Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage

Old 27th September 2006, 18:26   #201  |  Link
nibbles

It was probably user error the way I didn't set the max height
and max width of the preview window to enable scroll bars rather
than let the preview window, when zooming, overrun the sliders.
Having done a bunch of layout in Java, I understand what you
mean when the code gets complex. Thanks for discussing
aspect ratios in the preview versus in a seperate application.
Your suggestion of having the preview be unaltered is the
better way to go, yes. The option to zoom seemed like the
option to adjust aspect ratios, that's all I was thinking.

I have a runtime issue with 1.1.6. I unzip a fresh copy.
Avsp is installed in: C:\Program Files (x86)\AvsP
Avisynth is in: C:\Program Files\AviSynth 2.5.7RC1
I click Options -> Settings...
I click the OK button.
I get an error popup:
Attached Images

nibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2006, 20:42   #202  |  Link
qwerpoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisq View Post
another idea: aspect ratio information on the status bar would be handy
I should be able to do it, but it would be a little tricky. In other words it's trivial to show the decimal width divided by height, but I assume that people would want to see 16:9 or 4:3 when appropriate. I'm not much of an aspect ratio guru, so (a) I don't know all the "key" aspect ratios, and (b) I don't know how much tolerance is acceptable (ie, does 1.35 still count as 4:3). If someone can point out a link, great, otherwise I'll try and implement it showing the width/height decimal only.

Edit: Looks like doom9's aspect ratio page had all the info I needed. I implemented the feature, great stuff, especially handy with the crop editor! I'll try to get the new release out in a couple of days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champs View Post
1)
Regarding the "Ctrl+G jump-to-frame" feature request made by niiyan, I have been using the box at the bottom, but my request would be to have a shortcut key(s) to shift focus (cursor/prompt) into the box. IMHO what's nice about "Ctrl+G" feature of VDub/AviUtl/MPC is that the cursor is already in the box so no need to move and click a mouse to set a prompt there. If you could assign "Ctrl+G" to such a task that'd be great as I'm so used to it, but since you just added the Shift-Tab shortcut to switch focus b/w text editor and video pane, maybe a similar key combo would be aesthetically preferred by you, I don't know...in any case having a shortcut key will be very helpful.
Hah, I was thinking the same thing. I'll use Ctrl-G since everyone who uses AviSynth is used to vdub. It'll be in the next release.
Quote:
2)
Speaking of Shift-Tab, I have been using Ctrl+Tab to switch tabs and this is a nice feature, but also find it very difficult to press (I've been trying to use my left pinky and wedding finger), I may be the only one w/ this difficulty, but may I possibly ask for a change to another key-combo that's easier to press?
(I may find a similar difficulty w/ Shift-Tab but this combo's much easier)
Hmm, Ctrl-Tab and Ctrl-Shift-Tab are the standard shortcuts for tabbed programs (Firefox, um, K-Meleon, uh, I can't think of any other examples at the moment ). If you want to suggest another set of shortcuts (you'll have to peruse through the menus to see what's already being used), or if you can find other programs which use different shortcuts, I'm willing to listen. By the way, if the video preview is visible, there are a couple of more keyboard shortcuts available, read more here.
Quote:
3)
When I try to replace all occurences of a single word/phrase by another using Ctrl+H, I can do so w/o problems, but some sort of an error message always pops up. I don't think it's suposed to.
If you can see the error message (most of the time it will pop up in a separate window), paste the exact message here, I'll get on it.
Quote:
4)
If I have a script like:

PLUGIN_PATH = String("C:\Program Files\AviSynth 2.5.6\otherPlugins")
Loadplugin(PLUGIN_PATH + "\degrainmedian.dll")
Loadplugin(PLUGIN_PATH + "\vaguedenoiser.dll")

then the coloring scheme works fine, but if I change this to

PLUGIN_PATH = String("C:\Program Files\AviSynth 2.5.6\otherPlugins\")
Loadplugin(PLUGIN_PATH + "degrainmedian.dll")
Loadplugin(PLUGIN_PATH + "vaguedenoiser.dll")

then all the function calls (e.g. Loadplugin, Import, Mpeg2source etc) and comment lines are colored wrongly (purple by default setting). As shown above, I'm not having a problem, and I don't know if it can even be called a bug, but I just wanted to report it to you, as it may not be an intended outcome.
The short answer is don't end any string with a backslash, and it will highlight correctly. The long answer is that I didn't write the code to colorize the text, I borrowed code that was written to colorize a different progamming language (Octave), so you'll end up seeing weird issues like this. I guess this will have to be bumped up on my to-do list .

Quote:
Originally Posted by nibbles View Post
I have a runtime issue with 1.1.6. I unzip a fresh copy.
Avsp is installed in: C:\Program Files (x86)\AvsP
Avisynth is in: C:\Program Files\AviSynth 2.5.7RC1
I click Options -> Settings...
I click the OK button.
I get an error popup:
I can't see the attachment yet (it's pending approval), when I can I'll get on it.

Edit: I think I know what the problem is, it's a stupid mistake on my part. The problem is with the "AviSynth help file/url:" entry in the "General" tab, replace %avisynthdir% in that text box with your actual AviSynth directory (in your case, C:\Program Files\AviSynth 2.5.7RC1). You should be able to hit OK from now on with no problems. I'll get that fixed by the next release.

Last edited by qwerpoi; 28th September 2006 at 01:23.
qwerpoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2006, 21:06   #203  |  Link
nibbles

Yes that was this issue. Thanks for checking into it. Also I wanted to mention
that the preview pane is working better for me in 1.1.6.
nibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2006, 21:37   #204  |  Link
Fizick
AviSynth plugger

I can not save to avi with avs2avi in localized Russian version 1.1.6.
english version works fine.
Fizick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2006, 00:29   #205  |  Link
qwerpoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by nibbles View Post
Also I wanted to mention
that the preview pane is working better for me in 1.1.6.
Whew! Thanks for letting me know. I'm sure that there still are some issues, but I'll be happy so long as the preview window behaves as expected under reasonable conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizick View Post
I can not save to avi with avs2avi in localized Russian version 1.1.6.
english version works fine.
Aah, the problem is caused by the fact that I failed to translate one of the messages, I'll fix right away. I also noticed that there's quite a few messages in the avs2avi that I didn't make translatable, so that will be in the new release as well.
Old 28th September 2006, 06:31   #206  |  Link
Seed

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerpoi View Post
If you want to suggest another set of shortcuts (you'll have to peruse through the menus to see what's already being used), or if you can find other programs which use different shortcuts, I'm willing to listen.
I'm not Champs, but just a suggestion. Maxthon browser (a popular tabbed browser based on IE engine) uses F2 for switching tabs from right-to-left direction and F3 for left-to-right direction.

BTW, a very useful program, and thanks for all the effort.
Seed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2006, 07:43   #207  |  Link
qwerpoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seed View Post
I'm not Champs, but just a suggestion. Maxthon browser (a popular tabbed browser based on IE engine) uses F2 for switching tabs from right-to-left direction and F3 for left-to-right direction.

BTW, a very useful program, and thanks for all the effort.
Ah, Maxthon, I used to use that program (back in the day when it was called MyIE2). I eventually switched to Firefox and then to K-Meleon (sort of a lightweight version of Firefox), but in many ways it sometimes feels like Maxthon does it better.

Anyway, back on topic, using F2 and F3 for tab switching sounds reasonable, but I've already reserved F1 through F4 for the first four macros. I did this because theoretically you would write a macro that you couldn't live without, or a macro that requires a lot of activation (the insanely complex "Manual Telecide" macro for example), and you would want to be able to access it as fast as possible. This already screws with the standard F3 shortcut for "Find next" which you'll find on nearly every program (although I guess not on Maxthon or ie), which I changed to Ctrl-Shift-F, which is kind of ugly.

So. I'm willing to change things around, let's say macros get Ctrl-F1 through Ctrl-F4, then F2 can be used to switch to the previous tab, F3 would switch to the next. I could leave the Ctrl-Tab and Ctrl-Shift-Tab shortcuts alone so as not to upset the Firefox/Foobar/every tabbed program in existence crowd. But I'm not going to change anything until more people chime in, either with approval or other possible shortcuts. Until then, you'll just have to live with the standard shortcuts, or spend more time with your mouse (shudder).

Last edited by qwerpoi; 28th September 2006 at 07:47.
Old 28th September 2006, 08:26   #208  |  Link
Henrikx

Quote:
Aah, the problem is caused by the fact that I failed to translate one of the messages
...I copied from the beginning the 6 new entries from 1.1.6 to 1.1.5. German Version works fine.

Last edited by Henrikx; 28th September 2006 at 08:40.
Henrikx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2006, 10:12   #209  |  Link
krisq

Quote:
I should be able to do it, but it would be a little tricky. In other words it's trivial to show the decimal width divided by height, but I assume that people would want to see 16:9 or 4:3 when appropriate. I'm not much of an aspect ratio guru, so (a) I don't know all the "key" aspect ratios, and (b) I don't know how much tolerance is acceptable (ie, does 1.35 still count as 4:3). If someone can point out a link, great, otherwise I'll try and implement it showing the width/height decimal only.

Edit: Looks like doom9's aspect ratio page had all the info I needed. I implemented the feature, great stuff, especially handy with the crop editor! I'll try to get the new release out in a couple of days.
Actually, width/height decimal was extacly what I've had on my mind but hey, if you did it the better way... I won't argue with ya
Cheers.

[EDIT]
I think checkboxes for section toggling should be hierarchicly in the same place as in the script.
Code:
AVISource("c:\Download\movie.avi")
ConvertToYUY2()
[HDR]
HDRAgc (coef_gain=[<"HDR Gain", 0.0, 3.0, 1.0>], coef_sat=[<"HDR Saturation", 0.0, 3.0, 1.0>])
[/HDR]
[Lanczos]
LanczosResize([<"Lanczos Width % 16", 352, 720, 640>],[<"Lanczos Height % 16", 352, 720, 480>])
[/Lanczos]
In this case instead of:

Toggle HDR
Toggle Lanczos
4 x sliders

I would expect something like this:

Toggle HDR
2 x sliders
Toggle Lanczos
2 x sliders

Last edited by krisq; 28th September 2006 at 19:33.
krisq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2006, 19:47   #210  |  Link
qwerpoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrikx View Post
...I copied from the beginning the 6 new entries from 1.1.6 to 1.1.5. German Version works fine.
The dialog box shows up, but nothing happens when you hit the "Run" button if you translate the label to something else. It's a small mistake on my part, the code is supposed to check the translated label instead of "Run".

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisq View Post
I think checkboxes for section toggling should be hierarchicly in the same place as in the script.
Code:
AVISource("c:\Download\movie.avi")
ConvertToYUY2()
[HDR]
HDRAgc (coef_gain=[<"HDR Gain", 0.0, 3.0, 1.0>], coef_sat=[<"HDR Saturation", 0.0, 3.0, 1.0>])
[/HDR]
[Lanczos]
LanczosResize([<"Lanczos Width % 16", 352, 720, 640>],[<"Lanczos Height % 16", 352, 720, 480>])
[/Lanczos]
In this case instead of:

Toggle HDR
Toggle Lanczos
4 x sliders

I would expect something like this:

Toggle HDR
2 x sliders
Toggle Lanczos
2 x sliders
Yeowch, that would be pretty difficult for various reasons, the primary one being that I would have to rewrite my layout code, which I just got to a nearly stable state. I'd follow up on your request if it were easy, but since it's not, and since I prefer using multiple tabs over toggle sections, I'm going to leave things as is, at least for now. Well, if other people feel the same way as you, I might do something about it then.

PS - I gave myself an avatar to help distinguish my posts in this thread. 5 style points to the first person who can tell me where it's from

Last edited by qwerpoi; 28th September 2006 at 19:54.
Old 28th September 2006, 20:18   #211  |  Link
krisq

No problem, I thought it was a simple thing to do I'll start to get use to it then
Old 28th September 2006, 21:02   #212  |  Link
Zarxrax

Wow, I just tried AvsP and I absolutely love it! I've never even considered using anything besides notepad, but this has definately become my default avs editor!

I've got a couple suggestions for it.
1. Custom keyboard shortcuts. Some of the keyboard shortcuts seem strange to me, or some features I might use may not have a shortcut, so it would be nice if they were customizable.
2. Add an option to update the preview each time you change a line and then move focus to a different line. As you make changes to the script, it will automatically update the preview, so you dont have to keep pressing f5 to see the change.
3. Try to catch script errors in AvsP. If there is an error in the syntax, highlight the line, and maybe have a popup that tells the exact error. Instead of showing the error in the video preview, it can just show you right in the text editor. This feature would go a long ways towards making idea #2 actually usable. It would also be extremely nice to get some realtime feedback as you are typing. For instance, if I forget a comma somewhere, it would be nice if this could be highlighted immediately as im typing.
4. On the popup that shows the filter parameters, it would be nice if you could just click on certain parameters to add them to your script (and also let this be done via keyboard shortcuts).
For example, if I type the tweak command, the popup will show all the various parameters such as hue, sat, bright, etc. If you were to click on "sat" it would insert "sat=" into your script. As for the help function that it currently goes to when you click, I suppose that could be moved to the right-click (whch currently seems to give an error message!).
5. Double-click a tab to duplicate it. This will make comparing two scripts much quicker, as it would save you the trouble of making a new tab, going back to the original tab, copying, going back to the new tab, paste...

That's all the suggestions I've got for now. Thanks so much for this wonderful program!
Zarxrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2006, 22:05   #213  |  Link
qwerpoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarxrax View Post
Wow, I just tried AvsP and I absolutely love it! I've never even considered using anything besides notepad, but this has definately become my default avs editor!
Excellent! My goal is to get all the die-hard notepad/virtualdub people to use AvsP, nice to see I'm on the right track.

Quote:
1. Custom keyboard shortcuts. Some of the keyboard shortcuts seem strange to me, or some features I might use may not have a shortcut, so it would be nice if they were customizable.
A very good request, a fairly difficult request, for me at least. It's definitely on my to-do list - in the meantime, let me know which shortcuts are strange or which features require shortcuts and I'll try to accommodate.

Quote:
2. Add an option to update the preview each time you change a line and then move focus to a different line. As you make changes to the script, it will automatically update the preview, so you dont have to keep pressing f5 to see the change.
Hmm, not sure how many people will use this, I imagine you'll get a lot of errors as you build your script line by line. But I'll try and make it an option.

Quote:
3. Try to catch script errors in AvsP. If there is an error in the syntax, highlight the line, and maybe have a popup that tells the exact error. Instead of showing the error in the video preview, it can just show you right in the text editor. This feature would go a long ways towards making idea #2 actually usable. It would also be extremely nice to get some realtime feedback as you are typing. For instance, if I forget a comma somewhere, it would be nice if this could be highlighted immediately as im typing.
Ah, catching errors like vdubmod does is impossible for AvsP at the moment. AvsP is written in Python, not c++, so it actually doesn't communicate with AviSynth at all, it just makes .avs scripts. Obviously that's not to say that it's impossible, but it would require writing an AviSynth wrapper dll that's callable by Python's ctypes (something I've played around with a bit with little success). Future versions of AvsP (AvsP 3.0? ) really should have this level of communication available, but currently it works in a simplified fashion.

Quote:
4. On the popup that shows the filter parameters, it would be nice if you could just click on certain parameters to add them to your script (and also let this be done via keyboard shortcuts).
For example, if I type the tweak command, the popup will show all the various parameters such as hue, sat, bright, etc. If you were to click on "sat" it would insert "sat=" into your script. As for the help function that it currently goes to when you click, I suppose that could be moved to the right-click (whch currently seems to give an error message!).
Huh. An interesting idea, but I don't think the editing component I'm using (scintilla) has a way to detect which argument you clicked on. I'll look into it a bit further. Also thanks letting me know about that right-click error, I'll fix it right away!

Quote:
5. Double-click a tab to duplicate it. This will make comparing two scripts much quicker, as it would save you the trouble of making a new tab, going back to the original tab, copying, going back to the new tab, paste...
Now this I can do, a great suggestion. Keep in mind there are a couple of shortcuts already, adding a new tab already copies any selected text from the current tab (making it possible to duplicate a script with keyboard shortcuts entirely, Ctrl-A then Ctrl-N), also you can drag-and-drop text in the tab area to create a new tab with that text. But your suggestion is even faster, so it'll be in the next release. Thanks for all the feedback.
Old 28th September 2006, 23:10   #214  |  Link
Zarxrax

Ah, I didn't know about the Ctrl+A, Ctrl+N trick.

As for the syntax checking, it should be possible to do a lot of it without reading errors directly from avisynth. Since I would assume AvsP is quite aware of what constitutes proper syntax, it should be possible to determine when you type something that blatantly violates the syntax. If you have ever used Microsoft Visual Studio, this is the kind of thing I am talking about--whenever you type something wrong, it will underline it with a squiggly line. Of course, I'm not sure how much work something like that would be. Maybe it's not feasible.
Zarxrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2006, 23:39   #215  |  Link
doxville

First of all: A big THANKS for the great tool!!
Quote:
Excellent! My goal is to get all the die-hard notepad/virtualdub people to use AvsP, nice to see I'm on the right track.
I am already very close to switch over to AvsP completely because of its great features, BUT...
I miss something like VDubMod's 'Cut' and 'Insert Frameset As Trims' function. With VDubMod, I find it very simple to cut out the commercial breaks out of TV-captures, and after that, with a simple click, you get the appropriate 'trim(...) ++ trim(...) ++ trim(...)' line for the script.
Would it be possible (or is it already planned) to implant this feature? This would also mean, the preview-function would have to be changed a little, so that the preview picture would be updated much more often than at the moment (not just at the position where you stop the slider, but all the way while you scroll the slider), to make it easier to find the right part of the movie.

Still, great, great tool, please keep up the excellent work!!
doxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2006, 04:44   #216  |  Link
foxyshadis
ангел смерти

Well, avsfilmcutter does that very well - that's its main purpose in life. It'd be neat is avsp got it, but at least there's a tool around now.
foxyshadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2006, 06:20   #217  |  Link
qwerpoi

Sorry about not getting the new release out yet, I'm currently working on making keyboard shortcuts customizable, which should make some of you out there very happy. It'll probably be out sometime soon after the weekend.

Quote:
As for the syntax checking, it should be possible to do a lot of it without reading errors directly from avisynth. Since I would assume AvsP is quite aware of what constitutes proper syntax, it should be possible to determine when you type something that blatantly violates the syntax. If you have ever used Microsoft Visual Studio, this is the kind of thing I am talking about--whenever you type something wrong, it will underline it with a squiggly line. Of course, I'm not sure how much work something like that would be. Maybe it's not feasible.
I'm not sure how much work it is either, but I'm guessing it's difficult. I think Microsoft Visual Studio can pull this stuff off with the C++ language because it's statically typed (ie, you must declare "int x" before saying "x=5", etc). The AviSynth language does not have this strict structure, which makes it more difficult to determine "on-the-fly" syntax errors. So my gut feeling is that to pull this off with the AviSynth language would be a lot of work with a lot of heuristics. Of course I could be wrong, anybody with any thoughts on the subject are welcome to bring it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by doxville View Post
I miss something like VDubMod's 'Cut' and 'Insert Frameset As Trims' function. With VDubMod, I find it very simple to cut out the commercial breaks out of TV-captures, and after that, with a simple click, you get the appropriate 'trim(...) ++ trim(...) ++ trim(...)' line for the script.
Would it be possible (or is it already planned) to implant this feature? This would also mean, the preview-function would have to be changed a little, so that the preview picture would be updated much more often than at the moment (not just at the position where you stop the slider, but all the way while you scroll the slider), to make it easier to find the right part of the movie.
Interesting request, I've never used vdubmod's script editor that much. I'll see what I can do, although the way I end up implementing it might be a bit different than vdubmod's method. As far as updating the picture while dragging, I'll try to make that an option. I find updating on release instead is more graceful (ever hear the crunching noise when you're dragging around in a large video in vdub?), and you can always use the keyboard shortcuts to fine tune positions (up/down skips by a second, pgup/pgdn skips by a minute), but in the end it's user preference.

Last edited by qwerpoi; 1st October 2006 at 06:25.
Old 1st October 2006, 09:29   #218  |  Link
Ebobtron
Errant Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyshadis View Post
Well, avsfilmcutter does that very well - that's its main purpose in life. It'd be neat is avsp got it, but at least there's a tool around now.
Thanks foxy, wasn't sure anyone around here liked it.

I have AvsP v1.1.6 programmed in a tool button on my version of FilmCutter, open a script or name a new one and click the AvsP icon. When AvsP is done with the script just close and you are back, edited script loaded.

sorry qwerpoi, haven’t clicked it to much. But when I do the video preview jumps off the bottom of my screen. Mine is only 480 p high.

I am sure you are aware of it. But I must applaud your work on the filter parameter dialog box (and the rest of your work), coding all of that must have been a pain.

If I enhance avsFilmCutter's command line switches to include play. I could click AvsP from FilmCutter and then assign FilmCutter as the external player from your program.

Would that violate the looping rules?

I need some time off.

Ebt
Ebobtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2006, 14:01   #219  |  Link
edman

Hi,
how do i make it show a preview of my source?
If i load the Plugins and the source it just shows me a big greyed out window. I can move the slider and AvsP counts the frames but no picture appears. When i try to zoom in the preview window just becomes black. Loading the Script in VD works fine. I'm using v.1.1.6.
Here's the script:

LoadPlugin("d:\encode\dgmpgdec148\DGDecode.dll")
LoadPlugin("d:\encode\dgmpgdec148\mpasource_25_dll_20031214\mpasource.dll")
MPEG2Source("d:\encode\alpha.d2v",cpu=3)
MPASource("d:\encode\alpha - DELAY -8ms.mpa")
AudioDub(video,audio)

thx
edman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2006, 14:19   #220  |  Link
Ebobtron
Errant Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by edman View Post
Hi,
how do i make it show a preview of my source?
If i load the Plugins and the source it just shows me a big greyed out window. I can move the slider and AvsP counts the frames but no picture appears. When i try to zoom in the preview window just becomes black. Loading the Script in VD works fine. I'm using v.1.1.6.
Here's the script:

Code:
LoadPlugin("d:\encode\dgmpgdec148\DGDecode.dll")
LoadPlugin("d:\encode\dgmpgdec148\mpasource_25_dll_20031214\mpasource.dll")
MPEG2Source("d:\encode\alpha.d2v",cpu=3)
MPASource("d:\encode\alpha - DELAY -8ms.mpa")
AudioDub(video,audio)
thx
the script you show is not going to work at all
try
Code:
video = MPEG2Source("d:\encode\alpha.d2v",cpu=3)
audio = MPASource("d:\encode\alpha - DELAY -8ms.mpa")
AudioDub(video,audio)
Ebobtron is offline   Reply With Quote