Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11th January 2006, 10:03   #1  |  Link
msx

Teleciding to 12fps and scripts.

Here's my problem

I've a NTSC DVD of a very old anime which was brutally transposed using some kind of temporal scanline blending. I've looked into the video frame by frame and it's a real mess with only one good frame out of 5, plus the field blending pattern is not always consistent among frames although it resembles the 3:2 telecine method with blending used instead of interleave.

Atop of this, there's my poor knowledge of avisynth in general, having used only VirtuaDub and TMPEG for a long time.

Searching these forums and various tutorials around the net, it seems that my only chance to give some dignity back to this material is trying a telecide to 12 fps. Here comes the problems. I've digged up some IVTC scripts like Restore24 or FixBlendIVTC but i've no idea how to adjust them to try to reconstruct the original 12fps animation rate.

Any suggestion ?

Last edited by msx; 11th January 2006 at 11:12.
msx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2006, 14:57   #2  |  Link
Chainmax
Huh?

This is probably way over my head, but please post a vob sample (you can use tools like ChopperXP for that) so that more knowledgeable people can help you. Use something like RapidUpload for hosting.
Old 11th January 2006, 20:44   #3  |  Link
msx

Thanks, ATM I've problem uploading the VOB slice, so I'll try to explain with a little graph. The sequence repeat itself:

Let A,B,C,D;E be single frames of the animated picture. AB, BC, etc are blended frames:

The DVD is NTSC 60i, bottom field first thus a tipical 10 frame sequence will look like:

Code:
Frames: 0  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  0  etc...
--------------------------------------------
Odd:    A  AB AB B* BC C* CD CD D  DE ...
Even:   A* AB AB AB BC BC C  CD D* DE E*
(*) means that there's some leftover from the past frame but usually the picture is almost "ghost free"

It looks like a mix of telecine and blend field technique and the result is really horrible. For those who were wondering, the DVD is from the Urusei Yatsura TV series (known as Lum or Lamů in other countries)

The sequence does not always repeat itself in the same way, sometimes there are less "AB" frames or more "BC". Short of opening the movie and doing all the decimate by hand one frame at time, I couldn't find a way to obtain a clear picture with VirtuaDub alone.

Last edited by msx; 11th January 2006 at 20:48.
msx is offline   Reply With Quote