Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > PC Hard & Software

Old 18th August 2004, 21:10   #1  |  Link
BradParker

Could it be heat, messing up my dvd's?

Hi

I run XP with all updates, burn with a lite-on 812s (...0Q firmware), currently burn on 'bulkpaq +r 4x gen.4', have latest aspi drivers (checked green in various aspi-check programs)...

The problem is old - burned disc go bad in the end, about 75% playing it gets hickups and freezes. But i'm curious why.

I found out that when i start burning in 2.4 with a coldstarted computer, the error rate isn't so high, but if it's the 3'rd or the 4'th disc it gets worse and worse - and i burn the exact same iso from decrypter everytime. At this time the drive is a frying pan on the top cover, but if i use a different media (Fujifilm DVD-RW) it burns 100% accurate and the disc is so hot when i comes i can barely hold it.

I'm thinking in terms of cooling the drive with an external fan would make less coasters of cheap media. I'm thinking the disc gets hotter and hotter as the laser moves towards the edge so the difference between the disc temperature and the laser burnpoint temperature has LESS difference than it had at the center when the disc was cold. Am i totally out in the blue here?

/Brad
BradParker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2004, 05:55   #2  |  Link
fccHandler
Registered Jedi

I'm convinced I killed my Pioneer DVD-ROM (not a burner) watching movies on it, without adequate cooling and ventilation. The discs would come out very hot when the movie was finished. Gradually over time, my movies started skipping and freezing. It only got worse, and now my poor DVD-ROM won't read any discs at all. When I finally removed the drive, I could see a faint brown spot on the top of the case.

I learned a valuable lesson then, and I won't make the same mistake with my Sony DVD burner. Heat is bad!
Old 20th August 2004, 23:31   #3  |  Link
theReal
Piper at theGates of Dawn

The discs are hot when you finished burning!!??? OMG, get some serious cooling! With that much heat inside your case you're not only frying DVDs you're also frying your HDs and memory.

Some people think I'm mad when they see my 4 case fans in addition to the watercooling - but then I ask "so when was your last BSOD?" and they get silent very quickly
Old 21st August 2004, 06:35   #4  |  Link
BradParker

Well... as a matter of fact i did get cooling after i wrote that post to see if any improvements were made. The thing is i had placed the dvd burner directly on top of the 80G harddrive in a single fan cooled closed housing, so no sheit... it got a bit hot

I ripped off the side covers, moved the burner to a more spacey place, ripped out the fans of some old computers, placed those under and over the burner. Now with this setup i burned 4 dvd+r 'bulkpaq' in 4x without a hickup from dvddecrypter whatsoever.

I hadn't really thought of the heat could be a problem b4. Most electronic devices work better when they reach a certain temperature (Hi-fi Amp's sound like crap when they are cold)

One notice still: Decrypter couldn't verify in top reading speed all the time, but i guess that is a media issue i'll have to live with.

"In a cool place"
/Brad
BradParker is offline   Reply With Quote