Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage

Old 8th July 2002, 00:35   #21  |  Link
trbarry

Dreassica -

Thanks for your encouraging words. AFAIK you are only the 2nd person to try this filter, besides myself.

Glad I wasn't trying to sell it.

- Tom
trbarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2002, 07:38   #22  |  Link
manono

Hi-

You sell yourself short Tom. I jumped on it as soon as it came out, as I've been trying to find something to lessen the effects of Edge Enhancement (I've run across a lot of it recently). Temp Smoothers usually damage the film before cleaning up EE and the associated pixelation. Unfortunately, my tests show that you have to blur-soften the film too much before it has much of an effect on a movie with bad EE. But combined with a light TemporalSoften2, it's not too bad.

However, as Dreassica said, as a sharpener for soft sources, it's great, and way faster than the Sharpen filter. They're just now getting wind of it down at the SVCD Forums where a lot of people like to sharpen up the source (for some reason) and have only had the Sharpen Filter before now. So you may hear some more reactions before too long.
manono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2002, 13:42   #23  |  Link
Boulder
Pig on the wing

Since you wanted feedback, here's some: it's simply magnificent! I've encoded three TV captures and using a rather small value for UnFilter gives the same results as Sharpen ( +bicubic 0.00/0.75 ) but is a helluva lot faster!

Although, it seems to crash Avisynth (the infamous read access violation error) in Win XP sometimes. Win98SE has worked flawlessly.
Old 8th July 2002, 14:24   #24  |  Link
Holomatrix
Still Kick'n

Hello, I just read about this new filter. What values would you use to get a sharpen of .5? I tried UnFilter(15,15) and did not notice any difference. My max ave bitrate was 2230, would the filter work better with low bitrates? and do you recommend using the higher values for Bicubic? (Increase from .6 to .8?)
Thanks
Holomatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2002, 16:53   #25  |  Link
trbarry

Sorry, the UnFilter sharpen values don't correspond nicely to other filter values in Sharpen, BiCubicResize, etc. I'd just try raising them until you either get too much sharpening or reach 100.

- Tom
Old 8th July 2002, 16:56   #26  |  Link
trbarry

Quote:
Although, it seems to crash Avisynth (the infamous read access violation error) in Win XP sometimes. Win98SE has worked flawlessly.
Is UnFilter somehow implicated in the crash? Could you provide some more info?

And you might try updating to Avisynth beta 6 or 7 if it's not just an UnFilter problem.

- Tom
Old 8th July 2002, 16:59   #27  |  Link
trbarry

@all

Glad to hear that some of you are using this after all. Thanks for the feedback.

- Tom
Old 9th July 2002, 02:04   #28  |  Link
Gant
_

i come a little late... but still.. i'm using this filter and i'm finding it very usefull to me... thnaks for this great filter m8

Again Thnaks for u'r hard work

Matta.

Gant

Gant
Gant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2002, 13:18   #29  |  Link
Dreassica

I haven't had any crashes with the unfilter on yet with my XP system!!
Dreassica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2002, 18:17   #30  |  Link
Boulder
Pig on the wing

Quote:
Originally posted by trbarry
[B]

Is UnFilter somehow implicated in the crash? Could you provide some more info?

And you might try updating to Avisynth beta 6 or 7 if it's not just an UnFilter problem.
I'm currently using beta 6 I think. I've had crashes when using UnFilter but not without it. However, I've found out that XP sometimes speeds up the encoding so much that it crashes (sic!), especially when Sharpen is present. Win98 doesn't go as fast but is more stable.

Unfortunately I can't give any specific details yet as I've only done a couple of encodes, but as I said, Win98 works like a charm!
Old 10th July 2002, 11:14   #31  |  Link
soulfx
The Digital Soul

Weird, but cool, performance increase

I just ran across a strange side effect of using the UnFilter. I use an Animated MergeChroma and MergeLuma to blend in my name and episode info into the first couple seconds of video. This will usually drop the FPS during those seconds of blending down to around 8 FPS. However I noticed that if I have some form of UnFilter in the AVS script (and it doesn't even have to be set to do anything (Like UnFilter(0,0))) it will increase my FPS up to it's normal real-time 23-24FPS! That's sweet, but uh, I don't think it's supposed to do that.

I'm not sure if this speed improvement can be applied to other Filter's as I haven't tried yet, but I sure did a double take when I noticed it.

Any info or thoughts?
soulfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2002, 16:28   #32  |  Link
trbarry

soulfx -

I'm not sure how Avisynth does it but any time you combine multiple clips of different frame rate into one (using ANY filters) you maybe will end up with a single constant frame rate.

- Tom
Old 11th July 2002, 16:55   #33  |  Link
Holomatrix
Still Kick'n

Any chance on getting some samples to show or if you can let me know what settings would you use (unfilter(20,20))?
Thanks
Holomatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2002, 17:23   #34  |  Link
trbarry

I don't have any sharpening samples, or even any additional recommendations, but I posted some softening samples in the discussion on removing EE earlier in this thread.

- Tom
Old 25th July 2002, 20:05   #35  |  Link
Dreassica

Maybe a stupid question, but isn't DivX Yuy2 compliant, because i used the unfilter in my avs to convert divx to SVCD, but it won't open the AVS in Vdub, stating that unfilter only supports Yuy2 color format. When i tried searching for explanation i found out it was the first DivX 3.11 file i tried encoding (the earlier ones were all DivX5).. I distictly remember reading that divX was Yuy2 native.
Old 26th July 2002, 07:20   #36  |  Link
trbarry

I don't know what format Divx 3.11 uses. But you could probably just put in a ConverttoYUY2 statement.

- Tom
Old 26th July 2002, 10:15   #37  |  Link
Dreassica

I did that, it now will load into Vdub, but i still get the crashes in CCE!!
Old 31st July 2002, 04:06   #38  |  Link
h00z
anime DVD nut

I'm having some issues with Unfilter in my anime encoding. It seems that I end up with vertical "bars" running through my encodes with the settings I'm using (tried more than a few different settings of course).

Are you guys finding that you need different values for horizontal and vertical when sharpening?
h00z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2002, 05:53   #39  |  Link
trbarry

I have seen the vertical bars when I sharpen it too much, or especially when I tried sharpening it twice. But it seems to depend upon the material. Some video already has some edge enhancement and sharpening will make it worse.

Also, Vlad just sent me a fix, pointing out that this can crash on a K6-II, using an unsupported instruction. I'll try to incorporate that and make it available soon but anyone experiencing this please PM me.

- Tom
Old 31st July 2002, 06:16   #40  |  Link
lovelegend

I'm a newbie amd I'm going to find a suitable filter chain for myself. Therefore, I would like to ask if I want to convert DVDrips to SVCD's, do I still use unfilter?
lovelegend is offline   Reply With Quote