Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > New and alternative video codecs

Old 6th August 2007, 19:26   #1781  |  Link
foxyshadis
Angel of Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiblitz View Post
I understand that this thread is about encoding, but one quick question to the avisynth-professionals here: Currently I cant's use ffdshow for playback of hd-dvd as it does not get the 24fps-speed right, works only with 30fps, so video and audio are heavily out of sync. Is there a way to use avisynth to force ffdshow to play it with the right speed ? Would be great as I like to us some postprosseing even with hd-dvd...
This would be a better place to ask such a question. You can always try prefacing your avisynth script with AssumeFPS(24) or 23.976.
foxyshadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2007, 21:21   #1782  |  Link
HeadBangeR77

Subtitles letterboxing works without problems here (have checked the same films that had used to cause problems). I like the new blurring function of subs, works flawlessly in YUY2 also, not only RGB.
Thanks a bunch for all the improvements (rev. 1406 by clsid).
Old 6th August 2007, 21:46   #1783  |  Link
Keepitsimple

I just wanted to say that you coders do an amazing job. Keep it up!
Keepitsimple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2007, 22:03   #1784  |  Link
Leak
ffdshow/AviSynth wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiblitz View Post
I understand that this thread is about encoding[...]
Errr.. what gave you that idea?

Just saying...

Also, I'm afraid AssumeFPS won't work as the AviSynth filter takes it's timestamps from the input frames and basically ignores any FPS change in the script - you'd have to remove or add frames to actually change the FPS, but that still won't fix your problem, as the overall length stays the same.

I know the old AviSynth filter allowed changing the speed with AssumeFPS, but it simply scaled the timestamps, so if you changed the script in the middle of playback you'd get one long pause (or the decoder running at full tilt and no frames) because there'd either be a big gaping hole in the timestamps, or suddenly the timestamps would be before the previous ones.

And, of course, it didn't allow changing the FPS while keeping the length the same, as is needed for bobbing or IVTCing. That's why I went with simply interpolating between the existing timestamps where needed, which makes sure audio and video stay in sync - in normal cases, of course.

I do think it'd make more sense to fix the VC1 decoder, but that's a bit out of my league...

np: Retina.IT - Tetsub (Semeion)
Old 10th August 2007, 09:36   #1785  |  Link
haruhiko_yamagata

Quote:
Originally Posted by hege View Post
Hi, a small (but important) feature request..

I have widescreen plasma tv with 1024x768 resolution (4:3 pixels), and I like to resize everything to exactly that.

Could you add a simple "display aspect ratio" setting? Like MPC has "Scale to 16:9 TV" etc. I'd much rather do it in ffdshow than having unnecessary resize with display adapter.

It does work manually now by setting "Aspect ratio: Manual: 1.33:1". But if I watch a ~21:9 movie, I have to change it to 1.77:1. It would be much easier to just "Keep original aspect ratio" and "Display aspect ratio: 1.33".

Thanks.
Added at rev 1413 as an option of "Process aspect ratio internally".
Old 10th August 2007, 09:44   #1786  |  Link
jodur

ffdshow Subtitles not Working with Vista,CoreAVC and WMP11

Thank you for this nice program, i use ffdshow already a long time with success.
I now recently own a media center with Vista Home Premium (32 bits).
When I want to playback 1080p HD movies with ffdshow (libavodec) the playback is jerky (Not enough CPU power? Core 2 Duo T5500, NVIDEA G7600), so I decided to use CoreAVC instead of libavodec for HD playback. The playback is now very smooth even with 1080p.
The drawback is however, that ffdshow isn’t showing any subtitles any more. I enabled raw video, so ffdshow is inserted in the graph. When I look in grapedit, I see that Coreavc is used for video decoding and ffdshow is used for displaying subtitles. Playing the file in graphedit also results in a video with subtitles. (so far so good!)

However!!:
Playing the same video file in WMP11 in Vista results in a video, without subtitles!
Playing the same video on my XP machine with WMP11 and the same decoder settings (same graph) results in a video with subtitles.

Conclusion:
It looks like the raw video filter doesn’t work in Vista in conjunction with WMP11 (in grapedit in vista the raw video works, so proper ably in a other player (NON WMP11) it will work also)
WMP11 is a must have for me, because it’s the native player of the MCE shell.

Question:
Is there a change this will be fixed in a newer build from ffdshow. I can’t imagine that I am the the only non native “English speaker” who is having this problem with Vista, CoreAVC and ffdshow subtitles. I remember I saw in some earlier postings in this forum, that people reporting also problems with the raw video in conjunction with the dscaler filter in Vista.

Alternative?:
As alternative I played around with VS-filter (only V2.23 is working well for all formats (DivX,H264 etc.)) for displaying subtitles. But in this case with some video’s the display ratio / (Width/Height) is fucked up by VS-filter. So this isn’t really a alternative.

Does anybody have any clues for this problem??

Last edited by jodur; 10th August 2007 at 09:49.
jodur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2007, 11:10   #1787  |  Link
haruhiko_yamagata

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodur View Post
It looks like the raw video filter doesn’t work in Vista in conjunction with WMP11
Thank you for the details.
Yes, I know it does not work.
I'll look into it when I have time, but if WMP11 is excluding ffdshow on purpose, it may be difficult to find the way.
Old 10th August 2007, 22:21   #1788  |  Link
Yong

OSD bug?

1).operating system = windows xp sp2 home @ celeron 1.2ghz
2).ffdshow r1413 msvc 2003 x86 ansi build
3).ffdshow settings and used filters = queue, resize, subtitles, osd
4).media player = mpc hc 1090
5).output colorspaces = yuy2
6).Haali Media Splitter
7).video renderers = vmr9 windowed
8).video/audio samples = playing any video also show the same problem
9).the osd is showing inconsistent font weight. resize, change some options at osd font will solve the problem.

here is my osd settings:

screenshot:
http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/2...board01ca2.jpg

2. overlay resize bug
resize mess up output when use overlay mixer.
all settings are same as above, except colorspace is yv12,
resize filer settings are default, except the "multiply by:" field, when the value is 0.1 to 0.9, and 1.1 to 1.9, the output will mess up. sorry cant test above 3

3. h264 grayscale decoding is broken
its ancient bug...
ffdshow h264 grayscale decoding show greenish color instead of grayscale.

Last edited by Yong; 11th August 2007 at 15:43.
Yong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2007, 14:16   #1789  |  Link
Mc Onyx

I'm not sure this was answered before, so i apologize if it was.
The thing is that i'm using Vista and FFDshow audio decoder won't kick in . When i play a movie with MP3 soundtrack, Microsoft's MP3 Audio Decoder DMO takes the decoding, if it's AC3 or DTS some other filter kick's in. But if i enable PCM decoding in AC3 Filter, then FFDShow Audio decoder takes the decoding, but that's not what i want, don't want AC3 Filter postprocessing the stream. There's no problem with the FFDShow Video Decoder! And i checked the merits and have set FFDShow Audio Dec. to highest. Thanks.

:EDIT: Forget it, just figured it out, i had Don't use WAVEFORMATEXTENSIBLE ticked under the output and for some reason that was the culprit!

Last edited by Mc Onyx; 11th August 2007 at 20:50.
Mc Onyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2007, 17:38   #1790  |  Link
vlada

I found a possible bug in AviSynth frameserving (AVIS codec).

I'll describe first what I wanted to do: I have a video from Panasonic AVCHD camcorder. It is 1080i PAFF so any libavcodec based tool instantly crashes with it. I wanted to open this file in SONY Vegas. But it is High Profile video and since Vegas supports h.264 through QuickTime, it won't open it. So my last possibility is CoreAVC and frameservering.

The video plays fine using Haali's splitter, CoreAVC for video and ffdshow for audio (AC3), except that the first frame is broken (but this is a minor issue). VD has no problems opening the video through AviSynth with DirectShowSource. Unfortunately Vegas doesn't support AVS. So I used MakeAVIS tool from ffdshow and create a "fake" AVI. Unfortunately this AVI can't be opened in Vegas and instantly crashes VirtualDub. I aslo tried another movie (AVI). With DirectShowSource the result was the same, with AviSource VD didn't crash but displays an error message: VideoSourceAVI Error: The operation is not supported (error code -1) in status bar and shows no video. The fake AVIs play fine through DirectShow, are just vertically flipped. So I believe the problem is somewhere in VfW AVIS codec. I tried ffdshow beta2, beta3 and build 1413 with the same results.

Btw. I use AviSynth 2.58. I'll try it with 2.57 too.

Could someone confirm this or even better fix it?

Edit: Same situation with Avisynth 2.57. Except the "fake" AVI movie isn't upside down when playing through DirectShow.

Last edited by vlada; 12th August 2007 at 00:59.
vlada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2007, 13:12   #1791  |  Link
haruhiko_yamagata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yong View Post
9).the osd is showing inconsistent font weight. resize, change some options at osd font will solve the problem.
Thank you. I've just returned from a small trip.
I can reproduce and will try to fix it.
Quote:
2. overlay resize bug
3. h264 grayscale decoding is broken
I'll test tomorrow.
Old 12th August 2007, 14:02   #1792  |  Link
Leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlada View Post
The video plays fine using Haali's splitter, CoreAVC for video and ffdshow for audio (AC3), except that the first frame is broken (but this is a minor issue). VD has no problems opening the video through AviSynth with DirectShowSource. Unfortunately Vegas doesn't support AVS. So I used MakeAVIS tool from ffdshow and create a "fake" AVI. Unfortunately this AVI can't be opened in Vegas and instantly crashes VirtualDub. I aslo tried another movie (AVI). With DirectShowSource the result was the same, with AviSource VD didn't crash but displays an error message: VideoSourceAVI Error: The operation is not supported (error code -1) in status bar and shows no video. The fake AVIs play fine through DirectShow, are just vertically flipped. So I believe the problem is somewhere in VfW AVIS codec. I tried ffdshow beta2, beta3 and build 1413 with the same results.
That's strange.

I'm afraid I don't have CoreAVC (nor do I have any use for it and thus no intention of buying it) and therefore can't try this here - could you perhaps check if the same error also happens in conjunction with some other codec?

np: Fennesz / Sakamoto - Abyss (Cendre)
Old 12th August 2007, 15:30   #1793  |  Link
DeepBeepMeep

As far I can tell, there are still some incompatibility with EVO files parsed by Haali filter and ffdshow VC1 video decoder. The Audio and Video get out of sync.

Haali in this post (http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...87#post1007787) had fixed some stuff on his part and normally the rff flag should be now forwarded to the next filter in the chain. It seems the last thing to do is to handle this flag.

Some samples EVO files had been posted in the past. Even needed, I can post another one.

It would be greatly appreciated if this bug could be fixed it would save plenty of people to remux EVO file to a matroska file to have proper playback. Thanks.
DeepBeepMeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2007, 22:37   #1794  |  Link
multiblitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepBeepMeep View Post
As far I can tell, there are still some incompatibility with EVO files parsed by Haali filter and ffdshow VC1 video decoder. The Audio and Video get out of sync.

Haali in this post (http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...87#post1007787) had fixed some stuff on his part and normally the rff flag should be now forwarded to the next filter in the chain. It seems the last thing to do is to handle this flag.

Some samples EVO files had been posted in the past. Even needed, I can post another one.

It would be greatly appreciated if this bug could be fixed it would save plenty of people to remux EVO file to a matroska file to have proper playback. Thanks.
Thanks for bringing this up again...I am as well hoping to get a fix on that...I guess the demand for a beautiful VC-1 playback is raising as the new HD-formats become more popular and even now blu-ray is using it...so, pleeeease.
multiblitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2007, 00:14   #1795  |  Link
vlada

Leak
Sorry, I wasn't clear enough. The other file I tried was AVI/MPEG-4 ASP decoded by ffdshow. So I think the problem is general and will probably happen with any format/codecs.
vlada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2007, 00:23   #1796  |  Link
Leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlada View Post
Leak
Sorry, I wasn't clear enough. The other file I tried was AVI/MPEG-4 ASP decoded by ffdshow. So I think the problem is general and will probably happen with any format/codecs.
Okay, that's something I have to take a look at, then...

np: Fennesz - Surf (Field Recordings 1995:2002)
Old 13th August 2007, 06:48   #1797  |  Link
bugblatter

mpeg1 hangs at end of playback

Hi, I just recently started seeing a problem in ffdshow I had never seen before when playing mpeg1 videos. It seems to play fine, but when the video reaches the end, the player (media player classic) hangs and the CPU% shoots up to 100% until I manually kill the process. It seems obvious, but I haven't found any other mention of it in this thread, and I can't find any other reason for it either.

It seems ffdshow_rev1390_20070731_xxl.exe was that last one that worked before the problem started. The only thing in the changelog was "updated libavcodec". I retried several subsequent builds up to ffdshow-rev1413_20070809_xxl.exe with no success. Going back to rev1390 was successful.

It fails with MPEG1 set to "libavcodec", but succeeds with "libmpeg2" or "disabled". I just have it set for libmpeg2 now so it's no problem, but I thought I would mention it.

As for a sample, the first hit on google for "mpeg1 sample" works: http://www.kvcd.net/portal/articles.php?lng=en&pg=60 and click on "704x480-showoff.mpg"

Btw, I'm new here and just wanted to say thanks for all the great work on this project.
bugblatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2007, 10:44   #1798  |  Link
haruhiko_yamagata

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepBeepMeep View Post

Quote:
03/06/2007
New Features:
Added support for more audio formats in quicktime files.
Added support for zlib compressed headers in quicktime files.
Subtitle streams are now shown by shell extension.
Added a preview tab and range selection to GDSMux.
Added A/V encoding support to GDSMux.
Added hardsubbing support to GDSMux.
Added minimal editing support to GDSMux.
Added support for loading cuesheets and HD-DVD xml chapter files in GDSMux chapter editor.
Added support for more video and audio formats to the muxer.
Fixed items:
Fixed a regression in PS timestamps calculation.
Fixed GetCurrentImage in the renderer so it behaves correctly when called indirectly via FGM.
Fixed some minor bugs in GDSMux chapter editor.
Fixed next/prev segment IDs generation and reading in GDSMux.
Other improvements and bugfixes.
Unfortunately 03/06/2007 version does not seem to have the fix. I think we have to wait for the coming release.
Old 13th August 2007, 11:52   #1799  |  Link
DeepBeepMeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by haruhiko_yamagata View Post
Unfortunately 03/06/2007 version does not seem to have the fix. I think we have to wait for the coming release.
Thanks for looking at the issue. Haali post I have quoted dates one week before the the last release, so it is possible the last release included the fix but was not mentioned in the change log. An easy way to check would be to see if the rff flag is there. Or hopefully Haali can inform us about the status of this fix, he seems to be around these days...
DeepBeepMeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2007, 14:54   #1800  |  Link
bluesk1d
Uber n00b

Weird color shifting in H.264 decoding

I will just ask this briefly as I don't want to get too involved with it and start posting samples if it is already a known issue/resolution. I backed up my first AVC HD DVD the other day (all before have been VC-1) and while decoding with ffdshow beta (1324), there was strange green, magenta, red color shifting. It was restricted to specific shots in random scenes almost as if there was something in the actual image characteristics of the shot that triggered it.

My decode went through the following steps

Graph edit:
Haali media splitter (Ripped HD DVD evo file containing the feature h.264 stream) > ffdshow video decoder > AVI splitter (not sure why but graphedit added this on its own and wouldnt render without it)

The graph is then referenced by an AVS using DirectShowSource

Simply playing the disc reveals that this problem is not in the source. I had this same issue before with a MKV that had an H.264 stream and I don't recall what I did to fix it. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Is there an issue with decoding directly from within the evo container?
bluesk1d is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ffdshow, ffdshow tryouts, ffdshow-mt, ffplay, icl