Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 15th October 2017, 13:22   #46561  |  Link
Jtacdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Ok, igv updated AdaptiveSharpen again yesterday. His latest version doesn't sharpen grain as much, anymore, but still more than the original AS version. If you don't like the grain, why don't you use "reduce random noise" in madVR? Also, your original image is quite visibly distorted by compression artifacts. Seems not all of them originated from JPEG, but some were already in your original video. The new "reduce compression artifacts" option works pretty well for this kind of problem. Here's how your image looks like with the following settings, using igv's latest AdaptiveSharpen version:

reduce compression artifacts: 5
reduce random noise: 1

http://madVR.com/doom9/stuff/asRnnRca.png

Maybe I've gone a bit overboard with the "reduce compression artifacts" strength, but with Anime content high values often barely harm.
It's definitely overboard.
Have a look at the samples below with the same above settings. Comes from the same episode.
It's something that has to be use with care or be turned off with quality high resolution content.

Original https://www.mediafire.com/file/iq6epk00eef57e0/Off.png

Rca-5, rra-1 https://www.mediafire.com/view/iwdjz...2C%20RRA-1.png

That said, the new features does work magic on sd and poorly mastered sd-to-hd anime content. Thanks madshi!
Old 15th October 2017, 13:29   #46562  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtacdf View Post
It's definitely overboard.
Have a look at the samples below with the same above settings. Comes from the same episode.
It's something that has to be use with care or be turned off with quality high resolution content.

Original https://www.mediafire.com/file/iq6epk00eef57e0/Off.png

Rca-5, rra-1 https://www.mediafire.com/view/iwdjz...2C%20RRA-1.png

That said, the new features does work magic on sd and poorly mastered sd-to-hd anime content. Thanks madshi!
Yeah, there's clear texture loss in this example. I was just turning all the knobs up to eleven to get rid of those nasty compression artifacts. Much lower values already help a lot, too, of course, and should not damage textures as much.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2017, 13:50   #46563  |  Link
mparade

Hello,

Is it possible to set up a separate setting profile for 3D frame-packed content? My standard 2D "1080p" profile settings make my 1080 Ti video card "exploding" (rendering times ~doubles) when playing 3D due to doubling each frame instead of only 1pc of 2D frame.

Is it the correct behaviour of madVR to upscale BD sources/DVD sources to 4320x2430p? It is a bit far from 3840x2160p. This behaviour also has negative impact on my JRivers UI (stayed "zoomed in" even after finishing play).

Is it the correct behaviour of madVR to output at 8bit
even if chosing 10bit as "the native display bitdepth"?
My source is 8bit (BD mostly), but my TV can handle 10bit surely.

Any help would be appreciated.
mparade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2017, 14:08   #46564  |  Link
mzso

Quote:
Good. Now in order to get to the bottom of this, what we need is at least one freeze report, ideally several, but with the "debug symbols" (*.PDB files) in the right folder for both MPC-BE and LAV. This way the freeze report will not only tell us what madVR is doing at the time of the freeze, but also what MPC-BE and LAV are doing. This *may* (or may not) help figuring out what's going on.

PDB debug symbols for LAV are available in the first post of the LAV thread, IIRC, but the debug symbols MUST match the LAV version installed *exactly* otherwise they're doing more harm than good. PDB debug symbols for MPC should be available somewhere, too, not sure where, though.
I tried... Here they are: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0By...DUySEFpdUQ3aVk
But the symptoms are not quite identical to Potplayer. The madVR OSD doesn't appear. I get a windows alert sound after a few secs, and sometimes MPC gets unhung and the playback starts. Also hanging seems to occur differently, when I clobber one file instead of when I change between files.
mzso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2017, 14:14   #46565  |  Link
famasfilms

Quote:
Originally Posted by j82k View Post
Are you sure it's the Fall Creators Update doing this? Because the latest nvidia driver 387.92 is causing exactly what you just described, even without the Fall Creators Update.
I have the latest Nvidia driver, installed last fortnight or so - installed the Fall update last night and immediately tested HDR.

You could be right
famasfilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2017, 14:27   #46566  |  Link
jkauff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razoola View Post
Its a hard one because I have had situation with 095.6.1 where it would not allow to test when trying to optimise because the display was already at the custom resolution. another time it allows the test but rejected the save. Only when the starting refresh rate was different before the initial testing process did the all seem to complete without error.

Personally from the experiances I have had so far I think you should confirm the resolution and refresh rate is different than the resolution and refresh rate to be tested at the point the 'test mode' is pressesd. This might only apply to nvidia gfx cards. Wether you switch resolutions first silently, give a message and then switch resolutions or full error telling user to change resolution manually is up to you.

I guess what makes the situation worse here is the fact there is a high probability the resolution/refresh rate will be the same already during a user trying to setup a custom resolution or optimise. This is because they are probably going to the madVR custom resolution options right from a paused movie which is playing at the refresh rate they want to play with (because madVR set the closest resolution when playback started).
As I mentioned in my earlier post, my custom resolution success on my GTX 1060 was achieved by avoiding the Nvidia Control Panel altogether. I did all my resolution changes through the Windows 10 Display Adapter Properties dialog, launched from the Display Settings page. I'm running the latest Nvidia drivers.

I can't say this will work for everyone, but it did for me.
jkauff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2017, 14:30   #46567  |  Link
foozoor

Where is the v0.92.7 changelog?

Last edited by foozoor; 15th October 2017 at 14:42.
foozoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2017, 14:39   #46568  |  Link
omw2h

Quote:

Ok, igv updated AdaptiveSharpen again yesterday. His latest version doesn't sharpen grain as much, anymore, but still more than the original AS version. If you don't like the grain, why don't you use "reduce random noise" in madVR? Also, your original image is quite visibly distorted by compression artifacts. Seems not all of them originated from JPEG, but some were already in your original video. The new "reduce compression artifacts" option works pretty well for this kind of problem. Here's how your image looks like with the following settings, using igv's latest AdaptiveSharpen version:

reduce compression artifacts: 5
reduce random noise: 1

http://madVR.com/doom9/stuff/asRnnRca.png

Maybe I've gone a bit overboard with the "reduce compression artifacts" strength, but with Anime content high values often barely harm.
A sample of one distorted image might not be fair, but it shows my point where i find the end result of the new AS
lacking in comparison and i find no shorige of bad content.
I'm using the awesome reducing random noise and compression artefacts when needed, but in this situation i have to
use them, and this solution brings the questions of subtle harm and more GPU freedom being lost (then just having the previus AS checked).
If other options come to light more joy to me, i did caught on that the new AS is stronger,
so if i tone it down a bit and if the grain is not as visible i guess i'll survive the change.
omw2h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2017, 14:49   #46569  |  Link
Siso
Soul Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by foozoor View Post
Where is the v0.92.7 changelog?
Not yet released.
Siso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2017, 14:50   #46570  |  Link
foozoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siso View Post
Not yet released.
So there is something wrong on the official madVR website.
Old 15th October 2017, 14:53   #46571  |  Link
Sebastiii

madshi is surely preparing the upload and website :P
Old 15th October 2017, 14:56   #46572  |  Link
Siso
Soul Seeker

Quote:
So there is something wrong on the official madVR website.
What's wrong?
Old 15th October 2017, 14:57   #46573  |  Link
foozoor

http://madvr.com
latest release v0.92.7
Old 15th October 2017, 14:58   #46574  |  Link
Siso
Soul Seeker

Quote:
latest release v0.92.7
Just be patient, dude
Old 15th October 2017, 15:02   #46575  |  Link
Asmodian

It looks like madshi actually controls that website now?!

I swear that didn't use to be the case.

I am very glad madVR.com is in good hands.

Quote:
latest release v0.92.7
If you install that version its version number is 0.92.6.

Last edited by Asmodian; 15th October 2017 at 15:15.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2017, 15:28   #46576  |  Link
ashlar42

Quote:
Yeah, it's disappointing, but I hope to be able to get them to fix the most obvious bugs at some point in the future.
You know what? I'm gonna say a simple thing.

I hope everybody here realizes how lucky we are to have you.

Last edited by ashlar42; 16th October 2017 at 02:33.
ashlar42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2017, 15:37   #46577  |  Link
austinminton

Quote:
No, I believe he set everything to 8bit everywhere. If you set madVR to 10bit, then madVR will not dither down to 8bit, which is necessary if your TV doesn't handle 10bit well.
I mean what setup is he using to reach the conclusion that 8 bit is better than 10 bit for him. By keeping madvr at 8 bit hes defeating the whole purpose of doing this test? His tv will never get the 10 bit signal?
austinminton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2017, 16:27   #46578  |  Link
thewildsun

I'm encountering a strange problem where video playback is smooth for the first 6-8 minutes or so, and then I start dropping frames like crazy. Pausing and then playing again doesn't help, but restarting the video player (PotPlayer, although I've also tried MPC-HC) fixes the problem immediately... for the next 6-8 minutes. Task manager doesn't show anything that stands out while frames are being dropped -- no spikes in CPU, GPU, or RAM.

It doesn't seem like a hardware issue, as madVR is the only thing that has seems to have any issues. I'm on the latest windows 10 insider build, so this might be the culprit, but it only happens on my NVIDIA GTX 1070 machine. I have another desktop with the AMD RX-480 that's also on the latest insider build, but the problem doesn't happen there. I've tried old NVIDIA drivers and old madVR builds, but had no luck.

Has anyone encountered anything like this before?
thewildsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2017, 16:34   #46579  |  Link
oldpainlesskodi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlar42 View Post
You know what? I'm gonna say a simple thing.

I hope everybody here realizes how lucky we have to have you.
Amen.

K
oldpainlesskodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2017, 16:46   #46580  |  Link
foozoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siso View Post
Just be patient, dude
I suspect madshi wanted to fool websites like majorgeeks or videohelp.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling