Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding

Old 6th October 2004, 08:49   #1  |  Link
gamaD

AAC codec comparison...

From the FAQ:
Quote:
Nero Burning Rom ( Encode files in extras menu ) and accompanying Wave Editor allows both LC and HE AAC encoding. Alternative Nero AAC/MP4 plugins are available at cd-rw.org
On the cd-rw.org page I can choose Psytel's AAC or AudioCoding.com's which is based on FAAC. Anyone know how the AudioCoding.com AAC compares to Nero AAC or FAAC?
gamaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2004, 17:12   #2  |  Link
DKDIB
Paradise searcher

Re: AAC codec comparison...

Gama wrote:
> Anyone know how the AudioCoding.com AAC compares to Nero AAC or
> FAAC?

Here is the last AAC listing test organized by Roberto Amorim:
presentation;
results.
Old 6th October 2004, 19:49   #3  |  Link
hans-jürgen

Re: AAC codec comparison...

Quote:
Originally posted by gamaD
On the cd-rw.org page I can choose Psytel's AAC or AudioCoding.com's which is based on FAAC. Anyone know how the AudioCoding.com AAC compares to Nero AAC or FAAC? [/B]
FAAC is the AAC encoder from Audiocoding.com, but whatever you do, don't use the outdated Nero plugin based on FAAC from the cd-rw.org page, because it's v1.17, and the current version is 1.24+.

See also http://www.audiocoding.com/modules/mydownloads/

BLUEZZ BASTARDZZ on Myspace, YouTube and Last.fm
INDIGO ROCKS on Myspace and Last.fm
hans-jürgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2004, 21:16   #4  |  Link
gamaD

Thank you. On a side note, when I encode with nero plugin using foobar2000, foobar later reports in the properties dialog:
"tool = Nero AAC Codec 2.6.2.2"

i suppose this is the codec version?
is there a newer one? does nero update it in every new release of Nero Burning ROM?
gamaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2004, 22:40   #5  |  Link
bond

Quote:
Originally posted by gamaD
is there a newer one? does nero update it in every new release of Nero Burning ROM?
in a majority of their releases

also you might find robertos second aac comparison useful, which shows that nero and psytel (both developed by the same guy btw) were on par at the time the test was made. i wonder if neros lc-aac encoder has improved since than (its pretty weak compared to apple's encoder), as they mainly focused on stuff like he-aac...
find the comparison here

MPEG-4 ASP FAQ | AVC/H.264 FAQ | AAC FAQ | MP4 FAQ | MP4Menu stores DVD Menus in MP4 (guide)
Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis
use WM9 today and get Micro$oft controlling the A/V market tomorrow for free

Last edited by bond; 6th October 2004 at 22:45.
bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2004, 03:57   #6  |  Link
rjamorim
Blah!

Quote:
Originally posted by bond
also you might find robertos second aac comparison useful, which shows that nero and psytel (both developed by the same guy btw) were on par at the time the test was made. i wonder if neros lc-aac encoder has improved since than (its pretty weak compared to apple's encoder), as they mainly focused on stuff like he-aac...
find the comparison here
That's actually my first comparision

And it's hard to say if Nero AAC-LC encoder improved. I would guess it didn't. It ranked closer to QuickTime in the second test, but it's worth taking into consideration that the first test compared Nero at CBR, in the second one it was at VBR (and, amazingly, it still lost to QuickTime CBR neverthless)

Of course, it's still better to trust your own years more than my tests when taking decisions on what to use.
Old 11th October 2004, 22:45   #7  |  Link
bond

Quote:
Originally posted by rjamorim
That's actually my first comparision
yepa of course, the "second" was more related to "the other one"

Quote:
And it's hard to say if Nero AAC-LC encoder improved. I would guess it didn't. It ranked closer to QuickTime in the second test, but it's worth taking into consideration that the first test compared Nero at CBR, in the second one it was at VBR (and, amazingly, it still lost to QuickTime CBR neverthless)
indeed, still its good to point out the "difference" between the two. might get nero to tune their codec more if many people ask for it

Quote:
Of course, it's still better to trust your own years more than my tests when taking decisions on what to use.
true, as always

MPEG-4 ASP FAQ | AVC/H.264 FAQ | AAC FAQ | MP4 FAQ | MP4Menu stores DVD Menus in MP4 (guide)
Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis
use WM9 today and get Micro$oft controlling the A/V market tomorrow for free
bond is offline   Reply With Quote