Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 25th May 2018, 09:01   #50981  |  Link
oldpainlesskodi

Hi Guys,

A few pages back I posted about the Club 3D CAC 1080 Display Port 1.4 HDMI 2.0 A (B) Hdr Active displayport to hdmi adapter, and if anyone has bought one, and would like the latest firmware for it, PM me (I am working with the manufacturer on ironing out a few bugs).

Last edited by oldpainlesskodi; 25th May 2018 at 09:07.
oldpainlesskodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2018, 09:12   #50982  |  Link
Koltos

Quote:
Originally Posted by madjock View Post
I had no joy with the custom side of MadVR, if I tried anything else apart from the custom res that I set up in Nvidia that MadVR saw, then I just had a fuzzy screen mostly.

Best I could get it to was 1 Frame Repeat every 38 minutes with Custom res and Nvidia, better if I took some settings down, so just learnt to let that go.

Had to roll back to an earlier driver with Nvidia to get the custom res to stick as have many.
Sounds good. To what driver did you roll back?

And I think Nvidia is really working strange in a way of custom mode. One of funny thing, when my hdmi on 60hz I need to enable on my TV black level of hdmi "Low". When it changes on 24hz with MADvr I need to enable black level of hdmi to "Normal". It's so weird that signal of black seems changing because of refresh rate.

Last edited by Koltos; 25th May 2018 at 09:15.
Koltos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2018, 09:17   #50983  |  Link
foozoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Not this time. Madshi did say he was getting external help to deal with 3dlut stuff I think it was. Speculation is gonna happen in a forum.
I thought it was for his completely new algorithm.
I hope it's not related to color conversion.
foozoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2018, 09:38   #50984  |  Link
madjock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koltos View Post
Sounds good. To what driver did you roll back?

And I think Nvidia is really working strange in a way of custom mode. One of funny thing, when my hdmi on 60hz I need to enable on my TV black level of hdmi "Low". When it changes on 24hz with MADvr I need to enable black level of hdmi to "Normal". It's so weird that signal of black seems changing because of refresh rate.
I went back to 390.77.

I then went to Nvidia Control Panel/Customise, changed the Refresh Rate to 24 or 23 in the upper refresh rate box (only allows 2 numbers)

Then go to Timing, select GTF, then select Manual and the GTF settings stay there, then change that refresh rate in lower right to 23.976 and save.

Give that a go and see how you get on. I went from frame drops every X minutes, to frame repeats every 38.

When you start a video it says frame drops every X this then goes to days then jumps over to frame repeats, the gist is there are multiple clocks involved and you will waste more time messing with it and getting nowhere, and apart from being fixated on something I never cared about before I am quite happy.
madjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2018, 09:40   #50985  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by foozoor View Post
I thought it was for his completely new algorithm.
Yeah, that's right.. The math side of things for that.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2018, 15:12   #50986  |  Link
fhoech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
True, but I would be surprised if you could get one 3DLUT that looks good for both Wonder Woman and the first Harry Potter movie.
Try target peak = 700 with mastering display peak = 10K.

Quote:
If you don’t care about the extra luminance in the highlights I suppose you could use 10k but then it is much darker than passthrough is
The LG 7 series do seem to loose quite some highlight detail though (e.g. the beach in Sony's "Whale in Tonga" demo looks very flat), and this looks to be how they buy the extra brightness.

Quote:
Harry Potter, for example, is very dark with a 3DLUT generated with peak nits set to 10K but looks normal with passthrough.
Target peak shouldn't be 10K. Mastering display peak should probably be 10K for best preservation of highlight detail.

Quote:
It is not a really small change, it is quite significant and much more noticeable than improved hue, etc. Right now a 3DLUT completely ignores the video’s metadata doesn’t it?
When using a "process HDR content" 3D LUT, you can override the metadata that is being sent to the display in madVR's HDR settings. I don't know if disabling that checkbox means the movie metadata is passed through.
Old 25th May 2018, 21:00   #50987  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhoech View Post
Try target peak = 700 with mastering display peak = 10K.
Yes, this is what I tried. Or 4000 for the mastering display peak. I seem to get best results using the measured peak nits for a video as the mastering display's peak and 700 for target peak. It has a similar brightness as passthrough. At 10K mastering display peak all movies are pretty dark, with a dim "normal" brightness, but highlights do look good.

I would not be surprised if LG was normally pushing the mid-range into the highlights but the image is still too dark with all my HDR content using a 10K 3DLUT.

I did try messing with the metadata options sent to the display but I am not sure they help much, I do not remember a big difference between them. Also I wanted to leave them set to the same values I used when profiling the display.
Old 25th May 2018, 21:18   #50988  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

Can you imagine any reason why madVR 0.92.12 may delay video rendering by about 4-6 seconds of blackness after a player starts? The statistics OSD reports about 100 dropped frames and appears not before the video as well; ProcessExplorer reports 0% GPU usage during this delay; EVR CP renders immediately.

New German Gleitz board
MediaFire: x264 | x265 | VPx | AOM | Xvid
LigH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2018, 21:23   #50989  |  Link
huhn

what os?
is delay frames until queues are full tickt?
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2018, 21:57   #50990  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

Windows 7 SP1

No, the delay option is not checked. Queue sizes are: CPU = 12, GPU = 8 (AMD Phenom-II X6 + Nvidia GTS 450).

New German Gleitz board
MediaFire: x264 | x265 | VPx | AOM | Xvid
LigH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2018, 23:36   #50991  |  Link
giulianoprs

help setting

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum, sorry my English, I ask you some advice, in "the display modes" having a 4k TV is better to set in the string of resolutions 2160p23,2160p24 ect ect always? even with 1080p files? in "chroma upscaling" NGU is ok? or too strong?
In "image upscaling" better JIN (upscaling) or NGU (doubling)? here I have a lot of confusion.
My video card is an asus amd rx 560 strix o.c.
Thanks to everyone bye !!!
I forgot with NGU I have very high temperatures, 65 ° GPU

Last edited by giulianoprs; 25th May 2018 at 23:39.
giulianoprs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2018, 00:17   #50992  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by giulianoprs View Post
Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum, sorry my English, I ask you some advice, in "the display modes" having a 4k TV is better to set in the string of resolutions 2160p23,2160p24 ect ect always? even with 1080p files? in "chroma upscaling" NGU is ok? or too strong?
In "image upscaling" better JIN (upscaling) or NGU (doubling)? here I have a lot of confusion.
My video card is an asus amd rx 560 strix o.c.
Thanks to everyone bye !!!
I forgot with NGU I have very high temperatures, 65 ° GPU
Yes, keep all the display modes 2160p, etc. This will upscale everything to 2160p.

NGU Anti-Alias or any other NGU scaler is good for chroma upscaling. For image upscaling/doubling, NGU Sharp or NGU Anti-Alias are also good choices.

That temperature is not that high and won't do any damage. If it bothers you, use something other than NGU for chroma/image upscaling.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2018, 01:25   #50993  |  Link
Kamikaze Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sat4all View Post
thanks much, maybe be i need to adapte to dim hdr picture.
everything else is unwatchable.
Manual calibration is no go for me bcs of LG oled's broken CMS.
Check how your display behaves when showing 150+ nits content.
I've mentioned in one of your avsforum threads that I have an E6 so I'll use mine as an example of what I'm trying to say here.

Any portion of content exceeding ~130 nits will begin to "build up" the longer it remains on screen.
When calibrating/profiling my primary monitor (E6) I move everything off of it (no desktop icons, no task bar, no wallpaper, etc). I change the background color to 45/45/45 rgb.
Since madtpg does not stay minimized after measurements, I push it into the corner and resize it (no chance of retention or burn in from interface elements).
When I toss a windowed "60% white" pattern on the screen for 60 seconds, when I return to the desktop I can clearly see a glowing rectangle where the white pattern was. This is retention, and goes away after a few minutes.
If you measure say, 30%, it will be brighter than it should.

It's very important to know how your display behaves in this regard.

This is likely why you have a dimmer picture with DisplayCAL.

I'm getting closer to being ready to use DisplayCAL, but I'm assuming white drift compensation will be counter-productive in this case, adding more white patterns in the list.
I think the only solution for the time being is to create a custom pattern list manually to keep retention from happening. I've been trying to avoid doing this, as it's a huge pain in the ass lol.

And like Florian said, the tone mapping can also screw with it. You'd need to have a separate 3D LUT for the various nit levels specified in the metadata. 85% of 4000 nits would be mapped differently than 85% of 1000 nits.
How accurate the metadata is, is another can of worms.

---------

Quote:
Originally Posted by sat4all View Post
Finally i've got things right, thanks to this document

<SNIP>

With 540 as target in both displaycal and madhcctrl hdr settings. Now HDR average picture level doesn't look deviate drastically from that of a regular Bluray SDR.
So referring to this document, if your oled can't match the recommended minimum peak luminance you should still use 540 as target, but with newer oled's your are free to use your real peak luminance as they go beyond that.
This is what they mean? or 540 is the magic number for my display which barely hit 400nits.
That's the calibration procedure Ted and I were talking about in your thread on avsforum.

You cannot LITERALLY follow their procedure. It is impossible.
Also, that was for the 2016 oled series like my E6, and does not apply to yours at all.

While you can't follow their literally, it is possible to follow their targets...
HOWEVER this can only be done by using the service menu controls (lowering Sub-Brightness and Sub-Contrast, using the 2-point "white balance" controls), and aligning 20-point controls with the normal Brightness/Contrast controls.
This is a very tedious process. Aside from me and harlekin, I've not seen anyone even try this approach to calibrating these displays. I don't blame them, this does sound completely too stupid to work. I'm not suggesting anyone try this either, just that this is something I've done and can't prove or disprove my claim.
Kamikaze Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2018, 04:52   #50994  |  Link
MysteryX
Soul Architect

On a ASUS laptop with Geoforce GTX 1050, if I use madVR with DirectX9, sometimes the video driver will be unstable, such as video occasionally freezing or going blank, especially when switching monitor, and sometimes even BSOD. (although I'm not 100% certain these instabilities are caused by madVR but it appears so)

If I render using DirectX11, it appears to be more stable, but the seek bar doesn't display properly and often goes black when hovering the mouse. (and full-screen dedicated mode only displays a black screen)

Anyone else have these issues?

On my previous laptop, with a Radeon 7670M, it was perfectly stable under Direct9 but DirectX11 wasn't working well.
MysteryX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2018, 07:31   #50995  |  Link
Sebastiii

Hi guys

Spotted a bug with confirmed by friend too, from madVR9213 up to madVR9214 (latest) 10Bit for "D3D11 fullscreen windowed" didn't work anymore (it says 8 bit).

Do you have the same ?

Cheers.
Old 26th May 2018, 08:23   #50996  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDisk80 View Post
But now there is another issue. 10bit had stopped working while in D3D11 Fullscreen Windowed mode. Only way to enable 10bit now is to use the D3D11 Exclusive mode.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni View Post
That's a bug in the latest MadVR release unless you are in passthrough on Windows 10, because in that case there is minor banding due to OS/nVidia driver bug. In pixel shader, 10bits should be brought back shortly, as I don't think it was Madshi's intention to force 8bits in that mode as well.
Learn to search my son..
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2018, 09:34   #50997  |  Link
mrmojo666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastiii View Post
Hi guys

Spotted a bug with confirmed by friend too, from madVR9213 up to madVR9214 (latest) 10Bit for "D3D11 fullscreen windowed" didn't work anymore (it says 8 bit).

Do you have the same ?

Cheers.

Here it's working nicely d11 fullscreen windowed output 10 bit. but as you know i have amd card.
mrmojo666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2018, 10:12   #50998  |  Link
el Filou

Quote:
Originally Posted by LigH View Post
No, the delay option is not checked. Queue sizes are: CPU = 12, GPU = 8 (AMD Phenom-II X6 + Nvidia GTS 450).
Are you using MPC-HC? If yes, have you tried another NVIDIA driver version? I remember that in one of their release notes some time ago it said there was a bug where playback would freeze/stutter at the start with MPC-HC.
Old 26th May 2018, 10:23   #50999  |  Link
oldpainlesskodi

I noticed a few folks having problems getting custom modes to work ( i think on Nvidia cards).

I am on driver version 391.35 (and have tried the latest drivers), and I could not get custom modes to work with the latest versions of MadVR. However, I went back to MadVR v0.92.7, and voila, custom modes work perfect, and for my set up, using 10bit rgb @ 4K 23.976 too (one drop frame every 8 hours or so).

If you dont want to stay on 0.92.7, simply use that version to set custom mode, and then go back to your preferred version of Madvr.

This may, or may not work for others, but it works here, so I see no reason why it would not work for other setups using nvidia.

Last edited by oldpainlesskodi; 26th May 2018 at 10:36. Reason: Typo
oldpainlesskodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2018, 10:30   #51000  |  Link
e-t172

Quote:
Originally Posted by LigH View Post
Can you imagine any reason why madVR 0.92.12 may delay video rendering by about 4-6 seconds of blackness after a player starts? The statistics OSD reports about 100 dropped frames and appears not before the video as well; ProcessExplorer reports 0% GPU usage during this delay; EVR CP renders immediately.
Exact same issue here, it appeared when I upgraded Windows from 1709 to 1803. This only happens when madVR switches to exclusive mode, though.
e-t172 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling