Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 24th January 2020, 15:06   #601  |  Link
Asmodian

What label do you have set for the HDMI port on your C9?
Old 24th January 2020, 18:48   #602  |  Link
VBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magik Mark View Post
I'm using my PC to play Pot Player and Kodi with DSplayer and MAdvr, is that PC Mode?

What is Normal Mode?
PC mode is when you set the label for the HDMI port on the LG TV to "PC". It puts the display into 4:4:4 (no chroma subsampling) mode. Among other things, this makes small text more legible. Unfortunately, this causes a lot of banding, especially in HDR mode. When using PC mode, the consensus is to use YCbCr 4:4:4 for SDR (rather than RGB), due to reduced banding. For HDR, PC mode is not really viable, although some here still use it (looking at you, chros ).

Normal mode is leaving the HDMI port label either at default or changing it to anything other than PC (correct me, if there is another label that triggers 4:4:4).

In my opinion, if you don't use your PC for anything other than watching media, there is no real reason to use PC mode. In an ideal world, we'd all be using full chroma, but for now the cons outweigh the pros. That is until LG get their act together. There is no reason they can't make this work properly, especially now that HDMI 2.1 is here. Bandwidth and/or processing power should not be used as an excuse any longer.
Old 24th January 2020, 19:56   #603  |  Link
Magik Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBB View Post
PC mode is when you set the label for the HDMI port on the LG TV to "PC". It puts the display into 4:4:4 (no chroma subsampling) mode. Among other things, this makes small text more legible. Unfortunately, this causes a lot of banding, especially in HDR mode. When using PC mode, the consensus is to use YCbCr 4:4:4 for SDR (rather than RGB), due to reduced banding. For HDR, PC mode is not really viable, although some here still use it (looking at you, chros ).

Normal mode is leaving the HDMI port label either at default or changing it to anything other than PC (correct me, if there is another label that triggers 4:4:4).

In my opinion, if you don't use your PC for anything other than watching media, there is no real reason to use PC mode. In an ideal world, we'd all be using full chroma, but for now the cons outweigh the pros. That is until LG get their act together. There is no reason they can't make this work properly, especially now that HDMI 2.1 is here. Bandwidth and/or processing power should not be used as an excuse any longer.
Oh I see. This is new for me. Thanks alot

I have noticed as well nobody is setting their GPU to 12bit. Any particular reason?

Last edited by Magik Mark; 24th January 2020 at 20:03.
Magik Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2020, 20:52   #604  |  Link
VBB

With anything other than 4:2:2, you don't get to pick 10-bit anyway. It's always either 8-bit or 12-bit (with Nvidia). For 4:2:2 and our OLEDs, I found that there is no real difference visually between 10-bit and 12-bit. This probably has something to do with the fact that in this case the signal is always sent as 12-bit anyway. Not sure if that's an Nvidia bug or something else. I believe SamuriHL pointed this out first, and I confirmed it via my Denon. Nothing's perfect, I guess
Old 24th January 2020, 21:16   #605  |  Link
Magik Mark

Thanks a lot for the input. Really appreciated it
Old 24th January 2020, 22:47   #606  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
In my opinion, if you don't use your PC for anything other than watching media, there is no real reason to use PC mode.
This is not true! A major benefit of madVR is high quality chroma upscaling. While LG is not good at handling PC mode with RGB input, or HDR in PC mode at all, don't dismiss 4:4:4 chroma completely!

If you can get banding free gradients in PC mode it is better quality than any of the non-PC modes, with madVR. My C9 is great with 8 bit YCbCr 444 in PC mode, and I get better quality with blurays played through madVR in PC mode with that than I do in HDMI mode with 10 bit YCbCr 422. This is only with SDR, my C9 is still very bad at HDR in PC mode.

The C9, mine at least, has improved PC mode, albeit only with SDR 8 bit YCbCr input.

But, yeah, LG OLEDs require balancing tradeoffs and HDMI mode is a lot more forgiving. PC mode with any other input format is worse than HDMI mode with any input format on my C9 but it is also a different issue, banding in some gradients v.s. every single frame slightly blurred in that subsampled chroma way. I really wish I could keep madVR's 8 bit RGB output untouched.
Old 24th January 2020, 22:58   #607  |  Link
VBB

That's why I said "in my opinion". I would never argue the benefit of full chroma. It's just too much of a hassle with the OLEDs. So, yeah, trade-offs on both sides. I prefer not to switch to a different mode when I watch HDR, which is quite often. And speaking of blurring - we already do that anyway by using smooth motion. There is no win-win.
Old 24th January 2020, 23:07   #608  |  Link
Asmodian

Good point. I cannot say "not true" to your opinion.
I totally understand not wanting to change HDMI labels all the time, but that is different from saying there is no point to full resolution chroma.

Smooth motion blurring is very different from chroma subsampling bluring, but I agree, there is no win-win.
Old 25th January 2020, 17:56   #609  |  Link
SamuriHL

We suffer the limitations of current display tech and hope that these issues get resolved before we upgrade. Well, not you, Asmodian as you seem to have an incurable upgrade disease. I've also settled on YCbCr 422 10 bit on the PC and it looks very good. And yes, to the comment above, nVidia wraps 10 bit in a 12 bit signal on the PC.
Old 25th January 2020, 23:07   #610  |  Link
oddball

Has anyone got a guide for setting up DisplayCal with MadVR 3DLut for SDR and HDR calibration outputting from Win10 PC 12bit 4:4:4 RGB? LG OLED55B6V BTW. When setting the B6 to PC input on HDMI2 (set to accept BT2020 input) the TV auto sets itself to wide gamut. Not sure if it should be on normal or not. Also when doing HDR calibration should Win10 be set to HDR mode on the display and/or HDR Output set in DisplayCal instead of tone mapped?

Damned confusing this.
oddball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2020, 17:56   #611  |  Link
senzaparole

Hello guys.

I have a TV LG B9 65", a PC with RX 5700 XT and a Denon X3500H.
The PC is connected to the DENON and the DENON is connected to the TV.

I have some doubts about the settings:

1. on the LG B9 TV set:
- black level on HIGH.
- Does dynamic tone mapping turn on or off?
- do I have to set the HDMI port to which the PC is connected and the bluray player via the AVR Denon X3500H in PC Mode or in (for example) Home Theater Mode?

2. Imposed the video card: 10-bit color depth and RGB 4: 4: 4: PC standard pixel format (full RGB).
senzaparole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2020, 13:13   #612  |  Link
chros

Quote:
For HDR, PC mode is not really viable, although some here still use it (looking at you, chros ).
I read you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magik Mark View Post
I have noticed as well nobody is setting their GPU to 12bit.
I do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
Smooth motion blurring is very different from chroma subsampling bluring, but I agree, there is no win-win.
I don't like SM either, I match refresh rates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddball View Post
Has anyone got a guide for setting up DisplayCal with MadVR 3DLut for SDR and HDR calibration outputting from Win10 PC 12bit 4:4:4 RGB?
Take a look at section IV of this post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by senzaparole View Post
I have some doubts about the settings:

1. on the LG B9 TV set:
- black level on HIGH.
- Does dynamic tone mapping turn on or off?
- do I have to set the HDMI port to which the PC is connected and the bluray player via the AVR Denon X3500H in PC Mode or in (for example) Home Theater Mode?

2. Imposed the video card: 10-bit color depth and RGB 4: 4: 4: PC standard pixel format (full RGB).
- dynamic tone mapping: it's up to you whether enable or disable it
- PC Mode or in Home Theater Mode: if you can't live without chroma 4:4:4 (like me ) then go for PC mode, if you can then the other

2. read back the whole thread from the above link and you will see that no win-win situation, you have to decide what you can live with
Old 27th January 2020, 17:08   #613  |  Link
senzaparole

thanks for the replies.

If I enable PC mode in the HDMI 2 port of the TV, the external bluray player will also be connected to this port via the Denon X3500H.

Can the PC mode of the TV negatively affect the connection with the external bluray player?
Old 27th January 2020, 17:44   #614  |  Link
chros

Quote:
Can the PC mode of the TV negatively affect the connection with the external bluray player?
Yes. But you can manually switch it back of you need to.
Old 27th January 2020, 19:48   #615  |  Link
Yviena

In my case with my LG C9 with input set to HDMI mode, RGB FULL/ TV set to black level high has more banding than RGB limited/ TV set to low, and i believe ycbcr 4:4:4 limited with TV set to black level low also has a little less banding than RGB limited/low.

Also Game mode has somewhat worse banding in the near blacks, when looking at a gradient test the black in the gradient test looks different than in ISF dark/bright mode so i believe the gamma is different even if both are set to BT1886.
Yviena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2020, 15:04   #616  |  Link
senzaparole

Quote:
Originally Posted by chros View Post
Yes. But you can manually switch it back of you need to.
I contacted LG about the PC mode or other modes selectable in the Dashboard by changing the HDMI port icon.
LG wrote to me that changing the icon does not change the characteristics of the selected input and therefore does not change the color space either.
The icon you choose doesn't matter.
I own an LG B9, could it be that for this model the icon has no meaning?
Old 28th January 2020, 18:17   #617  |  Link
chros

Quote:
LG wrote to me that changing the icon does not change the characteristics of the selected input
Just read back or search on the web for it.
Old 28th January 2020, 18:42   #618  |  Link
senzaparole

I'm confused. LG officially denies what can be found on the web.
Old 28th January 2020, 19:05   #619  |  Link
Asmodian

Whoever talked to you at LG knows less about the product than their users. Not surprising really, tier one support can be pretty inexperienced.

It is also largely true, only PC mode differs as far as I know.
Old 28th January 2020, 20:09   #620  |  Link
senzaparole

thanks for the clarification. I apologize if I doubted