Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 4th October 2018, 16:17   #52981  |  Link
Warner306

It works for some people and not for others. It seems like almost any driver version that doesn't work for one person works for Asmodian, and it would work for others. Cleaning your drivers between upgrades increases your chances of success.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2018, 16:43   #52982  |  Link
madjock

@creativeopinion

Ok then, so how do you expect to get an answer when no one knows your Card Type, OS Rev and what you are trying to do.

If you go back a few pages you will see brazen1 has a massive list on what works and does not work for him with multiple drivers.
https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...08#post1853608

Nvidia have kept breaking things, they did a fix recently that was supposed to help the 23.976, this seemed to help some, but most of us cannot get a custom resolution to stick, others use CRU, others can get it to work with no problems.

MS have also broken things with updates, no one knows how, but these are also factors as well.

So what I said is correct, it all depends on what you have, your luck and what you want out of the driver reference HDR/FSE and the likes, the best thing is try yourself.

Last edited by madjock; 4th October 2018 at 16:51.
madjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2018, 16:54   #52983  |  Link
brazen1

@Warner306

I've been using drivers from roughly Oct 2017 with no problems. I agree about there is no need to upgrade drivers if you aren't having a problem. Then I read here newer drivers slowed down the amount of frame drops indicative of nVidia… that there is attention and improvements underway. I have always been aware that a frame drop occurs every 4.35 minutes. Personally, I am not sensitive to a single frame drop every 4.35 minutes unless I am watching my equipment instead of the movie.

Although I've tested custom resolutions provided by madVR, I've really had no use for them, again because I'm not sensitive to them especially at a 4.35 minute interval. Any more frequent, and I might be. That said, I'm an enthusiast. I strive for perfection without dedicating more to that than actually using the fruits of my labor(s). I prevented myself from upgrading drivers and pursuing further perfection simply because EVERY new driver to date offered, inherited a new audio problem that the old driver I'd been using didn't have. Yet that improved audio/video sync mismatch was always on my mind.

I decided to alter the newest driver installation package so I could enjoy the audio bug free and gain the benefit of newer video drivers with the claimed less frequent frame drops a couple days ago. In my case, updating was a success and well worth it... sort of. In my observations, the 4.35 minute interval remained unchanged. That was until I played Avatar in 3D frame packed. It went from 4.35 minutes, using my previous driver build, to 13 minutes exactly using the newer. This may not sound like much improvement to you and probably others, but to me, it's an advancement well worthy of the update. It also gives me confidence that further improvements might actually be possible given the decades there have been none.

I'm not trying to shoe-horn in another nVidia comment. I'm pointing out that one may think remaining stagnant with their setups, drivers in this case, may not be the best course of action and am just sharing my scenario why I say that. Had I not known the possible benefits updating provided by posts here buried long, long ago, I would still be using those old drivers unknowingly. The same could be said for any drivers, updates, or upgrades for any software or hardware so don't think this is 'specific' about nVidia. I'm sure there are many followers here keeping up with day to day comments and remember most of what they digest. But there are many who don't know the history let alone the details and come for specific hands on attention often relying on those that have previously already digested for them. You are one of these respected people and thought my words here worthy of your contemplation.
brazen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2018, 18:26   #52984  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

as soon as I set highlight recovery strength to anything else other than 'none' my picture turns black & white. does anyone know why?

using madVR 0.92.17 hdrMeasure3 test build (but I already had this problem with earlier versions as well). rest of my setup --> signature
Old 4th October 2018, 21:01   #52985  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
It works for some people and not for others. It seems like almost any driver version that doesn't work for one person works for Asmodian, and it would work for others. Cleaning your drivers between upgrades increases your chances of success.
I had been having good luck in the past but I am unable to automatically switch to a custom resolution for 23.976 Hz with 416.16 and Win10 1809. I also tried DDU in safe mode and a clean install.

I can add and optimize a 23 Hz mode if I do it immediately after adding it with madVR. Nvidia calls it a custom 24Hz mode as usual but now when madVR tries to switch to it I get the stock unmodified 23 Hz mode instead of the custom one.

I notice that when madVR first adds the mode it shows up in the Nvidia control panel under "PC" but after changing back to 60 Hz and reopening the control panel it shows up as a mode under "Custom".

Edit: If I add a custom mode in the control panel, and change to it manually, I can use madVR to optimize it but, again, I have to apply the optimization values manually. Even if I get a custom 23 Hz mode saved that Nvidia calls 23 Hz, when madVR asks the drivers for 2160p23 I get the stock 23 Hz mode (which I could no longer manually switch to in the control panel). If I manually switch to the custom one after that I still get the correct custom refresh rate. It is like the API madVR uses to change the resolution and refresh rate ignores custom modes completely now.

Last edited by Asmodian; 4th October 2018 at 21:49.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2018, 08:10   #52986  |  Link
blaubart

Since W10 1809 HDR Flag switching is insane to dead (GTX 960). You may switch to HDR through Win10 "Anzeige > HDR on" but before 1809 madVR was able to switch to HDR by Win10 "Anzeige > HDR off".
Some insane flashing while madVR trying to switch. It "nearly" seems to work..

Next issue extists since before 1809. While madVR is HDR switching my Samsung TV obviously is cut off the PC for a part of a second. This time is enough to force Windows to switch to a small "panic" resolution. After that all explorer windows are in the left upper corner, apps right down.. If I let Win10 switch HDR by "Anzeige > HDR on/off" this does not happen.
blaubart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2018, 08:51   #52987  |  Link
alps006

Wow! So many issues with Windows 10!!! I am glad I gave up Windows 10 and went back to 8.1. So far so good! Playback is really perfect as I have nothing bad to report.Thanks madshi for always recommending 8.1, it indeed is a good OS for HTPC.
alps006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2018, 09:55   #52988  |  Link
j82k

It's not Win10 1809 causing the HDR switching problems but the new nvidia driver, which automatically gets installed with the 1809 update.

399.24 still working fine with 1809.
j82k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2018, 09:58   #52989  |  Link
madjock

Quote:
Originally Posted by j82k View Post
It's not Win10 1809 causing the HDR switching problems but the new nvidia driver, which automatically gets installed with the 1809 update.

399.24 still working fine with 1809.
Not here, I still have 390.77 after update, although I did have to enable Full range and create a custom resolution again.
madjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2018, 10:01   #52990  |  Link
j82k

I used the Win10 update assistant and when it was done I had 411.XX installed...
j82k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2018, 12:09   #52991  |  Link
ryrynz

Yeah I knew that was going to happen so I've decided to keep myself on 1803 on the HTPC for a while until madshi's Nvidia guy can sort out those driver issues.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2018, 12:12   #52992  |  Link
mclingo

The Dark theme is quite nice for night viewing and to minimize possible burning in on OLEDs but your're not missing anything otherwise, the next update might be more interesting though as its going to have android mobile mirroring.

Last edited by mclingo; 5th October 2018 at 12:22.
mclingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2018, 12:53   #52993  |  Link
alps006

If you guys have a dedicated, problem-free HTPC and not being used for other purposes, the best thing is to refrain from updating it.
alps006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2018, 13:03   #52994  |  Link
mclingo

I think most people on here have a usable system but have an small issues somewhere they'd like to fix, this is why whenever a new driver or relevant update is released there is often an itch that just has to be scratched and you end up going through the rigmarole all over again, then winding back

Thats me unfortunately, but I do spend 99% of my time actually watching movies and 1% dealing with issues which is propably contrary to how it seems

New LAV is out.

https://files.1f0.de/lavf/LAVFilters-0.73.exe
Old 5th October 2018, 13:23   #52995  |  Link
mrmarioman

Just installed the latest Windows update (1809) and the latest Nvidia drivers (416.xx). And HDR behaviour hasn't changed for me: Nvidia is still broken but Windows' HDR works fine.
mrmarioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2018, 15:53   #52996  |  Link
blaubart

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmarioman View Post
Just installed the latest Windows update (1809) and the latest Nvidia drivers (416.xx). And HDR behaviour hasn't changed for me: Nvidia is still broken but Windows' HDR works fine.
Same here but I won't roll back but wait for future improvements. The HDR thing is only tested. Normally I do the Win10 Upgrade half a year after release, this early one was an accident manually upgrading 1709 skipping 1803..
blaubart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2018, 15:59   #52997  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
I had been having good luck in the past but I am unable to automatically switch to a custom resolution for 23.976 Hz with 416.16 and Win10 1809. I also tried DDU in safe mode and a clean install.

I can add and optimize a 23 Hz mode if I do it immediately after adding it with madVR. Nvidia calls it a custom 24Hz mode as usual but now when madVR tries to switch to it I get the stock unmodified 23 Hz mode instead of the custom one.

I notice that when madVR first adds the mode it shows up in the Nvidia control panel under "PC" but after changing back to 60 Hz and reopening the control panel it shows up as a mode under "Custom".
So custom resolutions finally failed on you. I've had the same behavior on two occasions and had to change drivers. I wonder if it is the driver itself or something in the operating system that causes this to happen. I don't upgrade very often because it doesn't seem worth gambling that the whole process will fail. At least there are now dozens of drivers with HDR support to choose from.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2018, 19:49   #52998  |  Link
Asmodian

The 2080 Ti is a lot faster for madVR.

I see a bit over 40% for 1080p -> 2160p with NGU very high upscaling.
More tests to follow.
Old 5th October 2018, 22:56   #52999  |  Link
ryrynz

Highest quality madvr achievement unlocked. Can you notice a difference between high and very high though?
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2018, 00:36   #53000  |  Link
JayeDog

I use kodi dsplayer with madvr. Dsplayer and madvr are in full screen windowed mode. Nvidia drivers 385.28.

When I exit hdr mode the dsplayer window is almost always resized to a small window on the upper left corner of the tv. Anyone know how this can be fixed?
JayeDog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling