Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 27th August 2017, 13:10   #45141  |  Link
a8213711

Hey madshi can you check your PM?
a8213711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2017, 16:11   #45142  |  Link
Jasch

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
madVR v0.92.2 released

Nothing fancy, just many bug fixes and small improvements. Funny enough, DXVA2 decoding of HDR content suddenly works on my AMD RX 560, not sure why.
Hi Madshi can you plz share some info on your settings running RX460 with Hdr.
IŽam trying since yesterday but not TV will not switch to HDR.

Info screen shows playback is fine.
Jasch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2017, 17:05   #45143  |  Link
austinminton

Autoswitching to HDR has stopped working in FSE with the latest madvr (0.92.2). This was working fine with the previous release (0.92.1). I have tried updating to the latest LAV nightly and nvidia drivers but no change. It works fine in non FSE mode.

Windows 10 creators update
GTX 1080 (385.41)
mpc-hc x64 (1.7.13)
Lav nightly 0.72.2-66(DXVA2 copyback)
madvr (0.92.2)

Please note that deleting 0.92.2 and going back to 0.92.1 instantly fixes the problem

Edit: I have tried both passthrough HDR and let madvr decide. Both work fine for 0.92.1 and neither works for 0.92.2.

Last edited by austinminton; 27th August 2017 at 17:13. Reason: for hdr options
austinminton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2017, 17:27   #45144  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by el Filou View Post
Those are film, right? Film on DVD - if properly encoded - is supposed to be IVTC'd, not deinterlaced as with video.
With EVR, the GPU can do that ("Use inverse telecine"/"Pulldown detection" option in video settings) but I think madVR cannot use the GPU's IVTC (at least it doesn't work on my NVIDIA).

The easiest way to make sure your film DVDs - both NTSC and PAL -
are handled properly is to manually enable film mode:
1. Make sure to use copy-back or software decoding
2. Use Ctrl+Alt+Shift+T to cycle through deinterlace modes and set it to Film: https://snag.gy/U7bW2L.jpg

Edit: I can't test this with NTSC DVDs as I don't own any, sorry.
madVR is using the same deinterlancer as EVR if the GPU IVTC option is active madVR will use it too but it is not really doing an IVTC it is just going addional field matching and still outputting 60/50 hz

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDisk80 View Post
I don't understand why this window needed at all, why not just open "Edit Settings" directly. The "Show Tray Icon" can be enabled and disabled from there.
Or am I missing something?

Edit: Oh, to check the "Pin Info" tab? I guess that's why. Maybe all that info can be moved to "Edit Settings" for quick easy access? The same as it's done in LAV.
Clicks can be saved
the setting dialog is general the pin info is not it is for the currently running madVR instance/player.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2017, 18:33   #45145  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by petran79 View Post
For quite a while I get this issue with Madvr. The OK button seems out of window border
Does it have to do with resolution?
The window itself is coming from the media player, madVR just draws the "inside". On my PC the media player shows no "Help" button which means all buttons are visible. In any case, I think it's the media player's job to make sure that all the buttons drawn by the media player fit into the window, so I don't think it's my problem to fix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a8213711 View Post
Hey madshi can you check your PM?
Please use this thread to report problems. You can send me links via PM if that's really necessary, but I'm not providing support via PM. So unless you report your problem in this thread, I'm not going to do anything about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasch View Post
Hi Madshi can you plz share some info on your settings running RX460 with Hdr.
IŽam trying since yesterday but not TV will not switch to HDR.
What is your OS? Do you have D3D11 presentation active? And your display set to 10bit? Please post a screenshot of the OSD (Ctrl+J) in fullscreen view. If you're using FSE mode, you probably will have to use your digicam to make a screenshot. Don't attach the image to this thread, please upload it somewhere else and then just link to it here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinminton View Post
Autoswitching to HDR has stopped working in FSE with the latest madvr (0.92.2). This was working fine with the previous release (0.92.1). I have tried updating to the latest LAV nightly and nvidia drivers but no change. It works fine in non FSE mode.
Oh well, my workaround for FSE mode with the latest Nvidia drivers has stopped working. I'll make it work again in the next build.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2017, 18:37   #45146  |  Link
oddball

Auto switching to HDR on my AMD RX 480 has never ever worked. I have to manually switch to HDR mode in Windows 10 display properties for the display, make sure FSE is disabled and click on the MadVR systray icon. If I hover over the MadVR systray icon it works for 10 seconds then goes back to washed out colors/brightness. Maybe I should make a video demonstrating this. BTW the LG OLED is display 3 in a 3 monitor setup. I will try making it the main display and disabling the other two to see if it makes any difference. I'll get back to you on that.

EDIT: Nope! Made no difference. I disconnected the two non-HDR capable displays and set the LG OLED as default display 1. Same problem. HDR does not auto switch. I have to toggle it in display properties. But when playing back HDR videos they are washed out. I have discovered that this is only in full screen mode though (Note: I don't mean full screen exclusive). If I make it fullscreen it goes washed out again. But if I move the mouse cursor to the bottom of the display so the playback controls appear it pops back into correct HDR mode again. Likewise if I make the player windowed it also plays HDR correctly.

Madshi. does this clue you in at all?

Last edited by oddball; 27th August 2017 at 19:28.
oddball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2017, 18:47   #45147  |  Link
har3inger

Hmm. As of latest update, 10 bit videos on the laptop now have very large spikes in render time every 2-5 seconds. Reverting to the one a couple weeks ago fixes this. This is the one with an HD 8870 slaved onto an intel hd4000.

Oddly enough, the desktop playing the same file is fine. This one has an RX480, with no intel CPU enabled.

Last edited by har3inger; 27th August 2017 at 18:51.
har3inger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2017, 19:00   #45148  |  Link
FDisk80

Quote:
Ok, thanks. Both crash reports are basically identical. Will see what I can do with them.
D3D11 DXVA doesn't crash anymore with v0.92.2
But now the video freezes for about 3 seconds each time there is a switch between full screen and windowed mode with refresh rate change. Than the video continues normally.

This freeze only happens with D3D11 Native mode.
If I select a hardware device and use D3D11 Copy Back the 3 second freeze goes away.

Or does it just kicks out of D3D11 DXVA mode when I manually select a hardware device?

LAV does say "d3d11 cb direct" but OSD doesn't say it.
Native mode does show (DXVA11) in OSD.

Last edited by FDisk80; 27th August 2017 at 19:24.
FDisk80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2017, 19:04   #45149  |  Link
AngelGraves13

Thanks for the quick bug fix release. Everything is working fine on my end now. No more crashes or lockups of the media player with DX11 decoding.
AngelGraves13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2017, 19:09   #45150  |  Link
mickeekung

Can't play video when chroma upscaling NNEDI3 activated. Error detected also when try to change to NNEDI3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hILLamChO8I
mickeekung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2017, 19:18   #45151  |  Link
aufkrawall

I can confirm that madVR always crashes when using NNEDI3 chroma scaling + D3D11VA decoding at the same time on GTX 1070.

madshi, did you see my question regarding D3D11VA scaling/deinterlacing ETA? I know that you usually don't comment about ETAs, but I'd be also happy about a simple "when it's done".
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2017, 19:29   #45152  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Interesting! Did you also try editing the horizontal porches in such a way that they're dividable by 2, 4 or even 8? Maybe it works that way?
Yes! Even simply keeping the porches even causes TV to be fine with custom settings even in 12-bit. I can use one of the "80" compatibility modes that, in my case, adds 36 to the front porch and modifies the pixel clock for no expected frame drops/repeats ever.

I had modified each setting by one and it went crazy on the horizontal porches but simply using 2 instead would have been fine.

(minor spelling error in the optimize timing parameters window: compatability should be compatibility)

Quote:
Can you provide more information on how to reproduce this?
If I set my display to any other refresh rate (e.g. 30 or 60 Hz), and then play a 23Hz video with auto refresh rate switching enabled in madVR, playback takes an oddly long time to start (longer then just the refresh rate switch) and LAV has fallen back to avcodec for decoding when it does start (and there is no DXVA2 in madVR's OSD). 8-bit or 12-bit doesn't change this behavior and DXVA2 copyback is fine.
Old 27th August 2017, 19:31   #45153  |  Link
Gee

Is it possible to render video Files with madVR, also? Or only live viewing rendering?
Gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2017, 19:35   #45154  |  Link
Asmodian

Only live viewing, there is no mechanism that will copy the rendered video back off the GPU. madshi has mentioned that this may come some day.
Old 27th August 2017, 19:38   #45155  |  Link
Gee

ok
Gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2017, 22:07   #45156  |  Link
egandt

I'm seeing a possible issue with HDR playback in 0.92.2, I see HDR for a second then nothing SDR, however if I then uncheck click ok, then select and click ok "send HDR metadata to the display" HDR play works, so I have to manually cycle this radio button to get HDR playback.

Running 0.92.1 I do not see this issue, however with 0.92.1 I have no sound using HDR. for now I will manually select/deselect "send HDR metadata to the display", in 0.92.2 as sound is always better.

Thanks,
ERIC
egandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2017, 03:31   #45157  |  Link
austinminton

Quote:
Oh well, my workaround for FSE mode with the latest Nvidia drivers has stopped working. I'll make it work again in the next build.
Just to point out that previous madvr 0.92.1 still correctly switches to HDR in FSE using latest nvidia drivers (385.41). Guess something has changed in 0.92.2 as well.
austinminton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2017, 06:35   #45158  |  Link
oldpainlesskodi

1080 on Win 10 (non-creators) using madvr (0.92.2) with driver 385.28 HDR FSE working fine.

K
oldpainlesskodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2017, 06:53   #45159  |  Link
70MM
X Cinema Projectionist NZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by el Filou View Post
Those are film, right? Film on DVD - if properly encoded - is supposed to be IVTC'd, not deinterlaced as with video.
Thank you elFilou I think its now fixed.
I have auto deinterlacing ticked plus manual film mode ticked.
NTSC DVDs are not dropping/repeating frames and are displaing ivtc'd and Pal DVDs are not dropping/repeating frames and are also displaying ivtc'd.

So for now I think its all working and switching automatically now for NTSC/Pal DVDs.
70MM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2017, 06:57   #45160  |  Link
Asmodian

I don't usually use exclusive mode so I hadn't noticed but with madVR 0.92.2, Win 10 1703, and a Titan XP with driver 385.41 my TV does switch out of HDR when exclusive mode activates.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling