Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 AVC / H.264

Old 19th January 2010, 23:15   #81  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Quote:
Another thing to watch out with the PSP is that it doesn't support CAVLC, IIRC, just CABAC.

No B-pyramid either, also IIRC.
PSP supports CAVLC! You have to use level 2.1 instead of 3.0
Atak_Snajpera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2010, 10:01   #82  |  Link
zinga

The old x264 b-pyramid was "supported" by the PSP, except it didn't exactly decode correctly. Actually, the video would mostly be quite watchable, just some block-like artefacts (not blocking) would show up now and then.
Unsure about the new b-pyramid, but from memory, it would increase the ref count so I had some issues. Can't test this now though.
zinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2010, 18:20   #83  |  Link
lovenithin08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtnoise View Post
Ok,

This thread is a new start to sum up all informations about devices settings for x264. If you have some extra infos, please share them. Hence, we can have a better spot and optimize our presets...

Spreadsheet is available here. Not complete yet. I'll update as soon as I can.

Comments & discussion are welcome.

could u please update the spreadsheet for 5800. it could be helpful!
lovenithin08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2010, 08:00   #84  |  Link
Kurtnoise
Swallowed in the Sea

Do you have extra infos for it ?

btw, this spreadsheet shouldn't be used soon...
Kurtnoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2010, 15:06   #85  |  Link
desta

Sorry to bump an older thread, but I wondered if anyone might know the capabilities (official/unofficial) for Android 2.1. I've just got a HTC Desire and am looking to put some video on it, but wasn't sure what encoding settings to start with as a reference point. I've seen a few people say to use the standard iphone settings (baseline, level 3, vbv buf/max 10000, etc), but knowing the iphone can handle high profile, level 4.1 leads me to believe the htc desire can fairly comfortably achieve the same?!
desta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2010, 01:41   #86  |  Link
Chengbin

Quote:
Originally Posted by desta View Post
Sorry to bump an older thread, but I wondered if anyone might know the capabilities (official/unofficial) for Android 2.1. I've just got a HTC Desire and am looking to put some video on it, but wasn't sure what encoding settings to start with as a reference point. I've seen a few people say to use the standard iphone settings (baseline, level 3, vbv buf/max 10000, etc), but knowing the iphone can handle high profile, level 4.1 leads me to believe the htc desire can fairly comfortably achieve the same?!
No. Android has terrible video support. The hardware may be capable of it, but the Android system doesn't have the hardware accelerated decoding code for it.
Chengbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2010, 22:52   #87  |  Link
desta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chengbin View Post
No. Android has terrible video support. The hardware may be capable of it, but the Android system doesn't have the hardware accelerated decoding code for it.
Ah ok, thanks for the info.

Shortly after my last post I did actually try some higher settings, but most of them were a non-starter. Anything higher than baseline just wouldn't play. Anything higher than level 3 would play, but in a garbled mess. I can actually get some nice looking video with baseline level 3 ("nice" considering it's displayed on a small screen), but I lose a hell of a lot of compression without bframes. :/

Ah well... maybe if/when coreplayer for Android arrives it'll help with higher support. It helped me play video on my old N95 that the inbuilt media player couldn't handle. Then again, there's supposedly going to be an update for android that will enable divx hd playback.

Last edited by desta; 20th May 2010 at 22:56.
desta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2010, 16:08   #88  |  Link
FBX

Just posting this here to add my own experiences in encoding for PS3 playback. I used the PS3 preset in MeGUI 0.3.5.0 and encountered strange problems with the videos starting properly on both the PS3 and WMP. The videos would start with a blank screen for the first ten seconds while the sound was playing on the PS3, whereas the videos would play sped-up with no sound during the first few seconds on WMP. After much trial and error work, I found the issue was with the B-frame and I-Frame settings. For completely stable playback on both PS3 and WMP, I found turning B-frames off (set to zero) and setting Extra I-frames to 100 fixed all problems I was having. This is not to say they must be set this way for any PS3 playback, it's rather just a "safe-mode" I found that avoids issues entirely.
FBX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2010, 09:22   #89  |  Link
nurbs

It should also be noted that in the discussion in the MeGUI preset thread FBX was the only one experiencing such problems. No one else reported problems with b-frames and WMP, in fact when I read that I encoded a file to test it and it was fine, and for me and others there is no problem with the default settings of x264 with regard to PS3 compatibility.
nurbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2010, 20:07   #90  |  Link
jacksback

Hi everyone.

I recently bought an Android Touchpad and was wondering what encoding settings I should use for my HD movies? The pad apparently supports full hd 1080p mkv playback

Here are the specs

CPU: ARM A8
FSB: 1G MHz
Memory: DDR 256MB  
LCD TFT display: 10.2”
Resolution: 1024×600

Thanks
jacksback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2010, 20:15   #91  |  Link
nurbs

What does the manual say about level support? 1080p means level 4.1 or 4.0 which are largely identical except the latter has tighter VBV constraints. If you know the level it supports just use the presets and tunings in x264 and uses the --level and appropriate VBV settings to ensure it works.
If you want to play it safe downsize to 720p and maybe keep within level 3.1. In my experience most HD sources don't really have much detail beyond that resolution, you mostly get more noise/grain. Furthermore high bitrates could be problematic for an ARM if the whole thing doesn't have a fast DSP or an ASIC for the decoding. Since you save space and don't really lose much I'd give it a try.

I'd also be interested in taking a look at the touchpad. Could you post a link or the product and company name?

Last edited by nurbs; 2nd August 2010 at 20:20.
nurbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2010, 20:15   #92  |  Link
stax76

Maybe best to use 1024 as width, more seem to be a waste of disc space and encoding time unless you also want to play it somewhere with bigger screen.
stax76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2010, 20:19   #93  |  Link
jacksback

Sorry, should have said "I've ordered one" because don't have it yet or the manual. I'll have a read when I get it in about 2 weeks time.

Going to encode a test movie using the ipad profile and will set the resolution the match the screen res of the Android pad.

Thanks for your replies
Old 2nd August 2010, 20:25   #94  |  Link
jacksback

Here's a link to the same one I bought on Ebay

The seller I bought mine from - got it for 215 pounds all inclusive
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/10-2-Android-2...item3caf9a2522

Some better pics
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-10-2-INCH-...item45f43ca4c5

Last edited by jacksback; 2nd August 2010 at 20:28.
Old 3rd August 2010, 14:33   #95  |  Link
Chengbin

I'll be VERY surprised if a non Archos Android device can play one 720p format, let alone a hoard of 1080p formats.

But on topic, why don't you try it out? There won't be information about the settings supported on the internet or the manual. Guess and check is my choice.

Start by checking if it supports high profile. If it doesn't, check if main profile is supported, if not, try baseline. If it does, check if it supports 720p. If it plays 720p smoothly, try 1080p, the check bitrate, etc.
Chengbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2010, 14:47   #96  |  Link
jacksback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chengbin View Post
I'll be VERY surprised if a non Archos Android device can play one 720p format, let alone a hoard of 1080p formats.

But on topic, why don't you try it out? There won't be information about the settings supported on the internet or the manual. Guess and check is my choice.

Start by checking if it supports high profile. If it doesn't, check if main profile is supported, if not, try baseline. If it does, check if it supports 720p. If it plays 720p smoothly, try 1080p, the check bitrate, etc.
I encoded three movies last night using the iPad profile, chose 2 channel aac audio and a custom resolution of 1024 x 600. I encoded using CQ22 and had an average bitrate of 1700kbps. I'll test these three out first and will move onto the higher profile when I get the device. I guess it will just be trial and error to start. I'll even try playing a full hd encode to see if it does what it says on the tin
Old 13th August 2010, 05:14   #97  |  Link
Tengato

Missing a PSP setting?

Hi, I'm having the hardest time trying to encode video for my PSP (model 3000, firmware v6.31).
Here is my process, starting from a .VOB file:

dgindex.exe -AIF=[C:\MyVideo\VTS_01_1.VOB] -OF=[C:\MyVideo\VTS_01_1] -FO=0 -EXIT -HIDE -OM=2

AviSynth:

LoadPlugin("C:\MeGUI\tools\dgindex\DGDecode.dll")
DGDecode_mpeg2source("C:\MyVideo\VTS_01_1.d2v")
LanczosResize(480, 272)

x264:
x264.exe --profile main --level 3 --crf 21 --partitions p8x8,b8x8,i4x4 --no-8x8dct --ref 3 --output "C:\MyVideo\VTS_01_1.264" "C:\MyVideo\VTS_01_1.avs"

For audio I use MeGUI and Nero AAC to encode the .ac3 file, downmixing to Stereo.

MP4Box:
mp4box.exe -add "C:\MyVideo\VTS_01_1.264:fps=23.976" -add "C:\MyVideo\VTS_01_1 T80 3_2ch 448Kbps DELAY 0ms.mp4" -psp -tmp "C:\MyVideo" -new "C:\MyVideo\VTS_01_1-muxed.mp4"

The resulting MP4 plays fine in Zune Software and Quicktime Player, but when I put it on my PSP and try to play it it shows one or two frames of black and then displays the message "The video cannot be played." I've tried letting x264 create the file and then just having MP4Box add the audio, but the result is the same. I figure I must be missing a parameter somewhere that's necessary for PSP compatibility?

Thanks,
-Pat
Tengato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2010, 12:30   #98  |  Link
Rumbah

Try adding --b-pyramid none to your command line and it should work.
Rumbah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2010, 13:06   #99  |  Link
Wishbringer
Silent Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengato View Post
x264:
x264.exe --profile main --level 3 --crf 21 --partitions p8x8,b8x8,i4x4 --no-8x8dct --ref 3 --output "C:\MyVideo\VTS_01_1.264" "C:\MyVideo\VTS_01_1.avs"
I use "--aud --b-pyramid none" too
Wishbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2010, 05:03   #100  |  Link
virtualdub

ok .maybe the same prob here http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=156110
try to use old 1649 build x264 to encoding clips, never using the newest build until we get clear solution from GPAC.
Check your x264 build version first.