Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > One click suites for DVD backup and DVD creation

Old 17th February 2003, 16:04   #1  |  Link
valnar

Removing layer break in IFO?

Before I burn my Instant Copy image, I want to remove the fictional "layer breaks" still in it. Does anyone have a good way of doing this, while maintaining the integrity of the IFO?

Thanks,
Robert
valnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2003, 16:14   #2  |  Link
mb1

Use Ifoedit which does it fast and easy ...
Old 18th February 2003, 08:54   #3  |  Link
dattrax

It may be fast and easy,

but how?

I've not seen any way to do this without trashing or re-creating the menu. Don't say I've got to dig through the DVD specs to write a program to do this! it must have been done before.

Jim
dattrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2003, 09:17   #4  |  Link
dattrax

If this cant be done, then I think I've found the information I need in the DVD spec.

In the C_PBI there is a table describing the cell category which has the 'seamless playback flag' and 'cell still time' which are what I believe are needed to be modified.

next question, is has anyone got any opensource ifo parsing code so I can validate this?

Jim
Old 18th February 2003, 14:10   #5  |  Link
valnar

I figured out how to remove the layer break. You have to filter each VTS set through a 'VOB Extras' run in IFOEdit. It takes awhile to rewrite the VOB's, but they get cleaned and validated that way.

Robert
Old 18th February 2003, 15:15   #6  |  Link
2COOL
PGC Navigator in Training

It's easy and quicker than you think.

Removing Layer Break Guide

OLD > Cell_?: Cell type (Angle) 0 [00]
NEW > Cell_?: Cell type (Angle) 8 [08]

Easy as 1-2-3! Layer break is now gone.

Note: This layer break issue has been fixed in DVD2One 1.0.1 and later.

Last edited by 2COOL; 22nd February 2003 at 00:42.
2COOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2003, 15:49   #7  |  Link
valnar

I am looking at the Cell Address Table and don't see that value.

Robert

Last edited by valnar; 18th February 2003 at 18:47.
Old 18th February 2003, 19:08   #8  |  Link
dattrax

do you need a specific version of ifoedit for this? I use 0.95

I have located the break Cell 24

VTS_PGCITI_UT doesn't exist, only VTS_PGCTI_UT which I gathered was a typo, however it doesn't contain VTS_PGC_1

There is a VTS_PGITI/VTS_PGC_1 which has the cell ID as described so I guess it was a typo.

In the cell type you say to change from 0 to 8 for the angle, however all the other angles for the cells are 9 and not 8... Gut feeling would imply that the angle would need to be 9 in this instance and not 8. Am I correct in this?

Jim
Old 18th February 2003, 19:19   #9  |  Link
2COOL

Quote:
Originally posted by dattrax
There is a VTS_PGITI/VTS_PGC_1 which has the cell ID as described so I guess it was a typo.
I stand corrected. It is VTS_PGCITI. Guide has been corrected.

Quote:

In the cell type you say to change from 0 to 8 for the angle, however all the other angles for the cells are 9 and not 8... Gut feeling would imply that the angle would need to be 9 in this instance and not 8. Am I correct in this?Jim
All my other neighboring non-break cells show an 8. I have not done a 9. To my knowledge, I haven't seen a 9 in a cell yet. Maybe there's a difference between regional DVDs. If your non-break cells show a 9 then I would put a 9. That's how I figured mine out. I know there's a 10 in the last cell. I wouldn't have posted the guide if 8 didn't work.

Last edited by 2COOL; 18th February 2003 at 19:22.
Old 18th February 2003, 19:48   #10  |  Link
Rombaldi
MPEG Packet Picker

Where's Derrow when we need him?
Rombaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2003, 19:59   #11  |  Link
valnar

Quote:
Originally posted by Rombaldi
Where's Derrow when we need him?
Deeerroooww!! DEERRROOOOOWWWW!!!

My other question is; Is the layer break just in the IFO file or does it exist somewhere in the VOB too? I think for now, I'll use my longer "VOB Extras" method until Derrow can answer.

-Robert
Old 18th February 2003, 20:16   #12  |  Link
mpucoder

"layer break" is not a correct term for what you are looking at. Unfortunately Derrow is unreachable to talk to about this, so it remains in IfoEdit. There can be only one true layer break on a dual layer DVD (and none on single layer). There is a method of marking layer breaks (a series of sectors containg all zeroes), but the firmware of your reader should remove it.
The DVDs I've looked at have the value "2" where "layer break" is indicated by IfoEdit, meaning an STC discontinuity (the system clock is interrupted because the 2 videos are not related). If the re-encoding process replaces that with a continously increasing clock, the player would indeed stutter at that point trying to reset the clock. But, since these were originally discontinous, the cells were never meant to be seamless.
Setting bit 3 marks the cell as seamless, which, I guess, combined with a new continous system clock, allows the player to glide right through.

Edit: these values have nothing to do with the angle number, that is encoded elsewhere. A description of what these bits mean can be found at http://www.mpucoder.com/DVD/pgc.html#play

Last edited by mpucoder; 18th February 2003 at 20:24.
mpucoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2003, 20:17   #13  |  Link
2COOL

valnar,

Did your transcoding work with taking out the layer break? To the best of my knowledge, the layer break should be done in your movie's PGC cells. Where's else would it be? You wouldn't put your layer break in your menu cells.

Edit: Okay I went back to my sample DVD to check out what else needs to be done. In my layer break cell I had this...

seamless playback linked in PCI: no

All my other non break cells were set to yes. Unfortunately, it's not editable. I don't have much time right now to figure it out but if anyone know how to hexedit that, let me know.

Last edited by 2COOL; 18th February 2003 at 20:29.
Old 18th February 2003, 20:25   #14  |  Link
^Sp|ke^

nice fix but

hey the layers do get removed but when saving the ifo i get warnings like file position does not match the offset for table ID_VTS_VOBU_ADMAP and endsector does not match size
does this effect playability also i notice most non layer changes were 8 layer changes were 2 but also had a few 10 would it be better to leave the 10 alone or change it to 8?
thanks
^Sp|ke^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2003, 21:45   #15  |  Link
valnar

Quote:
Originally posted by 2COOL
valnar,
Did your transcoding work with taking out the layer break?
I never did try it. I realize it seemed silly for me to think there were multiple layer breaks in a DVD (let alone a single VTS set), but that's what Ifoedit reported. In any case, filtering each VTS set that Pinnacle made through Ifoedit clears out all those "layer breaks." Is this still a wise thing to do?

The resulting DVD no longer has those layer break remarks in any IFO, and the burned DVD plays fine. So unless somebody says I don't have to do it, I'll continue to take this extra long step....

Robert
Old 18th February 2003, 23:38   #16  |  Link
^Sp|ke^

nobody had this error?

am i the only one who had errors with ifoedit? changing 2 - 8 removes layers but gives me these errors

file position does not match the offset for table
ID_VTS_VOBU_ADMAP endsector does not match size
Old 18th February 2003, 23:57   #17  |  Link
dattrax

What reported the error?

I changed mine and everything seems in order.

Jim
Old 19th February 2003, 00:55   #18  |  Link
DVD Maniac

Not wishing to sidetrack the issue here but is the only problem with the layer break staying there that the Player will stutter at that point (like if it was reaaly a normal dual layer) or are there more serious consequencies like a hung player?
DVD Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2003, 00:59   #19  |  Link
valnar

Quote:
Originally posted by DVD Maniac
Not wishing to sidetrack the issue here but is the only problem with the layer break staying there that the Player will stutter at that point (like if it was reaaly a normal dual layer) or are there more serious consequencies like a hung player?
Personally, I have no issues whatsoever because I have a Pioneer DVD player (pretty much bulletproof). But some have mentioned issues with older Sony players. In any case, if I am going to make a disc, I want it done right. No telling that I will have this Pioneer player forever.

Robert
Old 19th February 2003, 03:07   #20  |  Link
^Sp|ke^

error

when making an image with ifoedit it has errors after changing the layers from 2 to 8

file position does not match the offset for table
ID_VTS_VOBU_ADMAP endsector does not match size

don't know what that means so i don't know if dvd players will play it