Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > NLE - Non Linear Editing

Old 31st January 2005, 23:01   #1  |  Link
trollw

Video editing after capture from VHS tape

If I'm not in the right forum, would someone please 'tell me where to go' (hopefully someplace I can get to without dying). I have a number of VHS tapes that I made from old 8MM movies. To say that the colors, saturation, etc., need help is putting it mildly. I have captured the VHS to MPEG video, but I would like to try to clean up some of the color and saturation issues before converting them to DVD. Can someone recommend a reasonably priced editor to rework the files (or tell me if the capability is buried in one that I already have but am just too stupid to find)? I am running Windows XP and have Microsoft moviemaker, Womble MPEG Video Wizard, DVD-Lab, Microsoft Digital Image Pro 10, and Roxio Easy Media Creator 7. My typical VHS tape conversion method is capture to MPEG, cut/edit with MPEG Video Wizard, demux with Video Wizard, create Video_TS files with either DVD-Lab (with menus) or IFOEdit (without menus), size/convert to ISO image using DVDShrink3.2, and burn to DVD using CloneDVD.

Regards,
John
trollw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2005, 23:10   #2  |  Link
jggimi
Moderator Emeritus

Trollw, there's a discussion of chroma artifact removal and color adjustment in our Capture Guide. The tools used there are free -- Vdub, AviSynth -- but they're designed for lossless capture to .avi rather than MPEG-2 capture, so may not be applicable to your current procedures. Even so, you may find the discussions in Chapter 7 helpful.
Old 31st January 2005, 23:45   #3  |  Link
trollw

That's great - I'll go get it right now. Thanks for your help.
Old 1st February 2005, 07:51   #4  |  Link
rfmmars

I use VirtualdubMOD and a plug-in filter called ColorMill 2.01, It has all the color corection adjustments you need.

http://neuron2.net/board/viewtopic.php?t=593

and

http://neuron2.net/board/viewtopic.php?t=609

and

http://neuron2.net/board/viewtopic.php?t=602

richard
photorecall.net

Last edited by rfmmars; 1st February 2005 at 07:56.
rfmmars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2005, 21:30   #5  |  Link
JeremyIrons

VHS conversion issues

When converting to the digital domain from film, the colour space is different. Film is quite rich in colour saturation and hue shifts to start with, just to compensate for losses and 'whiteness' of light at projection time. When converting from film to video, colour saturation is very prominant unless it has been 'corrected' out. It depends on the experience of your film to video conversion shop. Sometimes its just a simple matter to turn down the colour and adjust the tint along with contrast reduction before you start encoding. Don't do this in post, do this at capture time. It is trial and error until it looks just right.
JeremyIrons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2005, 21:44   #6  |  Link
trollw

Thanks, that is essentially the conclusion I had worked myself into. I played around with the capture settings until nothing saturated and then repeated the capture. I was then able to do some hue, brightness, and contrast adjustment with the video editor I found buried in Easy Media Creator 7. Appears to be working so far.

Regards,
John
Old 8th March 2005, 06:01   #7  |  Link
dennisparrott

I did a conversion job like this for a friend of mine. She had a VHS tape full of really old clips (dating back to the 1930's) and the colors were all over the map...

What I did was take my Sony DCR-HC40 MiniDV cam and use it as a bridge between the analog VHS deck and my editing package. The tape was captured directly as DV and whatever mojo the little Sony cam has in it certainly cleaned up the images on that well-played tape.

Whether the results using some other camera that will bridge analog sources to digital would produce the same results (or better) I do not know. The Sony HC40 did a nice job. So nice in fact that the DC10+ analog input board I have (got it with Pinnacly Studio 7) did not get put back into the system when I recently replatformed it (aka reloaded Win2K and the applications). With the HC40, I don't _need_ any other analog input.

It won't take a faded clip and restore it to past glories. But it does a nice job of converting the clip and getting something very, very watchable.

dennis
dennisparrott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2005, 15:45   #8  |  Link
trollw

Thanks for the information. I don't have a digital minicam at this time but I will certainly keep the process in mind for the future.