Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Announcements and Chat > General Discussion

Old 13th July 2006, 20:27   #301  |  Link
laserfan
Aging Video Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by lantern
My Philips DVP642 won't play them.
My Pinnacle ShowCenters MOSTLY work with them, but I found that VBR audio could be a factor in glitchy playback. I will not touch VBR MP3s anymore myself.
laserfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2006, 21:23   #302  |  Link
jjwerrett

Best settings still

well found the CBR best to use for MP3 i cant say i tried the OGM container way with .ogg audio hmmm might give that a go as i got a TVIX box which store my films on at the moment which got 400GB hard drive but i never tried OGM film on it think i will try a sample. but as every film i do is set to 2GB file size would anyone recommend any tweaks or that as noticed got option for codec settings for xvid which i leave alone as boy i get lost on it, as you can see this program perfect for me just cause i dont have change this or this just press and go and sleep and wake up and ahh haa it done.

has anyone actually got the old fairuse though which had divx 3.11 with it i just want try it sounds stupid but it just bit fun end day, i would like the cross cutting put on a test maybe Druid could do it as he seems good programmer but i just want see it may take the extra hrs but at the cost of higher output it means it be the only program to be able give the highest quality using various encodes of high or low motion in scenes which what i liked bout it.

Well hope someone can upload the old version be great and thank you for few who helped bout the audio all left is the video resoutions and if to use the internal or external codecs which for me is the lastest XVID install.

hope this helps other newbies like myself for using this awsome program

Last edited by jjwerrett; 13th July 2006 at 21:27.
jjwerrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2006, 04:34   #303  |  Link
foxyshadis
ангел смерти

The best thing you could probably do with xvid at that size is to give it a custom matrix, such as 6of9 or EQM HR. Searching for "matrix" should bring them up.

Instead of ogm, you should try mkv instead (with vorbis or aac audio), and let ogm die peacefully, it's not a terribly useful format.
foxyshadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2006, 18:19   #304  |  Link
jjwerrett

Right okay first thin i dont know anything bout Matrix or EQM etc!! so need help there as i dont know what to do i know how to load a custom matrix or save it but that it lol. what you mean by mkv as how can i go by doing aac as i was just gona put it to ogg which i though was ogm container. is there alot diffrence in ogm and mkv container. So far this help is awsome so thank you to everyone and really hope this helping anybody like me
Old 15th July 2006, 05:11   #305  |  Link
celtic_druid

FU only does aac for the iPod mode, which means mp4 (also SP video). I could modify it to do aac for mkv. Probably dump VDubMod for mkvmerge for mkv output to. Could do the same for ogm; using say OGMuxer. Then I guess use AVI-Mux GUI for avi output and get rid of VDubMod altogether.

Plenty of stuff that could be done with FU. Probably getting rid of VfW encoding would be the first step though. (xvidencraw, x264 cli, etc.).

mkv will give you lower overhead. Can handle vorbis audio, as well as subs and chapters. So basically everything that ogm could do, accept mkv is still being developed.
celtic_druid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2006, 23:33   #306  |  Link
jjwerrett

woohoo

well druid i dont mind if you want to try do that if you got spare time but i deff up for the ogg audio or acc with the ogm container just i a newbie so dont know anything on the mkv or that. but i wont mind using ogg or acc for the audio format end day i like ogg at 80kbits and think i produces a relativly good sample back. just hope there ways that can be used to improve encoding and give better quality as time to me is nothing and rather have extra few hours knowing my output xvid or divx file will look 5% better than the current version!!

does anyone know yet what diffrence you get if you encode with the internal codec and the external codec?

hope everyone is well
Old 18th July 2006, 04:07   #307  |  Link
celtic_druid

If you had the same version installed externally, then there would be no difference.
Old 18th July 2006, 13:32   #308  |  Link
laserfan
Aging Video Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjwerrett
...does anyone know yet what diffrence you get if you encode with the internal codec and the external codec?
If you try to use "external Xvid" codec with FUW2.5, your settings will not be used insofar as at least "custom Matrix" and "# of BVOPs". I don't know what other settings might get over-ridden--these are ones I could see were incorrect in my output, via MPEG4Modifier's analysis.

I spent a lot of time trying to find the problem to no avail. But when I revert to FUW 2.1a, and then add 2.2pre3.exe release, everything works. I think the way FUW uses the Registry settings was changed after that, and something broke...
Old 18th July 2006, 14:56   #309  |  Link
celtic_druid

Two different things though; external XviD and custom settings. You can use the internal XviD build, but with your own settings or an external build, but with settings based on the quality/speed slider.
Old 18th July 2006, 19:54   #310  |  Link
laserfan
Aging Video Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by celtic_druid
Two different things though; external XviD and custom settings...
Not sure why, if I understand your comment right, anyone would even WANT to use an external Xvid build, and not use their custom settings with it as well.

My need is that I like to use the Xvid build from AutoGK, which has MTK/Sigma compatibility features, and a custom matrix. I know from exchanges I've had with ump that he'd been trying to get FUW to work for me, but like I said somewhere along the way the registry setting system and/or FUW's handling of external Xvid "broke" after 2.1a and 2.2pre3.
Old 18th July 2006, 22:11   #311  |  Link
loopyloops

Just received an email re: the FU 2.5 update - is that different than the one I downloaded a week or so ago? Just wondering 'cause the email came in just now. Thanks!!
loopyloops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2006, 23:31   #312  |  Link
jjwerrett

okay so let me gess this right the program dont work correctly in that the internal xvid codec is no use as it dont update itself through the registry when you change settings, but the external codec which is lately version there is on net does work along with the settings because it works fine with registry settings been sent to the codec? is this correct or not.

Also this custom matrix i would liek to learn more about it as i never messed bout with the codecs options before and would like to have a go but what do i change or can anyone give the matrix as a export as i no i can load or save them it just there loads numbers and to me i probaly change it and it go wrong!!!

well druid will wait for any new builds from you testing diffrent parts but if u need a tester i sure love to help in any way
Old 19th July 2006, 08:44   #313  |  Link
jjwerrett

well i am currently doing a test with the 0.30 version of fairuse which was divx3 and currently now with the 2.5 latest version with xvid, i got to say for cross cutting and all the divx3 produced a very good copy of aeon flux. so it will be good to see how the xvid comes out and they are set to the same settings of 988mb and 160k audio bitrate so will let you lot know. but funny part is the divx3 codec and cross cutting took me 4hrs for the lot to be done than 5hrs which the xvid does so not bad for 4 encodes when xvid does a 2 pass!!

well will let you all know how goes as gonna do a compare with eyes and also with screenshots so some of you can see a sample if you like to just show you that maybe cross cutting if druid or that can do it is not a bad thing and why ti was taken out is a shame.

"loopyloops" i did receieve a email bout the FU 2.5 update but this was on the 13th July 2006 so i dont no if was a delay with your email or that but though i see if would help by giving date i received my email bout FU 2.5
Old 19th July 2006, 12:34   #314  |  Link
jjwerrett

well done the encodes and divx3 had more vivid colour than xvid but at the cost of blocks so that out window was fun test though as the divx3 cross cuttings does good job of it on dark area where it actually black not dark grey look, well shame xvid cant have this cross cutting method as wonder how it would actually come out at the end be intresting to see. well since i stick with xvid i need now know bout this custom matrix since i encode all dvds at 192kbit mp3 and set file size to 2gb but would liek to try ogg audio but dont no wat container to put it in.

also still gona wait and see bout this internal and external codec problem that the external one gets the correct settings and the internal doesnt so will wait for an answer there.

but most of all want know bout this matrix stuff as i wana see wat happens if i change it to a custom one like a user said but i dont no what part i mess round with
Old 19th July 2006, 13:48   #315  |  Link
~bT~
н∂-ƒαиαтι¢

For some reason, my ext or int XviD settings are not honoured. Things like custom matrice, b-vops etc. I checked with MpegModifier. Anyone solved this yet?

Last edited by ~bT~; 19th July 2006 at 13:52.
~bT~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2006, 15:44   #316  |  Link
celtic_druid

Looks like a HT profile is being loaded. So most settings get ignored. Disabling bframes will work, but if they are enabled then you get 1 consecutive with packed bitstream enabled. Qpel and GMC get ignored and you always get H.263 quants. So the settings are being loaded, just most overidden by the HT profile.

Shouldn't take to long to find the problem and fix it. Need to change my build anyway since the VfW is broken (GMC gets disabled for unrestricted, although that isn't such a bad thing, since GMC crashes). No time to look now though.

Once again, using an external XviD build, has nothing to do with custom settings. They are seperate things.
Old 19th July 2006, 22:47   #317  |  Link
laserfan
Aging Video Hobbyist

Quote:
Once again, using an external XviD build, has nothing to do with custom settings. They are seperate things.
c_d I don't understand this--what are you defining as "custom settings"?

Like I said above, I like the Xvid build from AutoGK because I use the MTK/Sigma profile embedded with it (OTTOMH I think it's called "NTSC MTK" perhaps) and then I load a custom matrix (not H.263) and change a number of other settings here & there (this is what *I* mean by "custom settings").

All looks well on the surface w/FUW2.5, but when my encoding is complete the result includes (at least) the H.263 quants and 1 BVOPs vs. what I'd expected.

Any clarification you can offer would be appreciated--am I right in understanding too that you are the guru behind the "MTK/Sigma" stuff? I use Pinnacle ShowCenter players with Sigma Designs chipsets...
Old 20th July 2006, 03:03   #318  |  Link
celtic_druid

I am refering to the encoding mode "codec settings" = custom settings and unticking "use internal XviD" = external.

As I said, all that is happening with the H.263 quants, 1 bvop, etc. could be explained if FU was accidentally loading a HomeTheatre profile, since it would force all of that. Doesn't mean that your settings aren't being loaded and it happens for internal and external versions of XviD here.

Yes, I added the MTK profiles. From recollection it wasn't my idea though.
Old 20th July 2006, 04:23   #319  |  Link
laserfan
Aging Video Hobbyist

Quote:
I am refering to the encoding mode "codec settings" = custom settings and unticking "use internal XviD" = external.
OK, so am I.

Quote:
As I said, all that is happening with the H.263 quants, 1 bvop, etc. could be explained if FU was accidentally loading a HomeTheatre profile, since it would force all of that.
I'm exposing my ignorance cuz I don't know exactly what Xvid functionality is asserted via a profile selection; but this clarifies your position for me, thanks.

I did go 'round & round with ump on this problem--he said he couldn't duplicate my findings. But I can certainly see that something broke after 2.1a, and numerous others at the FU support site have complained about "external Xvid" issues as well. I appreciate that you've shown an interest in this!
Old 20th July 2006, 04:47   #320  |  Link
celtic_druid

Well I can replicate it.
Basically HT profiles don't allow qpel, GMC or quants other than H.263. Also if bframes are enabled, they are limited to 1 consecutive with pb enabled. I also made sure that N-VOP's don't get used and from recollection, if interlacing is enabled, bframes are disabled.

You can check my theory by disabling bframes. Should result in an encode without bframes. This would not be the case if the settings were simply being ignored.

I should have time tonight to have a proper look and hopefully fix it.