Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 AVC / H.264

Old 5th October 2006, 02:51   #1  |  Link
COREiP

No more vfw x264 builds?

Bond I got lots of respect for you and what you have done but this makes no sense. Why do you have to ban topics about x264 vfw... Some of us prefer to use vfw because its simple... nobody is asking for you to build anything.
COREiP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2006, 04:37   #2  |  Link
ChronoCross
Does it really matter?

wow another person about to get a strike.
ChronoCross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2006, 04:44   #3  |  Link
DDogg
Retired, but still around

Hmm, it always worries me when somebody much smarter than me starts making my decisions for me. I know there must be an excellent reason, but I still prefer to make my own decisions about what is best for me - and make my own mistakes. Free world and all that.

Another thing I know for sure is having a vfw x264 version is sure nice for those of us trying to tinker a little and upgrade our knowledge. VDubMod is pretty dated I guess, but then so am I. Playing around with x264 in in VDubMod is like wearing an old comfortable pair of jeans - even though I know eventually I'll need to get a new pair cause they are worn out. Keypoint here is that it is my decision when to chuck them out, not anybody else's - no matter how well meaning they are.
DDogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2006, 07:04   #4  |  Link
ChronoCross
Does it really matter?

x264 in vdubmod is kinda like buying a pair of shoes with rocks permanently inside. It works alright for awhile but then you end up breaking your feet and you can no longer switch shoes. It doesn't help that the way you walk is just a tiny bit crippled and you look retarded in the meantime.
Old 5th October 2006, 07:32   #5  |  Link
foxyshadis
Angel of Night

So what's the worst that can happen. People still use nandub, of all things, or VDub 1.3c, or Divx 3.11, or AC3 in mp4, but we don't close every thread that mentions them. We just recommend something newer and more compliant, and tell them most people here won't be able to (or want to) help them if they keep using it, so they're on their own.

The x264vfw dogpiles are one of the reasons that Doom9 has a reputation as a bunch of arrogant pricks. (Which I don't believe, but everyone I've pointed here says that's their first impression after reading a few threads, or what they've heard online.)
foxyshadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2006, 07:58   #6  |  Link
ChronoCross
Does it really matter?

I thinkt hat is based on the fact that most people come here looking to ask a question and expect a walkthough. and when they get told to use search it pisses them off.

The reason that the modderators are taking a hardline stance on this is because it's causing everyone who spends time helping people learning to pull their hair out when someone insists on using avi, when it is very clear that this was never what avi was meant for.

I always get a good laugh when people cannot figure out why when their using a method that should have died awhile ago they get crap quality or poor sync or stream errors they always cry.

Isn't the fact that you bascially have to spend more time learning the workarounds for such tasks when you could just spend the time learning something like MeGUI to do all of that? It seems like a waste of time to me.

I'll go back and use the old 5 1/2 floppy machine in my parents garage simply because it fits like a shoe and is easy to use.

these vfw pricks need to look at it like this: They always want NEW features, NEW AND BETTER compression, NEW 64-bit architecture (this one is for you KRP), and yet they still insist on using OLD AND OBSOLETE VFW. Hypocritical if you ask me.
Old 5th October 2006, 09:12   #7  |  Link
DDogg
Retired, but still around

Couple of things - (I feel a DD soapbox fit coming on)

ChronoCross, you seem to have taken it upon yourself to speak for the mods. Did you speak with them about that first?

On top of that, Sirber instructs Bond to close threads including positive comments by very respected members like SMD as well as twice instructing Bond to issue strikes to people who spoke out. Amazingly those instructions were followed.

That is totally inappropriate and unacceptable conduct for a non mod and I know of what I speak as one of the older members, and ex mods of this forum.

Second, yeah, the Doom9 forum is elitist, and was always designed to be, BUT there were safeguards put in place to protect from abuse of power. One of those is the right for members to respectfully disagree (which I am doing)

Third, who wants to use an AVI? There are some of us who would like to use CQ x264 with AC3 in a MKV format who don't care about chapters and all the other stuff. It works fine for now

Fourth, people will naturally move off VFW gradually as the GUI and other tools stabilize and are not actively bleeding all over the place and having their bandages changed daily. Until then, some folks don't really appreciate intrusions from those who spend a large amount of time proclaiming to know it all, for all the rest of us.

Remember, the D9 is a living virtual community. It may not be a democracy, but it is supposed to be benevolent and welcoming to new people (who translate into new talent). It does not exist as a few peoples personal club used for personal agendas. It exists to compile, refine, and spread specialized knowledge of a complex and difficult subject, and to teach that knowledge to those who will come after and replace those of you that burn out.

Best to all good things D9. May it be here 10 years from now healthy and strong as ever.

Bond, if you feel this is out of line then do what you gotta do. No hard feelings and I hope you know you are truly appeciated.
DDogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2006, 09:48   #8  |  Link
quake74

I don't really care about vfw since I don't use it, but I'd like to suggest that the admins (doom9/sirber/bond or whoever) puts up a new sticky (or change the old "About the missing option in the x264 VfW") to include a (semi)official statement along the lines of:

"Most of the admin/moderators of this forum believe that vfw is an old technology and should not be used with modern codecs and especially x264. Forcing x264 to work with vfw can only be accomplished with a series of hacks which take time away from actually improving x264 compression. For this reason, we (most of the admins/mods/etc) do not support at all any vfw build of x264. So people asking for help will probably receive none, and people complaining about the lack of vfw will probably receive a strike."

Obviously the statement should be rewritten by somebody who knows what he's talking about
quake74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2006, 09:54   #9  |  Link
Kurtnoise
Swallowed in the Sea

x264 rev 581 : no more vfw. Isn't that clear enough ?
Kurtnoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2006, 10:23   #10  |  Link
crnagora

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtnoise13 View Post
x264 rev 581 : no more vfw. Isn't that clear enough ?
Cruel world
crnagora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2006, 10:34   #11  |  Link
check
phjbdpcrjlj2sb3h

You could always try this: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=95415

I don't really understand the complaint that the vfw interface is easy to set up. I tried real anime 4 a few month ago, and that is far simpler. Perhaps "familiar" is a better word?
check is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2006, 11:58   #12  |  Link
Sirber
retired developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by quake74 View Post
but I'd like to suggest that the admins (doom9/sirber/bond or whoever)
I'm no admin Just a simple user.

@check

x264gui is outdated.
Old 5th October 2006, 13:56   #13  |  Link
Irwin

I asked authors about special version realanime, megui or others - "special" -> that works on below 256Mb ram. I have only 192MB ram and Vdub&h264 works superb (with avimux and he-aac sound i get normal sync audio and avi output) but when i run this "piece of cra..." Megui or realanime -> "256MB needed"

x264 for vfw is strongly needed

sorry for my poor english
Irwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2006, 14:04   #14  |  Link
Sirber
retired developer

@Irwin

If you don't use filtering x264 will use less than 100MB RAM. Also, I don't remember your email/pm . If extra ram is needed, windows will swap other stuff. RealAnime won,t block you. Only thing, RealAnime 5 quality profiles are ment for P4 3Ghz and equivalent.
Old 5th October 2006, 14:14   #15  |  Link
DarkZell666
aka XaS

These complaints were bound to happen, x264.nl's survey concerning x264's usage showed that only hardly less than half of the users still used vfw.

I can understand the dev's dropping vfw since it isn't their main pre-occupation, but that doesn't mean nobody else can continue developping it ! It's open-source, bl**dy hell ! Just connect to the SVN and checkout the previous's revisions's sourcecode !

If vfw is really needed (which seems to be the case), then a user that has much interest in vfw should continue development and provide builds if he has some time (maintaining a dll and an ini file shouldn't be too much hassle )

However, I don't agree much with Sirber and bond's anti-vfw reckage. DDog is right I'm afraid, we're big enough to decide what we want to use. Hints as to why not use vfw are still welcome, as long as you provide an alternative (which Irwin didn't find in the first place).

@Irwin : I can suggest you use leiming's x264 gui (works with the cli), it's very light, and even if it has a couple of silly bugs for now (and doesn't come bundled with the required software either xD), they might get resolved if you really need it. Mencoder264 would be another nice alternative for you (uses mencoder as the name suggests).

For other people who absolutely need to encode to h264 via vfw, use ffdshow's vfw helper (it also works for encoding ).

The solution to help people forget about vdub/vfw and the like is to provide _easy_ alternatives.
Learning AviSynth isn't easy for everyone (MeGUI isn't easy either imho) compared to vdub.
To add to what DDog was saying, so many of the GUI's out there need a VERY BIG usability improvement before the masses start using them.

Q9300 OC @ 3.2ghz / Asus P5E3 / 4GB PC10600 / Geforce 8600 GTS

Last edited by DarkZell666; 5th October 2006 at 14:26.
DarkZell666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2006, 14:20   #16  |  Link
Kurtnoise
Swallowed in the Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkZell666 View Post
For other people who absolutely need to encode to h264 via vfw, use ffdshow's vfw helper (it also works for encoding ).
This has been also removed is recent builds...

edit : about light vfw alternative : there is a gtk interface dedicated to x264. Not finished yet with 2pass mode but it's very promising.

Last edited by Kurtnoise; 5th October 2006 at 14:23.
Kurtnoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2006, 14:54   #17  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

To repeat what I mentioned yesterday, I still use the VfW builds because it's the only way I can obtain a reliable (non B-VOP) AVC stream to work with QT7 player!

Even then, any build higher than Sharktooth's Core 36 SVN 322 dated Oct 09 2005, won't allow me to generate 2-pass encodes with MPEG Mediator!

By-the-way, I've tried generating MPEG-4 AVC streams using Recode2, and StaxRip (x264). And while they play perfectly well in 99.9% of software media players, they don't play in QT7 player And using another "web based" media player is not an option due to "client" restraints!

If somebody knows why this is and can point me to which "QT7 player" friendly settings I should be selecting I will (of-course) stop using VfW and encoding to evil AVI.
Old 5th October 2006, 15:01   #18  |  Link
Sirber
retired developer

QT7 is not complient.
Also, the vids I make for iPod using x264.exe plays #1 in QT7
Old 5th October 2006, 15:03   #19  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
To repeat what I mentioned yesterday, I still use the VfW builds because it's the only way I can obtain a reliable (non B-VOP) AVC stream to work with QT7 player!

Even then, any build higher than Sharktooth's Core 36 SVN 322 dated Oct 09 2005, won't allow me to generate 2-pass encodes with MPEG Mediator!

By-the-way, I've tried generating MPEG-4 AVC streams using Recode2, and StaxRip (x264). And while they play perfectly well in 99.9% of software media players, they don't play in QT7 player And using another "web based" media player is not an option due to "client" restraints!

If somebody knows why this is and can point me to which "QT7 player" friendly settings I should be selecting I will (of-course) stop using VfW and encoding to evil AVI.
I made a specific MeGUI x264 profile for QT ages ago.
IIRC StaxRip has it too and also AutoMKV.

Last edited by Sharktooth; 5th October 2006 at 15:51.
Sharktooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2006, 16:19   #20  |  Link
Kostarum Rex Persia
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoCross View Post
wow another person about to get a strike.
I don't think so

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyshadis
The x264vfw dogpiles are one of the reasons that Doom9 has a reputation as a bunch of arrogant pricks.
Yes, that's true, unfortunately. People (admins), you can't behave like that, it's not very polite.
Kostarum Rex Persia is offline   Reply With Quote