Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Subtitles
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 29th September 2008, 20:55   #10  |  Link
rica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulf View Post
I am currently converting my HD-DVD's to Blu-ray. In order to fit the content on a single layer DVD I downscale the movie to 720p and encode with x264. Everything is straightforward, except for downscaling of the subs. I extract the bitmaps to PNG format using SUPread. These are 8-bit PNG's with variable transparency (set in the tRNS chunk of the PNG files).
Neither Photoshop CS nor GIMP reads the full transparency data. I have found that ImageMagick (convert.exe) actually can convert the PNG's to 32-bit (with transparency preserved) and scale them down to 1280x720. Another command-line program, Pngnq, can convert the 32-bit PGN's back to 8-bit with variable transparency.
I now have a BDN XML file (720p) and a set of 8-bit PNG's. Does anyone know a way doing the opposite of what SUPread does, i.e. to create a "sup" subtitle file from a XML file and PNG's?
I have access to Scenarist and I made one Bly-ray compilation with the 720p content. The end result is perfect with subtitles looking as the original (no jaggy outlines). A much easier (and less costly) way would be to use the free tsMuxeR. The only obstacle is the lack of a program that can create a "sup" file from BDN XML file and PNG's. Can anyone help?
Thanks for the post.
I guess SubtitleWorkshop4 will accept your xml.
Please feedback.
rica is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
supread, suprip