Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > DVD2AVI / DGIndex

Old 16th January 2002, 13:56   #21  |  Link
Slyde

Julien => I don't have anything against MV but I wanted to do something on my own as well as having some experience in web developing/administration so I created mpeg4-fr.com as well as zonebenchs.com last month. I'm often on HFR board and my own board but I didn't have time to come often on MV board any longer. Moreover MV board is as few visited as my own board and not so interesting compared to HFR board where many good people - developers and skilled people mainly - joined us lately.

For DVD2AVI new name, I think FastMPEG2AVI, fast MPEG convertor or Quick MPEG convertor would be nice , wouldn't it ?

We should also know what creating a CVS on sourceforge exactly implies.
Slyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2002, 15:32   #22  |  Link
DmitryR

Quote:
Originally posted by Julien

I can take the responsibility if there is any problem, but my english sucks and I am not a programmer... I am not the best person to carry out a project like this but if it's the only way, I can do it
As long as we can understand your English it is quite enough. And you are not to be a programmer. You are to be an administrator. So let start.
DmitryR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2002, 15:43   #23  |  Link
eclipsedvd

So let's go !
Old 16th January 2002, 17:09   #24  |  Link
Julien

Ok, I need some informations :

1. Project Full Name
You should start with specifying the name of your project. The "Full Name" is descriptive, and has no arbitrary restrictions (except a 40 character limit).

2. Project Purpose and Summarization
Please provide detailed, accurate description of your project and what SourceForge resources and in which way you plan to use. This description will be the basis for the approval or rejection of your project's hosting on SourceForge, and later, to ensure that you are using the services in the intended way. This description will not be used as a public description of your project. It must be written in English.

3. License
GNU General Public License (GPL)
GNU Library Public License (LGPL)
BSD License
MIT License
Artistic License
Mozilla Public License 1.0 (MPL)
Q Public License (QPL)
IBM Public License 1.0
MITRE Collaborative Virtual Workspace License (CVW License)
Ricoh Source Code Public License 1.0
Python License
zlib/libpng License
Apache Software License
Vovida Software License 1.0
Sun Internet Standards Source License (SISSL)
Intel Open Source License
Mozilla Public License 1.1 (MPL 1.1)
Jabber Open Source License
Nokia Open Source License
Sleepycat License
Nethack General Public License
IBM Common Public License
Apple Public Source License
Public Domain
Website Only
Other/Proprietary License

4. Project Public Description
This is the description of your project which will be shown on the Project Summary page, in search results, etc. It should not be as comprehensive and formal as Project Purpose description (step 2), so feel free to use concise and catchy wording. Maximum length is 255 chars.

5. Project Unix Name
In addition to full project name, you will need to choose short, "Unix" name for your project.

The "Unix Name" has several restrictions because it is used in so many places around the site. They are:

- Cannot match the unix name of any other project
- Must be between 3 and 15 characters in length
- Must be in lower case
- Can only contain characters, numbers, and dashes
- Must be a valid unix username
- Cannot match one of our reserved domains
- Unix name will never change for this project

Your unix name is important, however, because it will be used for many things, including:

- A web site at unixname.sourceforge.net
- A CVS Repository root of /cvsroot/unixname at cvs.unixname.sourceforge.net
- Shell access to unixname.sourceforge.net
- Search engines throughout the site

That's all !
Julien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2002, 17:31   #25  |  Link
Slyde

So how will be this project called ?

VOB2AVI ?
FastMPEG2AVI ?
fast MPEG convertor ?
Quick MPEG convertor ?

I can handle the website creation, French translation, and some code.
Old 16th January 2002, 17:33   #26  |  Link
Nic

Just out of interest, ive added auto crop to the resize window (its not really necessary, but I find it useful, it just scans through the present frame and sets the cropping values appropriately

-Nic
Nic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2002, 17:39   #27  |  Link
Julien

Something with :

Open
Pro
Server
Fast
MPEG
Free

Website creation ? Doom9 for English people and Media-Video for French people

I like OpenFrameserver but it's too long... Ofra ?
Old 16th January 2002, 18:53   #28  |  Link
Julien

1. Project Full Name
Ofra, the ultimate frameserver

It's very important and my english is too bad ! Please help me !

3. License

It's very important and my english is too bad ! Please help me !

5. Project Unix Name
ofra

Are you agree with Ofra or not ? If not, my second choice is FastMPEG2AVI ! As you want...

Please tell me
Old 16th January 2002, 21:16   #29  |  Link
Slyde

Julien, I meant the project's website hosted by SourceForge (if there's one), like http://deinterlace.sourceforge.net/ for DScaler project.

OFRa sounds a bit strange and by the way I think the main objective is not to create the best frameserver tool but primarily the fastest encoder providing bicubic resize (as M2A didn't).
Old 17th January 2002, 00:48   #30  |  Link
DmitryR

Why do not you like the DVD2AVI name?

But, if so, I propose MovieBloom. Short name will be MBL.

As to summarization and description I will help you tomorrow.

2NIc: Will you be able to find and incorporate alternative resizer? I digged in the existing one and understood that it will be very hard to professionaly optimize it.
Old 17th January 2002, 01:01   #31  |  Link
Nic

Hiya Dimtry

What alternate resizer do you have in mind, the only two I know (that are any good) are those contained in AviSynth + VDub (& theyre practically the same and already implemented)...

If you know of any others then let me know....

Whats the most common deinterlacer people use anybody know? Im guessing DG's SmartDeinterlacer? Am I write, it looks like Ogo already had an attempt to add it, but I could finish it off...(it will probably be slow as hell to begin with though

Cheers,
-Nic
Old 17th January 2002, 07:57   #32  |  Link
Slyde

MovieBloom isn't bad !
Old 17th January 2002, 10:41   #33  |  Link
Julien

DVD2AVI OE (Open Edition) (eclipse)
SmartDVD2AVI

My favorite one : SAVE (Smart Audio & Video Encoder)
Smart like SmartRipper, Smart Bitrate Control, SmartDeinterlacer, etc.
Save like Save as AVI, Save as WAV, Save as D2V, etc.

Easy to say and very short ! This word is understand by all people over the world. MovieBloom sound great but I don't know this word (bloom) !!

@Slyde : Ok for your requests (website creation, French translation, and some code) You are french so it will be easier for me to work with you ! The only thing I have to do is creating the project and some other stuff.

So, here is the final description (?) :

1. Project Full Name (40 char. max)
MovieBloom, the ulimate encoder.
or
SAVE (Smart Audio & Video Encoder)

This project is based on DVD2AVI (by Loli J.). The objective is to make the fastest encoder providing bicubic resize, deinterlace, 2pass, Lame + Azid, etc. Doom9 (http://www.doom9.org) and Media-video (http://www.media-video.com) are the initiator of this great project. MovieBloom or SAVE will be developped in English and French.

3. License

MovieBloom or SAVE is the fastest and smartest encoder of this world. Based on DVD2AVI, MovieBloom or SAVE inherit of the advantages without the defects. Doom9 (http://www.doom9.org) and Media-video (http://www.media-video.com), the two major site about video compression, are the initiator of this tool. Quality, simplicity and speed are the features of MovieBloom or SAVE.

5. Project Unix Name
moviebloom
or
save

It's not perfect... I need your help to make this description better !! I want to create this project today (if the project is approve then we have to wait 10 days...)

7+
Old 17th January 2002, 16:29   #34  |  Link
trbarry

Quote:
What alternate resizer do you have in mind, the only two I know (that are any good) are those contained in AviSynth + VDub (& theyre practically the same and already implemented)...

If you know of any others then let me know....

Whats the most common deinterlacer people use anybody know? Im guessing DG's SmartDeinterlacer? Am I write, it looks like Ogo already had an attempt to add it, but I could finish it off...(it will probably be slow as hell to begin with though
For some reason I tend to lean toward GreedyHMA for deinterlacing/IVTC.

As far as an alternate resizer, I'm just putting the finishing touches on my SimpleResize filter. This is just a simple 2 tap linear interpolation that is good enough for most downsizing if you don't need filtering and care more about speed. It was easier to write it as an Avisynth filter but it was basically taken from the Avisynth/DVD2AVI shared resize code, though it's diverged somewhat in optimizing. It's a bit faster than the others already and so far it's only MMX code, no SSE2.

Also, I've now got a working P4 (test) version of many of DmitryR's SSE2 optimizations if anyone (Nic?) is interested in merging code with some of the other improvements. (5-10% faster on P4) The previous one had a problem in the Add_Block function that would crash P4 users. Or we could wait for a CVS. Thanks to DmitryR and I hope it's okay to announce this.

Finally, does anyone have a version that can directly merge ac3 sound propoerly with DVD2AVI, keeping correct sync? That's my biggest issue right now and I know very little about audio coding.

- Tom
trbarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2002, 16:55   #35  |  Link
DmitryR

Quote:
Originally posted by Julien
It's not perfect... I need your help to make this description better !! I want to create this project today (if the project is approve then we have to wait 10 days...)
[/B]
I think we can proceed with this ... I am sure that descriptions can be changed in future.
Old 17th January 2002, 18:03   #36  |  Link
Nic

Hi Tom, have you seen that D Graft has released another IVTC avisynth filter recently ? He posted in the avisynth forum....Have you checked it out? & if so what do you think?

If you could send any code you can, ill whack it into DVD2AVI over the weekend. The SSE2 stuff I cant test but I can add it.

Im off to watch Dave Gilmour + Rick Wright in concert....

Cheers,
-Nic
Old 17th January 2002, 19:33   #37  |  Link
int 21h
Still Laughing

Quote:
Originally posted by trbarry

For some reason I tend to lean toward GreedyHMA for deinterlacing/IVTC.

As far as an alternate resizer, I'm just putting the finishing touches on my SimpleResize filter. This is just a simple 2 tap linear interpolation that is good enough for most downsizing if you don't need filtering and care more about speed. It was easier to write it as an Avisynth filter but it was basically taken from the Avisynth/DVD2AVI shared resize code, though it's diverged somewhat in optimizing. It's a bit faster than the others already and so far it's only MMX code, no SSE2.

Also, I've now got a working P4 (test) version of many of DmitryR's SSE2 optimizations if anyone (Nic?) is interested in merging code with some of the other improvements. (5-10% faster on P4) The previous one had a problem in the Add_Block function that would crash P4 users. Or we could wait for a CVS. Thanks to DmitryR and I hope it's okay to announce this.

Finally, does anyone have a version that can directly merge ac3 sound propoerly with DVD2AVI, keeping correct sync? That's my biggest issue right now and I know very little about audio coding.

- Tom
I'd be interested in having working SSE2 code somewhere so that I can implement it into mpeg2dec.dll.
int 21h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2002, 21:41   #38  |  Link
Julien

Done. Reply in 72 hours
Old 17th January 2002, 22:01   #39  |  Link
trbarry

Quote:
Hi Tom, have you seen that D Graft has released another IVTC avisynth filter recently ? He posted in the avisynth forum....Have you checked it out? & if so what do you think
I downloaded it but haven't had a chance to try it out yet. But I had some discussions with him about it a couple weeks ago and it seems he had some very good ideas. Hopefully we can get him over here to also put it in DVD2AVI.

For both you and anyone else with a desire to merge TEST code see the current version of Dmitry's stuff (temporarily) at www.trbarry.com/DVD2AVIT2.zip

But be aware that while in seems to run fine (and faster) on my 1.7 P4 Dmitry says it crashes on his and we don't have any idea why yet.

It would be nice if anyone else could reproduce the problem. Especially someone running under the VS6 IDE.

For anyone playing with this, SSE2 support can be easily turned on an off in the gui.cpp member at the point where it is recognized. Scan there for "SSE2".

So far the changes for SSE2 are: the replacement mmxidct.asm member, a changed Add_Block function and a changed function call to idct in the GetPic.c member and code in gui.cpp to recognize SSE2 and add the menu selection. That last also of course added entries to the resource file and resource.h.

Int 21 -

I hope this works on yours and you can merge it easily. I still use Avisynth a lot and would much like the faster one to frame serve.

- Tom (trbarry @ trbarry.com)
trbarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2002, 00:15   #40  |  Link
Julien

Our project has been approved !

We have to make the team now
Please reply if you are interested. I need some developer, tester, doc translator, etc.

Me, Slyde and eclipsedvd will be project admins