Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > IFO/VOB Editors
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 6th August 2003, 05:13   #1  |  Link
2COOL
PGC Navigator in Training

MS Gundam: Char's Counterattack R1 (anime) Cheat Sheet

Mobile Suit Gundam Char’s Counterattack [Region 1]
Courtesy of 2CL

This cheat sheet mainly goes out to user oceansky. You gotta love to hate all those long intros in Anime DVDs! IMHO, the backup quality came out pretty darn good.

Update 16 Jan 2004: Original Step 8 has been transferred to Step 12 as performing this prior to DVD Shrink will cause problems. Thanks to oceansky for solution.

Tools I used
DVD Decrypter in File Mode
IFOedit 0.95
DVD Shrink 2.3
MenuEdit 2.1.1 (registered) Optional but it does clean up the menus of used buttons.
4. Backup all IFOs and BUPs to “Files” subfolder. It’s a good practice to backup your original files prior to editing. In case you mess up, you can always copy over your these files over your badly edited one and then press your “Get VTS Sectors” button to refresh data in IFOedit.

When DVd is inserted, you will have your FBI Warnings, Bandai Logo, and Dolby Digital displaying and it takes a long time before you even get to your menu. Here’s what we’ll do.

Go to VTS_01_0.IFO / VTS_PGCITI / VTS_PGC_1 / PGC Command Table:.

OLD > 12.Pre Command If GPreg<0> == (cmp-val)<3> then (LinkPGN) Link Program 3, [button=0]..[20 a6 00 00 00 03 00 03]
NEW > 12.Pre Command If GPreg<0> == (cmp-val)<3> then Break.................................[00 a2 00 00 00 03 00 00]

Note: Program 3 is the actual clip for all of your unwanted Titles in this movie. I wanted to break the navigation so that all next Pre Commands were bypassed and your Post Command executed the next navigation.

For custom Title Play configuration, click here.

Go to VTS_05_0.IFO / VTS_PGCITI / VTS_PGC_1 / PGC Command Table:. Right click on Pre Command #10 and select “Insert Command”. You will have a new Pre Command #10 with a NOP. Double left click on line to to bring up HexEdit Module. Hexedit with new value below and press OK. We need to refresh to see your change so, click on “VTS_PGCITI” and click back to your PGC Command Table you worked on.

OLD > 10.Pre Command...NOP......................................................[00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00]
NEW > 10.Pre Command...(SetSTN) Set Audio Stream: 0.............................[51 00 00 80 30 00 00 00]

Do the same for VTS_02_1 / PGC Command Table too.
NOTE: From this point, if you intermittently get the message [ WARNING: GetAudioLanguage Failed!], don’t worry about it. Your default audio and subtitle-off has been taken care of in Step 7. You’ll only get this message in IFOedit.

Now, since the DVD is too big, we will have to shrink or transcode it in this case. I used DVD Shrink 2.3 to successfully do this step and below is the settings I have done. Of course, you would have to create a destination folder for each method. I’m not going into details on how to use DVD Shrink but it’s fairly easy to use. Just select VIDEO_TS.IFO when you press your Open Files icon.

DVD Shrink 2.3 Full Disk Settings

Code:
Size Data
DVD                     Compressed     Original

Estimated Total End Size  4,436 MB

Menus               Streams                                 Size

Main Movie

Extras

Go to VTS_05_0.IFO / VTS_PGCITI / VTS_PGC_2 / Cell Playback: / Cell_1: entry point sector:. Double click on this line and change to new entry point sector value.

Cell Playback:
OLD > Cell_1: entry point sector...291
NEW > Cell_1: entry point sector...18392

Details: Now, you’re going to ask how I got 18392? Well, here’s my detective work. When I played the movie in IFOedit, I noticed that it’s started with Chapter 1. If you press your Exit button, you will be given the Titles that were played from DVD insert. I got Title 6. You can also find out about the title number by looking at the Status Field in your IFOedit DVD Play Panel and it should show Title 6 too. If you haven’t figure it out, the main movie resides in VTS_05. Now, if you go to VIDEO_TS.IFO / VMG Overview / Number of Title Play Maps, you can get the associated VTS_PGC_# which is the same as your TTN_# (Titleset Title Number).

Title 5: VTS_05_*, TTN_1 (Angles: 1) (Chapters: 20) (Start Sector 184242)
Title 6: VTS_05_*, TTN_2 (Angles: 1) (Chapters: 17) (Start Sector 184242)

So now you know I had to edit VTS_PGC_2. Since I got this info now, I went to VTS_05_0.IFO / VTS Overview / PGC_2 (program chain) and double-left clicked on [Ch 01] line. Your VOB Preview window will pop up with a “Static” at the top left. I used the slider to get to the point where I need to go and if you look where the “Static” word was, it is now a number. I believe the slider will let you jump to “I” frame pictures, which we need to make the cut clean.

After transcoding, I had certain audio streams stripped out and trailers not kept. We want to clean up the menu so that if we select these buttons, you should still remain at the same menu. The only drawback with doing it with IFOedit is that I can’t disable the stripped out streams buttons in the Setup Menu. Don't worry though because if you selected one that does not exist, the default (Audio: 1. AC3 6-ch English) would play anyway. So in this step, I’m giving you 2 options on disabling/deleting your buttons.
  • If you want to do it the IFOedit way, proceed to step 14a.
  • If you want to do it through MenuEdit 2.1.1 [registered], go to step 15.

Go to your VTS_04_0.IFO / VTSM_PGCI_UT / PGC-Menu_25 / PGC Command Table and right-click on your Pre Command #1. Select “Edit Command” and (LinkPGCN) Link PGC off the pulldown menu. Input PGC Nr 24. PGC-Menu_24 contains your Extras Menu and PGC-Menu_25 is, of course, your Trailers Menu.

OLD > 1.Pre Command...NOP......................[00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00]
NEW > 1.Pre Command...(LinkPGCN) Link PGC 24...[20 04 00 00 00 00 00 18]

Go to VTS_04_0.IFO / VTS_PGCITI / VTS_PGC_1 / PGC Command Table and hexedit your Pre Command #12 to new hex value.

OLD > 12.Pre Command If GPreg<0> == (cmp-val)<3> then (LinkPGN) Link Program 3, [button=0] [20 a6 00 00 00 03 00 03]
NEW > 12.Pre Command If GPreg<0> == (cmp-val)<3> then (LinkPGN) Link Program 5, [button=0] [20 a6 00 00 00 03 00 05]

In this step, I used MenuEdit 2.1.1, which I had registered. This is IMO a great asset to my backup software inventory and it was worth the money. The feature I needed, Jumping to a non deleted button, when deleting a button is only available in the registered version of MenuEdit. Below is the information to which VobIDs and buttons you need to delete since we didn’t keep them.

Go to your transcoded DVD folder and open up VTS_04_0.VOB with MenuEdit. Select CellIDs and press your “Edit” button. After you selected “Jump to non deleted button”, press OK and you will be prompted with a point-of-no-return confirmation. If you don’t feel confident, I would highly recommend you backup your VTS_04_0.* files.

Setup Menu
VobID:11 > CellID: 1 (7 buttons) > Delete buttons 2,3,4 > Jump to non deleted button
VobID:12 > CellID: 1 (7 buttons) > Delete buttons 2,3,4 > Jump to non deleted button

Extras Menu
VobID:19 > CellID: 1 (13 buttons) > Select and delete buttons 5 & 9 > Jump to non deleted button

Last edited by 2COOL; 16th January 2004 at 21:17.
2COOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2003, 08:05   #2  |  Link
oceansky

Thank you, Thank you, 2Cool, You are my Savior.

It's too late to try the guide right now, but surely have to try it tomorrow.

Thanks for your great efforts. With this guide, I can understand how to handle those movie that has 2 pgcs titles and I can backup more for other anime titles. hehe.
q^^p
oceansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2003, 22:00   #3  |  Link
2COOL

@oceansky

You mentioned in your other thread about wanting to do your Title play this way.

Insert DVD > Bandai Logo > Movie > Back to Menu

or

Insert DVD > Bandai Logo > Main Menu > Movie > Back to Menu

Here's your FIX. Do these in place of Step 5 of guide above.

Last edited by 2COOL; 6th August 2003 at 22:32.
2COOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2003, 22:38   #4  |  Link
voo_doo99

@2COOL, nice detailed CheatSheet as usual! . I learned something each time, and thats no lie. Never did see the association of VTS_PGC_# to TTN(Titleset Title Number) before, duh! .

I probably missed the fine point in your Step #8 too: why the need to advance the entry point for Title 6? why not bypass Title 6 altogether? :

Very good of you to include the Menu Button bypass codes!
voo_doo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2003, 23:01   #5  |  Link
2COOL

Quote:
Originally posted by voo_doo99
I probably missed the fine point in your Step #8 too: why the need to advance the entry point for Title 6? why not bypass Title 6 altogether?
After Play button is pressed in Main Menu, Title 6(Main Movie) displays in IFOedit's Status Field and why would I want to bypass the whole movie?

The reason for the setting the entry point sector in Cell 1 (Chapter 1) is because there is about 47 seconds of two logo clips. The first one is the Emotion Logo with the Easter Island theme and the next is the Sunrise Logo. 47 seconds is a loooong time of viewing this more unwanted intros. You can get alot of good IFOedit training doing Anime DVDs. Lots of ways on learning how to bypass unwanted crap.
Old 6th August 2003, 23:31   #6  |  Link
voo_doo99

Quote:
Originally posted by 2COOL
After Play button is pressed in Main Menu, Title 6(Main Movie) displays in IFOedit's Status Field and why would I want to bypass the whole movie?
So you can finish the movie quicker? . Sorry, keep missing the details. Strange authoring this DVD! So after Title 6 played, it continued with Title 5?. Why the 2 sets of chapters in 2 PGCs in 1 titleset?. Very strange.

I did Akira, Spirited Away, Cowboy Bebop; dont think they were setup like that!.
voo_doo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2003, 03:12   #7  |  Link
oceansky

Quote:
Originally posted by voo_doo99
So you can finish the movie quicker? . Sorry, keep missing the details. Strange authoring this DVD! So after Title 6 played, it continued with Title 5?. Why the 2 sets of chapters in 2 PGCs in 1 titleset?. Very strange.

I did Akira, Spirited Away, Cowboy Bebop; dont think they were setup like that!.
Hi, voodoo99, I know it's strange to have two pgc titles in vts_05, which is the main movie. I notice that these two pgc titles are linked to the same movie stream. I don't why the structure like this, but the difference is PGC_1 has two blank cells in the front and one more blank cell in back so has three more chapters than PGC_2. They don't continue each other, I think I need 2cool to explain why is that.
Old 7th August 2003, 03:19   #8  |  Link
oceansky

Thanks, 2Cool. Now, I understand why you jump to Title 6 and the command you used for those three logo clips. Great, Great, now the dvd-shrink can recognize the movie stream. Before, I set the jump to Title 5 and DVD-Shrink didn't recognize it. Also, the dvd still follow the same track, like run the fbi logo, bandai logo, and dolby clips. So, we don't try to change the way. Before, i set after bandai logo run, it will jump to title 5 by changing the command in VIDEO_TS.IFO / VMGM_PGCI_UT / PGC-Menu_11 / PGC Command Table.

Thank you. Just waiting for dvd-shrink finish and edit the unwanted menu button. And that's it. Next will be burning!!!