Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 5th March 2012, 00:27   #12501  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Too bad, thanks for the heads up. Just to be safe that it's the same issue, can you upload a new freeze report with the Aleksoid MPC-HC build?
I actually can't generate a freeze report once it's frozen, I don't know how it managed to before. I tried a good dozen times even testing during playback to make sure it was functioning correctly.
Best I can do is supply you with a log FWIW.. I guess ideally I would have MPC build to test that completely reverses the change in 3619.

http://www.mediafire.com/?lp2c3xlu9uaqc2u
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2012, 00:58   #12502  |  Link
mrcorbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcorbo View Post
I'm finding that the automatic display mode changer isn't taking deinterlacing+IVTC into account when determining which display mode to change to. It is selecting 1080p60, even though the playback rate is 24fps. When the content is already 24p, 1080p24 is selected correctly. Can anyone confirm, or am I missing something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi
Did you force madVR into film mode? Only in film mode madVR is supposed to switch to 24p, when playing back a 1080i60 file.
Yeah, Andy O and robpdotcom set me straight. I was indeed missing something.

And thanks for adding the screenmode switch on fullscreen options. MadVR is (functionally) nearly perfect for me now.
mrcorbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2012, 01:27   #12503  |  Link
aufkrawall

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker_ger View Post
I vote for the latter. When it is off, you can easily spot it and turn it on manually, but the other way around is not that obvious, while you are loosing quality and gpu time.
And when it is on for progressive content, picture may become jittering, especially texts.
I'm rather convenient with the idea that the renderer only deinterlaces when the content is clearly flagged as interlaced by the decoder.
I agree with nev, why should it be a problem to madVR if it isn't to EVR?
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2012, 03:09   #12504  |  Link
andybkma

Quote:
Does the distortion repair itself? Or does it stay distorted forever? In other words: Is it just a temporary cosmetical glitch? Or is it a real usability problem?
The issue does repair itself however an additional problem occurs besides the distorting Zoom Player interface when coming out of FSE with "Present Several Frames in Advance" unchecked. Apps (such as Task Manager) that have been been minimized after being started after ZP had been executed can be seen inside the Zoom Player viewing error when coming out of FSE. The effect is rather odd as I can see portions of my browser combined with other open applications for a second inside ZP's viewable window when coming out of FSE, the ZP GUI distorts then, and then resumes shapes and plays normally. I have never had this exact same type problem before with mVR, only now with recent versions .80 & .81.

Can you recommend any of the default options to change with "Present Several Frames in Advance" checked so more to mimic the behavior of that option unchecked for troubleshooting purposes?

Last edited by andybkma; 5th March 2012 at 03:21.
andybkma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2012, 05:22   #12505  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
This build has not fixed it unfortunately.
I can also confirm that the issue still exists in that MPC-HC test build.
Quote:
I actually can't generate a freeze report once it's frozen, I don't know how it managed to before. I tried a good dozen times even testing during playback to make sure it was functioning correctly.
Oddly enough, I also was unable to produce a freeze log this time for whatever reason. As ryrynz did, I attempted multiple times with the required keys, but nothing happened. I'll try again the next time I get it to freeze.

One thing I've noticed about that build is that there seem to be longer delays when switching to the next file, and a couple times I've seen the madVR OSD report 'Exclusive Mode Failed' upon the next file loading. All very random, so I'm unsure how easy it would be to catch it in a log.

Edit: Even though I reproduce the freeze on my first attempt with that MPC-HC test build, I'm having trouble reproducing it a second time at the moment. The exact same problem is definitely still there, but maybe it's less frequent, maybe not. Unfortunately this freeze issue always had some randomness to it, with good and bad stretches.

Edit2: It seem the 'Exclusive Mode Failed' is the result of the mouse cursor resting at the bottom of the screen when loading a new file, and that MPC-HC build popping-up the MPC fullscreen controls during this transition when the screen is still black. This kicks madVR out of Exclusive Mode before the next files loads, and since that MPC-HC build keeps the MPC controls up until the next file fully loads, madVR fails to re-enter Exclusive Mode.

Last edited by cyberbeing; 5th March 2012 at 07:08.
cyberbeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2012, 05:34   #12506  |  Link
shaolin95

Not sure if this is a question for this thread but just in case, I noticed that I can set my speakers to 7.1 then do a test in x-fi and all are working but when I play the movies only the rear speakers work, not the side ones.
shaolin95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2012, 06:04   #12507  |  Link
Zachs
Suptitle, MediaPlayer.NET

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaolin95 View Post
Not sure if this is a question for this thread but just in case, I noticed that I can set my speakers to 7.1 then do a test in x-fi and all are working but when I play the movies only the rear speakers work, not the side ones.
madVR == VIDEO RENDERER.
You're asking questions about audio in a video renderer thread???
Zachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2012, 06:07   #12508  |  Link
shaolin95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachs View Post
madVR == VIDEO RENDERER.
You're asking questions about audio in a video renderer thread???
The guide I used to install it had other things installed with it including audio filters so I thought it was all meant to work together...no need for attitude
Old 5th March 2012, 06:07   #12509  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Ideally you want to do a whole lot of testing. But first and foremost try your player with another renderer, EVR for example and see if it still happens. If it does still occur then start changing your drivers, changing file content, changing your media player etc. Once you find what's causing it post in the appropriate forum of the developer for that software/hardware.
Old 5th March 2012, 06:24   #12510  |  Link
Zachs

Quote:
The guide I used to install it had other things installed with it including audio filters so I thought it was all meant to work together...no need for attitude
This is not your first time asking this question.

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=161590

You didn't get an answer you're satisfied with over there, and you're now posting it here.

Old 5th March 2012, 06:38   #12511  |  Link
shaolin95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachs View Post
This is not your first time asking this question.

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=161590

You didn't get an answer you're satisfied with over there, and you're now posting it here.

Since you got so much time to search what I have posted before maybe you have the brain to understand I am using a different configuration so I was expecting it might work differently now since I see the decoder showing 7 levels for speakers under status....
I often wonder what kind of satisfaction people like you get from acting like this...is something missing in your personal life that you somehow make up for by doing this?

madshi, sorry for the post, I will take this question to a different area.
Old 5th March 2012, 07:01   #12512  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Maybe we should put this to a vote? What are all of you guys think about this? Would you rather have madVR activate deinterlacing too often? Or rather not often enough?
I reckon go default not often enough, there's always the option to change it for specific files if required.
Old 5th March 2012, 07:09   #12513  |  Link
Zachs

You'll understand if you're a developer, having to take childish insults from noobs who haven't a clue what they're doing. But somehow it's your fault anyway for releasing a free of charge software that is well loved by majority.
Old 5th March 2012, 07:20   #12514  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbeing View Post
Oddly enough, I also was unable to produce a freeze log this time for whatever reason. As ryrynz did, I attempted multiple times with the required keys, but nothing happened. I'll try again the next time I get it to freeze.
I tried doing a report just before the freeze which I'm unsure would generate any useful info anyway, but MadVR just drops into windowed mode and prevents the crash from ever happening.
I really don't rate my chances doing a report, I've deliberately made it crash many times without success in generating one.
Old 5th March 2012, 09:42   #12515  |  Link
djsolidsnake86

madshi can you work for colour profiles control like amd ccc control?
djsolidsnake86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2012, 15:33   #12516  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragg987 View Post
Issue: I tag my PAL MKV files with "23p" in the filename. 0.81 no longer auto-switches monitor frequency, stays at the default 50Hz. Worked fine with 0.80. Have also tried using "24Hz" in the filename, and fullscreen and windowed. Have double-checked my auto-frequency settings, all is set fine.
Please try again with the next build. It seems to work on my PC. Hopefully it will work for you, too. If not, please create a debug log with the next build and upload it (zipped) somewhere for me. Thx.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
Anyway, I just think that by default you should stick to the same behavior as EVR, and deinterlace what you're told to deinterlace by the decoder
Quote:
I vote for the latter. When it is off, you can easily spot it and turn it on manually, but the other way around is not that obvious, while you are loosing quality and gpu time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aufkrawall View Post
And when it is on for progressive content, picture may become jittering, especially texts.
I'm rather convenient with the idea that the renderer only deinterlaces when the content is clearly flagged as interlaced by the decoder.
Quote:
I reckon go default not often enough, there's always the option to change it for specific files if required.
Ok, I surrender...

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbeing View Post
Hmmmm... You not being able to produce a freeze report *may* (eventually) indicate that it's a different problem now. Can you please try running this tool, when MPC-HC is frozen:

http://madshi.net/madTraceProcess.zip

It will allow you to select which process to create a report for. Choose MPC-HC. If MPC-HC insists on being in front of the madTraceProcess tool so you can't see the madTraceProcess GUI, just manually switch to it and press return. That should be enough to invoke the freeze report creation. You can start madTraceProcess by using the "New Task" button on the first page of the task manager.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andybkma View Post
The issue does repair itself however an additional problem occurs besides the distorting Zoom Player interface when coming out of FSE with "Present Several Frames in Advance" unchecked. Apps (such as Task Manager) that have been been minimized after being started after ZP had been executed can be seen inside the Zoom Player viewing error when coming out of FSE. The effect is rather odd as I can see portions of my browser combined with other open applications for a second inside ZP's viewable window when coming out of FSE, the ZP GUI distorts then, and then resumes shapes and plays normally. I have never had this exact same type problem before with mVR, only now with recent versions .80 & .81.

Can you recommend any of the default options to change with "Present Several Frames in Advance" checked so more to mimic the behavior of that option unchecked for troubleshooting purposes?
Please retry with the next build. It might improve things a bit again. But I don't really know if it will fully fix things for you. Maybe there will be no change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsolidsnake86 View Post
madshi can you work for colour profiles control like amd ccc control?
Didn't you already ask that a couple of days/weeks ago? Color controls may eventually be implemented in a future madVR version, but probably not very soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddball View Post
Well it looks like if I want bitstreaming support I cannot use MadVR and use EVR Sync instead which is a shame or just use ReClock to adjust the audio alongside MadVR which I have always done in the past. It's bugging me having to output as analog though instead of letting the receiver do it's thing.
There is no specific reason why madVR should not work with bitstreaming. I don't know why you're having problems. Your reports are so complicated with so many things thrown in (like Reclock and the problem with the mirror line with your display etc) that I don't really know what to say. You can't solve all problems at once. You should tackle one problem at a time. A good start would be to setup things the way you think they should work. If they don't work, report the exact issues here, then maybe we can help you get going.

Quote:
I tried both madVR's internal decoder and LAV, plus I tested LAV Splitter and Haali's splitter. No other filters in the chain.

Decided to create a log, no idea if it is of any use:
http://www.mediafire.com/?8to7gxzx2ecu0b9
1. start playing (progressively)
2. force deinterlacing via ctrl+alt+shift+d (not working)
3. force field order tff (starts working)
4. force field order bff (still working)
5. end
Ok, found the problem, will be fixed in the next build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashGordon View Post
The DVD Navigator isn't present when I open the individual VOBs, but it is when I open the full DVD. Maybe that has something to do with it?
Yes, it has. You found a special madVR feature... madVR tries to find out what the original video resolution was, before any video processing (like upscaling) was performed. Imagine you have the "ffdshow raw video processor" in your DirectShow chain and it upscales the video to HD. In that case a "naive" algorithm would guess wrong primaries because it would think that the upscaled resolution is the native video resolution. In order to improve automatic primaries detection, madVR tries to locate the splitter in the DirectShow graph chain and uses the splitter's video output resolution to guess the primaries and decoding matrix etc. Unfortunately the MS DVD Navigator seems to always report a resolution of 720x480, for both NTSC and PAL DVDs. It's not a real problem during playback because the decoder doesn't really care what the splitter says and will just correct the information. But madVR bases its guess on what the splitter (in this case MS DVD Navigator) says.

Anyway, the next madVR version will explicitly detect the MS DVD Navigator and ignore what it has to say. That fixes the primaries misdetection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashGordon View Post
Here are the IVTC Samples:

The shorter sample in there is from a different DVD I found to exhibit some similar behavior, but the combing seems to be much rarer on this DVD compared to the Broken Blossoms ones you requested
Great! The "Strike" samples are somewhat similar to the Broken Blossoms samples. Can I have 2 samples more from "Strike"? Thanks a lot!!
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2012, 18:28   #12517  |  Link
Razoola

I would like to talk a little about system freezes as I have had trouble with this over the last few weeks again. Firstly when I say system freeze I am talking about a complete system lockup with the only solution being a reset. This is not madVR related so much but I hope madshi does not mind me posting this here as it may help some of you.

I want to go back all the way to reclock v1860. This release of reclock used a new audio resampler and for what ever reason it was just not stable on my system as sometimes it would cause a system freeze a few seconds into playback, sometimes after an hour and sometimes not at all. Given I could go back to the previous version of reclock and the problem was gone I perstered james about this issue after every reclock released until I just gave up in the end. I went though everything I could think of, from memory tests to hours of prime95 but everything was stable. To cut a long story short this issue was never fixed and in the end I used a complied Resampler.dll that used the old sampler to solve the issue with newer reclock releases or use bit streaming.

At some point I tried the newer resampler again and everything was fine.. Basically I never found what the cause of the freeze was....

Now about three weeks ago I did a few system software upgrades, Mobo bios and GFX driver, madVR and LAV... I thought everything went fine but guess what..... BAM the freezing during movie playback had returned.... A few minutes later I remember my passed issue and tried the old reclock resampler.dll and guess what freeze was gone instantly. I though to myself let me undo all the upgrades to see if I can finally find the cause. I put back the old bios with its previous settings (that were saved), no joy. Put back the older gfx driver but no joy, old madVR, no joy. Finally old LAV, no joy. So again I ran through all the stress tests I could think of but nothing turned up a problem....

So now my system is back where it was with this issue. I personally feel its an issue between the onboard audio of my nvidia gfx card and one of the onboard LAN adapters on my mobo. It seems that the freeze only happens when either intensive audio is playing or doing something lan related... Initialting the TOR client for example can cause the freeze.

My point here being that it could have been very easy for me to point the finger at madVR given a new version was running when the freezes started to occur again during video playback. It was only my past experiance on my system that stopped me reporting to this thread. My advise to anyone now getting system freezing (esp if you updated to the new 295.xx nvidia drivers) is to try the following tests;

1) Disable any onboard LAN adapters and see if the freeze stops.
2) Take reclock out of the loop and see if system freezes stop.
3) Play a video while not using an audio device onboard a gfx card and see if the freezing stops.

Only after you have ruled out the above can you start thinking about it being an issue with madVR.
Razoola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2012, 20:41   #12518  |  Link
kalston

Quote:
Where would 25p content come from? PAL DVD? I've been told that while many DVDs are properly encoded and flagged, some are not. Wouldn't it be better to let madVR analyze the content and deal with it properly instead of relying on the flags? FWIW, there are hardware DVD players out there which are blindly relying on flag, and there are others which instead always deinterlace/IVTC. Usually those with a high-quality chip (HQV, Gennum, ABT) always deinterlace/IVTC and ignore the flags. My thinking is that madVR should match what the best hardware players out there are doing.
Melancholia is a 25p blu-ray (it was actually shot at 25fps)
Antichrist too I think (but I don't own that one).

Not saying there are many of those though
kalston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2012, 21:17   #12519  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

The Blu-Ray spec doesn't allow 25p, it only allows 50i, as far as I know. Ok, I guess you can encode 25p with telecine flags. Anyway, topic closed, I bowed to the majority vote. So no need to discuss this any further.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2012, 22:18   #12520  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Can you please try running this tool, when MPC-HC is frozen
Done!

http://www.mediafire.com/?j35x2222n0wjwrm

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling