Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 25th October 2016, 18:44   #39841  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70MM View Post
But do I set the Lumagen to 3840 x 2160 also?
Yes, I think so. But you want madVR to do the image scaling.

Maybe you need to disable the Lumagen if it is doing any type of image scaling. That is what madVR is for.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2016, 10:09   #39842  |  Link
Georgel
Visual Novel Dev.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
I probably wouldn't use the very latest nvidia drivers. Try one or two versions back using a clean install. Reset madVR to defaults if you must.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betroz View Post
The 368.81 drivers from nVidia are good.

Thank you both!

I've been playing with different drivers and I gotta say, some things are not working okay in windows after the latest updates.

I can't use copy-back module, need to use native, otherwise there is a huge spike in render time (not processing time, but render, jumps at 8ms, haven't noticed this before)

I guess that I'll do as I always did with nvidia and windows, use it like this and wait for things to get better.
Georgel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2016, 11:04   #39843  |  Link
Ver Greeneyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgel View Post
I can't use copy-back module, need to use native, otherwise there is a huge spike in render time (not processing time, but render, jumps at 8ms, haven't noticed this before)
Do you have Power Management set to Adaptive or Prefer Maximum Performance? See the previous page.
Ver Greeneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2016, 11:23   #39844  |  Link
Mistery 73

setting madvr

hello everyone I am a new member of the forum,
excuse my English.
I'm using madVR and seguento many guides my settings are useless, so I ask you experts to help me on how to set madVR in the best way,
my HTPC consists i5 6600k, 16 gb ram and 1070 GTX.
Use watching bluray 1: 1 then 1080p24> 1080p24.
last advice is better to eliminate the RADIANCE between HTPC and projector?
Thank you
Mistery 73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2016, 12:07   #39845  |  Link
ashlar42

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
No, just super-xbr AR for chroma. Bang for buck it can't be beat. Bicubic, Jinc and NNEDI3 are good alternatives though depending on your preferences.
Sorry, missed you were talking about chroma upscaling. My bad.
ashlar42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2016, 18:30   #39846  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistery 73 View Post
hello everyone I am a new member of the forum,
excuse my English.
I'm using madVR and seguento many guides my settings are useless, so I ask you experts to help me on how to set madVR in the best way,
my HTPC consists i5 6600k, 16 gb ram and 1070 GTX.
Use watching bluray 1: 1 then 1080p24> 1080p24.
last advice is better to eliminate the RADIANCE between HTPC and projector?
Thank you
If the RADIANCE is an image scaler, it shouldn't be needed. madVR is also an image upscaler.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2016, 20:49   #39847  |  Link
Asmodian

I am not sure what there is for a Lumagen Radiance to do when your source is an HTPC running madVR, unless you are using it as source selector switch. madVR should be sending the correct resolution and handling any calibrations (madVR uses a 256x256x256 LUT). I suppose it may offer better deinterlacing than current video cards do.
Old 26th October 2016, 20:55   #39848  |  Link
Georgel
Visual Novel Dev.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ver Greeneyes View Post
Do you have Power Management set to Adaptive or Prefer Maximum Performance? See the previous page.
Performance all the time ^_^

I got angry and reinstalled windows, and did discover a broken thing ;_;

I get a few frame drops every time I change seek position or when I go from windowed to full screen and vice versa. Is this normal?
Georgel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2016, 21:16   #39849  |  Link
aufkrawall

Yes, it is.
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2016, 21:17   #39850  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgel View Post
I get a few frame drops every time I change seek position or when I go from windowed to full screen and vice versa. Is this normal?
Perfectly normal.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2016, 22:20   #39851  |  Link

Is it possible to use bicubic chroma upscaling with custom parameters?I have not a high end hardware and I would set b=0.31,c=0.69 that makes a good job in my opinion and it's fast.
age is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2016, 22:52   #39852  |  Link
ryrynz

Not with madVR.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2016, 00:17   #39853  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
I am not sure what there is for a Lumagen Radiance to do when your source is an HTPC running madVR, unless you are using it as source selector switch. madVR should be sending the correct resolution and handling any calibrations (madVR uses a 256x256x256 LUT). I suppose it may offer better deinterlacing than current video cards do.
you can't send an interlanced image anyway.
madVR is outputting RGB so you need to scale the chroma scaling chroma before deintelrancing is destroy the chroma channel.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2016, 04:25   #39854  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
you can't send an interlanced image anyway.
madVR is outputting RGB so you need to scale the chroma scaling chroma before deintelrancing is destroy the chroma channel.
Ah right, of course. I even knew that.

There really is nothing for a Lumagen to do after madVR.
Old 27th October 2016, 05:32   #39855  |  Link
TheDarkTemplar

So about a month ago, MPC-HC started crashing when I tried to play a video. It was shortly after I updated my Radeon GPU drivers, so I fixed it by downgrading to the previous version.

A similar issue is now happening, but I'm pretty sure nothing has changed this time. Whenever I attempt to enter fullscreen, the whole computer locks up for a while and moves slowly for a while after that, several unrelated applications will all simultaneously crash, and this then culminates in a BSOD. I'm not sure what could be causing this (MPC, MadVR, Radeon) but in any case it's pretty much the worst possible bug that anything could result in.

I tried updating my Radeon drivers to the latest version now (16.10.2) and the problem did not change. Other video players are all playing videos in fullscreen fine.

I am using MPC-HC x64 1.7.10 and madVR v0.90.24. Can someone help me get to the bottom of this?
TheDarkTemplar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2016, 06:07   #39856  |  Link
TheDarkTemplar

I guess the issue was that the GPU drivers had automatically updated to a more recent version (though not the latest one) without notifying me, as I just downgraded back to 16.7.3 and everything is working perfectly again.

It is a shame that newer drivers are totally messing things up though. I hope it can be resolved somehow soon. Is there any way I can help by providing crash logs or something?
TheDarkTemplar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2016, 08:05   #39857  |  Link
huhn

you can work around it: http://bugs.madshi.net/view.php?id=431
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2016, 12:54   #39858  |  Link
Mistery 73

madVR prejudice exists an algorithm similar to Darbee, I want to remove the radiance between HTPC and projector though the effect of Darbee I like as much as I do?
Mistery 73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2016, 15:29   #39859  |  Link
billqs

Hey! I bought a GTX1070 Founders Edition to up my ability to use Madvr settings. I don't currently game, though at some point I plan to use VR. Mostly, though the HTPC powers my Media Room and hooks to a JVC RS500 projector with a 133" screen. My system:
Windows 7 x64
ASUS Z170 motherboard
i5 6600 CPU
16 GB memory
GTX 1070 video card (replacing a GTX 960)
Using MPC HC right now for Lav filters and Madvr

By overclocking the 1070 to right around 2000 clock, upping fan speed to full and increasing memory speed by 600 I was finally able to use NNEDI 3 for Image Doubling for 1080P and Image Quadrupling for 720p (All signals go to projector at 3820 x 2160. I had to compromise on several other settings to get this to work without many dropping frames, and I'm still not certain it will remain stable especially with the POS Founders Edition stock cooler. I downgraded Chroma Upscaling to BiCubic and Image Downscaling to Lancoz get under 40ms. I've turned the card for maximum performance (turned off power settings). At standard stock speed I can do one factor NNEDI 3 everything else is compromise.

My question is if I need to change cards to better enable the Madvr results?

I have 3 choices I believe:
1. Get an aftermarket 1070 with a better cooler so that the overclock will be more stable (though I'm running a pretty stout overclock right now)
2. Get a GTX1080 and hopefully it will allow me to run with optimized settings at stock speed.
3. Keep the card I have now and continue to come up with a compromise that works well for it (though the cooler is weak so I have high temps.

I noticed the discussion about TFLOPS having a correlation to performance for Madvr. The 1070 has 4.5 TFLOPS while the 1080 has 9TFLOPS.

Thanks for your help.
billqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2016, 16:23   #39860  |  Link
Betroz
Is this for real?

Quote:
Originally Posted by billqs View Post
I have 3 choices I believe:
1. Get an aftermarket 1070 with a better cooler so that the overclock will be more stable (though I'm running a pretty stout overclock right now)
2. Get a GTX1080 and hopefully it will allow me to run with optimized settings at stock speed.
3. Keep the card I have now and continue to come up with a compromise that works well for it (though the cooler is weak so I have high temps.

I noticed the discussion about TFLOPS having a correlation to performance for Madvr. The 1070 has 4.5 TFLOPS while the 1080 has 9TFLOPS.

Thanks for your help.
The GTX 1070 is a 6.46 TFLOPS card. An aftermarket 1080 or wait for the 1080Ti if you can afford it.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling