Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage

Old 4th September 2006, 01:57   #1  |  Link
qwerpoi

New AviSynth tool - AvsP v1.4.0 (6/5/07)

Update: I created a website for AvsP, be sure to check it out, there's a ton of info in there, even long-time users are bound to learn something.

AvsP is (yet another) text editor for AviSynth, with all the exptected bells and whistles (syntax highlighting, autocompletion, calltips, video preview, etc). So what's different about this one? Let's take a look at this screenshot:

Notice the slider bars next to the video image? Basically, you can define any number of them to replace any numerical value in your script (in this case, the "hue" and "sat" arguments to Tweak), essentially giving your AviSynth script an instant gui environment. Cool, huh? (Note that you don't have to memorize any syntax, see link to demo below.) Also notice that the program is a tabbed text editor with a single attached video preview. What that means is that you can compare the video of different scripts without having to align multiple windows (anyone remember alt-tabbing multiple instances of VirtualDub? ) Anyway, the program has tons of other features, such as:

> built-in crop editor
> bookmark frame numbers in menu
> macro language for complete control of the program
> graphical front-end for avs2avi

You should read the program's readme for more info. The program itself doesn't require installation, doesn't write to the registry, and doesn't require installing any framework, so no harm in giving it a try, just unzip it to your directory of choice and off you go. You can download it here (the filesize is 5.2MB):

AvsP Download page

-> bugfix for v1.4.0

Mirror for v1.4.0 (savefile.com)
Mirror for v1.3.9 (savefile.com)
Mirror for v1.3.8 (savefile.com)
Mirror for v1.3.7 (savefile.com)
Mirror for v1.3.6 (savefile.com)
Mirror for v1.3.5 (savefile.com)

Japanese translation (translated by niiyan)
Russian translation (translated by Fizick)
German translation (translated by Henrikx)
French translation (translated by Alain2)
Spanish translation (translated by zemog)
Portuguese translation (translated by Veiga)
Italian translation (translated by khs81)

The program runs on Windows XP and win98. Anyway, I feel that the program can really revolutionize the way you use AviSynth (I've been developing it on and off for more than 2 years), so please give it a shot, and post back with any feedback.

If you're still not convinced, check out this flash-based demo, it goes over the program's fundamental features, including a demonstration of creating user sliders.

Last edited by qwerpoi; 1st August 2007 at 18:57.
qwerpoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2006, 02:57   #2  |  Link
Pookie

Hey ! Nice app. I'm testing it out right now. Seems peppy. Python, right ?

Can't seem to do an external preview at the moment. Looks like the opened *.AVS file isn't being passed as a variable name to the player.
Pookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2006, 05:02   #3  |  Link
unskinnyboy

Quite nice! Toying around with it right now.

I know this is still under development, but couple of quick questions anyway:

1) Why does commenting a line or a block of text comes up as '#~' instead of just '#'. I know it doesn't matter what comes after the # once it is commented, but still curious as to why.

2) Entering a frame no. at the bottom and hitting enter takes quite an amount of time (a few seconds, but noticably annoying still) for the preview window to reposition itself at the new frame. I can understand taking time to seek to a new frame thousands of frames away, but there is a notable lag to seek to even a 100 frames away. But, if no one else has a problem with this, it is probably just my slow laptop (1.4 GHz P4M, 1 GB RAM).

Maybe more later once I poke around more..Best thing I like so far -> the preview window being attached to the main window.
Great tool. Thanks.

P.S: External preview is b0rked. Confirmed. Sounds like either a path problem (spaces in path?) or a name issue (what is being opened is sample.avs but what is being passed is previewX.avs, where X = 1,2,3..etc).
Old 4th September 2006, 05:25   #4  |  Link
qwerpoi

@Pookie,
Hmm, strange about the external preview not working, works fine for me using media player classic - can you tell me what program you're trying to run (shot in the dark)? And yes, it's python (with wxpython) - how did you know?

@unskinnyboy,
1) Block comments use #~ to distinguish them from regular comments, basically to allow commenting or uncommenting a bunch of selected text (which would get screwed up if there were commented lines in the selected text).

2) Yes, jumping to a frame might be slow on older machines, but it may also depend on the script, try a simple AviSource on a reasonable resolution file and see if it's still slow. Runs pretty well on my laptop which has similar specs to yours.

And yes, despite all the features the program has, I also think that the attached video preview is the best one - it's pretty much the reason I wrote the whole thing to begin with .
Old 4th September 2006, 05:38   #5  |  Link
danpos
BDVD Team

@qwerpoi

It's a neat piece of software. The external preview is working fine in my system (tested with MPC, Mplayer).

Keep up the good work.

Regards,
danpos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2006, 06:58   #6  |  Link
Mug Funky
interlace this!

couple of suggestions (i really dig the slider idea...)

- f5 to refresh script, rather than shift-f5. mainly because VDmod does it that way, and i keep inadvertently closing and opening the preview window (also 1 key is quicker than 2 for an action that's likely to be performed often).

- preview window is docked onto script window... perhaps it could be free-floating? it could get tricky with big frame sizes is all.

another thing that'd be cool is if sliders could get some kind of realtime update... like if the last processed frame were held in memory and manipulated from there, rather than the script itself updating each time. this is probably not too workable though.
Old 4th September 2006, 07:25   #7  |  Link
qwerpoi

@danpos
Thanks

@Mug Funky
- You're right about the F5 keyboard shortcut, I'll change it in the next version. As a temporary workaround you can hit F5 twice for the same effect, hee hee

- Yes, the preview window is docked, and will ALWAYS REMAIN THAT WAY! I know that there are advantages to a free-floating window (primarily screen real estate), but the docked window allows for a tight interaction between multiple scripts and the video preview, useful for filter chain comparisons without any window management. It's a design choice, so far I find the advantages outweigh the disadvantages, I'll wait and see what others think.

As far as realtime update for the sliders, as you mentioned, not easy. Perhaps possible if the program was communicating with avisynth directly instead of through .avs files, which is something I've considered doing (although not anytime soon ).
Old 4th September 2006, 07:29   #8  |  Link
Pookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerpoi
@Pookie,
Hmm, strange about the external preview not working, works fine for me using media player classic - can you tell me what program you're trying to run (shot in the dark)?
Mplayer (of the Mencoder family)
Old 4th September 2006, 07:40   #9  |  Link
qwerpoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookie
Mplayer (of the Mencoder family)
Ah, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but last I checked mplayer can't play back .avs files, which is what the external preview function uses to achieve playback.
Old 4th September 2006, 11:15   #10  |  Link
unskinnyboy

Quote:
Block comments use #~ to distinguish them from regular comments, basically to allow commenting or uncommenting a bunch of selected text (which would get screwed up if there were commented lines in the selected text).
OK, then what is the keyboard/menu shortcut for commenting/uncommenting a single line? I can't seem to find it. Which is why I thought commenting via CTRL+Q seems to be the only option you have provided.

Quote:
Ah, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but last I checked mplayer can't play back .avs files, which is what the external preview function uses to achieve playback.
MPlayer can play avs files. For me, the external preview doesn't work in MPC (v6.4.9.0) or VirtualDubMoD (v1.5.10.2) - the only two I have tried so far. VirtualDubMoD gives me a Cannot open file "preview1.avs": The system cannot find the path specified message. MPC gives me a File not found error. To confirm that it wasn't an issue with spaces in the path (once too often I have seen this issue with alpha/beta versions of many software), I moved MPC to C:\ root, but same error.
Old 4th September 2006, 18:08   #11  |  Link
qwerpoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by unskinnyboy
OK, then what is the keyboard/menu shortcut for commenting/uncommenting a single line? I can't seem to find it. Which is why I thought commenting via CTRL+Q seems to be the only option you have provided.
Sorry, no command for single line commenting/uncommenting, the Ctrl-Q command is provided for temporarily killing some lines of code (following the scheme of some programming editors such as SciTe).

Quote:
Originally Posted by unskinnyboy
MPlayer can play avs files. For me, the external preview doesn't work in MPC (v6.4.9.0) or VirtualDubMoD (v1.5.10.2) - the only two I have tried so far. VirtualDubMoD gives me a Cannot open file "preview1.avs": The system cannot find the path specified message. MPC gives me a File not found error. To confirm that it wasn't an issue with spaces in the path (once too often I have seen this issue with alpha/beta versions of many software), I moved MPC to C:\ root, but same error.
Ah ha, you caught me! Spaces in the external program filename are not a problem, but spaces in the .avs filename are. To verify this, you should be able to save a script like C:\test.avs and preview it just fine. I'll fix this asap.
Old 4th September 2006, 18:46   #12  |  Link
qwerpoi

Okay, new version 1.0.3 (see first post to download), only two changes:

* fixed issue with spaces in filenames when using external preview (thanks unskinnyboy, Pookie)

* changed refresh keyboard shortcut to F5 (to be more similar to vdub), shift-F5 now hides the preview (suggested by Mug Funky)

Anyone needing to update from an older version, just replace the old exe with the new one.

Last edited by qwerpoi; 4th September 2006 at 19:42.
Old 4th September 2006, 19:10   #13  |  Link
danpos
BDVD Team

@qwerpoi

A small suggestion: what about do you open an account at geocities and so host there yours files? It's free and hasn't such annoying tickets for download anything like rapidshare.

Regards,
Old 4th September 2006, 19:40   #14  |  Link
qwerpoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by danpos
@qwerpoi

A small suggestion: what about do you open an account at geocities and so host there yours files? It's free and hasn't such annoying tickets for download anything like rapidshare.

Regards,
Aw, I didn't want to do anything like get a geocities account and manage a website and stuff . But since I don't like rapidshare either and since you asked so nicely, it's done (the download link on the first post has been updated).
Old 4th September 2006, 19:42   #15  |  Link
Pookie

Yes indeed, v1.03 is working with external preview.

Thanks a lot for the app.
Old 4th September 2006, 20:29   #16  |  Link
G_M_C

Quote:
Aw, I didn't want to do anything like get a geocities account and manage a website and stuff . But since I don't like rapidshare either and since you asked so nicely, it's done (the download link on the first post has been updated).
But for me ... neither screenshot nor download-link is working atm.

Is there some alternative ?
G_M_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2006, 22:44   #17  |  Link
qwerpoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by G_M_C
But for me ... neither screenshot nor download-link is working atm.

Is there some alternative ?
The screenshot should be working now, for the program download, it seems that you have to right-click and "save target as" to download (url gets mangled otherwise), I added the rapidshare link in case the first link doesn't work. Sorry about any temporary inconvenience.

Last edited by qwerpoi; 4th September 2006 at 23:49.
Old 5th September 2006, 01:02   #18  |  Link
danpos
BDVD Team

@qwerpoi

Thanks for take my suggestion into account, mate! You're superb!

Regards,
Old 5th September 2006, 06:34   #19  |  Link
Richard Berg
developer wannabe

This is super cool.
Quote:
Aw, I didn't want to do anything like get a geocities account and manage a website and stuff
I will PM you once I get some stupidity ironed out.
Richard Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2006, 10:05   #20  |  Link
ricardo.santos

geocities download not working
ricardo.santos is offline   Reply With Quote