Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 24th October 2011, 17:45   #10401  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastplayer View Post
madshi, there's a typo in OSD. It says "limited range (says bistream)" instead of bitstream.
Thanks, fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cca View Post
Unfortunately it supports nothing besides 60Hz, or I would have tried. It's an 32" LCD TV with an analogue VGA (RGB) input, I watch everything video related there. It used to have HDMI, but the inputs failed at some point and it's out of warranty for years now. I want to replace it but cannot afford it really, recession...
To be honest, I'm not sure about the "magnitude" of the judder you're seeing. It could be a real problem caused by a bug in madVR or a bug in the GPU drivers. But it could also be just the result of the fact that madVR is not yet optimized for 24fps @ 60Hz playback. I would have to see it with my own eyes to judge that, I guess. Since you did managed to get smooth 30fps @ 60Hz playback, my best guess is that the problem you're seeing will go away once I spend some time to optimize 24fps @ 60Hz. Actually after I did that, madVR should be much smoother than any other renderer with 24fps @ 60Hz. But I don't know when exactly I'll find time for that. I've so many other important things on my to do list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuj View Post
Yes I'm using exclusive mode.

Here are 4 logs file
Thanks. I've seen 2 weird things in the logs:

(1) madVR does some funny things, which I think I've now fixed in my sources. So the next madVR build might already solve the problem for you. Or maybe not.

(2) The splitter you're using ("AVI Splitter") creates very bad timestamps. Practically there are always 2 frames which have identical timestamps. That makes it difficult for madVR to achieve smooth motion. madVR tries, and fails, which I might have just fixed (see (1)). But ideally the splitter should not create such bad timestamps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jovovick View Post
having some issue with Nvidia GT 550M with Optimus.

when used with MPC-HC v1.5.2.3456 or PotPlayer v1.5.29917, after a while video will freeze but audio continue.

When used with intergrated Intel HD 3000, playback is error free.
A freeze is weird. I'd suggest to try updating to the latest MPC-HC/PotPlayer versions, just to be safe. Then it might make sense to reset the madVR options to default. Furthermore make sure you that you've disabled (or set to application preference) anisotropic filtering and anti-aliasing in your GPU settings. Finally, make sure your GPU clocks don't jump around during playback and try without Reclock, just as a test.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
The glitches never were a problem on the old exclusive mode, and everything was running perfectly fine as well. People also reported that going back to it solves their problem (in the case when glitches are actually visible).
The old exclusive mode worked well for many people, but not for all. The new one should in theory be much better, but practically it isn't for some people, while it is for others. Personally, the old exclusive mode never worked well on my NVidia 9400 HTPC when playing back 25fps @ 50Hz, while I can get the new one work well (with special settings).

Quote:
So maybe its also doing something that is not "normal" for a "game" to do?
Actually the old exclusive mode is less like what games do than the new one. The new one does in large parts do what games do. However, madVR doesn't use double buffering or triple buffering, but instead 8-times-buffering (by default). Games don't do that. You can simulate double-buffering or triple-buffering by settings the number of pre-rendered frames to 2 or 3 and by disabling all exclusive mode tweak options. That way madVR should behave quite similar to a game. All the tweak options move madVR away from what a game usually does.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2011, 17:59   #10402  |  Link
HeadlessCow

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirlouy View Post
Why upscale it ?
Let it at 20 in window mode, and 20 in Full Screen.
If you just do that, anything that is positioned over the video (like a sign), will not look correct.
HeadlessCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2011, 18:15   #10403  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennae View Post
New nVidia WHQL drivers are up! Working great with mpc-hc + lav filters + madvr.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7-wi...ql-driver.html
Did they fix any issue you were having with the previous driver?
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2011, 18:20   #10404  |  Link

OK, with the new 285.62 WHQL drivers, things may have been fixed.
I was definitely seeing less presentation glitches than with the betas without making any changes. (there definitely seems to have been more with most beta drivers I've tried)

EDIT: Nope, didn't work, still glitching.

I need to do longer testing to be sure though, and want to see if all of those settings are necessary.
"run presentation in a separate thread" did not have any benefit previously (may actually have been detrimental) but seems to have helped this time.

I wish things weren't so tempermental.

Last edited by 6233638; 25th October 2011 at 14:12.
6233638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2011, 18:36   #10405  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

madVR v0.77 released

http://madshi.net/madVR.zip

Code:
* added support for ffmpeg/libav h264 4:2:2 decoding
* optimized ffmpeg/libav compiling options
* fixed: madVR disliked getting 2 frames with identical timecodes all the time
* modified autodetect priorities slightly
Old 24th October 2011, 19:15   #10406  |  Link
cca
Anime Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
To be honest, I'm not sure about the "magnitude" of the judder you're seeing. It could be a real problem caused by a bug in madVR or a bug in the GPU drivers. But it could also be just the result of the fact that madVR is not yet optimized for 24fps @ 60Hz playback. I would have to see it with my own eyes to judge that, I guess. Since you did managed to get smooth 30fps @ 60Hz playback, my best guess is that the problem you're seeing will go away once I spend some time to optimize 24fps @ 60Hz. Actually after I did that, madVR should be much smoother than any other renderer with 24fps @ 60Hz. But I don't know when exactly I'll find time for that. I've so many other important things on my to do list.
Patience is one thing that I do have, I'll test it when the time comes.
Old 24th October 2011, 19:48   #10407  |  Link
Peuj

Quote:
Thanks. I've seen 2 weird things in the logs:

(1) madVR does some funny things, which I think I've now fixed in my sources. So the next madVR build might already solve the problem for you. Or maybe not.

(2) The splitter you're using ("AVI Splitter") creates very bad timestamps. Practically there are always 2 frames which have identical timestamps. That makes it difficult for madVR to achieve smooth motion. madVR tries, and fails, which I might have just fixed (see (1)). But ideally the splitter should not create such bad timestamps.
Thanks madshi.

I didn't test the new version yet but just to say about the "2 frames" problem, it's most probably due to an option in PotPlayer called "Motion Blur".
If you want to make some tests it's under Preference=>Video=>Video Processing: Motion Blur.
Peuj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2011, 19:50   #10408  |  Link
Budtz

What does these two points do?
Budtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2011, 20:02   #10409  |  Link
whitestar999

@peuj,disable all video post processing options in potplayer & then see if it helps with madvr.personally i prefer ffdshow raw filter for post processing instead of using pot player's internal ones.
whitestar999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2011, 20:36   #10410  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6233638 View Post
OK, with the new 285.62 WHQL drivers, things may have been fixed.
Things definitely changed, i needed to tweak my settings some.
"Limit rendering times to avoid glitches" is now off, however i had to set "flush & wait (sleep)" for ".. after D3D presentation".
This is combined with 12 buffers and "use separate device for presentation"

Running strong both for 24@24 and 25@50.
Old 24th October 2011, 21:19   #10411  |  Link
gerhard.kiels

Good day to you all! I couldn't find this mentioned anywhere else no matter how hard I tried, so here it goes:

I would like to report an inconvenience bug:

I use madVR v0.77 in mpc homecinema v1.5.2.3456.

Whenever I set "use 10bit chroma/luma buffer instead of 16bit" in the "trade quality for performance" tab in madvr options, I get a periodically flashing OSD message that says "madVR reports: creating 10bit render texture failed, used 8bit instead".

Now, about the fact that madVR uses 8bit instead of 10bit - I couldn't care less, because my eyes can't tell the difference. What bothers me is that it constantly flashes on the screen! What I mean by that is that when I press "ctrl+j" i get that OSD message displayed all the time in the upper left side corner of the screen (whitch is unaccaptable while watching anything), and when I turn off the OSD by pressing the same "ctrl+j" again it disappears only to start periodically flashing on the screen. It's like disappearing, displaying and then disappearing again 2 times a second, then it disappears for like 40 seconds and then starts flashing again 2 times a second (these are only estimates). Sometimes it helps to press "ctrl+j" twice to remove the flashing, but every time it comes back after a while. And just to clarify: I use these options because I have an old system with a poor Geforce 7 7600GS, whitch can't handle 720p videos in 16bit processing modes. Besause of that I do appreciate the existence of those options very much.

On top of that, I can't see the actual stats that the OSD should show when I press "ctrl+j" - only that message is displayed.

So I would like to ask: is that message so important? Can't it simply be removed or moved to only the debug-version?

Other than that - a really splendid renderer!
gerhard.kiels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2011, 21:42   #10412  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cca View Post
Patience is one thing that I do have, I'll test it when the time comes.
Good. Just check back every couple of weeks/months. Sooner or later I hope to get special support in for 24fps @ 60Hz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budtz View Post

What does these two points do?
Nothing but 2 small bug fixes, which you shouldn't notice, unless you had these exact specific problems before.

Quote:
"Limit rendering times to avoid glitches" is now off, however i had to set "flush & wait (sleep)" for ".. after D3D presentation".
Interesting. I'm really wondering why different driver versions need different madVR settings. I guess I should finally post a proper bug report to NVidia with some source code.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerhard.kiels View Post
Whenever I set "use 10bit chroma/luma buffer instead of 16bit" in the "trade quality for performance" tab in madvr options, I get a periodically flashing OSD message that says "madVR reports: creating 10bit render texture failed, used 8bit instead".

Now, about the fact that madVR uses 8bit instead of 10bit - I couldn't care less, because my eyes can't tell the difference. What bothers me is that it constantly flashes on the screen!
I understand. Haven't seen a GPU yet which couldn't do 10bit textures. Have you tried updating to the latest drivers for your GPU? There should be a visible difference at least with test patterns. 8bit is really too low to avoid banding in certain situations. But I understand that the madVR message doesn't make much sense. I mean either madVR supports 8bit textures or it doesn't. If it does, you should be able to use it that way. However, I at least wanted to let the user (you) know that something isn't as it should be. Oh well.

Last edited by madshi; 24th October 2011 at 21:46.
Old 24th October 2011, 21:50   #10413  |  Link
gerhard.kiels

@madshi

Yes, I always have the latest version of drivers installed (in fact, today I installed Forceware version 285.58). I run windows XP, and weather I enable or disable "use managed upload textures" has no effect on the phenomenon. Could it be that because my graphics card is in an AGP socket it can't do 10-bit textures?

Can you remove the message then nonetheless?
gerhard.kiels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2011, 00:33   #10414  |  Link
Plutotype

problematic file or settings/hardware?

Hi,
I have the latest versions of MPC-HC 3794, LAVfilters 0.38RC, Reclock and madVR 0.77. With following video file I experience dropped frames and can not find the cause for this. The frames are dropping because the present que is not stable. If I have buffer set to 12 ( exclusive mode ), the present que goes from 10-11 to 0 and at that moment it causes frames to drop:
http://www.mediafire.com/?1rja6beiptppzq8

What makes this video file special that it causes madVR to drop frames in my setup?

Thanks for help.

Last edited by Plutotype; 25th October 2011 at 07:34.
Plutotype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2011, 02:19   #10415  |  Link
Gary.M

I've updated to the new Nvidia driver, and latest madVR, and under Jriver 16 I still have the presentation glitches...

Nevcairiel could you list exactly all the settings you're now using? My usage is almost exclusively PAL 25 fps on a 50Hz projector. I have resorted to the old presentation path at the moment as is "seems" to not glitch.

I also have ordered an AMD 6670 to see if the "other side" can deliver the glitch free playback I am looking for.

Quote:

Running strong both for 24@24 and 25@50.
Gary.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2011, 02:54   #10416  |  Link
06_taro
soy sauce buyer

Crash when decoding 10-bit 4:2:2 AVC using madVR's internal libav decoder, LAV Video decoder (outputs P210) and madVR's renderer plays fine.

Crash decoding environment:
mpc-hc 1.5.3.3755 xvidvideo BEmod x86
LAV Splitter git-r1380(be78b9e) ( can be downloaded here )
madVR 0.77 internal libav decoder and renderer
Windows 7 SP 1 x64 Ultimate

8-bit 4:2:2 works fine with madVR's internal libav decoder.

Last edited by 06_taro; 25th October 2011 at 02:56.
06_taro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2011, 04:15   #10417  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

Quote:
Haven't seen a GPU yet which couldn't do 10bit textures.
Sure you have, my 7800 GTX 512 is unable to do 10bit textures with madVR, and I've told you that a few times before. gerhard.kiels has a Geforce 7600GS, another NVIDIA 7-series card, so it's unsurprising that he can't get it working either.

Edit: I found the info below in an NVIDIA PDF for reference.

Last edited by cyberbeing; 25th October 2011 at 04:53.
cyberbeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2011, 09:02   #10418  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerhard.kiels View Post
Can you remove the message then nonetheless?
Will do. Or maybe replace it with a one-time-only (and self removing) warning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plutotype View Post
What makes this video file special that it causes madVR to drop frames in my setup?
The sample runs fine on my HTPC (XPSP3, Radeon 6850). You can upload a log, maybe I can see something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06_taro View Post
Crash when decoding 10-bit 4:2:2 AVC using madVR's internal libav decoder, LAV Video decoder (outputs P210) and madVR's renderer plays fine.
Do you have a sample for me? That would be great, I don't have a 10bit 4:2:2 file here. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbeing View Post
Sure you have, my 7800 GTX 512 is unable to do 10bit textures with madVR, and I've told you that a few times before.
I don't remember. But your GPU is fast enough to use 16bit textures, right? Probably that's why it didn't stick with me that your GPU can't do 10bit.
Old 25th October 2011, 11:00   #10419  |  Link
The Seeker

Is it okay to install new versions over the top, or I do have to uninstall the old version first?
The Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2011, 11:07   #10420  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

In most cases you can even simply replace the files without having to reinstall at all. If you do feel the need to install, it might make sense to also uninstall first, but neither is usually needed.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling