Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > IFO/VOB Editors

Old 29th April 2007, 22:09   #1  |  Link
Electrolite

Problems with Pgcedit and Deja Vu DVD

After decrypting Deja Vu to hd with Ripit4me, I found it had two main titles (1 and 2): no.1 being the main movie (2hrs), no.2 being the movie plus behind the scenes (2hrs,30min).

Now, the nasty thing about this DVD is that both the titles are contained in VTS 3, so the same vobs contains movie cells and extra cells. I opened the titles with PgcEdit, which reported there weren't different angles but only ILV. I removed it, double checked everything in Trace Mode, and could finally blank the extras with Vob Blanker (which, as many of you surely know, doesn't fully support ILV) because at that point it was unreferenced and separated from the main movie cells.

Then I compressed the DVD with DVD-Rebuilder and I noticed that, exactly in the points where I removed the extra material, there's a little pixelation (nothing major, matter of an instant, 4-5 times during the whole movie). I checked the full dvd copied by ripit4me and I found nothing, looks like this little disturbance appeared after I cleaned the ILV with PgcEdit, before using DVD-Reb.

Being a bit of a perfectionist, I was wondering if I did something wrong (and how I could remove those pixels, if possible), or if the problem wasn't on my end and that DVD is the Devil.

Thanks in advance for any hint you'll be able to give me.

Regards
Electrolite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2007, 03:57   #2  |  Link
Capsbackup

I ripped the R1 NTSC version with RIPIT4Me and then ran it thru DVD-RB, no preprocessing, and it played back just fine. There may have been 2 or 3 slight glitches, barely noticeable if your not looking for it, at the cells of the ILVU for the special features. But since I knew what time the ILVU would start, I knew where to look. I was quite pleased with the overall quality though.
Capsbackup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2007, 07:56   #3  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Removing the ILV info with PgcEdit should not affect the way the standard main movie is played.

However, if the beginning of the remaining cells are made of open GOPs, and you remove the extra cells with VobBlanker, they are now beginning with broken GOPs, and that can cause the glitches on the first frames. To avoid that, it is necessary to re-encode the first I frame of the cell, to close the GOP properly. Obviously, it's not easy to do for VobBlanker, as it has no encoder, but, according to another thread, I think jsoto is working on that problem.
r0lZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2007, 12:58   #4  |  Link
Electrolite

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0lZ View Post
Removing the ILV info with PgcEdit should not affect the way the standard main movie is played.

However, if the beginning of the remaining cells are made of open GOPs, and you remove the extra cells with VobBlanker, they are now beginning with broken GOPs, and that can cause the glitches on the first frames. To avoid that, it is necessary to re-encode the first I frame of the cell, to close the GOP properly. Obviously, it's not easy to do for VobBlanker, as it has no encoder, but, according to another thread, I think jsoto is working on that problem.
Thanks r0lZ, fast as lightning.

What if I removed the unref. material with Fixvts instead? Would that still produce broken GOPs?

Regards
Old 30th April 2007, 16:10   #5  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Yes. FixVTS has also no encoder.
Old 2nd May 2007, 18:44   #6  |  Link
jsoto
Just a Member

Quote:

However, if the beginning of the remaining cells are made of open GOPs, and you remove the extra cells with VobBlanker, they are now beginning with broken GOPs, and that can cause the glitches on the first frames. To avoid that, it is necessary to re-encode the first I frame of the cell, to close the GOP properly. ..
Not sure... AFAIK ILV material (including angles) is made with diferent Video Objects (VOB ids have to be different).
In example, in the following layout:
1/1 1/2 1/3 2/1 3/1 2/2 3/2 2/3 3/3 4/1 4/2
VOBids 2 and 3 are interleaved.
One GOP belonging to VOBid =2 cannot have references to a different VOBId. That means the first GOP of cell=2/2 has to be closed, self-contained or, if open, the references are related to Cell=2/1

That means, removing all ILV material belonging to VOBid=3 should not produce any kind of artifacts...
I do not own Deja Vu, but I've tested VobBlanker's de-interleaver in Alien-quadrilogy, which is plenty of ILV cells. I did not see any kind of problem...
Anyway, I'll check it again, may be I've broken something in the last releases..
[EDIT]
Done the test with Alien1: pgcEdit8.1+VobBlanker 2.1.3RC2 -> No problem at all (checked in a SW player)
[/EDIT]

jsoto

Last edited by jsoto; 2nd May 2007 at 23:51.
jsoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2007, 19:02   #7  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

You're right. I forgot that VOB ID thing. Thanks for the clarification.
Electrolite, can you confirm that you have deleted whole VOB IDs?
Old 6th May 2007, 13:34   #8  |  Link
Electrolite

Quote:
You're right. I forgot that VOB ID thing. Thanks for the clarification.
Electrolite, can you confirm that you have deleted whole VOB IDs?
Well, when I backed up Deja Vu, what I did was clicking the "del angles" button in PgcEdit (after double clicking the various ILV titles). Pgcedit noticed there were no angles, but the dvd was ILV, and then asked me if I wanted to remove that feature. I clicked yes. Then, I could finally "work" on the DVD with Vob-Blanker, as the cells I wanted to remove were now unreferenced and separated from the movie cells. They were treated like extras and amounted to approximately 1800 MB. I thought it was safe to blank them at that point.

I hope that answers your question, because I'm not sure how to check whether I have deleted whole VOB IDs or not.

Last edited by Electrolite; 6th May 2007 at 13:46.
Old 6th May 2007, 17:36   #9  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Well, if you did no cuts or other edits, that should be the case.
Thanks anyway.
Old 3rd August 2007, 19:05   #10  |  Link
SYL

Hello everybody,

I ripped Shrek 1 with Ripit4me, edited using Vobblanker to blank some extras, PgcEdit to hide some buttons and start at the root menu and finally shrinked with DvdShrink. All things was normal as usual.
When I tested the DVD I noticed something funny, at the beginning each name of the directors and producers was showed in english, spanish and portuguese with bit noises, than the movie ran normally, but the film and the rest of the DVD is perfect.

After that I noticed at Vobblanker that cells 2,3 and 4 of the first chapter are interleaved, each one has the initial credits in one language.So what I shoul have done was removed the interleaved ifos in PgcEdit and then processed with VobBlanker blanking the ones which languages I wouldn´t want as discussed in this thread? Woul you teach me the the better way?

Thanks.
SYL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2007, 19:23   #11  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

When you have used VobBlanker, it should have displayed a warning about interleaved/multi-angle cells. When you see that warning, do not process the DVD directly. Remove the interleaved cells with PgcEdit's Del Angles function or Jsoto's DelAngle.exe first.

In case of multi-story PGCs (when the interleaved cells are distributed on several titles with only one angle per title), you must also blank all titles that contain the interleaved cells but one. You can do that with PgcEdit's Kill PGC Playback, or with VobBlanker.

(A cell is interleaved or multi-angle when its "First ILVU End" value is non-zero in its cell table. In Shrek, they are standard multi-angle cells.)

You can also keep the interleaved cells if you skip the titlesets containing them when using VobBlanker.
Old 3rd August 2007, 20:06   #12  |  Link
SYL

Thanks R0lZ,

What happens if I blank these cells without using del angles keeping just the one which language I want, by the way, del angles is located in "PgcEditor" when we double click at the title in PgcEdit, right?
So I have to keep just the cell or the title I want and blank the others after remove the interleaved cells?

Thanks!
SYL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2007, 21:17   #13  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Yes to the two questions.

BTW, you can also use PgcEdit's Remove Cells to remove the cells pertaining to the angles you don't want to keep, and then process the titleset with VobBlanker. It will delete them from the VOB files automatically, and therefore you don't need to blank them.

Take care. Use a software player to identify the angle to keep, as the preview of PgcEdit and VobBlanker shows all interleaved cells at the same time.