Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 AVC / H.264

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 23rd May 2008, 16:52   #10  |  Link
MBoufleur

AVC Stream oddities

Hi neuron2,

I've recently received three TS files with unusual SI tables. Those are all files captured off the air in SBTVD format (similar to ISDB-T), so it's not DVB, nor ATSC.
SBTVD is the new Terrestrial Digital Television Standard in Brazil, recently developed and taking it's basis from Japanese ISDB-T, but using H.264 HD for video and AAC for audio.
It is usually has 2 programs inside the transport stream: 1 for HD in 1080i and another one for mobiles using Baseline profile.

It seems no computer software is able to play these files correctly to date. Most can display video, but no audio.

I was able to change between programs in the TS File using Graphedit and ArcSoft MPEG Demuxer, but I could'nt find any AAC decoder filter that would connect to the ArcSoft Demuxer, and the ArcSoft audio filter doesn't seem to play AAC. MainConcept Demuxer also works, but only extracts the Baseline part, so I'm pretty much stuck there.

Strangelly, some playout applications incorrectly identify the AAC streams as MPEG-1 audio, such as MPC and DGAVCIndex as well (see below).

MediaInfo seems to be an app that can identify all streams correctly, but it does not display tables information, nor does it separate streams by programs.

I'm making these three TS files available for download, for testing purposes. There is a full 3 min. version for each of these three files (around 250MB each), and smaller 2MB versions for quick tests.
You can download these files here.
Username: Manhattan
Password: M4nh4tt4n

Some things I noticed using DGAVCindex:
- Sample 1 shows Mpeg Audio available in Audio Demux, but the same PID is identified as AAC LATM/LOAS in "Detect PIDs" menu;
- Sample 2 makes DGAVCIndex to crash while saving project with the complete file;
- Sample 2 is the only one of the three samples with 2 programs. If you click on "Set PID" Menu in DGAVCIndex, it automatically shows the Program 1 Vídeo PID with the PCR PID from Program 2.
- Sample 2 shows 25fps for the Baseline information window. In MediaInfo, it states that the stream is VFR.
- Sample 3 shows no audio for demuxing in "Audio Demux" window.

I know H.264 is itself is a relative new standard, and DGAVCIndex is in it's beginning. If you think these files might be worth of debugging, I would be very grateful.

Last edited by MBoufleur; 23rd May 2008 at 18:12.