Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Announcements and Chat > General Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 4th August 2018, 19:19   #1  |  Link
bradwiggo

Are there any decent DVD slideshow makers that are actually free

I need to make a slideshow on a DVD using some images for a friend, and I was wondering if anybody could recommend a program that can do this (as well as enable me to add audio and do slight editing) that is free.

As all I have been able to find is ones that are free but add a watermark, which isn't really good enough.

Bonus question (warning: probably a stupid question):

I have some CD-R disks lying around, can I use these to make a slideshow and play in a DVD player, or are they strictly for audio?
bradwiggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2018, 19:45   #2  |  Link
johnmeyer

You can make a VCD, SVCD, or XVCD using a CD. Many (not all) DVD players will play it.

I don't have a suggestion for a free slide show maker. There are lots of options if you are willing to pay a few dollars. I don't know why everyone expects to get software for free. Some people make their living writing good software. It is sometimes true that some of the free stuff is really good, but the stuff that costs a few dollars usually has a decent user interface on it, and can do a lot more.

If you were willing to spend some money, I use Vegas, which is expensive, but they (Magix) sell an entry-level version that only costs $39 euros (about $45). If that is too much, you can pick up earlier versions on eBay, something I do all the time when I want to get a decent program, but don't want to pay full price for the latest version. I just looked and you can get version 13 or 14 (it is now at version 15) for close to $10. That, as they say, is no more than the price of a couple of double lattes.

I have created hundreds of slideshows & music videos using this software. Here is one of over a dozen videos I put on a DVD ten years ago for a high school graduating class. Each student gave me 20-50 photos and videos, and I then created theme-based videos from these thousands of photos. I gave a DVD to each graduate, and the disc was shown in the middle of the night during their graduation party at the school, where they get locked down to keep them out of trouble.

2009 Carmel High School

I can't stand the music, but that's what they wanted. Had to spend a lot of time modifying the music to get the lyrics past the censors. Normally I don't use so many cheesy transitions, but given the audience, I thought it was appropriate. I've done quite a few slideshows for funerals, and for those, I use no transitions other than crossfades, and the pace is way less hectic.

Last edited by johnmeyer; 4th August 2018 at 19:49.
johnmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2018, 19:48   #3  |  Link
bradwiggo

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmeyer View Post
You can make a VCD, SVCD, or XVCD using a CD. Many (not all) DVD players will play it.

I don't have a suggestion for a free slide show maker. There are lots of options if you are willing to pay a few dollars. I don't know why everyone expects to get software for free. Some people make their living writing good software. It is sometimes true that some of the free stuff is really good, but the stuff that costs a few dollars usually has a decent user interface on it, and can do a lot more.

If you were willing to spend some money, I use Vegas, which is expensive, but they (Magix) sell an entry-level version that only costs $39 euros (about $45). If that is too much, you can pick up earlier versions on eBay, something I do all the time when I want to get a decent program, but don't want to pay full price for the latest version. I just looked and you can get version 13 or 14 (it is now at version 15) for close to $10. That, as they say, is no more than the price of a couple of double lattes.

I have created hundreds of slideshows & music videos using this software. Here is one of over a dozen videos I put on a DVD ten years ago for a high school graduating class. Each student gave me 20-50 photos and videos, and I then created theme-based videos from these thousands of photos. I gave a DVD to each graduate, and the disc was shown in the middle of the night during their graduation party at the school, where they get locked down to keep them out of trouble.

2009 Carmel High School

I can't stand the music, but that's what they wanted. Had to spend a lot of time modifying the music to get the lyrics past the censors.
It's not that I don't like paying for software, but most of the software I have seen for sale is about $40, which is ridiculous in my opinion. Especially as seen as I only need to do a few sideshows with it and then will probably never use it again.
Old 4th August 2018, 20:39   #4  |  Link
bradwiggo

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmeyer View Post

2009 Carmel High School

I can't stand the music, but that's what they wanted. Had to spend a lot of time modifying the music to get the lyrics past the censors. Normally I don't use so many cheesy transitions, but given the audience, I thought it was appropriate. I've done quite a few slideshows for funerals, and for those, I use no transitions other than crossfades, and the pace is way less hectic.
How would I make a VCD, can I just tell my burning program to burn to it as if it was a DVD?

Also, what is the max resolution I could get with VCD, SVCD or XVCD?
Old 5th August 2018, 02:07   #5  |  Link
johnmeyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradwiggo View Post
How would I make a VCD, can I just tell my burning program to burn to it as if it was a DVD?

Also, what is the max resolution I could get with VCD, SVCD or XVCD?
Most burning programs (Imgburn, Nero) have options for VCD. SVCD and XVCD are more of a specialty and are not as widely supported, either by the burning program or by the DVD players. You need to look at the user manual for your DVD player before you spend any time on this. I made a lot of these back in the late 1990s, before DVD players and burners were common. They work well and the video looks pretty decent.

You can get complete specs simply by Googling or entering "VCD" in Wikipedia, so I'm not going to waste any time answer that one.
johnmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2018, 02:46   #6  |  Link
manolito

There is a plethora of free slideshow software out there, you just need some time to test it all...

No need to buy a full video suite like Vegas. Magix itself offers a free slideshow maker called Magix Slideshow Maker (I believe it is only available in German).

From Ashampoo there is AshampooŽ Slideshow Studio 2017
https://www.ashampoo.com/uk/eur/pin/...ow-Studio-2017

Much more powerful, but with a higher learning curve is DVD slideshow GUI
http://download.videohelp.com/tin2tin/index.html

I am sure you will be able to find something which suits your needs while being completely free.

Good luck
manolito
manolito is offline   Reply With Quote