Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 17th February 2012, 18:24   #9161  |  Link
Pat357

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojet View Post
I'm using LAVF to serve avisynth for encoding but I'm noticing blocks with progressive VC-1 with a 9600GT (VP2) cuda enabled, here's a sample.
I used this method to deinterlace interlaced video. I noticed too that the first 2 frames where not perfect, but thought at that time it could be due buffering issues in "directshowsource".
(I used directshowsource with a .grf file, probably you did so too).
The result was fine : I got a progressive video to encode in x264, and I trimmed away the to bad frames in the beginning.
After I bought DGNV (well, did a donation at Neuron), I used this instead ; it can deinterlace too and works for h264/mpeg2/VC1 using CUVID decoding.
This way I don't need any CPU cycles to do the decoding and encoding goes faster.
I don't see any advantage to use LAV for avisynth anymore.
Pat357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2012, 18:57   #9162  |  Link
aufkrawall

LAV video decoder crashes when used via Avisynth DirectShowSource while decoding x264 RGB:

Tested with latest nightly and 0.44.
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2012, 19:04   #9163  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufkrawall View Post
LAV video decoder crashes when used via Avisynth DirectShowSource while decoding x264 RGB:

Tested with latest nightly and 0.44.
Works fine here. Outputs RGB32 like its supposed to.
Old 17th February 2012, 19:04   #9164  |  Link
STaRGaZeR
4:2:0 hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
Seems fine here.
Maybe its a deinterlacing field-order issue? In that case, i couldn't do anything, would have to complain to Eric - but its certainly possible its just encoded with wrong flags.
Nope, it isn't. I tried disabling all deinterlacing and it's still choppy, but this time around 25 fps instead of 50 ofc. The issue goes away if I revert this change: http://git.1f0.de/gitweb?p=lavfsplit...f04d7318f90d18, that's why 0.46 is fine.

Using lastest QS from trunk BTW.
That way, you have xxxx[p|i]yyy, where xxxx is the vertical resolution, yyy is the temporal resolution, and 'i' says the image has been irremediably destroyed.
STaRGaZeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2012, 19:05   #9165  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by STaRGaZeR View Post
Nope, it isn't. I tried disabling all deinterlacing and it's still choppy, but this time around 25 fps instead of 50 ofc. The issue goes away if I revert this change: http://git.1f0.de/gitweb?p=lavfsplit...f04d7318f90d18
Blame Eric then, all i do is use his default settings.
Old 17th February 2012, 19:06   #9166  |  Link
aufkrawall

Quote:
Works fine here. Outputs RGB32 like its supposed to.
It always seems to crash at the same position.
Is there a chance to get more debug data and send it to you?
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2012, 19:14   #9167  |  Link
mkanet

For some reason my media player (SageTV) wont playback a video media file at all if there's a subtitle stream embedded in the mkv or m2ts file.

So basically, any media file that causes the "Internal Script Command Renderer" filter to connect the LAV Splitter's Subtitle pin, my media player will just not playback the media file. I have no idea why; and, there's no way to fix this in the player since it doesn't have subtitle support.

Is there any way for me to disable the LAV Splitter's Subtitle pinout permanently? If I ever need to play a media file with subtitles, I just use TMT 5.
mkanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2012, 19:16   #9168  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkanet View Post
For some reason my media player (SageTV) wont playback a video media file at all if there's a subtitle stream embedded in the mkv or m2ts file.

So basically, any media file that causes the "Internal Script Command Renderer" filter to connect the LAV Splitter's Subtitle pin, my media player will just not playback the media file. I have no idea why; and, there's no way to fix this in the player since it doesn't have subtitle support.
Update to 0.46, it should be fixed.
Old 17th February 2012, 19:24   #9169  |  Link
STaRGaZeR

Quote:
Blame Eric then, all i do is use his default settings.
But you did override the default settings before to make things run fine

Anyway I confirmed it, QS default is 16, choppy. 8 is fine. He changed it in r39. Reporting
That way, you have xxxx[p|i]yyy, where xxxx is the vertical resolution, yyy is the temporal resolution, and 'i' says the image has been irremediably destroyed.
Old 17th February 2012, 19:30   #9170  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by STaRGaZeR View Post
But you did override the default settings before to make things run fine
That was before he changed the settings to make that property independent from the timestamp setting.
There is also a slight problem there, reducing it back to 8 cuts quite a bit into H264 performance. Maybe it should be dependent on the codec? Anyhow, i'll let Eric add that logic in the decoder.

Last edited by nevcairiel; 17th February 2012 at 19:34.
nevcairiel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2012, 20:07   #9171  |  Link
mkanet

Thanks for the quick reply. BTW, just now, I added ffdshow's subtitle functionality via YV12 raw video. I am not at home right now (did this via RDP). I'm pretty sure this will allow me to have subtitle support even if SageTV doesn't support subtitles. I think I can even map subtitle options to my SageTV remote control (using Girder) if ffdshow supports hotkeys.

I just one one more question:
How do I configure LAV Splitter to ONLY and automatically display English subtitles during non-english speaking parts of the movie. I don't want to see subtitles for any other circumstance unless I manually change the setting. Did I configure it correctly below?

Quote:
Update to 0.46, it should be fixed.
mkanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2012, 20:19   #9172  |  Link
STaRGaZeR

Quote:
That was before he changed the settings to make that property independent from the timestamp setting.
There is also a slight problem there, reducing it back to 8 cuts quite a bit into H264 performance. Maybe it should be dependent on the codec? Anyhow, i'll let Eric add that logic in the decoder.
Ah yes, idd . I think Eric is really pushing the speed thingy. The number of queues seems to affect both performance and stability, the need for different settings for different formats might just be hidding a bigger problem in how the whole thing is handled.
Old 17th February 2012, 20:33   #9173  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Well the big difference for Live TV is that data isn't readily available when you need it, so the decoder has to be able to process every frame without much delay. With file-based playback, this isn't required, because you will always have enough data to completely fill the decoders queues, which smoothes out any spikes it may produce.

Maybe Eric did do some too drastic changes there.
Old 17th February 2012, 20:42   #9174  |  Link
Pat357

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanezhiling View Post
Just looks pretty in PP.
Ignore me, ignore me.
Just try to play an i444 (AYUV, NV24) or even better an Y410 (10 bit 4:4:4) file in PP with MadVR : PP crashes like hell !
I currently stopped using PP until this is fixed.
I you see in filters, there is always some "filter adapter" between Lav-video and MadVR.
My guess it that this thing can't handle 4:4:4, but there's no way to get rid of this, while it's completely obsolete there as it serves no function.
Old 17th February 2012, 21:46   #9175  |  Link
Pat357

Nev,

Is there a difference between the normal DXVA mode and DXVA copy back (besides copying frames of course) ?
I ask because I have something bizarre :
Do you remember that I had "green" screens on certain files with DVXA-CB (282.62 driver) ?
Well I am still on this driver (did not update) and with the normal DXVA mode, these files play just fine !!
I did try again with DXVA-CB --> all green screens.
normal DXVA -> all play OK !!
Each time I checked that DXVA was "active" and only for one file fall-back to softw happened, but for all other files DXVA was "active".

So this brings me to wonder whether the 285.36 driver is really the cause of the green screens.
Why can DXVA play these files while DXVA-CB can not ?
In fact i'm far more interested in DXVA-CB because of MadVR.

Can you please check why DXVA-CB fails and DXVA does not ?

Until now I mostly use CUVID for interlaced stuff (excellent deinterlacing, especially for VC1 as there is no "good" softw alternative.. oh, I forgot WM DMO, but...you know.. ).
For progressive content I mostly use SW because my of my very fast CPU. Also using CUVID puts my GTX-570 in highest power-state and as you know this is a serious overkill and very inefficient way just to watch some progressive video.
My CPU stays below 10% even for H264 1080p@60fps with 16 refs.

Last edited by Pat357; 17th February 2012 at 21:54.
Old 17th February 2012, 21:52   #9176  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat357 View Post
Can you please check why DXVA-CB fails and DXVA does not ?
While i had that driver installed, i even tested Microsofts DXVA codec, and it too failed (black instead of green, but i can easily make it black if you wish)
Its just a driver bug, install another one if you want to use DXVA-CB. Not really worth spending my limited time on.

Debugging why DXVA fails is impossible, its a closed API, and only the driver developers could potentially tell you whats going on.

Last edited by nevcairiel; 17th February 2012 at 21:57.
Old 17th February 2012, 22:05   #9177  |  Link
Mercury_22

Nev can you add an ini file for settings (like with MPC-HC) cause this way it will be more easy to test different settings (SW DXVA DXVA-CB...) or even use different settings for x64 & x86 builds or ... make LAV "portable"
Old 17th February 2012, 22:07   #9178  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury_22 View Post
Nev can you add an ini file for settings (like with MPC-HC) cause this way it will be more easy to test different settings (SW DXVA DXVA-CB...) or even use different settings for x64 & x86 builds or ... make LAV "portable"
This seems like a bad idea. Too many headaches involved for a mostly useless feature.
No offense intended.
Old 17th February 2012, 22:17   #9179  |  Link
Mercury_22

Quote:
This seems like a bad idea. Too many headaches involved for a mostly useless feature.
No offense intended.
Ok !
I was thinking to test the new DXVA but I was also trying to find a solution not to crash my system in case of bug since there are not separate settings (trying to test the new dxva only with the x86 version since the x64 version can crash explorer in case of a bug ...(like the last time )
Old 17th February 2012, 22:18   #9180  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Explorers thumbnail thingy will never use a hardware decoder (not anymore, anyway)
I might separate 32 and 64-bit some time in the future, not sure yet if i want to.

Last edited by nevcairiel; 17th February 2012 at 22:20.

Tags
decoders, directshow, filters, splitter