Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 4th November 2019, 10:37   #721  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
on default your sony TV needs limited range like every other screen too anyway.
I think only I know how my screen actually behaves.
Because its actually smart and fully adapts to the input signal, I've never had to change the range config in the screen, and if I change in the control panel from full to limited the visual look doesn't change because it auto-adapts. HDMI has all the image properties in metadata, unfortunately the majority of TVs quite simply ignore it and expect some default mode.

Last edited by nevcairiel; 4th November 2019 at 10:39.
nevcairiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2019, 10:47   #722  |  Link
huhn

not saying your screen doesn't but the only ways for a screen to change a setting in the nvidia control panel is by pretending to be a new different screen or by HDMI content type which is again not properly supported. there is a very good reason not to do that.

auto level support is not that rare but not the point what nvidia choices to send.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2019, 16:27   #723  |  Link
kostik

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTPVHD View Post
This latest GeForce Game Ready driver ( 441.12) enables G-SYNC Compatible support on LG’s 2019 B9, C9 and E9 4K OLED TVs.
Old 4th November 2019, 17:30   #724  |  Link
Klaus1189

I heard G-Sync shouldn't be used with madVR. It is designed for gaming, but brings trouble with madVR or general video playing, isn't it?

Should I leave the elevated level info on the two drivers or should I remove it, or maybe add only when using 12 bit if I understood it correctly.
Klaus1189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2019, 18:43   #725  |  Link
cremor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
Sounds to me like black levels work as expected, but people get messed up Full vs Limited for some reasons, which in my experience is primarily an issue only on TVs which dont advertise full range support on their edid
If that's the case, why would those same people report that going back to older driver versions fixes the elevated blacks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaus1189 View Post
I heard G-Sync shouldn't be used with madVR. It is designed for gaming, but brings trouble with madVR or general video playing, isn't it?
Yes, G-Sync messes with madVR and should be disabled. But you don't have to disable it completely. The driver actually automatically disables it for some known executables of media players like MPC-HC. For players that are not handled by the driver by default you can use nvidiaProfileInspector.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaus1189 View Post
Should I leave the elevated level info on the two drivers or should I remove it, or maybe add only when using 12 bit if I understood it correctly.
According to this post 8 bit is affected too. You can more clearly see it in the older version of the post, which is still available in the quote here.

edit:
Found a new post: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...l#post58773938
So Nvidia officially confirmed the black level bug and 441.12 is still affected, but it seems like it only affects LG OLEDs.

Last edited by cremor; 4th November 2019 at 18:56.
cremor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2019, 22:05   #726  |  Link
Klaus1189

AMD released new Radeon Driver 19.11.1
Klaus1189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2019, 15:26   #727  |  Link
Nastenka

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremor View Post
Yes, G-Sync messes with madVR and should be disabled. But you don't have to disable it completely. The driver actually automatically disables it for some known executables of media players like MPC-HC. For players that are not handled by the driver by default you can use nvidiaProfileInspector.
Is the automatic disabling a new thing? I noticed that with an older Studio driver I had to set MPC-HC to Fixed refresh rate manually, while on this current driver set the option is greyed out and says "not supported for this application".
Windows 10 Pro
Nastenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2019, 17:48   #728  |  Link
cremor

I don't know when this was added to the driver. I've bought my first G-Sync monitor in December 2018 and back then it was already there. Since "studio" drivers are way newer, they should have already supported that.
cremor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2019, 14:48   #729  |  Link
Decalicatan_Decalicatan

Hi!

Do you know if there an issue with the recent nvidia drivers when playing a HDR video with "Compromise on HDR tome & gamut mapping accuracy" unchecked?

I was previously using Nvidia Driver 430.53 for my GTX 1070 and everything was fine when I played a HDR file (mpc-be with madvr "Compromise on HDR tome & gamut mapping accuracy" unchecked | SDR monitor)

I have updated the drivers to 436.48, and now when I play a HDR file the image is nearly completely dark. If I check "Compromise on HDR tome & gamut mapping accuracy" the image is watchable again.
But of course I'd prefer not compromise on HDR tome & gamut mapping accuracy.

madvr version is the latest one available on avsforum.

Thanks in advance.
Decalicatan_Decalicatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2019, 15:20   #730  |  Link
Manni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decalicatan_Decalicatan View Post
Hi!

Do you know if there an issue with the recent nvidia drivers when playing a HDR video with "Compromise on HDR tome & gamut mapping accuracy" unchecked?

I was previously using Nvidia Driver 430.53 for my GTX 1070 and everything was fine when I played a HDR file (mpc-be with madvr "Compromise on HDR tome & gamut mapping accuracy" unchecked | SDR monitor)

I have updated the drivers to 436.48, and now when I play a HDR file the image is nearly completely dark. If I check "Compromise on HDR tome & gamut mapping accuracy" the image is watchable again.
But of course I'd prefer not compromise on HDR tome & gamut mapping accuracy.

madvr version is the latest one available on avsforum.

Thanks in advance.
This is because you have not disabled measurements files.

I use the latest nVidia driver and there is no issue with that option.

Just disable all measurements files in the configuration section at the end of MadVR settings. They are not supported with the latest test builds.

If you don't use measurements files, then it might be something else, but it's not the driver.
Denon X8500HA>HD Fury VRRoom>TCL 55C805K
Manni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2019, 16:48   #731  |  Link
Grimsdyke

If Manni's advise does not solve this you should also check if 'don't measure HDR frame peak luminance' is also unchecked.
Grimsdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2019, 17:53   #732  |  Link
Decalicatan_Decalicatan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni View Post
This is because you have not disabled measurements files.

Just disable all measurements files in the configuration section at the end of MadVR settings. They are not supported with the latest test builds.
Thank you! You were absolutely right.

I didn't get the news about the measurements files. Change occurs so fast with MadVR beta in the "other forum" so it is very easy to miss relevant info.

Regards
Decalicatan_Decalicatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2019, 20:09   #733  |  Link
TechnoPeasant

I wonder if the recent issues with the Nvidia drivers are what I'm experiencing too. I'm unable to watch any HDR content using RGB at all. No matter what I do, the black levels wash out. Instead, I have to switch to ycbr 4:4:4, 12-bit, limited to maintain correct black levels, which I'm sure is less than ideal.

I think this all happened after a Windows update, but I'm not entirely sure. Unfortunately, on my Vizio PQ65, I'm only able to change color space manually, and not video levels.

Sucks when you have everything setup just right, and some crap Windows update ruins things.

If any of you have any suggestions, as to how I can better work around this issue, please let me know. I saw someone mentioned having to choose "PC" resolutions instead of the UHD stuff, but that category of resolutions doesn't show up in NVCP.
TechnoPeasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2019, 01:37   #734  |  Link
Warner306

"Color Space" in the Vizio picture menu should be set to "RGB." That is all I know. I don't know if that setting currently exists on the newest Vizio models, though.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2019, 01:46   #735  |  Link
TechnoPeasant

Yeah, color space is there, and I can set it to RGB, but unfortunately the result is still washed out.
Old 11th November 2019, 11:52   #736  |  Link
Warner306

This is with the Nvidia control panel set to output RGB 0-255?

Maybe the display now has some type of levels adjustment?
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2019, 14:49   #737  |  Link
TechnoPeasant

Yeah, RGB 0-255. That's what I'm thinking, that the TV is trying to be too helpful. That said, the Nvidia driver issues sound very similar.
Old 12th November 2019, 05:04   #738  |  Link
TechnoPeasant

Can confirm, the latest Vizio 4.0 firmware did nothing. I suspect the latest Windows 10 update has something to do with this, and the nvidia driver hasn't accounted for it. Bummer.
Old 15th November 2019, 10:36   #739  |  Link
huhn

AMD got a new driver too: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/re...ad-win-19-11-2
the changes are minimal at best. i will test DXVA2 stuff later.

edit: DXVA2 levels are broken
deint is still broken
i don't test dxva2 native decode anymore until they fix the very obvious stuff.

Last edited by huhn; 15th November 2019 at 13:51.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2019, 18:50   #740  |  Link
NikosD

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
I don't test dxva2 native decode anymore until they fix the very obvious stuff.
As long as AMD says that "Movies & TV" works fine with HW acceleration, they will probably don't bother much to comply with other players.
The other players should comply to AMD, according to AMD.
NikosD is offline   Reply With Quote