Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > New and alternative video codecs

Old 27th November 2003, 06:49   #1  |  Link
HighFive

WMV will not play after re-installing OS?

My C drive crashed on me the other day, and now that I have a new drive installed and WinXP re-installed, I can not play some of my WMV9 files off of a separate 160GB hard-drive. Could this be a license issue? Or do I just have all sorts of probelms with my computer right now?

My set up is a 40gb c drive, and then the semi-corrupted 160gb western digital drive for TV Caps, and a 160gb maxtor drive for DVD rips.

It's weird because Maxtor is the one who said I needed to install drivers for drives larger than 132gb in windows, or you can lose data. WD didn't say sqaut...and all my files on the maxtor are doing just fine. Hmmm....
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2003, 11:14   #2  |  Link
zambelli
Doom9ing since 2001

Did you install WMP9 too after reinstalling XP? I would recommend that, considering that you're trying to play v9 content.

I doubt that DRM is the issue here. It doesn't magically appear on files unless they were authored with DRM. If your WMV files weren't purchased from a online video store or came on a DVD (i.e. T2, or Standing In the Shadows of Motown), they probably aren't DRM protected.
zambelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2003, 12:24   #3  |  Link
Beastie Boy

WMP9 will play WMV files without any codecs installed.
The alternative is to install the WMV9 VCM codec from the MS site.

@zambelli
It's good to see some representation from MS on this forum. Quite a few members are trying out WMV9 and some "official support" could be very useful.

Cheers, Beastie.
Beastie Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2003, 23:36   #4  |  Link
LeonMcNichol
Chief Inspector

Update to XP SP1. IIRC, it doesn't have a problem reading from a 132GB+ HDs.
LeonMcNichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2003, 04:55   #5  |  Link
HighFive

Yep, I installed SP1 (and all the other recommended updates), along with WMP9 before I even tried to play any of the files. I've also downloaded the WM9 codec pack to double check. And I encoded all these myself, so I am 99.99% that I did not add any DRM protection, but it is just funny that some of the files work and some don't.

I was trying to figure it out earlier this afternoon, and I could import the videos into WMP9, but when I tried to play them, they were pulling content from my DVD Rips drive (i.e.: they were playing clips from my DVD mpgs instead of the WMV file I was clicking on...weird.)

I'm starting to think my primary IDE channel went bad and corrupted my original C drive and maybe a few files on the WD 160gb (if this is even possible.) So now I'm not using any HD on the motherboard's IDE cables, I'm using a IDE card that card with one of the drives.

One more question, do I really need to install crap (bloatware?) from Maxtor for my Maxtor 160gb drive? (This is the non-corrupted drive) They say I could lose data, which hasn't happend yet (on this drive), if I don't install their MaxBlast. I think their fibbing...
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2003, 11:42   #6  |  Link
zambelli
Doom9ing since 2001

What happens when you try to play those WMV files with another player? Do you get the same behavior?
zambelli is offline   Reply With Quote