Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > IFO/VOB Editors

Old 12th February 2003, 20:11   #1  |  Link
2COOL
PGC Navigator in Training

My Big Fat Greek Wedding - R1 Cheat Sheet (Version 3)

UPDATE: 9/5/2003 I have a new revision on the second page. Use that and let me know if it works for you.

Update 3/2/2003: It seems my previous partial guide on this movie did not work fully as planned. I decided to post a FULL working Cheat Sheet to replace it. This has been tested with success in IFOedit, PowerDVD, WinDVD, and my 2 standalones.

My Big Fat Greek Wedding [Region 1] (Disabling Aspect Ratio Selection Menu ) FULL Cheat Sheet
Courtesy of 2CL

Did you know that IFOedit is a Greek Word?

Tool I used:
IFOedit 0.95

Title 1: VTS_01_* is our Widescreen movie
Title 2: VTS_02_* is our Fullscreen movie

WIDESCREEN: Rip all files except VTS_02_*.VOBs.
FULLSCREEN: Rip all files except VTS_01_1.VOB to VTS_01_4.VOB

Note: In my first guide, I stated that you didn’t need to keep VTS_02_.IFO and BUP when you are keeping widescreen. Well I was wrong. After thoroughly following the navigations, it seems that after you press your movie or chapters in your menu, it would navigate to your VTS_02_0.IFO and then make it’s way back to Titleset 1. So you do need it now.

Menu 3: [entry only] (Programs: 3) (Cells: 3) (uses VOB-IDs: 3,1,2) HBO Home Video Logo
Menu 6: [entry only] (Programs: 2) (Cells: 2) (uses VOB-IDs: 4,2)FBI warnings

Translation: Menu Intros are bypassed.

WIDESCREEN: Proceed to next step.
FULLSCREEN: Go to step 13.

8. In VTS_01_0.IFO / VMG Overview / Menu Language Unit, delete playback on the following.

Menu 6: [entry only] (Programs: 1) (Cells: 1) (uses VOB-IDs: 15)

Tranlsation: Disables Aspect Ratio Selection Menu after Play button is pressed.
9. In VTS_01_0.IFO / VTSM_PGCI_UT / PGC-Menu_1 / PGC Command Table, right click on post command #1 and “Insert Command”. Edit your new Post Command #1 as follows.

OLD > 1.Post Command NOP [00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00]
NEW > 1. Post Command Set GPreg<15> mov (set-val)<1> [71 00 00 0f 00 01 00 00 ]

Translation: Movie plays widescreen when aspect ratio selection menu is disabled.
Details: This took care of the menu loops in when you press your Play Movie button or any selection of chapters initially. The problem with my last guide was if you pressed any widescreen or fullscreen in your aspect ratio selection menu, you were to navigate your post commands in PGC-Menu_6. This movie had some many angled menus, I couldn’t find the right menu that I was just on. So I did the next best thing and added the new command in our root menu.
FULLSCREEN

13. In VTS_01_0.IFO / VMG Overview / Menu Language Unit, delete playback on the following.

Menu 6: [entry only] (Programs: 1) (Cells: 1) (uses VOB-IDs: 15)

Tranlsation: Disables Aspect Ratio Selection Menu after Play button is pressed
14. In VTS_01_0.IFO / VTSM_PGCI_UT / PGC-Menu_1 / PGC Command Table, right click on post command #1 and “Insert Command”. Edit your new Post Command #1 as follows.

OLD > 1.Post Command NOP [00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00]
NEW > 1. Post Command Set GPreg<15> mov (set-val)<2> [71 00 00 0f 00 02 00 00 ]

Translation: Movie plays fullscreen only when you selected a chapter first after your aspect ratio selection menu is disabled. If you pressed your Play Movie button, you would still be seeing widescreen. The next 2 steps will correct that.
Details: This took care of the menu loops in when you press your Play Movie button or any selection of chapters initially. The problem with my last guide was if you pressed any widescreen or fullscreen in your aspect ratio selection menu, you were to navigate your post commands in PGC-Menu_6. This movie had some many angled menus, I couldn’t find the right menu that I was just on. So I did the next best thing and added the new command in our root menu.

OLD > 3.Pre Command (JumpSS VTSM) Jump to TitleSet(vts): 1, Title(ttn): 1, root-menu [30 06 00 01 01 83 00 00 ]
NEW > 3.Pre Command (JumpSS VTSM) Jump to TitleSet(vts): 2, Title(ttn): 1, root-menu [30 06 00 01 02 83 00 00 ]

Translation: You will access your fullscreen root menu instead of your widescreen root menu.

OLD > 3.Post Command (JumpTT) Jump to Title: 1 [30 02 00 00 00 01 00 00 ]
NEW > 3.Post Command (JumpTT) Jump to Title: 2 [30 02 00 00 00 02 00 00 ]

Translation: Title 2 is your fullscreen movie so now you have it.

Last edited by 2COOL; 5th September 2003 at 22:55.
2COOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2003, 05:17   #2  |  Link
-y

How?

I would really like to know how you figured out how to make this work.
I have spent several hours working with this ifo with no luck.

Thanks for the solution
Old 14th February 2003, 03:47   #3  |  Link
geffroman

Dear 2cool

I too am doing Greek Wedding... I just want to use IFOEdit to make a movie only version... MY problem is anytime I use this feature my stand alone player will default to the directors commentary sound track... Playback in IFOEdit or WINDVD is normal... but my Mintek usually plays the last sound track on the disk IF the disk is created this way with IFOEdit in movie only mode...

Any ideas...?

By the way... Thanks for the killer info above... I used it... worked perfectly...

I'd still like to understand how to control sound in a movie only compilation... But for this movie your solution was even better...

Thanks again... Jeff

Last edited by geffroman; 14th February 2003 at 04:10.
geffroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2003, 10:01   #4  |  Link
AlainDelon

How do you guys enter new values in 0.95(shows 0.94 on top)?I can rightclick and add a command but if i choose edit i get a change command menu with a drop down list NOP-[Jump_TT]Jump To Title and so on but if i try to enter:Set GPreg<15> mov (set-val)<1> and click ok it doesn't "take".If i double left click i get the hex edit module but i can't enter the numbers properly either manually or by cut & paste.If i try to paste :71 00 00 0f 00 01 00 00 i get:00000000 37 31 20 30 30 20 30 30 00 03 00 71 00 00 and the value shows as 30.So i changed the post command NOP to;(JumpVTS_PTT) Jump to Title(ttn): 1 Chapter(pttn): 1(same as #31 Pre Command).Shouldn't this work also?But my JVC standalone crashes.2COOL can you explain how to enter something not in the drop down list.
Old 14th February 2003, 13:00   #5  |  Link
2COOL

Quote:
Originally posted by AlainDelon
How do you guys enter new values in 0.95(shows 0.94 on top)?I can rightclick and add a command but if i choose edit i get a change command menu with a drop down list NOP-[Jump_TT]Jump To Title and so on but if i try to enter:Set GPreg<15> mov (set-val)<1> and click ok it doesn't "take".If i double left click i get the hex edit module but i can't enter the numbers properly either manually or by cut & paste.

Hi AlainDelon,

IFOedit's commands in drop-down menus are pretty much limited to common intructions but thanks to Derrow for implementing a hexeditor for more complex commands.

Quote:
If i try to paste :71 00 00 0f 00 01 00 00 i get:00000000 37 31 20 30 30 20 30 30 00 03 00 71 00 00 and the value shows as 30.

don't paste. Copying and pasting will get you nowhere.

Quote:
2COOL can you explain how to enter something not in the drop down list.
When you have your HexEdit Module up, click on the first "00" or any "00" to place your cursor. From there you can type in my hex values as mentioned. If you need to move your cursor around in your HexEdit Module, use your keyboard arrow keys. Press OK when you're finish. To confirm if your edit was successfull, click on another PGC-Menu and then click back into your edited one to refresh. Scroll down to the PGC Command Table to check. Repeat if you made a mistake.
Old 22nd February 2003, 06:31   #6  |  Link
KeithXP

2COOL,

This was outstanding. There are many movies that have this option. Can you do this with every movie like that? What should I hunt down and what should I be looking for? The hex value is what throws me. Is this something a novice like myself should try again? I understand what you did. I just don't know how you got there.

Thanks a million,
KeithXP
KeithXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2003, 14:11   #7  |  Link
2COOL

Quote:
Originally posted by KeithXP
There are many movies that have this option. Can you do this with every movie like that?
I wish every movie with a aspect ratio selection menu was using the same dvd structure but alas it is not so. The answer to your question is 99% no. There are rare cases that two movies can be edited the same way as I found that the movies "The Sweetest Thing" and "Joe Dirt" was almost using the same instructions.

Quote:
What should I hunt down and what should I be looking for? The hex value is what throws me.

It's hard to say as every DVD is different when it's authored but there are certain values I commonly look for that I use to help me. One is knowing the title numbers corresponding to each ratio. Two, the value of a certain GPreg that toggles to reflect each ratio. You can either find this out by viewing your GPregs or using Vobedit for get your button commands in your menu. And three, finding which PGC is associated with your aspect ratio menu in order to study the commands. Hopefully when you get experience on learning the hex values and how the commands flow, it'll be easier to work on the next DVD that comes along.

Quote:
Is this something a novice like myself should try again? I understand what you did.
Understanding is a very important step. Success may not come over night. Learn from others and learn from your mistakes also. The answers may already be there in the forums for you to find. Sooner or later, you'll learn to know what to do and what not to do.

Last edited by 2COOL; 24th February 2003 at 09:59.
Old 23rd February 2003, 01:50   #8  |  Link
KeithXP

Thanks 2COOL! I'll defiitely keep reading and trying.

KeithXP
KeithXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2003, 20:25   #9  |  Link
billsbox

Authoring Question ?

2Cool,

I edited the IFO with the appropriate hex code for Full Screen but Step 4 has me confused. After entering the code it shows as "1. Post Command Set 00" in the description not "NEW > 1.Post Command Set GPreg<15> mov (set-val)<2>" and when I went to burn the DVD with Image Tools 0.99.9 it gave an error dialog box because there were no VTS_01_x.VOB's. The message was the standard warning that I might burn a coaster.

First, should I see the GPreg<15> mov (set-val)<2> in Ifoedit?
Second, should I burn the DVD anyway?

Thanks,
Bill
billsbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2003, 21:03   #10  |  Link
2COOL

Re: Authoring Question ?

Quote:
Originally posted by billsbox
2Cool,

I edited the IFO with the appropriate hex code for Full Screen but Step 4 has me confused. After entering the code it shows as "1. Post Command Set 00" in the description not "NEW > 1.Post Command Set GPreg<15> mov (set-val)<2>" and when I went to burn the DVD with Image Tools 0.99.9 it gave an error dialog box because there were no VTS_01_x.VOB's. The message was the standard warning that I might burn a coaster.

First, should I see the GPreg<15> mov (set-val)<2> in Ifoedit?
Second, should I burn the DVD anyway?

Thanks,
Bill
First of all, I hope you are using region 1 as I haven't confirmed if the values of GPreg<15> is the same for other regions. The method I've given can still be done if the correct values are inputted. One way to find out is in VOBedit. With that said and you do have region 1, then it should work.

You need to edit your NOP command that you created with this new hex value. Refresh to check. Though I haven't burnt the fullscreen as I really prefer wide, I tested both aspect ratio versions with success.

My instruction sounded clear to me. You insert a NOP command. You edit that NOP command. Hence, it is considered OLD when you edit it as [71 00 00 0f 00 02 00 00 ].

Last edited by 2COOL; 24th February 2003 at 21:11.
Old 27th February 2003, 11:01   #11  |  Link
AlainDelon

2COOL,I now know how to hexedit properly and edited the ifo correctly as per your instructions.However it does not work on my JVC XV 511BK player(it works fine with most other ifo-edited projects).The player behaves the same way as when a selected titleset is absent and freezes.Even when trying from the scene-selection menu it freezes.The dvd works fine in the PC and on both my Apex players.Any idea why this happens?
Old 27th February 2003, 13:05   #12  |  Link
2COOL

Quote:
Originally posted by AlainDelon
The player behaves the same way as when a selected titleset is absent and freezes.Even when trying from the scene-selection menu it freezes.
Hmmm...I think that if you feel you get this error, you should have also experienced it on your Apex players, even though they can pretty much play anything.

Did you do any other edits besides the ones I had in the guide? I didn't do a full cheat sheet so I'm just inquiring if you did.
Old 28th February 2003, 11:02   #13  |  Link
AlainDelon

The Apex players are VERY forgiving,they play even butchered projects i have made when learning dvd authoring.I did not do any other edits except replacing the warningscreen(i did not find a way in the VIDEO_TS IFO to delete playback so i demuxed the VIDEO_TS.VOB and replaced the warning with a same size black only vob file and remuxed).This occurs before the main menu anyway.There must be some glitch because i gave a copy to a friend who has a SONY DVP-NS 300 and a Toshiba SD2710 and the same thing happens on both machines.I can get the main movie to play on the JVC & SONY by pressing the menu or title buttons but you can't use the chapterselection menu.
Old 28th February 2003, 14:11   #14  |  Link
billsbox

2Cool

Quote:
The method I've given can still be done if the correct values are inputted. One way to find out is in VOBedit.
I have VOBedit, how do I find out?

Could you e-mail the IFO?

Thanks.
Old 2nd March 2003, 19:00   #15  |  Link
baddbill

Great cheat sheet 2COOL. Very helpful as usual. Thanks for the insight.

Bill
baddbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2003, 04:34   #16  |  Link
2COOL

FULL CHEAT SHEET - 3/2/2003

My Big Fat Greek Wedding-Disable Aspect Ratio Guide has been upgraded to a FULL Cheat Sheet. Check out my first post of this thread on details.
Old 5th March 2003, 14:08   #17  |  Link
billsbox

Thanks 2Cool!

I personally appreciate you sharing your own hard work here. Hope I'm not bugging you too much but another question came up after I edited the IFO's last night for MBFGW. I use Image Tools 0.99.9 to burn the files to a DVD-R, when I went to burn MBFGW it had an error message that stated required files were missing.

I'm doing the fullscreen version - is the error because I have no VTS_01_*.VOB files?

The files play fine in IfoEdit. Should I mount an image an see if that plays too, or just cross my fingers and burn it anyway?

Thanks, Bill
Old 5th March 2003, 23:04   #18  |  Link
2COOL

@billsbox

For further confidence before burning, try viewing it PowerDVD or WinDVD, whichever you have on your computer. If everything plays fine, then if it was for me, I would go ahead and burn it.

I leave the burning part out in my cheat sheets now as everyone has their working method of getting their movie to play on their standalone. My method was burning it with Imgtools 0.99.9 with reallocation unchecked and using Nero 5.5.10.15 API.

Note: For fullscreen, you should only have VTS_01_0.* files. The rest is your widescreen title movie.
Old 6th March 2003, 13:10   #19  |  Link
billsbox

Thanks 2Cool I use the same ImageTools and Nero combination.
Old 27th March 2003, 21:08   #20  |  Link
Allistah

2Cool..

I tried your guide for My Big Fat Greek Wedding about 4 times this morning and I couldn't get it to keep the WS version. When I would click play it would just loop back to the main menu. I looked at each step, word for word, and I just couldn't get it to work. I've done a number of your other guides and they've all worked fine (thanks for that!). I've taken some screenshots of what I've done in relation to your guide for this movie. Could you take a look and let me know if you see anything wrong? The filenames match the steps in your guide. The pics are here: http://www.pirnie.org/jaime/pics/greek

Thanks for any information you might have.
Allistah is offline   Reply With Quote