Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Old 7th April 2015, 10:01   #7861  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

Many CLI encoders prefer writing normal information for reading on the console to the "standard error stream" (STDERR) to avoid corrupting the output of the encoded video bitstream in case it is redirected to a pipe, using the "standard output stream" (STDOUT) for the video output in this case.

To avoid being alarmed about it, the log categorizes this output as "[Information]". Always remember, there are three stages of messages from an application to a user:
  • [Information]: Notice it or ignore it, but everything is fine.
  • [Warning]: Please notice it and think about it, decide for yourself if everything is still fine.
  • [Error]: Something is not fine. Now you may be concerned.
Using the STDERR, though, is nothing to be concerned about a priori; it is just an alternative text output stream, used to display text when the STDOUT is already redirected and may not be read by the user.

New German Gleitz board
MediaFire: x264 | x265 | VPx | AOM | Xvid
LigH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2015, 16:45   #7862  |  Link
salam2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by tebasuna51 View Post
Blocks like:

are only info with encoding statistics.

In your pastebin there are 10 jobs without errors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LigH View Post
Many CLI encoders prefer writing normal information for reading on the console to the "standard error stream" (STDERR) to avoid corrupting the output of the encoded video bitstream in case it is redirected to a pipe, using the "standard output stream" (STDOUT) for the video output in this case.

To avoid being alarmed about it, the log categorizes this output as "[Information]". Always remember, there are three stages of messages from an application to a user:
  • [Information]: Notice it or ignore it, but everything is fine.
  • [Warning]: Please notice it and think about it, decide for yourself if everything is still fine.
  • [Error]: Something is not fine. Now you may be concerned.
Using the STDERR, though, is nothing to be concerned about a priori; it is just an alternative text output stream, used to display text when the STDOUT is already redirected and may not be read by the user.
Got it! Thanks for clearing this up.
Still have to try the command line encoding (which I still don't know how) if it ever gonna solve my issue!
salam2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2015, 13:26   #7863  |  Link
Zathor

In the log you can see lines starting with:
Job commandline: "C:\Program Files (x86)\MeGUI\tools\x264\avs4x264mod.exe"

Copy the whole line to a cmd window and execute it. The encoding will be done without MeGUI - you can do that also with mkvmerge.exe
EDIT: Copy everything after "Job commandline: "

Last edited by Zathor; 10th April 2015 at 14:28.
Zathor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2015, 02:04   #7864  |  Link
salam2009

@Zathor
cmd gives me this error:
'Job' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.
Old 10th April 2015, 08:00   #7865  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

Then you copied too much. Only the content of the job command line, after the colon!

New German Gleitz board
MediaFire: x264 | x265 | VPx | AOM | Xvid
LigH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2015, 01:57   #7866  |  Link
salam2009

Oh! Didn't know that
OK, tried encoding 2 videos via command line and didn't get any errors in mkvmerge!
What's that suppose to mean? Does the GUI faulty somehow? I've reinstalled it earlier.
Thanks for the awesome support guys!
Old 11th April 2015, 09:51   #7867  |  Link
LouieChuckyMerry

Please, is it possible to have MeGUI's File Indexer default to "L-SMASH Works" instead of "FFMSIndex"? I ask not because it's difficult to tick the "L-SMASH Works" option but because I too often forget to tic the "L-SMASH Works" option . Thanks.
LouieChuckyMerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2015, 13:29   #7868  |  Link
GodRealm

Hello! I wonder, what is the forecast for the adding of 2-pass parameter on x265, because other software already accept this, least MeGUI.

Last edited by GodRealm; 16th April 2015 at 13:41.
GodRealm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2015, 14:36   #7869  |  Link
Zathor

Likely soon, but soon still may be weeks or more.
Zathor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2015, 14:56   #7870  |  Link
GodRealm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathor View Post
Likely soon, but soon still may be weeks or more.
Thank you! I will be waiting.
GodRealm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2015, 20:06   #7871  |  Link
honey01

@Zathor

Thank you.. I'm also looking forward to 2 pass x265 in Megui preferably in One Click Mode

And any update on feature request #457 Pause encoding ?
Encoding x265 takes a lot of time, so pause button will be great. (maybe we can put the machine to hibernate and resume at a later stage?)

Finally when encoding x265 in Megui, the Mediainfo is kinda blank.
I mean it doesn't mention the x265 version used or any other x265 parameters.
Is it a known bug?
honey01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2015, 01:37   #7872  |  Link
LouieChuckyMerry

Happy Friday! Please, is there a method to have MeGUI default to "L-SMASH Works" instead of "FFMSIndex" when loading an .mkv? Perhaps a trick with the setting.xml? Anything? Thanks.
Old 17th April 2015, 01:47   #7873  |  Link
hello_hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by honey01 View Post
And any update on feature request #457 Pause encoding ?
Yes please! For x264 encoding also!
hello_hello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2015, 06:33   #7874  |  Link
Kurtnoise
Swallowed in the Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieChuckyMerry View Post
Happy Friday! Please, is there a method to have MeGUI default to "L-SMASH Works" instead of "FFMSIndex" when loading an .mkv? Perhaps a trick with the setting.xml? Anything?
why a such request ?
Kurtnoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2015, 19:48   #7875  |  Link
hello_hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtnoise View Post
why a such request ?
I'd like the ability to set the default indexer, and I'd like to go further and be able to set it for specific file types, and in a perfect world where everything is made of chocolate, I'd also like to be able to specify which indexer to use according to video type.
MeGUI already makes some of those choices anyway (for example it'll index TS files containing mpeg2 video with DGIndex but won't if TS files contain h264 etc).

There's an established problem with ffms2 and AVIs when a frame rate is specified in the script (an issue with frames being dropped/repeated), so I'd like to be able to tell MeGUI to use AVISource or L-Smash for those.
And indexing some AVI's with ffms2 results in this:
[Error] [18/04/15 4:14:21 AM] Process exits with error: 1
I'm fairly sure that's ffms2 being all upset when there's junk data at the beginning of an MP3 audio stream, because if you elect not to index the audio the job completes, but I do forget to change the indexer to L-Smash quite a bit.

The current ffms2 errors out every time I try to index an MKV containing lossless video, so I'd like to tell MeGUI to use L-Smash for those in case I forget.

ffms2 tends not to play well with VC1, so maybe L-Smash there too, but I'm happy to use it for most other files.

Thinking about it......
Given L-Smash now has the same fpsnum & fpsden parameters as ffmsindex, it'd be nice if MeGUI could add them to the script when indexing with L-Smash too, because playing favourites seems unfair......

And I'd really, really like an ability in the Script Creator GUI to change the frame rate MeGUI adds to the script when indexing with ffms2/L-Smash, just as you can when using DirectShow for the same reasons, and because when MeGUI can't determine the frame rate it defaults to 23.976 which isn't the best frame rate to default to 99.999% of the time and changing it manually is an exercise in frustration because every time you change anything in the Script Creator (ie cropping) MeGUI re-writes the script which changes the frame rate back to 23.976 and eventually it wears me down and I feel like crying.....

Personally, I'd pick a higher frame rate as the default if MeGUI can't determine the frame rate. I think 29.970 would be a better choice. If the video is actually 23.976 it's easy enough to enable de-interlacing and apply a little decimation, but if it's 29.970 and MeGUI specifies 23.976, applying un-decimation is a little trickier.....

On the subject of decimation (referring to the "M" value in the Script Creator), there should be no ability to add a decimation of zero to a script because it makes no sense and just results in an error (unless when zero is specified the decimation is removed from the script completely), and it shouldn't be possible to specify a decimation amount greater than four when by default it has to be less than the decimation cycle and by default that's five.

Speaking of an extra setting...... I'd like to be able to tell MeGUI to default to ITU resizing for 4:3 DVDs and non-ITU for 16:9, given I'm pretty sure every 4:3 DVD I've met has been ITU but for newer 16:9 DVDs they tend not to be, and while I don't use OneClick myself that might also be handy for those who do.
Maybe that ITU option could also be hidden in the AVS Profile configuration next to the upsizing option where nobody can find it.

Quote:
why a such request ?
Sorry, I guess you weren't asking me.......

Last edited by hello_hello; 18th April 2015 at 09:19. Reason: spelling
Old 17th April 2015, 23:59   #7876  |  Link
damascus

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
I'd like the ability to set the default indexer
All the things you are wishing to have done for you would be incredibly trivial tasks if you were writing your own scripts using AvsPMod instead of using the script creator gui which really should not be on a x264 front end like meGui. It is simply a nod to those people who don't actually want to learn how to encode video. Encoding should be fun. You are trying to avoid the fun part.
damascus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2015, 01:58   #7877  |  Link
hello_hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by damascus View Post
All the things you are wishing to have done for you would be incredibly trivial tasks if you were writing your own scripts using AvsPMod instead of using the script creator gui which really should not be on a x264 front end like meGui. It is simply a nod to those people who don't actually want to learn how to encode video. Encoding should be fun. You are trying to avoid the fun part.
The Script Creator GUI shouldn't be on an x264 front end like MeGUI? That's the oddest thing I've heard in a while. What's stopping me from manually creating scripts using the Script Creator's Script tab as I would with AvsPMod? What's stopping me from creating script templates for MeGUI's Script Creator to use?

For the record, I use AvsPMod now and then. For simpler scripts I tend to use MeGUI's script creator. AvsPMod has nothing to with changes I'd like to see in MeGUI. The two are completely unrelated. Please refrain from telling me what I am or am not trying to do when you simply couldn't know.
Old 18th April 2015, 05:54   #7878  |  Link
LouieChuckyMerry

Quote:
why a such request ?
I'm not requesting a feature, just wondering if it's presently possible because, sadly, I'm prone to forgetting to choose "L-SMASH Works" .
Old 18th April 2015, 06:02   #7879  |  Link
LouieChuckyMerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
thinking about it......
Given l-smash now has the same fpsnum & fpsden parameters as ffmsindex, it'd be nice if megui could add them to the script when indexing with l-smash too, because playing favourites seems unfair......
I wholeheartedly agree, as after some testing with L-SMASH Works and QTGMC I noticed that the frame rate goes screwy without this information.

Last edited by LouieChuckyMerry; 18th April 2015 at 08:43.
Old 18th April 2015, 09:15   #7880  |  Link
hello_hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieChuckyMerry View Post
I wholeheartedly agree, as after some testing with L-SMASH Works and QTGMC I noticed that the frame rate goes screwy without this information.
It shouldn't have anything to do with QTGMC as such.

Without QTGMC in a script if you index with ffms2 and open the preview, MeGUI will display the total number of frames at the top (and the total duration if the option to "add time position" is enabled in it's settings).
The frame rate conversion parameters convert the frame rate to a constant frame rate. If you check the total number of frames/duration, delete the frame rate conversion stuff from the script and refresh the preview, and the total frame count/duration remains the same, then the video was constant frame rate to begin with. If the frame count/duration changes then either MeGUI got the frame rate wrong, or the source video is variable frame rate (that can include video with "repeated" frames, or frames with twice the normal duration, because ffms2/L-Smash treat that type of video as variable frame rate also). If the video is variable frame rate, without the frame rate conversion stuff in the script ffms2/L-Smash output a constant average frame rate, which will no doubt be a little different to what it's supposed to be.

There's a very slim chance that a variable frame rate video will have exactly the same number of frames and total duration as a constant frame rate video, but it's pretty unlikely, so if the frame count/duration changes with/without the frame rate conversion stuff in the script the source is very likely to be variable frame rate.

QTGMC just does it's thing from there. Aside from the lack of de-interlacing, I think you'll find the result will be the same with or without QTGMC added to the script.

Tags
megui