Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > One click suites for DVD backup and DVD creation

Old 26th October 2001, 20:18   #1  |  Link
Fats Minnesota

Toshiba 210e and SVCDs

I have just ripped The matrix from DVD using DVD2SVCD and burned the image using FireBurner. however i am having sync problems on my Toshiba SD 210e standalone player, the video leads the audio by about 1/4-1/2 second, plays ok on my PC using WinDVD and vcds play fine on the Tosh. is there anything i can tweak inDVD2SVCD to make it work properly with SVCDs

any ideas please
Fats Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2001, 20:27   #2  |  Link
JulCat

Have you tried to put 2 or 3 seconds in the movie offset in the bbMPEG tab (>0 is recommended. It can solve desync on dvd players)
JulCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2001, 00:42   #3  |  Link
Fats Minnesota

Yeah i was running it on more or less default settings, 2 seconds was already selected. Do i need to set this higher?
Thanks for the reply by the way.
Any more ideas?
Old 27th October 2001, 14:42   #4  |  Link
Fats Minnesota

tried again with the bbmpeg movie offset value value set to 5sec (max i think) but still sync problems.
Any ideas? Will try running at 0 seconds to see if there is any difference.
Old 27th October 2001, 22:45   #5  |  Link
rocket_robot

I am also getting this same problem, have tried just about everything. I think the delay is 233 milliseconds. To get round this I offset the video by 413 ms, audio by 180 ms in bbmpeg. This works, but of course if the Disk is played on another player the sound is out.
rocket_robot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2001, 02:24   #6  |  Link
Fats Minnesota

how do you change these values in bbmpeg?
Do you have the same problem with the video leading the audio as i do.
Do you have the same player Toshiba SD210E.
Thanks for the help
Old 29th October 2001, 12:44   #7  |  Link
rocket_robot

Yes, I have the same player. Basically if you set DVD2SVCD to not create CD image files, then when everything is finished you will end up with 2 or 3 mpeg files. Use the mpeg tools option in Tmpgenc to do a simple demultiplex on each of the files (half an hour max) Then use BBmpeg to multiplex them back together again. I think there is BBmpeg guide on this site. Anyway in the program tab, under SVCD at the bottom you should see 4 boxes pack, video, audio and audio 2. Set these to 0,413,180 and 180 respectively. You will find that the mpeg is out of sync on your PC but OK on the Toshiba. The 413 is only my best guess. Let me know if you tweek it up or down.

Finally use nero or Vcdimager to burn to CD.

Note. I am still kinda new to this as well, so there may be a way of setting up DVD2SVCD to have those offsets already in it. If anyone knows how this can be done please let me know.

Rocket.

By the way my friend has just bought a toshiba 210e, I'll see if his is out of sync as well, it could just be our firmware version.

****Update ***** Yes his player has exactly the same delay between sound and video

Last edited by rocket_robot; 29th October 2001 at 19:18.
Old 30th October 2001, 01:16   #8  |  Link
Fats Minnesota

Cheers m8 i'll let you know how i get on
Old 30th October 2001, 14:59   #9  |  Link
rocket_robot

I will probably get flamed for this.

(Editing an executable is not usually a wise idea, and it is only so I don't have demux and remux every time)

But, one easy way I have found to solve my problem is to 'hack' the dvd2svcd executable. And change the BBpmpeg ini file settings to use a video delay of 413 instead of the default 180.

Basically you download this program FXEDIT32

http://www.programmersheaven.com/zone16/cat289/2993.htm

use it to open up DVD2SVCD.exe Then search, and find string 'videoDelay=180'

then edit/ edithex

Next change the value from 180 to 413. Then save the file. It is probably wise to save under a new name.

Then you can run the new DVD2SCVD.exe as normal and the final files it produces will have the correct offset for the toshiba player every time.

Rocket.

Also, just out of interest does anyone one know why I only get 60% CPU usage when running CCE on a twin pIII 1gig processor machine? My speed is only .671.

Last edited by rocket_robot; 30th October 2001 at 15:06.
Old 30th October 2001, 15:56   #10  |  Link
dvd2svcd

Yipiiie, somebody has hacked my program Finally.

Everybody can hack dvd2svcd as much as they want, I don't care. BUT if you begin to spread a hacked version I will have your head on a platter.
dvd2svcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2001, 16:10   #11  |  Link
Mozart
DVD2SVCD Former Moderator

Ehh... Did I understood right? You don't care if somebody hacks your program? VERY good

I will start to do it now - course, only for self use.

btw: you are a realy good guy
Mozart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2001, 17:19   #12  |  Link
markrb
Old fart

Now you tell me. If I knew 15 years ago I would have learned how to program .

Rocket as for your speed issue. It could be a few things. Amount of memory, cce is a memory hog, memory bandwidth (even though you have dual CPU's you still only have one memory pipe), bus speed (goes back to memory bandwidth) and how well does CCE actually use 2 CPU's (you could have 50, but if the program doesn't spred the wealth it doesn't make a bit of difference). Much Less likely is disk usage or video card speed.

Mark
markrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2001, 18:39   #13  |  Link
dvd2svcd

@Mozart: Yeah, I am a real cool guy

Anyway, what does: "O mundo não é ruim. É somente mal frequentado." mean?
Old 30th October 2001, 19:20   #14  |  Link
Mozart
DVD2SVCD Former Moderator

"O mundo não é ruim. É somente mal frequentado." Well...there isn't a good translation for this sentence. It means something like "The world is not bad. It is only badly visited."
Did you got it?
Mozart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2001, 02:28   #15  |  Link
Fats Minnesota

Ok Rocket, thanks for the help your solution seems to fix the problem well enough to watch an SVCD, Cheers. BTW i find that a setting of about 470 ms seems to work better on my machine.
Will maybe try your other solution, if i have the balls.
much respect to the author, will keep it to myself, of course
Old 31st October 2001, 05:12   #16  |  Link
DDogg
Retired, but still around

Rocket, put a combination lock on that program that requires somebody to translate something in hex or something to show they have a clue before allowing use. Else, we are going to have a hundred noobs changing values thinking it is cool, as they don't understand the problem is one caused by a fouled up player.

Then, after I pull all my hair out answering hairball questions, I will track you down, salt your land for a thousand years and destroy your seed forever, er, or is that your seeds?
DDogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2001, 09:19   #17  |  Link
Ruben

sd210 no delay

i made several svcds with dvd2svcd
but i never noticed an audio/video delay with my sd210e

- did you downsample your audio to 44.1kHz ?
- do you use chapters (try without)

no more to say
ruben
Ruben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2001, 09:28   #18  |  Link
rocket_robot

Markrb: Thanks. I have 650Mb RAM a VIA 6VXDC7 motherboard 2 PIII 1gig CPUs, GeForce2 MX 32Mb. Not sure on bus speed, I have a feeling it's 66 because that is what the Geforce2 reccommends. I will try upping it. Running XP 2600. CCE uses both CPUs at 60% evenly. I have tried upping the priority for that process, still nothing. If I disable 1 CPU it runs at 100% CPU. I did a 3D benchmark2001 and got 1994, if that helps. I don't think its the disks either, but may try upgrading my 4 in 1 VIA drivers again. I can't really play around too much until my Current DVD2SVCD run finishes.

Fats: I think you are right 413 may be a bit low, I'll try somewher in the middle 440 next time.

DDogg: That Hex editor isn't mine, I just chose one at random after realising notepad wouldn't do the job

Finally DVD2SCVD: What can I say, great program, keep up the good work.

Rocket.
Old 31st October 2001, 23:24   #19  |  Link
rocket_robot

Markrb:

It looks like it is not CCE that is causing the problem it is the feed to it. AVIsynth with mpeg2dec is not running fast enough. I have had a play with the avs file (used gordian knot) and changing from
BiCubicResize(480,576,0.00,0.75)
to
BiCubicResize(480,576) it goes from .67 to .95

But both Cpu's are still only running at 63%. Even if I run at 6.0 Mbps the CPUs still only go up to 68%

Anyone know how to get AVIsynth working faster ?

Ruben: Could you let us know your firmware versions for you 210e please? Just turn the player on without a disk in and press 6,0,6 then zoom

Mine are :
Boot rom V1.400
Main rom V1.600 - R2

and have you had yours made region free?

Cheers,

Rocket.
Old 1st November 2001, 04:07   #20  |  Link
Cayne

@rocket_robot: CCE does not support Multiprocessor Systems. So the maximum you could get for CCE should be 50%. The other 13% are used for AVISynth and some other threads (explorer.exe and stuff like this).
Cayne is offline   Reply With Quote