum but I cannot figure out how to do it. I've asked elsewhere in the Matroska forums for help as well. Currently I rip a BD that has multiple versions multiple times but this really seems silly. MKV apparently supports the ability to branch much like BD does and I'd like to try and take advantage of that as well as urge the XBMC developers to support it. However if it cannot be easily built I won't be able to provide examples nor will anyone be able to use it.

Thoughts?
Closed Thread

Tags
eac3to