Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 AVC / H.264
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 3rd February 2005, 11:08   #521  |  Link
bot

No suggestion as to what it could be

Anyways, the self terminating installation left some files installed. When I try to uninstall it behaves in the same way and reboots all of a sudden.
Old 3rd February 2005, 14:53   #522  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

Quote:
Originally posted by Soulhunter
Well, i had to re-enter the serial after the re-installation... :\

Do you mean i have to remove them in this "StartSmart" thingy ???

Bye
Yep, and after uninstalling all the nero appz, clean the registry manually or with the nero cleaning tool.
If it still doesnt work just contact ahead and tell them to replace your serials coz one of them isnt working!
Sharktooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2005, 18:06   #523  |  Link
candsh

I bought a retail version of Nero 6 - Ultra Edition (Office Max) Did a movie with Nero Digital and played it back with Nero Showtime. Then there was an update which I downloaded and installed and now Showtime will not play the Digital any longer. Says "cannot load, files missing" so I removed Showtime and redownloaded but still get the same error. Windows Media Player plays the disks without a problem.
Old 6th February 2005, 13:00   #524  |  Link
G-Slide

great news ! do you remember my problem with visible blocks when playing AVC videos on my TV with the 6800GT s-video output ???!!! i thought there was an bug with nero recode. yesterday, i trided the same thing, but with DVD source (on tv with s-video output), and i have the same problem. it's good cause the prob doesn't come from AVC but from s-video output !!!
G-Slide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2005, 09:46   #525  |  Link
neo_anderson

1. When I Disable Resize, but cropping enabled (which was done by me in proper way so as to eliminate black borders on top and bottom), still the output video had black borders attached at top and bottom!
2. I Resized my anamorhic 16:9 dvd to 704X304 and enabled subtitles muxing, in the output video file, subs were little smaller in size than originals!
3. Is there any way to decide bitrate to be used, and what should be the resize according to bitrate?
Old 7th February 2005, 13:13   #526  |  Link
JohnV

Quote:
Originally posted by neo_anderson
1. When I Disable Resize, but cropping enabled (which was done by me in proper way so as to eliminate black borders on top and bottom), still the output video had black borders attached at top and bottom!
2. I Resized my anamorhic 16:9 dvd to 704X304 and enabled subtitles muxing, in the output video file, subs were little smaller in size than originals!
3. Is there any way to decide bitrate to be used, and what should be the resize according to bitrate?
1. Uncheck Letterboxing
2. Well, the subs rendering is probably a bit different than in some other software, it's just a rendering issue, since we include the DVD's subtitle stream(s) as it is
3. Well.. when you use automatic resize, it does change the resize automatically relative to your chosen bitrate.

Juha Laaksonheimo

Last edited by JohnV; 7th February 2005 at 13:16.
JohnV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2005, 20:28   #527  |  Link
calinb

Quote:
Did you crop to multiples of 16? I think I remember Nero adding black bars to make a cropped image divisible by 16--even if resize is disabled (which automatically unchecks letterboxing).

JohnV should be able to confirm/deny this behavior.

@JohnV: WRT blocks, I agree with Sharktooth--1 bframe mo' better. Thanks!
calinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2005, 20:59   #528  |  Link
JohnV

Quote:
Originally posted by calinb
Did you crop to multiples of 16? I think I remember Nero adding black bars to make a cropped image divisible by 16--even if resize is disabled (which automatically unchecks letterboxing).

JohnV should be able to confirm/deny this behavior.

Yeah, I was a bit too fast. Yes that it so.
Quote:
@JohnV: WRT blocks, I agree with Sharktooth--1 bframe mo' better. Thanks!
I think 3 bvops shouldnt be a problem in the next filter versions..

Juha Laaksonheimo
Old 8th February 2005, 04:22   #529  |  Link
neo_anderson

hi,
so , how to crop in terms of multiples of 16, i mean, cropping just eliminates black borders, how to crop in multiples of 16 without resizing? cropping is done with mouse drag over borders, right?
Old 8th February 2005, 12:44   #530  |  Link
video
moron

Quote:
hi,
so , how to crop in terms of multiples of 16, i mean, cropping just eliminates black borders, how to crop in multiples of 16 without resizing? cropping is done with mouse drag over borders, right?
Recode will tell you the exact pel dimensions of the result, okay I know it's not so easy to set the image size to the a multiple of 16, but it can be done Anyway it will be wery much useful, if some could type in the exact cropping sizes such as can be in vdub's null transform filter.
video is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2005, 16:44   #531  |  Link
neo_anderson

hi,
pls can anyone tell me which is the best option for dvd sources, keeping automatic smooth enabled or automatic sharp or enabling deblocking strength, also for dvd sources if enabled,what deblocking strength should be used?also, should i use pve for dvd sources? should i disable pve at higher bitrates?

Last edited by neo_anderson; 9th February 2005 at 17:01.
Old 10th February 2005, 00:56   #532  |  Link
video
moron

it is recommended by serveral rumors to run the MPEG4 AVC encoders with deblocking strength: '-2'. (so it applies to x264, too) Unfortunately I don't know how 'strong' is the deblocking when it set to -2, but it's true, that produces almost block free output in case of 1Mbps video rate when resolution left @720x576
video is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2005, 21:35   #533  |  Link
JeremyIrons

Dual layer support

NERO supports dual layer DVD burn. I wish they would advertise this.
JeremyIrons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2005, 08:23   #534  |  Link
neo_anderson

first of all, pls guys, if u find my questions annoying, don't kill me, i'm a newbie!

So, here it goes :
For DVD encoding to avc/h.264 using nero recode 2, what should be the ideal bitrate range for a nice looking encode?
What DeBlocking Strength Should be used, so that no blocks are visible in the output?
In the guide for x264, doom says for 2 cd rips , stay close to 0.25 bpp, so, will nero also give great looking encodes when we chose high filesize?

Also, what b-frames and refference frames should be used?

Please someone do reply!

Thanks.......
Old 14th February 2005, 19:44   #535  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

@neo_anderson: keep the b-frames value at 1 and regarding reference frames: higher is better but slower. I'm usually satisfied with 5, someone likes even 15... the remaining settings depend on the source.

@johnv: so, when this "filter" update is coming?
Old 14th February 2005, 19:49   #536  |  Link
neo_anderson

thanks, my sources are dvd sources, please sir, also help me with bitrate and deblocking settings!
Old 14th February 2005, 19:53   #537  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

a low motion movie will require less bitrate, an high motion more bitrate... if the movie is grainy then will hurt the compressibility...
now read again: IT DEPENDS ON THE SOURCE.
So what are the best settings? finding them by yourself is the best way.
Old 14th February 2005, 22:13   #538  |  Link
JohnV

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharktooth

@johnv: so, when this "filter" update is coming?
Should be in the next web release. I'll check when the build goes to pre-release state.

Juha Laaksonheimo
Old 15th February 2005, 02:16   #539  |  Link
Kortik

how do you know if nero recode 2 got MPEG-4 AVC/H.264.
I have the latest Nero with all the plug ins etc.
Is there a way to check that i am actually using avc/h.264
Kortik is offline   Reply With Quote