Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Old 23rd July 2008, 15:48   #1  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

MeGUI x264 presets.

EDIT
WARNING
- MeGUI does not install x264 encoder presets via the updater anymore, as it used to do in earlier versions. It is now recommend to use the 'Target Playback Device' option in the 'x264 configuration dialog' instead.
- You can still create and import x264 encoder presets at your convenience. But the presets mentioned in this post will certainly be outdated and not supported correctly by current MeGUI versions.
/EDIT

Here's a list of the new MeGUI x264 presets. They will replace the old ones.
So, ensure to DELETE ALL the old x264 profiles/presets BEFORE IMPORTING this ones:

DXVA-HD-Anime_Toons Fast
DXVA-HD-Anime_Toons HQ
DXVA-HD-Fast
DXVA-HD-Balanced
DXVA-HD-HQ
DXVA-HD-Extra Quality
DXVA-HD-Insane
DXVA-SD-Anime_Toons Fast
DXVA-SD-Anime_Toons HQ
DXVA-SD-Fast
DXVA-SD-Balanced
DXVA-SD-HQ
DXVA-SD-Extra Quality
DXVA-SD-Insane

The "DXVA" group presets ensure DXVA hardware compatibility and good compression/quality. The 'FAST' tagged profiles are consistently faster but have a bit lower compression/quality (this is true for other preset groups too). Those presets replace the old HQ and AE ones. The SD and HD tags mean for Standard Def and for High Def. encodings.

Device-Archos605
Device-Cellphones_PDAs-Level1.0
Device-Cellphones_PDAs-Level1.1
Device-Cellphones_PDAs-Level1.2
Device-Cellphones_PDAs-Level1.3
Device-iPhone
Device-iPod 5.5G
Device-iPod
Device-PSP
Device-Zune

The "Device" group presets, is for Portable Devices compatibility.

Standalone-AppleTV
Standalone-AVC-HD
Standalone-PS3-Xbox360
Standalone-PS3-Xbox360_Fast
Standalone-Xbox_HiRes
Standalone-Xbox_LoRes
Standalone-Blu-ray
Standalone-Blu-ray_Fast
Standalone-HD-DVD
Standalone-HD-DVD_Fast

The "Standalone" group presets, ensure compatibility with Stand Alone players and devices.

Unrestricted 1pass ABR
Unrestricted 1pass ABR Fast
Unrestricted 1pass MaxSpeed
Unrestricted 1pass Const. Quality Anime_Toons
Unrestricted 1pass Const. Quality Fast
Unrestricted 1pass Const. Quality Balanced
Unrestricted 1pass Const. Quality Extra Q.
Unrestricted 1pass Const. Quality HQ
Unrestricted 1pass Const. Quality Insane
Unrestricted 1pass Lossless
Unrestricted 2pass Fast
Unrestricted 2pass Balanced
Unrestricted 2pass HQ
Unrestricted 2pass Extra Quality
Unrestricted 2pass Insane
Unrestricted 2pass Anime_Toons Fast
Unrestricted 2pass Anime_Toons Balanced
Unrestricted 2pass Anime_Toons HQ
Unrestricted 2pass Anime_Toons Extra Q.
Unrestricted 2pass Anime_Toons Insane
Unrestricted 2pass QuickTime for Windows

The "Unrestricted" group presets is for people not caring about hardware compatibility and are particularly good for mid-high/high end completely software PC playback (without DXVA videocards). Those ones are good to replace HQ and AE presets too. 1 pass ABR presets are not recommended. Those are there only because the encoder support that mode OR if you need fast encodings and somewhat have bitrate limits, try to not use them. 2pass or other modes will produce way better results. The maxspeed preset uses constant quality and minimum settings.

Additional notes: If you dont know what preset to choose or you're uncertain, use the DXVA HD or SD (depending on the source definition: SD - standard definition, HD - High definition) presets as default encoding presets or Unrestricted 2pass HQ or Balanced.
All anime/toons of all presets groups have Psy-RDO DISABLED and a higher deblocking filter values.
The presets are made for MeGUI however you can port or include them in other encoding GUIs or Apps.
The presets should work but I assume no responsibilities for anything that could happen (including and not limited to exploding cats or psycho bunnies) blah blah blah... usual stuff.

DOWNLOAD
(mirror)
Ver.85
Changelog:
V50: Initial release
V51: The Unrestricted 2pass preset now uses slower/higher compression settings but 1 less ref frame.
V52: All the Unrestricted 2pass presets were missing the "Turbo" option for first pass. Insane does not use Turbo 1st pass.
V53: Changed Unrestricted 1pass Constant Quality Trellis = 1 to 2
V54: Changed Unrestricted 1pass Constant Quality Deblocking to -1,-1
V55: Limited the max b-frames number in some presets due to this: https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=139827
V56: Renamed Unrestricted 2pass -> Unrestricted 2pass HQ. New Unrestricted 2pass Balanced preset. More bframes tweaking.
V57: New Unrestricted 1pass Const. Quality presets (HQ, Balanced, FAST). They replace the old one. AVC-HD and BD maxbitrate & buffer tweaks.
V58: Added Device-Zune preset. B-Frames updated to 3 in Device-PSP preset.
V59: Min Keyint -> 2 in all Blu-Ray and AVC-HD presets. Weighted B-Prediction disabled on any Anime/Toons presets.
V60: New Insane presets for DXVA group. Fixed Trellis 1 -> 2 in DXVA HQ presets.
V61: Revised/Fixed VBV settings for most of the restricted presets. Too much changes to list them. Also Trellis 1 -> 0 in Device-PSP preset (due to Psy-RDO).
V62: Revised settings for Device-PSP preset... added some more juice. Removed b-pyramid from all DXVA group presets... this time it is FOREVER until x264 gets properly patched.
V63: Rised the min-keyint value to 4 in all HD-DVD presets.
V64: DVXA-SD-HQ preset still had b-pyramid.
V65: New Balanced presets in DXVA group. Some tweaks here and there... too much to list.
V66: Restored min-keyint value to 2 in both HD-DVD presets. Disabled AQ in all Anime/Toons presets (it did more harm than good).
V67: Tweaks, Tweaks, Tweaks... too much to be listed (most are concerning Trellis) and removed b-pyramid from DXVA-SD-Balanced preset (it was not meant to be there).
V68: Updated partition types for Device-iPod, Device-iPod 5.5G and Device-Zune presets.
V69: Fixed the Device-PSP preset (messed up in the previous version).
V70: Various VBV buffers changes for Device group presets. Trellis 0 to 1 in Device-PSP preset. New Device-Cellphones_PDAs-Level1.3 preset.
V71: Revised all VBV max bitrate and buffers in all restricted presets. Renamed Device-AppleTV -> Standalone-AppleTV (changed group).
V72: Removed b-pyramid from DXVA-SD-Anime_Toons (missed it in a previous update)
V73: New Extra Quality presets for both DXVA and Unrestricted groups. New Unrestricted 1pass Const. Quality Insane preset. All Insane presets are even more insane. Extra Quality presets are a blend between HQ and Insane presets settings. Other minor tweaks.
V74: General tweaks discussed here: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...05#post1180105
V75: Completely new Anime/Toons presets.
V76: Changed AQmode 2 to 1.
V77: Updated psy options format for the new MeGUI version
V78: Removed Psy-Trellis (set to 0) in all presets coz it's too much experimental. Set b-adapt to 2 where it was possible without hurting speed too much and on all the Insane presets.
V79: Limited the number of B-Frames when b-adapt 2 is set for encoding speed reasons.
V80: Rised the number of B-Frames in Unrestricted presets to 16 where b-adapt 1 is used. All HQ presets now use b-adapt 2.
V81: Presets format updated due to the recente changes in x264 API plus some very slight changes in some options.
V82: Fixed subme mode from 7 to 9 in Unrestricted 1pass Const. Quality Insane.
V83: Fixed some typos in presets names. Added Unrestricted 1pass Const. Quality Anime_Toons preset. Added P4x4 partitions option where possible.
V84: Added Device-Android G1 preset based on kosmonaut findings.
V85: Fixed VBV Buffer size for Standalone-Blu-Ray presets.

READ CAREFULLY: Download the archive. Delete all the MeGUI x264 presets before importing these ones. Import the presets using the MeGUI File->Import Presets menu'.
If you want to get back the old presets, delete these ones and use the Force Reinstall option in megui Options->Update for the x264 presets.

Last edited by tebasuna51; 11th April 2012 at 19:35. Reason: add Warning
Sharktooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2008, 16:03   #2  |  Link
rack04

Fantastic. Thanks for all your hard work.

My observations:

Are the HQ tags going to be removed from the DXVA profiles? Not that it really matters but just to be consistent with the other profiles. Should the ones that are "not recommended" even be included?
rack04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2008, 16:06   #3  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

not recommended means the encoder can do much better with 2 passes but... if you need really FAST encoding an have bitrate limits, you can ignore the 'Not recommended'.
DXVA presets are all HQ presets, even the fast ones.

Last edited by Sharktooth; 23rd July 2008 at 16:13.
Old 23rd July 2008, 16:16   #4  |  Link
Nightshiver
Quality Freak

Aww, so you're not keeping the old AE (anime) presets? If not, I'll probably not want to update unless one of the new presets can do the same job.
Nightshiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2008, 16:25   #5  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

Use the Unrestricted (better choice) or DXVA presets for Anime.

Last edited by Sharktooth; 23rd July 2008 at 16:29.
Old 23rd July 2008, 16:27   #6  |  Link
Nightshiver
Quality Freak

Is there a particular one that most closely resembles AE-Maxquality? Might be the unrestricted 2pass insane... Another question. Are the DXVA 2pass for all of them?
Nightshiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2008, 16:31   #7  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

Unrestricted 2pass insane it's even better than AE-Maxquality but may be a bit slower. That's if you need to hit a filesize or bitrate.
I'd use Unrestricted 2pass. In both cases i would edit the profile or create a new one starting from one of those 2 and rise the inloop filter values to 1 and 1...
If you want i can add two general HQ anime presets in the Unrestricted and DXVA groups.

Edit: Too late, you convinced me.... added.

Last edited by Sharktooth; 23rd July 2008 at 16:39.
Old 23rd July 2008, 16:43   #8  |  Link
smok3
brontosaurusrex

ok, so i'am not a megui regular, but how about all this acronims (PD, SA), how about 'PortableDevice' and 'Standalone' instead?

(looking at the gui, encoder settings has a full-width pulldown, so that should not be a problem?)
Old 23rd July 2008, 16:45   #9  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

dang, i was thinking the same. ill see what i can do.

edit: done.

Last edited by Sharktooth; 23rd July 2008 at 16:56.
Old 23rd July 2008, 17:18   #10  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

pff... damn windows and M$... lost all presets...
proceding with a hard undelete... crossing fingers.
Old 23rd July 2008, 17:35   #11  |  Link
rack04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharktooth View Post
not recommended means the encoder can do much better with 2 passes but... if you need really FAST encoding an have bitrate limits, you can ignore the 'Not recommended'.
DXVA presets are all HQ presets, even the fast ones.
So should it be DXVA-HD-HQ_Fast?
rack04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2008, 17:38   #12  |  Link
Kurtnoise
Swallowed in the Sea

First, congrats for the update. Hoping you haven't lost everything...:/

I vote to rename/remove 2 things :
  • "PortableDevice" to "Device". I think it's more appropriate (or let just the device type as name). Plus, I don't think that the PS3 and the Xbox are portable.
  • Standalone : is it really necessary ? BluRay and HDVD is self explanatory imo...

and btw, is it useful/interesting to keep the Insane preset ? It should be removed (just my opinion though...)

Last edited by Kurtnoise; 23rd July 2008 at 18:39.
Kurtnoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2008, 18:38   #13  |  Link
smok3
brontosaurusrex

or merge portableDevice and Standalone into TargetDevice or only Device (or Hardware maybe).
Old 23rd July 2008, 19:11   #14  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtnoise13 View Post
First, congrats for the update. Hoping you haven't lost everything...:/

I vote to rename/remove 2 things :
  • "PortableDevice" to "Device". I think it's more appropriate (or let just the device type as name). Plus, I don't think that the PS3 and the Xbox are portable.
  • Standalone : is it really necessary ? BluRay and HDVD is self explanatory imo...

and btw, is it useful/interesting to keep the Insane preset ? It should be removed (just my opinion though...)
Quote:
..probably the Xbox presets will be moved under the SA group...
just done.
however im trying to recoved the files. the damn NTFS is a rotten POS.
Insane is there for Insane PPL. I can assure you there are a lot...
Old 23rd July 2008, 19:23   #15  |  Link
saint-francis
too much lurking

Thanks Sharktooth. I'm looking forward to checking these out. I appreciate the effort.

Quote:
Insane is there for Insane PPL. I can assure you there are a lot...
I'm one of those people. I often (about once a week or so) use the HQ insane profile. With the power of affordable processing these days and looking at what's on the horizon for processors I'm personally not too excited about Hardware decoding. I do have a question about the DXVA profiles though. How many reference frames will they use? With MPC HC I'm now getting hardware acceleration with 10 reference frames and the current DXVA profiles only use something like 3.
saint-francis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2008, 19:26   #16  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

Depends on the resolution SD or HD. The DXVA profiles are made to be compatible with ALL DXVA decoders (including powerDVD and MPC).
Obviously MPC's decoder has less limitations than cyberlink's, but a couple of additional refs (when there are already 3 or more) do not change your life and neither the encoding quality.
Old 23rd July 2008, 20:43   #17  |  Link
saint-francis
too much lurking

Quote:
but a couple of additional refs (when there are already 3 or more) do not change your life and neither the encoding quality.
Are you saying that the difference between 3 and 10 reference frames is negligible?
saint-francis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2008, 02:31   #18  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

yep. more then 3 refs = negligible gain and using more refs = enormous encoding times.
i swear!!! i definatly lost all files dated after 18 july 2008... on 2 different HDDs... thanx NTFS!!!

Last edited by Sharktooth; 24th July 2008 at 03:09.
Old 24th July 2008, 02:52   #19  |  Link
Dark Shikari
x264 developer

Quote:
yep. more then 3 refs = negligible gain
I'd put the cutoff more around 4-5. And more than 5, even, is certainly not for animated footage or CGI.

Last edited by Dark Shikari; 24th July 2008 at 02:55.
Dark Shikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2008, 03:01   #20  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

3 was chosen for DXVA or other HW compatible presets.
Unrestricted presets have more refs, expecially the anime one.

Tags
megui, x264 presets