Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > IFO/VOB Editors
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 3rd January 2009, 19:30   #81  |  Link
vwpassion

I see. Sometimes I modify sprm(0) commands, especially on Sony Region 2 dvds, when I remove foreign menus. Sony usually masters their dvds to call the player's preferred menu language and thus I modify these commands and set them to something like this:

Original: Set gprm(0) =(mov) sprm(0:Preferred menu language)

Modified: Set gprm(0) =(mov) 25966 ("en")

This way it doesnt matter anymore which menu language is set within the player. So for me, it'd be quite useful. But I'll stick to Info -> SPRMs instead.
vwpassion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2009, 22:31   #82  |  Link
ron spencer
DVD Magistrate

thanks for V9.1....great job
ron spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2009, 22:38   #83  |  Link
spare

Could Someone cook up an icon for the PgcEdit homepage ??
It would make it easier to spot on my bookmarks

Thank You.
spare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2009, 00:06   #84  |  Link
Wombler
Affable Wanderer

Actually that's not a bad idea.

r0lZ, how about it?

Wombler

favicon.zip
Wombler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2009, 01:37   #85  |  Link
blutach
Country Member

Thanks r0lZ and also big thanks to M_Knox. It is soooooo easy to understand those bitwise operations now.

Regards

Only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media.
blutach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2009, 01:38   #86  |  Link
blutach
Country Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwpassion View Post
I see. Sometimes I modify sprm(0) commands, especially on Sony Region 2 dvds, when I remove foreign menus. Sony usually masters their dvds to call the player's preferred menu language and thus I modify these commands and set them to something like this:

Original: Set gprm(0) =(mov) sprm(0:Preferred menu language)

Modified: Set gprm(0) =(mov) 25966 ("en")

This way it doesnt matter anymore which menu language is set within the player. So for me, it'd be quite useful. But I'll stick to Info -> SPRMs instead.
Do a search for the word preferred in the search box. That way you will hit all the required registers (0, 16, 18). Then use the search and replace plugin. It is very easy. See attached for changing eveything to English. This goes in your search_replace_presets folder in %appdata%/PgcEdit

Regards
Attached Files
File Type: zip Set language en.zip (283 Bytes, 42 views)

Last edited by blutach; 4th January 2009 at 01:41.
Old 4th January 2009, 10:47   #87  |  Link
vwpassion

Quote:
Originally Posted by blutach View Post
Do a search for the word preferred in the search box. That way you will hit all the required registers (0, 16, 18). Then use the search and replace plugin. It is very easy. See attached for changing eveything to English. This goes in your search_replace_presets folder in %appdata%/PgcEdit

Regards
Oh, didnt know about presets. Thanks.
vwpassion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2009, 12:11   #88  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by spare View Post
Could Someone cook up an icon for the PgcEdit homepage ??
It would make it easier to spot on my bookmarks
The mirror in belgium has an icon. The main homepage at VideoHelp doesn't display it, I don't know why. I will have a look...
r0lZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2009, 12:29   #89  |  Link
Wombler
Affable Wanderer

Ahh... I didn't realise that.

I've always used the main page and had noticed the lack of an icon before spare mentioned it.

But if there's some insurmountable technical problem then the simple answer for spare would be to use the Belgian mirror.

Wombler
Old 4th January 2009, 12:33   #90  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

The icon file was simply missing! The technical problem was therefore not totally insurmountable!
Old 4th January 2009, 12:56   #91  |  Link
Wombler
Affable Wanderer

Excellent!

If only everything else was that easy.

Wombler
Old 4th January 2009, 14:30   #92  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenadia View Post
Also , tried to delete a sub-menu (straight from the rip) and got an error message (cf log: the DVD has ILVU: probably irrelevant).
The error message invites me to fix it with IFOEdit (I'd rather not delete the sub-menu) but should I still go to IFOEdit even without deleting the sub-menu (bad rip or whatever).
Code:
MsgBox "PgcEdit: Kill PGC Playback" -> yes

ERROR!  get_int: Attempt to read 2 bytes at offset 0 (0x0) after end of table!
Variable: cellpostable, length of table: 0
MsgBox "PgcEdit fatal error" -> no
Code:
*** Dialog title: "PgcEdit fatal error"
*** Dialog type: error
*** Dialog message:
Fatal error!
PgcEdit is trying to read data after the
end of a table.
This means that a Length Of Table value
is probably wrong.  (See log.)
Please try to fix the problem with IfoEdit.
The missing value may be fixed to 0, but
this could lead to strange results.
Do you want to fix the value and continue
anyway? (NOT RECOMMENDED!)
*** Dialog buttons: [Yes] [No]
If I click on No,I have an error message :error attempt reading... I can ignore it?
Thanks for your advice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by email from mikenadia
I wanted to delete the sub-menu (with subtitles) of the version with alternate ending.

Trace;Run;Click on Button2;Select;Click on "Kill PGC Playback";
Click on the button "Kill Playback" with the button "English " selected.
{71 01 00 08 00 01 00 0D}

I did the same thing on a non-ILVU DVD and got a similar error.
Hope I did not screw the IFO and menubuttons.
The first one is after loading, and the second is after saving after the error message.
I see! After some tries, I've finally been able to reproduce the bug.

It is caused by the fact that you Kill Playback of the menu when the menu viewer (automatically opened by the trace) is still open. If you close it (for example by selecting Close And Break Trace), and then you kill the menu, the problem does not occur.

In fact, it should be impossible to modify the DVD when trace mode is active. It doesn't make sense to trace something that is constantly modified. However, I have not disabled the main GUI when the trace mode is active, because in some cases, it is possible to modify some commands while the DVD is tracing. That's useful, for example, to test what happens when a command is modified to jump elsewhere or change a GPRM value without having to restart the trace from the beginning. However, there are things that cannot be made in trace mode, as if the structure of the current PGC or domain is modified, the trace will not be able to continue.

In this particular case, you trace to the menu you want to kill, and PgcEdit displays it in the menu viewer, and waits for your selection. At that time, you kill the menu. This has the effect of automatically closing the original menu viewer window and opening another menu viewer to let you select the button to use for the kill. Then, you do the kill... and the trace tries to continue. Of course, it cannot find the buttons any more, since they have just been deleted, and the error occurs.

Of course, this case should be trapped. I should either refuse to apply Kill PGC Playback when the menu viewer is already opened, or stop the trace when Kill PGC Playback is applied. I will see what I can do. In the meantime, do not use Kill PGC Playback when the menu viewer is opened, and everything will be perfect.

Since I don't have your DVD, I can't verify if the error has caused some problems in your IFOs, but I don't think so. IMO, Kill PGC Playback has made its job well. The error was produced when the trace has continued. Since the trace doesn't modify the DVD (except if you use Blank This Cell/PGC from the preview in trace mode), the error should be harmless.
Old 4th January 2009, 15:16   #93  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

OK, now, if you try to kill playback of a PGC when the menu viewer is opened and trace mode is enabled, a warning is displayed, and you have to close the viewer and relaunch the function.

Note that I have added the same security check as well on several other functions, such as Blank OutAll PGCs Of Domain or Remove LU.

Anyway, remember that it is never safe to modify the structure of the DVD when trace mode is running. (When the menu viewer has been opened automatically by the trace, and even if you are currently in "Step" mode, the trace is running, as it waits for your input, and will at least continue by executing a button command.)
Old 4th January 2009, 17:38   #94  |  Link
mikenadia

Quote:
Anyway, remember that it is never safe to modify the structure of the DVD when trace mode is running.
Does this mean that during the Standard " Jump to PGC upon insert" procedure, I should get out of Trace mode just before clicking on "Jump to PGC upon insert".
And If I do that, when I get out of trace mode, I am sometimes going at the first post-command of the PGC (even if there are pre-commands ) instead of staying at the first pre-command (seems to happen when the "PGC upon insert" is a second level menu). I should manually go back to the first pre-command and then click on "Jump to PGC upon insert. Right ?

Thank you very much.
mikenadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2009, 18:31   #95  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

No! I said "when trace mode is running". When you are in trace mode but you have stopped it, no problem! (In some cases, even that is not safe, but PgcEdit closes the trace mode automatically for you. It's the case, for example, if you try to remap the titlesets.)

But as I have tried to explain above, when the trace has opened the menu viewer and you haven't replied to it yet, then trace mode is currently running, even if you are in step by step mode. In fact, the trace is in the middle of a step, and waits. You should therefore avoid to call a function before having replied to the menu viewer and stopped the trace.
Old 5th January 2009, 07:22   #96  |  Link
selyb

I keep PGCEdit in Trace Mode always I wish trace mode wouldn't turn off when I delete unreferenced pgcs.

Maybe I'm a little ignorant on this but I think the end user should expect problems when he/she edits commands while trace mode is running
selyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2009, 08:13   #97  |  Link
blutach
Country Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by selyb
I wish trace mode wouldn't turn off when I delete unreferenced pgcs.
I too always run with trace mode on and asked r0lZ about this some time back and he said it was necessary. Not sure about the technical reasons but it's only 1 click to get it back on.

Regards

Old 5th January 2009, 11:33   #98  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

As I said above, the trace mode should normally be closed before doing any modification to the DVD (including simple command edits) but I have left this possibility open for the power users that know what they are doing. However, I have to reset completely the trace mode when the structure of the DVD changes in such a way that trying to continue the trace or restart it from a snapshot is not possible. (This was a cause of several bugs in the previous versions.) I have to clear all trace data, and for me, it is easier to close the trace. When it is re-opened, it is reinitialized from scratch, and everything should work fine.
Old 5th January 2009, 11:59   #99  |  Link
blutach
Country Member

@r0lZ - just an idea ....

Is there a way to keep trace open and "automatically" press the open/close tray button instead?

Regards

Old 5th January 2009, 12:44   #100  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

No, sorry but I have had many difficulties with the option to open the trace automatically at startup. This is more complex that it sounds, and has been the source of several bugs. I should have removed this option! Anyway, I'm not going to change that again, to make it even more complex. Click on the button, or use the hotkey. It's not that difficult.