Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > (HD) DVD & Blu-ray authoring

Old 29th January 2002, 08:11   #1  |  Link
SiC

Robshot's 3 DVD's in 1

Is it possible that you can make a guide on how to put multiple DVD rips into 1 DVD-R which is playable on a standalone?? I've read Robshot's method but his article was about putting a home film/video (which is about as long as 3 normal movies) encoded into a PC, then burning to a DVD-R. It wasn't actual ripping multiple DVDs and burning them onto a DVD-R.

Thanx!
SiC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2002, 12:10   #2  |  Link
MickeyNBK

If you were to do that then you would have to rempeg (or use something to reduce the bit rate) and completely reauthor a brand new disc. This would not be easy and would take you several days of re-encoding. The quality would probalby be crap too.

1. Rip the movie with Smartripper (or your ripper of choice)
2. Figure out how big the files are and calculate the bitrate you would need to drop it to about 1/3 of the origial size.
3. Merge all of your VOBs for the original movie.
4. Demux Video and Audio
5. Use your re-encoder of choice to reduce the bit rate
6. Find something to do without your computer for 12-36 hours
7. repeat steps 1-6 for the other 2 dvds
8. Find an authoring program that likes your newly created mpeg2 files and author your dvd with 3 movies on them
9. Get disappointed in the major loss of quality

This works only if you have more time than money. You also may have to repeat the process a few times because of random screwups that occur during the re-encoding process.
MickeyNBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2002, 12:23   #3  |  Link
SiC

hehe, thanx alot!! Just by reading Robshot's article it seemed that his final product turned out to be really good, so I just thought I might give it a try. I'll try 2 DVD movies (1.5hrs ea) and give it a shot.
Thanx again
SiC is offline   Reply With Quote