Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 20th March 2006, 07:39   #321  |  Link
dimzon
BeHappy/MeGUI developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by berrinam
In particular, what advantage is there in integrating it into MeGUI as opposed to running it as a separate, already-working tool? It's good having primitive muxing in MeGUI, because it means that entire encodes can be managed automatically. But unless demuxing can be somehow integrated into an automated workflow in MeGUI, then it saves the user basically no work by our putting it in MeGUI, but it takes a lot of work for us to replicate YAMB's code (or mkvmergegui's, which is even more powerful).
MkvMerge has it's own GUI so I doesn't propose to implement yet another Matrosska muxer

But YAMB is "third-party" tool. I really think it's better to invite Kurtnoise to join in MeGUI development and move all YAMB functionality into MeGUI... YAMB is not stable until MP4BOX is beta. So Kurtnoise must perform adaptation sometimes for ne MP4BOX version. In other case we must support muxing part of code too... So joining MeGUI and YAMB we will get all code in one place, it's much easy to support
Old 20th March 2006, 07:53   #322  |  Link
berrinam

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimzon
In other case we must support muxing part of code too... So joining MeGUI and YAMB we will get all code in one place, it's much easy to support
It's not really going to be such a big hassle to change MP4Box code in MeGUI -- all of the relevant code should be contained in the one generateMP4BoxCommandline function. However, integrating YAMB into MeGUI could be a fair bit more work, and there is still no benefit for the user. Also, it just makes MeGUI even more bloated.
Old 20th March 2006, 08:07   #323  |  Link
dimzon
BeHappy/MeGUI developer

Quote:
However, integrating YAMB into MeGUI could be a fair bit more work, and there is still no benefit for the user. Also, it just makes MeGUI even more bloated.
I doesn't think is too hard to implement it. And I really dislike to use too much applications at once - so I prefer to add additional functionality to MeGUI. And other users doe't like it too. Really you need different applications to encode / mux / split / extract MP4. In opposit way VirtualDub perform everything in one application. This (usability/comfort) is one of reason why users prefer x264 VfW and AVI container. Anycase this work can be done/planned with lowest priority...
Old 20th March 2006, 08:37   #324  |  Link
berrinam

I can partly understand your reasons for wanting it.... just two final questions:
  1. What exactly do you have in mind for it?
  2. If we are going to put the level of flexibility with editing that VDub allows into MeGUI (which I think is a good idea for SOME application; not necessarily MeGUI), then wouldn't it be better to go the whole way and support matroska cutting as well. Once the GUI is done, the generation of the commandlines are trivial by comparison, as long as the code is well-designed.
Old 20th March 2006, 09:42   #325  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

Quote:
In fact, there was a feature called Safe Profile Alteration, but I believe it has been removed from MeGUI because it was a hassle and not particularly useful to us.
No, it's still there, but I noticed that it hasn't been updated when a codec's option get updated. And profiles are updated just fine.. just switch between two of them in a codec configuration dialog.

Quote:
but it takes a lot of work for us to replicate YAMB's code
Did you say lot? You probably mean LOOOOOOOOOOOOTS.. it would add another dimension to the "ideal mux path" finding (and the ideal encoder output finding.. that's already two dimensions too many).. and that code is making me insane as it is.
Old 20th March 2006, 10:41   #326  |  Link
dimzon
BeHappy/MeGUI developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doom9
it would add another dimension to the "ideal mux path" finding
Why? Maybe Your code have suboptimal architecture? Anycase we must wait until Your commit...
Old 21st March 2006, 22:21   #327  |  Link
berrinam

A few things to consider:

If MeGUI is meant to target an audience that knows nothing about video encoding (that's what I imagine the One Click Encoder is for), then it might be worthwhile adding some kind of 'quality' scheme, as a %, like other commercial programs do (wmeconder, for example). This would basically be implemented as a codec-specific mapping from a quality % to quantizer or crf-type mode.

Add extra support for Drag'n'Drop in the other windows. So, in a mux window, you could drag all the inputs in.

Also, I wonder how useful the 'and close' feature in the D2V creator and One Click Encoder is. Perhaps it would be better if it were checked by default, because the default behavior ATM is that pressing Queue/Go gives no indication that anything has happened. In fact, MeGUI has several quirks like this that make it confusing for the new user.
Old 22nd March 2006, 14:33   #328  |  Link
kurt
sidekick

Feature Request for xvid_encraw: cqm support with squid_80's build should work (maybe in cvs too?) - could this also be included in MeGUI?

and what about adding a custom commandline option in the xvid encoder dialog? (this feature exists for x264 under zones)

thx in advcance
(sorry, if this has been asked before)
Old 22nd March 2006, 16:13   #329  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

Quote:
Feature Request for xvid_encraw:
all of the options of squid's build are already supported in the code on my harddisk.. but it's other parts that are extremely broken so it will take weeks if not month before the whole thing is usable again. Add to that that I'm under constant deadline pressure at work so at home I really don't feel like writing more code.
Old 22nd March 2006, 16:22   #330  |  Link
kurt
sidekick

ok, Doom - thx for the clarification and there's no need to rush
Old 22nd March 2006, 21:39   #331  |  Link
cc979
Curious BetaTester

is it possible, on the log screen to have a clear log function because would quicker than reloading it, easier to kept track of things on multible encodes and it would save you from re-opening files too

Tools: ProcessExplorer & ProcessMonitor - BatchCompressor

Guide: MinGW Compiling GCC
Old 23rd March 2006, 09:32   #332  |  Link
berrinam

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc979
is it possible, on the log screen to have a clear log function
Yep, it's possible.
Quote:
because would quicker than reloading it, easier to kept track of things on multible encodes and it would save you from re-opening files too
I don't understand what you are saying.
Old 23rd March 2006, 17:55   #333  |  Link
cc979
Curious BetaTester

i must have been really tired, i meant it would be easier to clear the log screen - than reloading megui with opened avs files - so you could make profile changes quickly on test encodes and at a quick clear log encode and see problems quicker

cheers

Old 23rd March 2006, 18:49   #334  |  Link
cc979
Curious BetaTester

after reading thru the dev section and seeing all talk macros, magic numbers and things with saved settings and that

could it be possible to save the script from the main screen in some sort of xml file with all the settings, SAR, DAR included so you can encode stuff later and not worry and possibly with option to re-save it as as .avs script

Old 24th March 2006, 16:33   #335  |  Link
cc979
Curious BetaTester

just curious do the anime presets in Convolution3DYV12.dll work ok, i have added them to the ScriptServer.cs file seems ok

Old 26th March 2006, 16:19   #336  |  Link
Ogig

(Didn't know whether to post in bug thread or here, hope it's the right place.)

When using the Avisynth Script Generator I noticed that 720 is the maximum width. Is there a reason for this limitation ?
Old 28th March 2006, 12:10   #337  |  Link
GmorG McRoth

I'm not sure if somone else mentioned it already (If so, I'm with him), but could it be possible to change color of font in status window? currently is unreadable in most of windows themes I like to use. Screen shot
Old 29th March 2006, 09:23   #338  |  Link
berrinam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogig
When using the Avisynth Script Generator I noticed that 720 is the maximum width. Is there a reason for this limitation ?
Yep -- your source is only 720 pixels wide, and there's no point in upsizing unless you use a very advanced upsizer like iiP, in which case MeGUI can give you no help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GmorG McRoth
I'm not sure if somone else mentioned it already (If so, I'm with him), but could it be possible to change color of font in status window? currently is unreadable in most of windows themes I like to use. Screen shot
No. The font works well in the standard Windows themes, and there have been many other people posting skinned screenshots with no troubles like that. I don't know, but I'm pretty sure that MeGUI skins properly, so if there's something up, I would say there is something wrong with your font. And it simply requires way too much work to make every font skinnable. Perhaps dimzon can contribute his experience with HTMLayout to helping your problem, but other than that, I would say it is way too much work.
Old 29th March 2006, 09:25   #339  |  Link
berrinam

Quote:
i must have been really tired, i meant it would be easier to clear the log screen - than reloading megui with opened avs files - so you could make profile changes quickly on test encodes and at a quick clear log encode and see problems quicker
I can't really see the benefits, but I don't imagine it would be too much work, either, so I've added it to the list. I'm also considering a different approach to the log (see my next post [edit]no, don't. I changed my mind[/edit]) which may mean this isn't necessary.
Quote:
could it be possible to save the script from the main screen in some sort of xml file with all the settings, SAR, DAR included so you can encode stuff later and not worry and possibly with option to re-save it as as .avs script
What is there to store other than SAR/DAR?

Last edited by berrinam; 29th March 2006 at 10:52.
Old 29th March 2006, 09:38   #340  |  Link
dimzon
BeHappy/MeGUI developer

Quote:
Perhaps dimzon can contribute his experience with HTMLayout to helping your problem
Actually I want test IUI paradigm and HTMLayout in BeHappy and (if success) propose it to MeGUI Actually current MeGUI look and feel is too complex for novice.
Closed Thread