Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Linux, Mac OS X, & Co
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 1st August 2005, 23:45   #1  |  Link
six6
"HTML is not allowed"

Script to get newest MPlayer, XviD, and x264 from cvs/svn

Hi all:

Currently, this is experimental. Use at your own risk.

I wrote a small shell script that should work on all linux systems that downloads, builds, and installs MPlayer (and all binary codecs), x264, and XviD from cvs or subversion (depending on what that software's repository is). You also have the option to install the stable MPlayer instead of cvs. On debian based systems it also downloads the dependencies needed for compilation, but on other systems you must manually get the software it needs (run the script to see what software you might need).

It's included with bitterbpp to help those that need to get these softwares to operate bitterbpp, but also works well if you just want the latest mentioned stuff.

Anyway, here it is:

download: bitterbpp-refresh (updated Feb 5 2006)
read on-line: bitterbpp-refresh.txt

Directions:
1. If you implicitly trust me, run the script as root . If you are uncomfortable running a script from the internet (you should be!), read it to see what it does. If you can't read bash/perl scripts, well hmm, I guess you'll have to trust me if you want to run it .
2. The first time through, don't "run quietly" if you want to see what's going on!

That's all! Anytime you want to update to the latest stuff, you can just rerun the script.

I'd appreciate if people give suggestions, etc!

Edit: If the MPlayer CVS gives you funny problems (doesn't download, aborts the login, etc), re-run the script using MPlayer stable. If you want to get the CVS, try again in a few hours (or days...) and hopefully the MPlayer devs will have the CVS fixed by then

Last edited by six6; 5th February 2006 at 20:33.
six6 is offline   Reply With Quote