Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > (Auto) Gordian Knot

Old 18th December 2001, 14:58   #1  |  Link
anr

best way to encode a double sided dvd

hi,

i am now trying to encode "Goodfellas", and also "Face to Face", both are PAL and double sided discs,

that is, in the one side the first part of the movie, and in the other side the second part ... you know what i mean

well, i've ripped both sides to different directories with smartripper, now it's time to encode

i was thinking if the best way is to encode both separately, trying to get 350MB for every part, and the after muxing audio and all, just joining the two final avis

or is it possible to join all the vobs, and also join the .D2V files so i can process the entire movie at once?

thanks!
regards,
anr
anr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2001, 15:02   #2  |  Link
cofferscuffs
uber-toddler!

Rip the first side into a directory called side1, then do the second into a dir called side2. Load up DVD2AVI open up side1 vobs, but don't press ok, press add then loadup side2. Then make a d2v project and continue as normal. Easy peasy.
Old 18th December 2001, 16:13   #3  |  Link
seoulsteve

Godfather II is also a two-discer. cofferscufs, when you say put side1 in one directory and side2 in another directory, are you then putting all the vob's in the same directory before you make the d2v? and by directory do you mean folder?
seoulsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2001, 16:43   #4  |  Link
ohliuv

Quote:
when you say put side1 in one directory and side2 in another directory, are you then putting all the vob's in the same directory before you make the d2v?
no, they can be in different folders, even on different drives.
ohliuv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2001, 16:44   #5  |  Link
cofferscuffs
uber-toddler!

Yep, when I say directory I mean folder as my double sided The Rock, has the same vob names on each side. And yes before making the project file. I can draw you a picture....

If you don't rip both sides beforehand, how can you add them to DVD2AVI? It doesn't care about the vob names, just where they're located and the order they're put in on the list before you press ok to open them.
Old 18th December 2001, 17:01   #6  |  Link
ohliuv

FYI:
There is an issue related to the 2-sides. Subtitling seem to be a bit problematic if you use VobSub:
Merge of VobSubs
ohliuv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2001, 20:31   #7  |  Link
Ben

When I did GoodFellas, I ripped both sides into the same directory. Then just made sure the VOBs were named vts_01_1.vob to vts_01_5.vob or however many you got from both sides. Then when you open the first VOB in DVD2AVI it will automatically add the VOBs from the second side.

So rip the first side to firstside_1.vob and so on, rip the second side to secondside_1.vob etc. Then rename the secondside_n.vobs to pick up from where the firstside_n.vobs left off.

Hope that makes sense
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2001, 02:23   #8  |  Link
seoulsteve

Re:

Quote:
Hope that makes sense
crystal. this renaming thing is not new to me. i've had to use vStrip on two tricky DVD's (Disney and Snatch) and have renamed vob's without problem in the past. but they've always been in the same folder. i guess as long as DVD2AVI knows what it's doing...
seoulsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2001, 12:44   #9  |  Link
anr

thanks

thanks for all your responses,

i just was thinking that it really was not simple to add vobs one next to the other...

just for being complete, maybe Doom9 could add this to the guides? is not even mentioned...

regards,
anr
anr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2001, 13:43   #10  |  Link
TheWEF
Gordian Mod.

Quote:
Originally posted by cofferscuffs
Rip the first side into a directory called side1, then do the second into a dir called side2. Load up DVD2AVI open up side1 vobs, but don't press ok, press add then loadup side2. Then make a d2v project and continue as normal. Easy peasy.
just trust him.

wef.
TheWEF is offline   Reply With Quote