Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 23rd September 2011, 22:42   #9841  |  Link
CruNcher

Vsync only get applied to non Fullscreen with Aero enabled, and you should be really carefull with any internal vsync stuff then

It is about Time

Join the Revolution NOW before it is to Late !

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=168004

Last edited by CruNcher; 23rd September 2011 at 22:49.
CruNcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2011, 02:49   #9842  |  Link
Portioli
Continuous Beta Tester

can anybody tell me which are MAdVR`s input luminance levels?

if i send yuv12 using ffdshow which are the luminance levels that i send to madVR?
does ffdshow leave the yuv12 luminance levels untouched?

p.s. i watch 99% (16-235) bluray movies
Portioli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2011, 04:03   #9843  |  Link
markanini

Question regarding the 'color & gamma' tab. Assuming my monitor more or less corresponds to sRGB, does 'changing pure power curve' to 'BT.709/601' make output more accurate/like intended?
markanini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2011, 06:16   #9844  |  Link
mindbomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmone View Post
I have two PC's with nvidia GPU but I'm seeing radically diffrent Present Times:

- GTS450 (ddr5): Present time is usually between 0.1 to 0.2ms in both Exclusive and Windowed Mode
- GTX550Ti (ddr5): Present time is usually between 0.1 to 0.2ms in Exclusive Mode but blows out to 10 - 30ms (eg 100 times slower) in Windowed Mode so it drops frames.

I've tried updating Drivers, Bios etc on the GTX550Ti but I have No Idea why the very high Present Times in Windowed Mode on this unit - any hints?

Thanks
Nathan

Edit: Even my Laptop with a 320M has OK present times.....
i have a guess.

When you are using 2 display devices with 2 different refresh rates, things get messy without exclusive mode
mindbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2011, 13:58   #9845  |  Link
jmonier

On one of my machines, madVR will not go into exclusive mode. This particular machine has 4 monitors on two different video adapters and I suspect that may be the reason. If so, it's no big deal, but I'm interested in any comments.
jmonier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2011, 16:46   #9846  |  Link
Andy2222

Hi Madshi,

i noticed a "strange" problem on my new media box, during playback in windowed/fullscreen windowed mode and even during pausing a file the CPU/GPU is still active at around 35%/20%?
I did some tests and even reinstalled windows and found one combination of setting that "fixes" this behavior, resulting in 0% CPU/GPU usage. Also the CPU usage in general is higher in all the "problematic" cases.

Here are my setting on Win7, madVR 0.74, MPC-HC (1.5.3.3734). I also tested other players, with the same result. Also process explorer shows the CPU usage in the "madvr.ax" process.

The first case is the "fixed" version which solves this problem only in this particular setting combination. Note how the "exclusive" mode changes directly also influences the windowed mode playback.

FIXED 1:
general: "enable automatic exclusive fullscreen mode" = ON
exclusive: "present several frames in advance" = OFF

FAIL 1:
exclusive: "present several frames in advance" = ON

FAIL 2:
general: "enable automatic exclusive fullscreen mode" = OFF
exclusive: "present several frames in advance" = ON/OFF

NOTE: All other settings scaling, presentation, thread, number backbuffers ... don't influence the outcome. I did not test all the sync options (flush, wait) and did leave those at default values.

Test-System Spec:
Win7 32bit (all updates + SP1)
Pentium T630 CPU + H67 chipset (Intel HD GPU not used, no driver installed)
nVidia GT 520 GPU (280.26 drivers)

I also tried to duplicate this problem on my main Core2Duo 775 system under WinXP and Win7, but could not do so.

In general all the "fail" settings also result in 30% higher additional cpu usage during playback, compared to the "fixed" case. As a side-note the playback is "smooth" in all tested cases, without any dropped frames. CPU and GPU usage is never above 70% in total.

bye Andy

Last edited by Andy2222; 24th September 2011 at 17:02.
Andy2222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2011, 17:54   #9847  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

madshi, do you have any plans to add DXVA-HD support in the future?
Old 24th September 2011, 18:19   #9848  |  Link
Defiler
Asker of Questions

This is simply the finest thing ever.
Now that Zoom Player has followed suit and started using MadVR's OSD API to display its own menus, a feature I have been wanting since 2002 has finally come into being.
How can I send you money?
Old 24th September 2011, 18:20   #9849  |  Link
Defiler
Asker of Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by nand chan View Post
In a related note, how about an emulation mode for the old XP option for a “single display mode” which would treat a multi-monitor setup as one large display?
That would be extremely handy for the kind of setup that is most prone to tearing in the first place. Good idea.
Old 24th September 2011, 20:03   #9850  |  Link
pirlouy
_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy2222 View Post
FIXED 1:
exclusive: "present several frames in advance" = OFF
I confirm what Andy2222 said.
If I use "old" path, the processor is less used. I don't remember if this option is important for better quality. :/

So many options. I still hope someone will want to create a guide for madVR options.
pirlouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2011, 20:50   #9851  |  Link
mzso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy2222 View Post
Hi Madshi,

i noticed a "strange" problem on my new media box, during playback in windowed/fullscreen windowed mode and even during pausing a file the CPU/GPU is still active at around 35%/20%?
I did some tests and even reinstalled windows and found one combination of setting that "fixes" this behavior, resulting in 0% CPU/GPU usage. Also the CPU usage in general is higher in all the "problematic" cases.
I too noticed high cpu/gpu usage when I paused and minimized the player and left it for a while.
mzso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2011, 22:49   #9852  |  Link
n3w813

Got a question regarding the levels setting....

I have a HTPC running a Nvidia video card connected to a Sony LCD via HDMI. My media are mostly blu-ray rips. Right now these are my settings on the vid card, madvr, and Sony TV.....

Nvidia - 0-255 desktop output with custom resolution hack
MadVR - levels set to '16-235'
Sony TV - HDMI setting set to 'Limited'

My question is, should I set my TV to 'Full Range' and MadVR to '0-255' instead? What settings do I need to set to avoid any kind of levels compression or expansion in the whole video chain?

Thanks!
n3w813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2011, 23:04   #9853  |  Link
markanini

Quote:
Originally Posted by markanini View Post
Question regarding the 'color & gamma' tab. Assuming my monitor more or less corresponds to sRGB, does 'changing pure power curve' to 'BT.709/601' make output more accurate/like intended?
Trying to answer my own question:
After reading the .ti3-Parser thread it appears my display is likely 'pure power curve' to start with so I'll keep the default setting only changing the 2.2 value to 2.35 or so when lights are dimmed.

Still makes me wonder what kind of displays are 'BT.709/601' or who would calibrate their display to that standard to warrant such a setting in MadVR. A forum search provided no answers on this one :/
markanini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2011, 23:15   #9854  |  Link
Xaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by n3w813 View Post
Got a question regarding the levels setting....

I have a HTPC running a Nvidia video card connected to a Sony LCD via HDMI. My media are mostly blu-ray rips. Right now these are my settings on the vid card, madvr, and Sony TV.....

Nvidia - 0-255 desktop output with custom resolution hack
MadVR - levels set to '16-235'
Sony TV - HDMI setting set to 'Limited'

My question is, should I set my TV to 'Full Range' and MadVR to '0-255' instead? What settings do I need to set to avoid any kind of levels compression or expansion in the whole video chain?

Thanks!
I was in your exact shoes not long ago. I did some research and this is what I found:

With HDMI from the Nvidia card it's sending out 16-235 even if you set it to 0-255 in the desktop. Do this:

Code:
For those of you that didn't know, for whoever has a HDTV connected with nvidia drivers,
and the entire desktop is being output in 16-235 instead of full range, the best workaround is to
add this to the nv_disp.inf before installing the drivers. Makes the drivers assume your using a fullrange TV
instead of limited range. I need to use this each time I do a clean install of nvidias drivers.

Add

HKR,,SetDefaultFullRGBRangeOnHDMI,%REG_DWORD%,1

to each section of your inf that begins with

[nv_miscBase_addreg_

eg

[nv_miscBase_addreg__01]
 HKR,,SetDefaultFullRGBRangeOnHDMI,%REG_DWORD%,1
Then you can set your TV to full range, as well as madvr.
Old 24th September 2011, 23:25   #9855  |  Link
nand chan
( ≖‿≖)

Quote:
Pure power curve should be much better for sRGB displays than a BT.709 curve. I don't really recommend using the BT.709 curve for display purposes at all - it's a virtual, encoding curve - no monitors actually use this, all of them are either something like CRT (~2.35-2.55 PPC-ish) or sRGB, which is close to 2.2 PPC.

I recommend using a PPC. If you're in a dark viewing environment, I'd actually recommend a PPC of about 2.5 - this corresponds to what the average CRT has.

In effect, you simulate the appearance of a CRT display (~2.5) on your sRGB display (~2.2) - images are “under-encoded” using (1/2.2) instead of (1/2.5) on purpose, because the specifications themselves assume a dark viewing environment - by using an encoding coefficient /below/ the viewing coefficient, the brightness is reduced, which compensates for the lack of contrast in low-light environments.

Quote:
Trying to answer my own question:
After reading the .ti3-Parser thread it appears my display is likely 'pure power curve' to start with so I'll keep the default setting only changing the 2.2 value to 2.35 or so when lights are dimmed.

Still makes me wonder what kind of displays are 'BT.709/601' or who would calibrate their display to that standard to warrant such a setting in MadVR. A forum search provided no answers on this one :/
Yes, it'll be PPC or similar. I'd personally recommend generally “darker” values, something like 2.3 for bright rooms and 2.5 for dark rooms.

Like mentioned, the BT.709 curve is only used to *encode* video - the point of them is to give you the maximum amount of information per bit - the same reason why sRGB turns into a flat correlation near the black level. It's used for HDTV broadcasting.

The actual EBU Recommendations 709 document hints that displays have a convention of about 2.35 PPC or 2.2 sRGB.

I don't know if *any* displays do actually use this BT.709 curve directly. Usually you decode the source Y'CbCr to rgb', decode that to RGB using the BT.709 curve or whatever, then encode that RGB to rgb' using the sRGB curve (or PPC 2.2).

madVR doesn't differentiate between PPC 2.2 and sRGB - if you enable PPC 2.2 in gamma correction, the image doesn't change at all.

Last edited by nand chan; 24th September 2011 at 23:35.
nand chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2011, 02:42   #9856  |  Link
Andy o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaurus View Post
With HDMI from the Nvidia card it's sending out 16-235 even if you set it to 0-255 in the desktop.
Hmm, I've read this before. It's not happening with my Pioneer display though, and GTX460 and 285 drivers. I get Full RGB out of the box. AMD owners also had problems like this, and us Pioneer users (probably other displays too, but I only remember a couple other persons for sure and they also had a Pio) also were in what I think is a minority that didn't have the problem. Are most people having this problem here with NV?
Andy o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2011, 08:42   #9857  |  Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by nand chan View Post
I recommend using a PPC. If you're in a dark viewing environment, I'd actually recommend a PPC of about 2.5 - this corresponds to what the average CRT has.
Reference monitors that content is created on, are 2.40 gamma.

Everything else you say is more-or-less correct. No display should be running the 709 curve, it is for camera encoding, not playback.
6233638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2011, 09:42   #9858  |  Link
kirakami

will madvr work on my old graphic card
Nvidia Ge-Force 4 MX440 64MB AGP 8x with MPC-HC?
kirakami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2011, 09:49   #9859  |  Link
fastplayer

No, it won't.
fastplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2011, 11:36   #9860  |  Link
deado

Hi guys - I need some help here, I have been desperately trying to get smooth playback of 23.976/24fps content on my PC (output to 24hz HDTV) - typically 1080p MKVs. Specs are Windows 7, Nvidia GTX 480, i5 2500k overclocked, so PC is more than capable. Using ffdshow software video decoding, madvr, mpc-hc etc so PC hardly breaks a sweat.

I have found that madVR in MPC-HC using exclusive fullscreen mode gives overall the smoothest playback (and trust me, I've tried everything - all combinations of players and renderers). But it still is not perfect. It still visually skips every 20-30 seconds or so - even though madVR with Ctrl + J info shows NO dropped frames! Sometimes it takes longer to happen though - maybe 1-2 minutes... but it's visibly there for sure - watching credits is a good test. Reclock enabled or disabled seems to make little difference. My graphics card has two options for output - 23hz (which madVR reports as ~23.974hz, and 24hz, which madVR reports as 23.999998hz. Which I choose also makes little difference - both have the similar stutter. Best way to describe it is it 'jumps' for a split second.

I seem to be at a dead end as to what is causing it. Any suggestions?

Last edited by deado; 25th September 2011 at 11:41.
deado is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling