Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > IFO/VOB Editors

Old 1st January 2009, 23:49   #61  |  Link
Big Barn

Can someone tell me where is that setting to speed up
the trace mode.

Thank You
Big Barn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2009, 00:39   #62  |  Link
mikenadia

Trying to understand "restore backup function"

I read Blutach manual in http://www.digital-digest.com/~bluta..._Functions.htm
and it says that it can restore to an earlier state .
It seems (and may be it is wrong) that I am able to go back to the initial stage (straight from the rip) by copying back all the files from the Backup sub-folder (without the menu*.* and comment*.*).
The problem occurs when, after some procedures and doing "remove useless stuff ", the file VIDEO_TS (DVD movie not the IFO file) is deleted rightfully from the VIDEO_TS folder , a backup is made with a timestamp that includes the deleted file, but no trace of the deleted file in the Backup subfolder (therefore the "restore backup" do not bring me to the initial state (until I bring back the deleted file from that specific timestamped backup) and without doing incremental restore, I do not know that I am missing the deleted file.

Thanks for your advice on how to go back to the initial state (without reripping).

And, more important, Happy New Year to all, specially dev(s).

Last edited by mikenadia; 2nd January 2009 at 00:43.
mikenadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2009, 02:04   #63  |  Link
blutach
Country Member

You don't need to copy. Just Ctrl-Alt-N (Restore Incremental backups) all the way back. It also tells you when to (manually) restore the FixVTS, MenuShrink and VobBlanker backups.

Regards

Only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media.
blutach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2009, 04:47   #64  |  Link
mikenadia

Thank you, Blutach.
N.B. Pure cosmetics : when doing a restore in Trace mode , it keeps the breakpoint (but it may be a different file). May be should have the same behaviour as loading a recent file (goto VMG-FP and clear breakpoints). And some "comments" (do not know about SPRM) left when there is no more incremental backup left ( "Jump2PGC_control " left in the "info,GPRM" window))
Thx.

Last edited by mikenadia; 2nd January 2009 at 05:20.
Old 2nd January 2009, 07:25   #65  |  Link
blutach
Country Member

Yes, I've noticed that sometimes some comments are left - I suspect this is because there will have been comments in your 1st incremental backup. They are easy to delete from the File --> Comments and GPRM Labels function. And, of course, the trace is easily re-initialised.

Regards

Old 2nd January 2009, 10:23   #66  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

The backups have to be restored in the correct order. As blu said, use Undo Last Incremental Backup.

Also, to be on the safe side, you should always accept to copy the modified VOBs in the backup folder when prompted to do so. (It's an option, as this could be time consuming or require too much disc space, and some users prefer to take the risk of IFOs-only backups.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Barn View Post
Can someone tell me where is that setting to speed up the trace mode.
In the trace panel, menu "speed". Easy, no?
r0lZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2009, 13:00   #67  |  Link
mikenadia

Great program RolZ. Because I was not backing up the modified VOB (a must) as a consequence of my laziness not risk-taking , my restores were usually not working and that is why I asked those questions. Because it is a chain of incremental backup ( as strong as the weakest link), my advice to " more newbies than me" is do not open a backup folder (yes I did that and will not do it again) as it may affect the chain ( I did not test it).
Thanks a lot.

Last edited by mikenadia; 2nd January 2009 at 13:58.
Old 2nd January 2009, 13:49   #68  |  Link
blutach
Country Member

Opeing the folder is not the issue - certainly, saving the VOBs is a must; otherwise, it is impossible to restore the backup if you have done anything to them (including deleting uncalled PGCs, which will remap the menu button commands and running FixVTS which will delete actual cells from the VOB).

In a restore, it is necessary to manually restore some backups ("alien" backups - eg FixVTS_backup and VobBlanker_backup).

Regards

Old 2nd January 2009, 14:49   #69  |  Link
mikenadia

last question on this subject.I have some incremental backups from PGCEdit , and later on, one made by VOBBlanker (having only cut some frames in some cells before processing).
If I am processing them with DVD-RB and decide to keep everything in the VIDEO_TS folder (including backups from PGCEdit but not the one from VOBblanker), will it be meaningful to use those PGCEdit backups or should I delete them because I did not keep the last backup (made by VOBblanker).
Or may be I should cut the frames first in VOBblanker and then go to PGCEdit ?
Thx for your advice.

Last edited by mikenadia; 2nd January 2009 at 15:01.
Old 2nd January 2009, 15:09   #70  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

A missing backup when restoring things to an earlier stage can have disastrous consequences, but can also be harmless. Usually, if the VOB files are modified, or if the order or the number of titlesets has changed, it is necessary to have the backup. So, if you have deleted a VB backup, you can probably delete all previously made PgcEdit backups, as they are useless.
Old 2nd January 2009, 23:31   #71  |  Link
stereo

Hi r0lZ,

When I launch Firefox (my standard browser) through Help -> Homepage, PgcEdit tells me that Firefox isn't my standard browser. I guess this is a bug, though a small one.

Again, thanks for the new version, glad I donated!
Old 3rd January 2009, 10:42   #72  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Hum, PgcEdit doesn't check your standard browser, and doesn't issue any warning about your browser. Try to reconfigure it via Options -> Input/Output -> Select Web Browser.
Old 3rd January 2009, 14:00   #73  |  Link
stereo

That helped, thanks! I must have configured v8.6 without remembering it...
Old 3rd January 2009, 14:41   #74  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

PgcEdit v9.1

PgcEdit v9.1 released!

This is a bugfix release. Please download and install it as soon as possible, as I have fixed two bugs that can have consequences on the navigation of the DVD!
  • F. DVD -> Clear Useless Set GPRM Commands and Info -> Find Useless Set GPRM Commands were sometimes erroneously considering a GPRM as useless. Clear Useless Set GPRM Commands and DVD -> Remove Useless Stuff were therefore dangerous to use, as they sometimes cleared a useful command.
  • F. DVD -> Delete Last VTS produced an error when a PGC of the last VTS was selected when calling this function. The VTS was not properly deleted from disc.
  • F. Preview -> Automatically Start Preview Playback produced an error. The menu worked as expected though, and the bug had no consequence.
  • F. With the option "Allow tearoff menus" disabled, some entries in the main PgcEdit menu were not enabled when a DVD was loaded.
  • F. Fixed the incorrect View -> Toolbar checkmark.
  • E. Title -> Title Play Map Table: The headers of the columns no longer scroll when using the scroll bar.
  • F. A JumpSS from a VTSM to a menu in another VTS was not flagged as illegal.
  • F. PUO Editor: PgcEdit was frozen after having pasted a value in the Input Value dialog.
  • F. Trace: The trace was stopped and impossible to continue when the preview was enabled and the VOB files were missing.
  • F. Domain Stream Attributes: The new Film/Camera flag was not disabled in read-only mode.
  • F. Since the sources of PgcEdit are no longer publicly available, I've removed all references to the GPL license from the program.
  • F. Fixed several small bugs.

New plugin:
Hex Bit Operands by Morris/Elysium (aka M_Knox):
- Allows display of bit operations values in hex
- Allows display descriptive bit operands
Note that you need PgcEdit v9.1 to use this plugin!

This excellent plugin modifies the way the commands containing bitwise operators are displayed by PgcEdit. There is an option to display the operand in hexadecimal instead of the standard decimal value, and an option to add a description of the affected bits.

For example, the command:
Code:
Set gprm(0) &=(and) 10
can be displayed as:
Code:
Set gprm(0) &=(and) 0x000A (preserve bits 1, 3)
Really useful! Thanks M_Knox!

Last edited by r0lZ; 4th January 2009 at 13:18.
Old 3rd January 2009, 16:18   #75  |  Link
mikenadia

Thanks a lot, R0lZ. No more error messages for me (I had no clue of the bug so cannot say it is fixed ) but everything is perfect on my side.
Also , tried to delete a sub-menu (straight from the rip) and got an error message (cf log: the DVD has ILVU: probably irrelevant).
The error message invites me to fix it with IFOEdit (I'd rather not delete the sub-menu) but should I still go to IFOEdit even without deleting the sub-menu (bad rip or whatever).
Code:
MsgBox "PgcEdit: Kill PGC Playback" -> yes

ERROR!  get_int: Attempt to read 2 bytes at offset 0 (0x0) after end of table!
Variable: cellpostable, length of table: 0
MsgBox "PgcEdit fatal error" -> no
Code:
*** Dialog title: "PgcEdit fatal error"
*** Dialog type: error
*** Dialog message:
Fatal error!
PgcEdit is trying to read data after the
end of a table.
This means that a Length Of Table value
is probably wrong.  (See log.)
Please try to fix the problem with IfoEdit.
The missing value may be fixed to 0, but
this could lead to strange results.
Do you want to fix the value and continue
anyway? (NOT RECOMMENDED!)
*** Dialog buttons: [Yes] [No]
If I click on No,I have an error message :error attempt reading... I can ignore it?
Thanks for your advice.

Last edited by mikenadia; 3rd January 2009 at 16:40.
Old 3rd January 2009, 16:50   #76  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Hum, difficult to understand what's happening. According to the error message, the PGC you've tried to kill is a dummy.
Please read your PMs.
Old 3rd January 2009, 18:36   #77  |  Link
vwpassion

Is there any reason why you can't chose SPRM 0 from the trace mode -> breakpoints -> "SPRM write breakpoints" menu?
vwpassion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2009, 18:44   #78  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

No! I can select it here. Could you give more info? Why can't you chose it? Is it disabled?

Could you also try to enable the breakpoint via Info -> GPRMs (click on the GPRM number) and via the trace Watch window (again, click on the GPRM number)?
Old 3rd January 2009, 19:00   #79  |  Link
vwpassion

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0lZ View Post
No! I can select it here. Could you give more info? Why can't you chose it? Is it disabled?

Could you also try to enable the breakpoint via Info -> GPRMs (click on the GPRM number) and via the trace Watch window (again, click on the GPRM number)?
It just doesn't appear in the menu.

Click here for another screenshot.
vwpassion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2009, 19:16   #80  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Hoops, sorry, I haven't read your message carefully enough. I thought you were speaking of GPRM 0.

SPRM 0 (the preferred menu language) is not available, simply because it cannot be written by a VM command. The only way to modify its value is by using the player configuration menu. Therefore, it doesn't make sense to watch it. (Same thing for SPRMs 12, 13 and 15 to 23.)

However, note that you can actually enable the watch function for those read-only SPRMs by clicking on the SPRM number in the Watch or Info->SPRMs windows, but of course, it's useless.