Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > DVD2AVI / DGIndex
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 5th April 2002, 16:15   #221  |  Link
Nic

At present, ive put a "Rip DVD" option in the file menu...clicking this: Authenticates the disc, finds the main movie & displays all the ifo information for. You can then select PGC, audio stream you want & where you want to save the rip to...then click rip. Its basic but is enough for most people (there is also a little combo box so you can select the other titles on the DVD other than the main one)

-Nic
Nic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2002, 17:36   #222  |  Link
Kyo
Anime Team!

Waaa...

@Energizer rabbit

Thanks for your work in ALL, keep coding

@all developers

You're doing great stuff

Nice work!
Old 5th April 2002, 17:45   #223  |  Link
ShinerSpoon

Quote:
I'd rather see a FairUse like interface (which I had begun work on before all this Uni homework caught up with me), to rip the vobs, generate the project, make your sound files, and write your .avs for CCE. >
To state the obvious (not being a smartass), isn't that called dvd2svcd? If you want to finish your svcd by hand you can check the "edit as part of video encoding" in the frameserver tab of dvd2svcd which stops the process and brings up an edit window with the avs. At that stage the vobs will be ripped, the best possible audio, via besweet, is produced, the d2v is prepared, and the avs is ready to be edited and saved. Just kill the program after that (if you want to hand finish) and you should be good to go with all the drudge work done for you.

I hope I can get away with saying, IMHO, I do think any program like this project can suffer from feature creep if developers are not on their guard. Sure, I can see dvd2avi doing most of the divx process but not the svcd. IMO, if you guys try to make dvd2avi too simple (edit: dumbed down do it all) you will end up making it too complicated. Perhaps it would not be a good idea to change the simple interface we all know and love too much?

Again, I hope I have not offended anybody. That is not my intention.

Last edited by ShinerSpoon; 5th April 2002 at 20:03.
ShinerSpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2002, 19:09   #224  |  Link
Nic

I agree on not changing the interface, but I can see DVD2AVI creating the MP2 Audio & the AVS Script & D2V for SVCD. (as it does all the above already in my version)

(I assume thats what you need for SVCD conversion...unfortunatly don't know anything about it )

-Nic
Nic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2002, 19:58   #225  |  Link
ShinerSpoon

Quote:
but I can see DVD2AVI creating the MP2 Audio & the AVS Script & D2V for SVCD.
Yes, that would work well for hand creation of a simple svcd. People that wanted more like menus, subs, etc., would have the basics of what they need (mp2,d2v,avs)to use additional tools of their choice.

Most would agree that project design is always about the target audience anyway. Those people that are NOT interested in hand creation but that NEEDED complex svcd structures would want to use dvd2svcd anyway. It does this well, very well actually, and automates the whole process.

The point being that they would not be the target audience of this project. People that like to manually do the process and tweak (like using RobShots method) are the target as I see it. Personally, I would like to have both methods available to me. They have different purposes and would compliment each other depending on the mission.
Old 5th April 2002, 23:09   #226  |  Link
int 21h
Still Laughing

I detest the sendkeys and other 'hacks' of DVD2SVCD. I'm only saying I would enjoy a version of DVD2AVI that I feed vob files, and it outputs an mp2 (or two), a d2v, and an avs. I don't want it doing anything else. I don't need it to open CCE, run CCE, calculate bitrate or anything.

Of course, if someone has issues with this, I'll just make a variant and keep it to myself and the other blackhats I associate with in the other part of the 'scene'

I'm not looking for ways to 'simplify' ripping, I'm looking for ways to batch rip, where I can rip multiple DVDs quicker. Just the fact that DVD2AVI will be generating my mp2 files will save me at least 10 or so minutes of just commandline typing.
int 21h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2002, 00:29   #227  |  Link
ShinerSpoon

Quote:
I detest the sendkeys and other 'hacks' of DVD2SVCD.
OT, but man, you must have not seen it for a long, long time. You can actually switch users now in XP and allow D2V to function independently. The next version pending has a batchmode limited only by the size of your HD. It's a strong program now, quite different from its roots.
Quote:
I'm only saying I would enjoy a version of DVD2AVI that I feed vob files, and it outputs an mp2 (or two), a d2v, and an avs.
We are saying the same thing. Sorry, I must have misunderstood your comments above when you mentioned a FU type interface. Now I think I understand that you were talking about another project, not a modification of Dvd2avi.

Last edited by ShinerSpoon; 6th April 2002 at 00:32.
Old 6th April 2002, 04:42   #228  |  Link
int 21h
Still Laughing

I just meant the Wizard like interface.

In any event, its not important.
int 21h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2002, 15:41   #229  |  Link
ShinerSpoon

Would there be a possibility of allowing the audio tracks to be previewed? That would sure come in handy.
Old 6th April 2002, 20:03   #230  |  Link
vlad59
Vlad, the Buffy slayer

A little off the topic but I need help

I'm sorry, I'm a little off the topic.
When I compile the CVS of Save-oe I get strange warning about ddraw.h. I have the latest Windows SDK with only a pre-release of DirectX 8.1 SDK. I'm currently downloading another DirectX SDK to check this out (It's so slow, I think it will be finished tomorrow).
Do I really need the latest DirectX SDK ??
Is there any other trick I must know ??
A last hint, I compiled Mpeg2dec.dll without any problem.

Thanks in advance
vlad59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2002, 21:15   #231  |  Link
trbarry

Offhand, I don't remember any DirectX specific warnings. I do have it in my libraries but that is because it was already there from other projects.

For some reason VS6 seems to remember the same library for all workspaces. I don't know how to override this but wish I did.

- Tom
trbarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2002, 22:56   #232  |  Link
vlad59
Vlad, the Buffy slayer

I found it

I found the problem, I thought it was a Directdraw problem but it is a CPU detection problem.
At home, VS6 is installed on an old K6-400 (With MMX, 3DNow and no SSE) : when I load a vob file it crash.
I tested the same exe on my laptop (P3-750 with SSE) and no crash at all.
I'll check this precisely later (I have to sleep). In fact I should be the last one to have an oldy CPU like that
Old 7th April 2002, 04:01   #233  |  Link
trbarry

I think there is a quirk in DVD2AVI about remembering what type of processor to use. If the DVD2AVI.ini file says you want SSE IDCT process then it will try to use that even if you are now on a new machine that does not support it. The fix is to delete the DVD2AVI.ini file.

- Tom
Old 7th April 2002, 08:43   #234  |  Link
vlad59
Vlad, the Buffy slayer

I don't think that's the problem

In fact IDCT_CONST_PREFETCH is called in getpic.c without checking IDCT_Flag. IDCT_CONST_PREFETCH use the prefetchnta instruction so the program don't work on my K6-400 (it has no SSE and not extended 3Dnow).
I will have to test the program on my P3-750 .
Old 8th April 2002, 03:16   #235  |  Link
trbarry

vlad -

Yep, that's an obvious bug. I meant to fix that today and also check in mpeg2dec but other things came up. I'll try to fix them tomorrow if you haven't already. It wasn't meant to restrict either program to P3 or higher.

- Tom
Old 8th April 2002, 08:40   #236  |  Link
vlad59
Vlad, the Buffy slayer

I'm sorry but I don't think I'll be able to correct the problem myself. I'm mainly a Java programmer, I can read and eventually fix C or C++ code but I'm a real newbie in MMX, SSE, 3DNow, ...
I just found (with google help) that prefetchnta was not available in K6 CPU.
I'm trying to learn MMX and SSE but I begin ........
Sorry again

Edit : I fact prefetch is not so hard to understand, I think I can try to fix it as soon as I come home (in about 8 hours)

Last edited by vlad59; 8th April 2002 at 10:11.
Old 8th April 2002, 18:17   #237  |  Link
trbarry

vlad59 -

I did a bit of testing and that particular prefetch call did not help performance even on P4's, so I took it out of DVD2AVI & MPEG2DEC. Also it should be okay now if you load someone else's dvd2avi.ini file without trying to use sse2 code on a P2 or K6-II.

The source is in Sourceforge. You can find TEST versions of both (with source) at:

www.trbarry.com/DVD2AVIT3.zip and
www.trbarry.com/MPEG2DEC2.zip

- Tom
Old 8th April 2002, 21:42   #238  |  Link
vlad59
Vlad, the Buffy slayer

OK, no more crash. Thanks.
Old 10th April 2002, 03:23   #239  |  Link
trbarry

Oops. Someone just contacted me and let me know that I'd left the file DVD2AVI2.exe out of the zip above. It should be there now.

It looks like I was over zealous in cleaning out intermediate files to make the zip smaller.

- Tom
Old 10th April 2002, 09:27   #240  |  Link
DrKnowLittle

BUG ?

Hello ,

I just tested the build that TBarry posted but it crashes on my compu.

After I load a mpeg2 file I get a msg "You video card cannot handle YUV display. Conversion will work, but you will not get any display in YUV mode" and when I pres ok it crashes.

Im running W2K on a P3 550 with 256MB ram.

/DrKnowlittle
DrKnowLittle is offline   Reply With Quote