Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Announcements and Chat > General Discussion

Old 13th December 2020, 21:19   #241  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

With Sinclair ZX81, never had any compulsary auto update nonsense.
[And the Server 2019 VHD turned out to be ~8.4GB, not 11.0GB, lousy memory]

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???
StainlessS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2020, 22:43   #242  |  Link
feisty2
I'm Siri

any luck with srvr19?
feisty2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2020, 00:01   #243  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Not had time to try it yet F2, probably some time still before I can get to it.
We will get there eventually.

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???

Last edited by StainlessS; 17th December 2020 at 15:04.
Old 17th December 2020, 15:01   #244  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

My problems imaging Linux with Macrium Relfect seem not to be related to the linux non clean shutdown I was experiencing,
looks like its Macrium Relfect v7.2.5107 problems screwing up the linux partition, seems that it restores the image with
size of partition on disk bigger than specified in the MBR [Superblock as termed via linux].

Maybe its already known problem, I know there is at least one newer version, gonna try that.

EDIT:
I suspected that it may be connected to either mint 20 or my use of ext4 file system, so reinstalled
mint 20 on ext2 filesystem, and after booting a few times without any changes/updates, images partition and
the wrote image back to partition, once without MBR update from image, and then with MBR update, both failed.
Macrioum Reflect at fault.
System before imaging was not showing shutdown problems so exonerated Mint 20 as prob.

EDIT: On current Macrium Reflect Release note, no sign of linux partition bugfix unless this is it.

Quote:
Various minor fixes and changes to improve Macrium Reflect.
But has been a few versions since 7.2 I was using. [My prob using USB boot Macrium Reflect]

http://updates.macrium.com/reflect/v...ls7.3.5365.htm
Quote:
Bug fixes and Improvements v7.3.5365 - 26th November 2020

Macrium Task Scheduler
Scheduling a backup to run as a specific user would sometimes prevent the Power Saving options from working correctly. This has been resolved.
Under certain circumstances, restarting Macrium Service would cause the Macrium Task Scheduler to stop running for around a minute. This has been resolved.
Schedule start dates can no longer be set later than the year 2999.
File and Folder Backup
Deleting a backed up folder and creating a file with the same name as the deleted folder mid backup set could cause a File and Folder backup set to fail to load. This has been resolved.
Changed Block Tracker
We've changed Windows event ID 13 - "IOCTL_MRCBT_QUERY_VOLUME_TRACKING_INFORMATION failed on device" to be Informational.
Exchange backup
Exchange backup was not checking for missing DB files to ensure a DB was available for backup. This has been resolved.
Mixed case database filename extensions could cause databases to not be backed up. This has been resolved.
Various
Various minor fixes and changes to improve Macrium Reflect.

Bug fixes and Improvements v7.3.5321 - 3rd November 2020

Macrium Task Scheduler
If a scheduled backup was missed without the option 'Run the task as soon as possible after a scheduled task is missed' enabled, then the Run Now button would stop working until the PC was restarted. This has been resolved.
Scheduled backups running on startup were starting too quickly, without giving network connections time to initialise. This has been resolved.
The Macrium Task Scheduler now keeps extra copies of its internal configuration files to prevent failure on corruption.
When trying to import a scheduled task with a definition file path that doesn't exist, Reflect will now prompt to Browse for a different definition file.
Rescue Media Builder
The Windows Version of the WinRE kernel could be incorrectly displayed. This has been resolved.
Reflect Monitor
ReflectMonitor.exe could fail to launch at logon and prevent notification of running backups. This has been resolved.
Backup Log
A Consolidation 'Warning' error could override a 'Failure' error for a backup and incorrectly display a Warning icon instead of Error. This has been resolved.
License Key
We've added 'copy' functionality for the license key displayed in the About dialog

Bug fixes and Improvements v7.3.5289 - 16th October 2020

Changed Block Tracker
On some systems, CBT could execute the wrong notification handler in response to a malformed notification. This could result in the following bug checks: MULTIPLE_IRP_COMPLETE_REQUESTS, KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE or ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY. This has now been resolved.
Macrium Task Scheduler
Scheduled VBScript files could fail with error code 0xC1 instead of running. This has been resolved.
The German language UI scheduled backups context menu could cause a program exception. This has been resolved.

Bug fixes and Improvements v7.3.5283 - 15th October 2020

Changed Block Tracker
When removing a USB attached storage device, an APC_INDEX_MISMATCH BSoD could be generated if there was an outstanding kernel lock on the device. This has been resolved.

Initial Macrium Reflect v7.3 Public Release v7.3.5281 - 14th October 2020

We recommend all users upgrade to this release.

Initial v7.3 Release
Please see this KB article for more information on what's included.
Changed Block Tracker
After performing a restore of a non-system volume for which CBT had been enabled, CBT could become disabled on that volume and would not re-enable until the system had been restarted. This has been resolved.
Email Notifications
We've enhanced OpenSSL integration and upgraded to 1.1.1h to address any potential security concerns.

Last edited by StainlessS; 17th December 2020 at 15:35.
Old 1st January 2021, 09:10   #245  |  Link
Katie Boundary

Quote:
Originally Posted by feisty2 View Post
I would recommend using Windows Server 2019 as a modern desktop OS.

- You're able to run the latest version of any program, it shares the same kernel with Windows 10.
- There is no UWP nonsense, it's fully optimized for desktop experience.
- There is no Microsoft account nonsense, the Administrator account is available to you by default.
- There is no UAC, everything runs with admin privileges.
- Updates are automatically downloaded but NOT automatically installed, and there's certainly no automatic restart.
(In fact you're required to manually specify a reason if you ever want to shutdown or restart the computer, but that could be turned off in group policy.)

EDIT:
plus it looks a lot prettier than win10 with aero enabled.
What about the Classic theme/skin? Can Server 2019 be set to the Classic theme/skin?
Old 7th January 2021, 21:23   #246  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Well I finally went back to W10H_x64 1709 and it feels quite nice.
I used NLite:- https://www.nliteos.com/
to remove Windows Defender anti virus whotsit [left firewall alone] and all of the XBOX stuff now gone,
also got rid of CandyCrush (game I think) and maybe Solitaire collection + other stuff.
Also removed Search and the Indexing stuff, and quite a lot more. [EDIT: Actually I left Search alone]

Replaced Win Defender AV with Comodo which I can disable when I want to (when offline which it will usually be).

Config of NLite took quite some time, lots of options to remove/disable the nasties.

Still got some way to go in getting it how I want it but for now a lot less agro than previously.

Also Installed Win Server 2019 [EDIT: 180 day Evaluation, as per Feisty suggestion] (Desktop Experienece - not default Standard with is command line based).
I'll probably delete 2019 at some point as W10 is feelin' pretty tasty, will also want to find best anti-update utility to tame it altogether.
[EDIT: 1709 does not get updates, but does get updates for eg DOT NET or non 1709 stuff. But, need to stop Feature Updates to eg 20H2]

Also gonna strip down ISO for my 2 tablet/laptop thingies, gonna be less of a hog on storage mmc and generally nicer.

EDIT: NLite edits Windows setup ISO and removes/configs features, writes new slimmer ISO.

EDIT: Added Open Shell (Old name Classic Shell) and got back my QuickLaunch bar, much better than that Pinned to Taskbar stuff.

EDIT:
Here showing Open Shell start menu(Classic classic, not XP classic), Standard Win10 StartMenu available at top of classic start menu.
QuickLaunch, NetSpeedMonitor (U/D speed counter for WiFi/LAN, taskBar RHS), clock time with seconds counter,
Operating System Name shown on desktop.
Control Panel, Administrator Tools, and GodMode shown on Top RHS desktop (GodMode, loads of admin config options in single place).

EDIT: This is great, laugh-out-aloud funny (Burglar accidentally sits on phone and calls the cops, 3 arrested):-
https://metro.co.uk/2021/01/08/burgl...hone-13870850/

Last edited by StainlessS; 18th January 2021 at 11:29.
Old 17th January 2021, 17:20   #247  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

W10
Well, M$ utility to Hide some Updates dont work for that long, feature updates switch back on next time you check for updates,
or switch back on all by themselves every so often.

So, I found a registry fix to Freeze at (for me I choose) 1709, is supposed to never update past chosen update.
Have just installed to registry on W10 HOME 1709, reboot, and check for updates, and found updates for
windows defender, and some cumulative security update, BUT NO post 1709 Feature update, so looking good so far.
Did test on my W10 x86 tablet which was trying to install 20H2 last week until I went Airplane mode and deleted all files in
Windows\SoftwareDistribution\ folder and rebooted.

Here is page outlining Reg fix (Also has GpEdit.msc group policy setting for same [Pro+ Only].
https://www.askvg.com/tip-force-wind...pdate-version/

He is my .REG file for freezing at 1709 [simple edit to freeze at some other Feature Update].

Freeze_FeatureUpdates_At_1709.reg
Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate]
"TargetReleaseVersion"=dword:00000001
"TargetReleaseVersionInfo"="1709"
Need to Reboot for above to take effect. NOTE Above "1709" is feature version number to freeze at.

And to Un-Freeze, [removes entries added in above .reg]
UnFreeze_FeatureUpdates.reg
Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate]
"TargetReleaseVersion"=-
"TargetReleaseVersionInfo"=-
So above [1st .reg file] should stop Feature updates for me, and not affect other updates.
I'll also get some control over other updates but am now well happy that the major annoyances will (hopefully) be a thing of the past.

EDIT: Only Freeze Feature Updates if you are SURE that its what you want. [I'm real sure]

EDIT: NOTE, 1709 gets no new security updates since some time in 2019 [2 years after 1709, about 1909], does however get new DOT NET + CPP runtimes, Windows Defender and such, ie not 1709 specific updates.
In exceptional cases, if real bad security flaw [eg Spectre malware], may get a security update.

Last edited by StainlessS; 18th January 2021 at 11:47.
Old 20th January 2021, 04:56   #248  |  Link
bilditup1

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessS View Post
Standard Win10 StartMenu available at top of classic start menu
Is this a feature of Open-Shell or...?
bilditup1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2021, 09:01   #249  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Yes, feature of Open Shell, its the option at the top of the classic menu, see the image [so long as you don't switch it off in settings].
It shows the standard Windows 10 start menu, temporarily [one time].
Open shell has MANY options to control its appearance, I choose to have it close to the old Win 95 as I dont like that
gross plastic/metallic Amiga Demo style look that everybody else seem to think is cool.

OpenShell config settings [one of the settings tabs]:

EDIT:
Clicking on Standard Win10 StartMenu

But how it normally looks [with my settings] without clicking Standard Win10 Start Menu

You can set it up like my classic Classic settings, or eg XP Classic, or Win7 classic or some other.

EDIT:
Un-believable, guy stops on M1 [busiest motorway in UK] Fast (overtaking) Lane, to take a leak.
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/137903...-video-m1-wee/

EDIT: No milk today. Baby nurse shark just wanted to nurse.
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/137935...-shark-nipple/

Last edited by StainlessS; 20th January 2021 at 13:45.
Old 20th January 2021, 16:19   #250  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

I came across this on my travels, maybe of use to some:- https://gist.github.com/AveYo/c74dc7...eationtool-bat

On GitHub, is a tool [bat command file] to download pretty much any version of MicroSoft MediaCreationTool for Windows 10.

To get the bat file, scroll down to the Pretty version of MediaCreationTool.bat , and click on RAW button on right hand side of screen,
Select All, and Copy/Paste into file MediaCreationTool.bat.

What it looks like when run

If choosing eg 1709, then can from inside the downloaded MediaCreationTool.Exe [all downloaded versions are named similarly]
choose the version of 1709, ie x86, x64, language, maybe Home/Pro etc, and whether want ISO or USB result.

Best to maybe edit name give version info eg MediaCreationTool_1709.Exe or whatever.

EDIT:
And here HeiDoc.Net which has a utility to reveal a valid for 24 hours Microsoft Direct link to ISO,
and some direct links for Office, and some Dell ISO's + other stuff.
Latest release date Jan 2021, v8.46.
(Gives you the links, so you can see they are direct from M$, before copy and download link)

EDIT: The reason why you should never use a 'Stock Cube' that you find in the Australian desert:- https://metro.co.uk/2021/01/29/womba...-why-13986635/

Last edited by StainlessS; 29th January 2021 at 16:04.
Old 5th March 2021, 00:26   #251  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

I did a setup ISO for W10H 1709 (x86 & x64), but because of recent 'snow blindness' eye probs, I decided
to switch to something after 1809 {think that was version where Dark Mode for W10 was partially implemented - Control Panel and *.msc stuff, still Light mode]
Here are settings I used for 1909 [these settings for DeskTop, I may remove additional for Tablet/Laptop ISO using this edited ISO as starting point - May also make machine specific ISO using this ISO and adding target machine drivers]

1909 also still gets updates for a further 6 months [not sure if that is a plus or minus].

Here my NtLite settings, [If in doubt, dont remove component or use the setting - I am removing Win defender and SmartScreen - Comodo Antivirus for me].
NOTE, MY SYSTEM is gonna be mostly OffLine, you may NOT want same setup as me.

EDIT: CODE BLOCK REMOVED [some edits to the ISO caused problems]

EDIT: Most of above in Settings: could be skipped, as can change inside live Windows settings, but might still want to skip installion
of various Apps [although some options are hidden deep in settings [seems almost disguised so you cant find them - Privacy apps later in post can easy config some of above]. Most/all of the stuff in Settings: Privacy: are sent to M$ if not disabled. Comodo has its own version of SmartScreen which is easy on/off-able. Window Defender (especially after 1909) is designed to inhibit your ability to stop M$ spyware,
Comodo has no such problem - Apps later in post for Privacy and Window Update taming might be enough for you (esp if 1909 or earlier).

Above just a few options used, there are gazillions more. [Suggest avoid selecting any from the Features section, which may request a disk with the feature]
Above Pre-Installed Apps Disabled, is probably the one that disables OneDrive + other MS apps, Word etc (I use Libre Office).
EDIT: Or maybe its this one: Automatically Install suggested Apps (I dont want them whatever they are [EDIT: this one probably apps download from MS Store]). I dont use OneDrive, dont need no optional spyware- I should really disable MS store, but I do use one (bus/tube) app from there when mobile.
Many of the settings have hints/brief descriptions in NtLite

NtLite [Win setup ISO editor, W7+ Version of NLite for XP]:- https://www.ntlite.com/
NtLite, High level Docs (brief docs):- https://www.ntlite.com/documentation/
NtLite Guides:- https://www.ntlite.com/support/
NtLite Forums:- https://www.ntlite.com/community/index.php

Can Add Drivers to your NtLite ISO for easy setup every time
[after first backup of drivers on existing W10 installation for your LIVE target machine]
(Point it at the Driver backup Folder you create using this link)
https://www.thewindowsclub.com/expor...ing-powershell
See NtLite guides for adding drivers, if necessary.
EDIT: The Pay-For version of NtLite can (apparently) config & remove components from a live installation - I aint ever tried that.
NtLite, Also has section for Sys Admin Unattended setup stuff.

Optional FREE stuff ::::::

Comodo Internet Security download[AV and/or Firewall, Default both]:- https://forums.comodo.com/news-annou...t126694.0.html
I use the OffLine Installer [a real good idea if you dont got no firewall/anti virus - Above config keeps FireWall, I disable it after Comodo setup].
Comodo, forum root:- https://forums.comodo.com/
Comodo CIS (Comodo Internet Security) forum:- https://forums.comodo.com/comodo-int...ty-cis-b125.0/
Comodo Offline malware signature DataBase:- https://www.comodo.com/home/internet...p/database.php
[Can import full Offline Database, via Comodo About dilog box]
[Can make backup of current DataBase by copying eg "C:\ProgramData\Comodo\Cis\signatures\b0033315.cav" where "b0033315" is verson]
Current *.cav file size is about 550MB.
Cav DBase is updated several times per day[internet server version, you can set your update frequency yourself], update takes about 90 seconds including re-creating current updated DataBase with new version number [old one deleted].
You can submit suspect samples to Comodo suggesting eg "False +ve", and Comodo will examine and whitelist if found safe. M$ only whitelists if author pays them to certify an app [makes for a bigger pay day, no cash reward for good anti-malware].
Can opt to use Comodo Secure DNS during CIS install, instead of ISP dns.
Comodo CIS is free, unless you want 24/7 support.
Comodo, is one of the biggest security certificate issuers in the world.
Comodo CyberSecurity - Wikipedia:- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comodo_Cybersecurity
Comodo Internet Security - Wikipedia:- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comodo_Internet_Security

Windows AutoUpdate Tamers :::
Windows AutoUpdate Manager [Posted by BetA13]:- https://www.carifred.com/wau_manager/
stopupdates10 [Posted by Gonca]:- https://greatis.com/stopupdates10/
[Maybe checkout both and see which you like]
Freeze Feature Updates at 1709 [Edit the reg file for 1909 : both above can probably do this already]:- https://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php...&postcount=247

Privacy/AntiSpy: [Posted by Gonca]
O&O ShutUp10:- https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10
(version OOSU10_(1.8.1414.283.exe Last version which can disable Windows Defender with 1909 - reg Key functionality removed for 20H1, and so removed from OOSU10. This also suggests that Windows Defender CANNOT be totally disabled in 20H1 and later - We removed it altogether in above settings, it may not be possible to remove it cleanly in 20H1+)
Windows Privacy Tweaker:- https://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/...-Tweaker.shtml
Have a look at both, and decide which you fancy [I think both above run without install].

Plenty other stuff in this thread.

EDIT: You can download a load of Win10/Win7 etc ISOs direct from MS [or Dell] servers using stuff in previous post,
MS links from HeiDoc are valid for 24 hours only [stop people posting links on webpages - MS limitation not HeiDoc].
EDIT: Here:- https://www.heidoc.net/joomla/techno...-download-tool

There are more versions available, is limited by displayed box size, earliest is at least 1511.

1909_Dark [Guess I could change Open Shell Menu menus too (Classic Shell update)]
[Security item gone in settings Update & Security, we removed Windows Defender - Firewall settings via Control Panel]

Using original Win 10 start menu [Via above image menu top item Start Menu (Windows)]

Last edited by StainlessS; 25th July 2021 at 17:10.
Old 3rd April 2021, 18:51   #252  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Well, I finally tried out W8.1.
I thought that I must have used it before but, I can say with 100.0% certainty that I had not [had not tried W8 either if its anything like 8.1].
I got a 7 inch tablet with W8.1 on it a few days ago, god what a mess, I keep looking for the back and home style buttons of Android,
but no, nowhere in sight, its a bit bizarre. Still I may keep it on 8.1 for use in pub [nice pocket size "Linx 7"], and also grabbed a nifty
little 5 inch [EDIT: 6 inch] pocket keyboard with touchpad. 2.4GHz dedicated dongle and also Bluetooth connection, and it also uses same battery as my
Zealot headphones, I had a spare so I've replaced the Nokia BL-5B [used in about a dozen Nokia phones] of 700mAH with a 1200mAH, 700mAH is supposed to get 41 hours of use [without backlight] so 1200 should be somewhat better. Only had the keyboard a couple of days but I'm well happy with it so far,
here it is [Rii i4 mini]:- https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=rii+i4&...f=nb_sb_noss_2
Nearly got this one instead, with laser pointer [no idea why] Rii X1 mini:- https://www.amazon.co.uk/Portable-Bl...ronics&sr=1-12
Watch out you dont get the laser pointer one on amazon.co.uk that is listed as £199.99 [linked one is same device but as £16.99, bit of a difference].
Anyway, I gonna get to experience the joys of windows 8.1, covid and 8.1, will play havoc with my sanity

EDIT: Heres the keyboard thingy [Rii i4], is brill. [click for bigger, the orange bits are mouse buttons, red is scrolly thing, touchpad top middle, cursor keys where "OK" in middle. 6 inch wide, EDIT: UK qwerty layout, lots of Russian layout bluetooth KeyB on amazon.co.uk for some unknown reason]

EDIT: The dedicated dongle makes the keyb work on pretty much all devices that will take a USB keyboard and mouse,
so long as you can plug in a full size standard USB type A male, I have to use a USB type A to microUSB adapter to
get it to work on Link 7 tablet, [only has micro usb] preboot to get into UEFI firmware [because bluetooth aint available outside of OS].
EDIT: I got the £18.99 Rii i4 mini, the 2019 Upgrade one is I think the exact same device at £39.88, but not sure.
EDIT: The Rii K01X1 at bottom of page at £50.99 is [I think] the same device as the Rii X1 mini at £16.99, but the expensive one is WITHOUT the laser pointer [lots of chancers/conmen on amazon and e-bay].
EDIT: Also, think the X1 mini with laser pointer has no dongle so bluetooth only [I'm not sure though, you may have to research that].

EDIT: Youtube
Rii i4 mini:- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-tg5FZayXY
Rii X1 mini:- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7l-fSS6Z8I
Ths guy in the X1 mini video says it only has a dongle and no blue tooth, and no laser pointer, so theres a bit of confusion
somewhere, suggest that you do research it [at least check the description on amazon or wherever].
EDIT: Looks like he may be correct, heres Riitek site anyway:- http://www.riitek.com/product/mini.html
the one I pointed to does have the laser and is bluetooth [whatever model it is].
EDIT: Model:- UK RT-MWK02

EDIT:Another Rii i4 clip [the one I've got], he points out a couple of isses with the device, his is the 2019 update version, I see
no difference to the one that I have, so assume that I have the 2019 ver$ too. [EDIT: not an unboxing, is after having and using it for several weeks]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WXXNclWk4s

EDIT: And the Linx 7 tablet which I paid £30 quid for [not retail boxed but still had plastic film on the display, could not tell it from brand new]
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...Windows+tablet
[Not amazon].

Last edited by StainlessS; 4th April 2021 at 15:00.
Old 4th April 2021, 15:10   #253  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Further to above,
This guy is not what you could call a fan of the Linx 7, nor windows 8.1,
[The Linx 7 - And The Downfall of Windows 8 Tablets]:- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNU7f4vwo1w
In above clip, he implies that Linx 7 screen is plastic, dont think mine is. I've got a plastic screen android device,
it aint nuttin like that, and is colder than the rest of tablet, maybe they upgraded tablet to glass in later version of Linx 7.
And here, a candid insight into a view of new user of windows 8.0 [Love this one]
[ Mum tries out Windows 8 -2012 ]:- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ujmDrcKWo8
Think I'm still gonna stick to W8.1 on linx, at least for the moment, will probably make image of 8.1 [with factory reset partition],
and try out W10 on it. W8.1 has one major advantage in that it dont auto update at all, probably most influence on my decision as to final OS
I will use on Linx 7. [EDIT: Although new updates for W8.1 will be extremely rare anyways - certainly has less telemetry]
Despite above clip review, I still kinda like the Linx 7, and cheap enough to chuck it about without worrying whether or not you'll havta buy another.
I do love my Linx 10 10 inch with Windows 10, [updates tamed and other fixes] its built like a tank [when keyboard attached and closed] and has survived multiple drops, one onto ceramic floor in pub toilet, gonna get another one probably for spare when I do demolish current one. My Chuwi 10 inch Hi10 Pro 4GB x64 with W10 and Android 5.0, is lovely, but a bit delicate [screen breaks easily], so for pub use I will mostly use the near indestructible Linx 10 [even though W10 x86 with 2GB ram]. [And Linx 7 for pocket use]

EDIT: And a bit of info for you, the [supposed] most prevalent cause of broken laptop screen is user closing laptop with a pen on keyboard,
it dont quite close so you give it a harder push and SMASH, dead screen. [probably when you are distracted, talking to someone]

Last edited by StainlessS; 5th April 2021 at 22:29.
Old 10th April 2021, 23:53   #254  |  Link
Katie Boundary

Okay but is the Classic theme/skin available for Server 2019 or does it force you to suffer with Metro just like Win10 does?
Old 11th April 2021, 19:07   #255  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

I dont have 2019 installed at the moment, so far as I remember its just a classic style interface, something like
W2K maybe [with most w2k fancy rubbish switched off], no nonsense metro or anything like it on a server install.

Silly GUI stuff is just for the clients. [Server is a non-nonsense serious work horse, not a play thing for kids]

EDIT: 2019 option 1 install is for CLI based server control only. [you probably dont want this, unless you want to use as a server with command line expert remote admin of it]
Option 2 setup, is for install of GUI. Probably more to my taste than W10, W8.0/8.1/ W7 or Vista clients.
EDIT: And so far as I could see, no mosterous telemetry octopus to wrestle with [as there is with W10 client].

Last edited by StainlessS; 11th April 2021 at 21:26.
Old 16th April 2021, 12:09   #256  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Seems that windows 10 File Explorer is getting an update, not a functional update which might have made me think about
moving from 1909, but is only an Icon update, bit of tinkering around the edges instead of fixing the glaring problems with it.
Windows 10 is getting new File Explorer icons as part of a visual overhaul:- https://www.theverge.com/2021/3/24/2...-system-update

EDIT:
Also, Windows 10 Timeline thingy, is going away [never used it myself].
https://www.theverge.com/2021/4/14/2...ndroid-removed

Last edited by StainlessS; 16th April 2021 at 13:16.
Old 17th April 2021, 18:29   #257  |  Link
feisty2
I'm Siri

win10 is getting fuglier and fuglier, I can barely stand it
I mean seriously, what the hell is this???

Old 18th April 2021, 13:39   #258  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder

Yeah, the design change annoys me too, but I don't wanna use any third party UI changer 'cause I know dodgy-Windows and I'm 100% sure those things will break spectacularly after an update (sooner or later), so I'm pretty much at default in the sense that I've changed everything and disabled annoyances but only using options available inside Windows 10 and officially supported by Microsoft...

High res pictures here: Windows 10 Enterprise - Windows XP Professional

Last edited by FranceBB; 18th April 2021 at 13:45.
FranceBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2021, 14:20   #259  |  Link
feisty2
I'm Siri

I just hate whatever cheap paper/plastic look that seems to be the main design language of xp and win10, I WANT ALL THINGS TRANSPARENT AND GLASSY!!!
Old 18th April 2021, 14:33   #260  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Quote:
I know dodgy-Windows and I'm 100% sure those things will break spectacularly after an update (sooner or later)
The way windows and menus and such behave, is pretty well documented, and so much software relies on that so M$ would be
making a huge [suicidal] mistake to change things now. some Open Source utilities have their own way of doing things
[window, listbox, etc] type structures, but that is usually to do with being cross platform [I'm guessin'].
Classic Shell [later Open Shell, now Open-Shell-Menu] is pretty safe and used by Millions [incl me], and in the case of W10, allows
access to both W10 menus and more traditional less exasperating menus.
Open-Shell-Menu:- https://github.com/Open-Shell/Open-Shell-Menu/releases

And some alternatives:- https://alternativeto.net/software/classicshell/

EDIT:
Quote:
I WANT ALL THINGS TRANSPARENT AND GLASSY!!!
Nuttin' like that good ol' W95 feel [without Plasticy Glassy, naff look].

Last edited by StainlessS; 18th April 2021 at 14:35.