Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > (Auto) Gordian Knot

Old 5th March 2010, 04:33   #1  |  Link
kshawkeye

Lord of the Rings (Extended Edition) Sync Issue

Okay, I have been all over doom9, and prettymuch all over the internet trying to find a solid solution to this, and I apologize if there is one out there that I didn't find, just show me where it's at. After trying to encode The Lord of the Rings (Special Extended DVD Edition) - The Fellowship of the Ring, with Gordian Knot v0.35.0 two times, and running into sync issues with the second half of the movie. The problem is due to combining two DVDs in DGIndex and then a few frames being dropped in the transition from one DVD to the other (at least that's what I believe it might be). So my question is, how can I encode a two part DVD into a single .AVI file, with perfect sync, using Gordian Knot v0.35.0? Thanks so much for anyone's help, and once again, I apologize if there is another forum out there that has covered this, I couldn't personally find it.

EDIT: Oh, and by the way, I ripped the VOBs with DVDFab v6.2.1.8, if that is helpful in any way.

Last edited by kshawkeye; 5th March 2010 at 04:34. Reason: Added more info
kshawkeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2010, 05:36   #2  |  Link
Inspector.Gadget

Tentatively, you're out of luck with doing this unless the delay of the relevant audio stream is zero for both titles and the relevant audio stream is exactly the same length as the video stream, at least for the first title. There is probably a complicated way to fix other cases with delaycut or eac3to, but you'll have to wait for a real audio wizard on that front.
Inspector.Gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2010, 12:53   #3  |  Link
Jom

I had the same problems myself a few years ago. Return of the King was particularly annoying. The audio ran on for 9 frames at the end of the 2nd disk but not the video (or something like that) and it knocked the audio sync out by well over a minute.

trim the audio and video streams on the 1st disk to the same size, but about 13 frames shorter than they are originally. Then add the streams from the 2nd disk.

Thats what I did. It was at a cut point anyway.

EDIT : I should point out I was re-encoding the audio + video anyway, and just piping the avisynth script into neroaac / x264

John.

Last edited by Jom; 5th March 2010 at 12:56.
Jom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2010, 20:40   #4  |  Link
kshawkeye

The audio and video are both in sync when played back separately, its when they are combined that the problem starts. Also, Jom do you mean that I trim the 1st half of the movie in DGIndex 13 frames?
Old 5th March 2010, 21:22   #5  |  Link
Didée

The sync issue of LOTR has been talked about so many times ...

For Fellowship, you need to trim off 13 of the black frames at the end of the 1st disk. (Seems there's one GOP without audio.) Trimming is usually done in the Avisynth script.

Code:
part1 = mpeg2source("disk1.d2v")
part2 = mpeg2source("disk2.d2v")

part1 = part1.trim( 0, framecount(part1)-14 )  ##  yes, "14" will remove the last 13 frames ... (a 1-frame clip has one frame, which has frame number zero)

part1 ++ part2

My little flickr gallery. (Yes indeed, I do have hobbies other than digital video!)
Didée is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2010, 22:06   #6  |  Link
CWR03
Custom User Title

Instead of combining the two disks in DGIndex, trim the end of the first file in DGIndex and encode, trim the beginning of the second file in DGIndex and encode, them merge the two end files. I'll do it myself right now to be sure it'll work.
CWR03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2010, 00:21   #7  |  Link
kshawkeye

"The sync issue of LOTR has been talked about so many times ..." I apologizes for the dual posting, it was not my intent, I just could not find a post that had what I wanted. Also, to be honest, I haven't really worked much with Avisynth, other then the re-size. So I'm kinda lost on what to do to trim those extra 13 frames off? I have my first disk (part 1) all saved up as a .D2V. I open that .D2V in Gordian Knot and do a "Save & Encode". I don't know where the trim feature is, but I'm assuming its in the "Filters" tab, so I open that up. I press the little "+" and try and find something called trim, but I don't see any?
Old 6th March 2010, 00:32   #8  |  Link
CWR03
Custom User Title

There's no trim feature in Gordian Knot. As I said above, it can be done in DGIndex, only before encoding.
Old 6th March 2010, 00:50   #9  |  Link
kshawkeye

Yeah, but after I save the two parts of the film to .d2v, should I encode them to .AVIs? I guess my question is how do I get the two different .D2Vs into a single .D2V without encoding, or if I do encode it, how would I combine them, seeing that DGIndex cant open .AVIs?
Old 6th March 2010, 01:40   #10  |  Link
CWR03
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshawkeye
I guess my question is how do I get the two different .D2Vs into a single .D2V without encoding
You don't; again, you encode the two disks separately after trimming in DGIndex, then combine the two .avi files after you encode them. VirtualDubMod will combine them in direct copy mode without re-encoding again.
Old 6th March 2010, 01:45   #11  |  Link
kshawkeye

Would I still need to trim? Because played separately they have perfect sync, wouldn't encoding them separate take care of the trim problem and I could just combine them then?
Old 6th March 2010, 05:57   #12  |  Link
CWR03
Custom User Title

I'm pretty sure VirtualDubMod will combine the streams within the container and nut just "butt up" the two files that are in sync played separately, so you'll just have the same problem.

I have it running now; disk 2 is midway through the first pass. I just trimmed back one I-frame on each. It's hardly a big deal.
Old 6th March 2010, 06:48   #13  |  Link
kshawkeye

So it's one I-frame that's causing the whole sync issue?!
Old 6th March 2010, 09:05   #14  |  Link
CWR03
Custom User Title

No, it's an audio/video length mismatch. The first two replies here explained it quite well.

My encode worked almost perfectly, but I probably should have cut two I-frames off and not one. The audio is off just the slightest amount off in the second half, almost not even noticeable.
Old 6th March 2010, 09:16   #15  |  Link
kshawkeye

How can you tell the number of I-frames you are trimming off?
Old 6th March 2010, 14:09   #16  |  Link
CWR03
Custom User Title

For each click right or left using the arrow keys.

It wouldn't hurt to trim a couple off the beginning of the movie too since any video without audio in the first part will throw off the second part.
Old 6th March 2010, 17:23   #17  |  Link
ron spencer
DVD Magistrate

I never had sync issues at all. I have encoded via handbrake and autogk

Steps:

1. Use DVD Decrypter in IFO mode, enable stream processing and choose Direct Stream Copy for each disk. This will give you a muxed Mpeg2/AC3 file for each disk

2. Join the two files with MPEG Video Wizard from Womble or Video Redo.

3. Now you have one big muxed MPEG/AC3 file. Encode it with what ever you want...simple and ALWAYS works. You do not need to trim anything.
ron spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2010, 19:36   #18  |  Link
discostupid

I recently had this same issue when I ripped these DVD's. My fix involved using VirtualDub to delay the audio. For the second discs on Two Towers and Return of the King (Fellowship didn't need it for some reason), I used the interleaving option under audio and punched in 500ms and let it run (direct stream copy under video) and when I attached the two files (also using VirtualDub) it came out perfectly. Easy fix, IMO.

EDIT: I originally ripped all movie files with DVD Shrink, and converted them using AGK, in case that makes any difference to anyone

Last edited by discostupid; 10th April 2010 at 19:38.
discostupid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2010, 19:32   #19  |  Link
kis2005

This was my fix: I ripped both discs>used DVD Shrink to combine the two titles>created AVI with AGK. This is the same process I use for all two part movies. Keep in mind that one doesn't want to go over the 2GB size. I also keep a fixed res of 720 with 192VBR MP3 (the audio setting is optional, but plays loud enough for laptop speakers.)
kis2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2019, 17:14   #20  |  Link
Mistaken_Idol

I know this is a very old thread. It may still apply, as it did to me a couple of months ago.

My fix:

Tools:
Handbreak (VLC probably would have worked, it was my next step to try)
- Used handbreak to make initial conversion from DVD Rips but I had change source duration and not include final seconds where there was black screen (only on DVD 1/2 for each movie respectively) and this made all the difference. Even with Fellowship where there wasn't really any blank time, I had to cut the last second.
- For some reason Fellowship video was different dimensions between pt1 & pt2 so I made them both the same because VDub wouldn't combine them otherwise.
- I made sure 9:16 Aspect ratio (optional)
- Ripped lossless to minimize loss from re-encoding (optional)

Audacity (optional step)
- To make the cut off second from Fellowship PT1 file less noticeable I extracted audio from part1 and I edited a sharper fade out of the sound. It's pretty unnoticeable than it was ever cut. I extracted audio from part2 file then appended to the end of first file for one single audio file.

VirtualDub
- I used VDub to combine movies portions (for Fellowship I used audio file I created for audio)
- Worked with lossless files (Optional) I have disc space

It worked!

I did final encode and compression in Handbrake to get subs into final mp4s but that was not part of the solution, it is why only reason I worked with everything lossless though.
Mistaken_Idol is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
combine two dvds