Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding

Closed Thread

Old 21st May 2004, 17:56   #441  |  Link
Umma

Quote:
Each bank is a 19 pole Allpass filter. Then feeding the resultant signals through my x-talk filter to produce better channel seperation.
Can you explain, or point me to someplace that explains what is meant by "pole" in the context of audio?

Thanks!
Old 21st May 2004, 22:37   #442  |  Link
Tantulus

mono to stereo & sirs

I wish I could afford more speakers so that I don't have to move mine for the ambiphonic affect; perhaps someday...

So far my favorit method is SAD5.1inbidule and I would like to experiment with the noisevault SIRS. Could someone suggest or give me a hint how to add them to the bidule and how to use the multiple impluses.(16 in one set).

Finally, hurrah for the mono to stereo bidule. I've bee doing it with Audition using delays, mixing and echo effects with mediocre results. I really envy all of you that construct these bidules.

Regards,
Scott

Last edited by Tantulus; 21st May 2004 at 22:47.
Old 22nd May 2004, 01:38   #443  |  Link
kempfand

Quote:
Could someone suggest or give me a hint how to add them to the bidule and how to use the multiple impluses
The answer was already given some posts above on this page by ursamtl:

"Adding SIR to the back (with another dummy SIR on the front channels) and loading it with an impulse recorded from a Lexicon 960 that I found at www.noisevault.com."

Note the importance of adding dummy SIR's (you'll need 2 to cover L, R, C), or else things will be out of sync due to SIR's latency.

As to which impulses: This really depends on your taste and the music, but if you read the posts at Noisevault, you'll get an idea of what people rank best (such as the Sony DRE777 or Lexicon 960 ones ).

For artificial reverbs, you can try
- Classic Reverb
- Ambience
- FreeVerb
or the various commercial ones from Wave Arts, SpinAudio, PSP, Waves, etc.)

Regards,
Andreas
Old 22nd May 2004, 15:36   #444  |  Link
Shayne

Hi,

Made me update bidule

Is anyone else having trouble with the new bidule 6601?

Or does anyone have it working with the guide?

Thank you

Peace
Old 22nd May 2004, 16:43   #445  |  Link
Umma

My files keep getting saved as "Raw PCM or Unsupported Format." Driving me bloody insane, it is! Can't figure it out!
Old 22nd May 2004, 17:05   #446  |  Link
kempfand

Look slike BeSweet currently only handles no WAVE Format Extensible and no 24-bit.

So you must set 'never' for the WAVE Format Extensible (with Preference), and use 16 or 32 bit for the Audio File Writer.

Regards,

Andreas
Old 23rd May 2004, 00:43   #447  |  Link
Umma

That did it, Andreas. Thanks.
Old 23rd May 2004, 15:39   #448  |  Link
PeterC

I get the following error from one of the mono to stereo groups in Bidule.

Unable to parse C:\program files\plogue\bidule\groups\mono to stereo 48.bgrp
An exception occurred! Type:UnexpectedEOFException, Message: The end of input was
not expected

What might be the cause of this ? :S
Old 23rd May 2004, 20:29   #449  |  Link
ursamtl

MatrixMixer bidule

Hi folks,

As promised, I just uploaded a zip file containing the bidule I created in an attempt to emulate the equations for 5.1 I found in the MatrixMixer DirectX filter available on SourceForge.net. I've also included a couple of screen grabs to show the basic layout I use (it includes the kX ASIO outputs, which you may not have) and my rear SIR settings. It's simply a first attempt so my apologies if it duplicates something someone else here has tried and I've overlooked.

Note that the two front channels by themselves sound almost like surround channels. Adding the center channel gives them the body they need. You can use the four level controls to play around with the mix, providing you can monitor. For the LFE level, if your input file has a lot of bass, back off on this level a bit.

One thing I may try to implement for next version is a crossover routing lower octaves from the center back to the individual front left and right channels (since a lot of center speakers don't have as full a range).

This was all done @ 44.1k, 16-bits. I haven't had time to experiment with higher levels. One thing I am curious about is that no one has mentioned dithering if you convert to 32 bits for processing and then write 16-bit files.

Anyway, enjoy. This gives a huge sound to some recordings with a lot of ambient pads, etc. I tried Seal's Love's Divine last night and it sounded gigantic! It also sounded great with the remastered tracks from Deep Purple Machine Head or Elton's Tiny Dancer.

Last edited by ursamtl; 23rd May 2004 at 23:06.
Old 23rd May 2004, 20:41   #450  |  Link
Eye of Horus
Banned

Re: MatrixMixer bidule

Quote:
Originally posted by ursamtl
One thing I am curious about is that no one has mentioned dithering if you convert to 32 bits for processing and then write 16-bit files.
When you convert in Soundforge from 16 bits to 32 bits, there is no dither option.
The 6 mono 32 bits files are directly used in Surcode.
So there is no dithering involved at all.......
Of course it would be different if you do the 32 to 16 bits in SF or CE !

I certainly will try out your method and compare it with the one we're currently working on (and the others)!

Good job and perhaps you can consider a newbie manual ?

kind regards,

EoH
Old 23rd May 2004, 20:44   #451  |  Link
specise_8472

About my Mono to Stereo conversion groups.

Had nothing but trouble with the new version of plogue.

So reverted back to the old version 6502. Works fine in this version. Will have to look into why. But I think all the fancy DSP preference settings etc are going to be nothing but trouble. So will stick with a known good version (6502).

Old 23rd May 2004, 20:48   #452  |  Link
kempfand

@ ursamtl: Thanks for sharing your bidule, I am keen to try it.

Quote:
This was all done @ 44.1k, 16-bits. I haven't had time to experiment with higher levels. One thing I am curious about is that no one has mentioned dithering if you convert to 32 bits for processing and then write 16-bit files.
I am just looking at this topic too. There are various commercial options (such as Wave's IDR which uses the Gerzon approach, or Wave Art's FinalPlug).

There is also a nice free version from maxim digital audio (mda) called mda dither .

Cheers,

Andreas

Last edited by kempfand; 23rd May 2004 at 23:33.
Old 23rd May 2004, 20:53   #453  |  Link
Eye of Horus
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by specise_8472
About my Mono to Stereo conversion groups.

Had nothing but trouble with the new version of plogue.

So reverted back to the old version 6502. Works fine in this version. Will have to look into why. But I think all the fancy DSP preference settings etc are going to be nothing but trouble. So will stick with a known good version (6502).
My old version said : trial version ended, new version available for download.
I tried the new version for only a brief moment with some new ideas, but didn't find any problem...... (I must admit however that I didn't use the filerecorder.....)

EoH
Old 23rd May 2004, 21:46   #454  |  Link
Tantulus

SIRs and Bidules

Thanks Andreas for your help. I was starting to add some SIR to the SAD5.1 bidule and forgot about the dummy SIRs. You saved me some frustration.

Ursamtl: Can't wait to try your bidule!
Species_8472: Your's too. It will be a while though.

There are so many bidules out there that I am becoming overwhelmed. I've been so busy testing what you all construct that I haven't had time to work on some myself. Once again, I am idebted!

Regards,
Scott

Last edited by Tantulus; 23rd May 2004 at 21:49.
Old 23rd May 2004, 23:16   #455  |  Link
ursamtl

Re: Re: MatrixMixer bidule

Quote:
Originally posted by Eye of Horus
When you convert in Soundforge from 16 bits to 32 bits, there is no dither option.
The 6 mono 32 bits files are directly used in Surcode.
So there is no dithering involved at all.......
Of course it would be different if you do the 32 to 16 bits in SF or CE !
No I meant dithering when converting back to 16-bit files. My understanding is that to do surround audio CDs, the files have to be 44.1khz and 16 bits. I know the 44.1 part is right because when I tried one at 48KHz, my DVD player just played digital noise. I haven't had time yet to try 32-bit files.
Quote:
Good job and perhaps you can consider a newbie manual ?
Thanks. Actually I wouldn't mind but it will take some time as I'm very busy at work. Plus, I want to investigate this whole field more. I'm fascinated by the potential.
Old 23rd May 2004, 23:27   #456  |  Link
Tantulus

RE matrix matrix bidule

Quote:
As promised, I just uploaded a zip file containing the bidule I created in an attempt to emulate the equations for 5.1 I found in the MatrixMixer DirectX filter available on SourceForge.net. I've also included a couple of screen grabs to show the basic layout I use (it includes the kX ASIO outputs, which you may not have)
IS KX ASIO necessary for your bidule and if so what does it do? I've downloaded the drivers but I'll wait for your respose before adding it.

Regards,
Scott
Old 24th May 2004, 00:42   #457  |  Link
ursamtl

Re: RE matrix matrix bidule

Quote:
Originally posted by Tantulus
IS KX ASIO necessary for your bidule and if so what does it do? I've downloaded the drivers but I'll wait for your respose before adding it.

Regards,
Scott
No not at all. Sorry I should have made that clearer. As I mentioned in a previous post, I use the kX drivers with my Soundblaster Live. These are free drivers available at www.kxproject.com and they provide an incredible increase in usability over the standard Creative drivers. For instance, you can have 15 channels of ASIO with almost no latency.

The bidule I uploaded to the ftp site has no kX output in it.
Old 24th May 2004, 09:49   #458  |  Link
Eye of Horus
Banned

Re: Re: Re: MatrixMixer bidule

Quote:
Originally posted by ursamtl
[B]No I meant dithering when converting back to 16-bit files. My understanding is that to do surround audio CDs, the files have to be 44.1khz and 16 bits. I know the 44.1 part is right because when I tried one at 48KHz, my DVD player just played digital noise. I haven't had time yet to try 32-bit files.
But I did mention that !!
The 6 mono 32 bits files can be used in Surcode to create an audio CD. There is no need to convert them to 16 bits first ! Surcode itself handles the conversion back to 16 bits.

EoH
Old 24th May 2004, 09:54   #459  |  Link
Eye of Horus
Banned

name

BTW under which name did you upload them ?
I cannot find the bidule on needful things........

EoH
Old 24th May 2004, 12:58   #460  |  Link
@ndy

Re: name

Quote:
Originally posted by Eye of Horus
BTW under which name did you upload them ?
I cannot find the bidule on needful things........

EoH
Hello EoH,
I guess you wouldn`t find the *.zip file on needfulthings cause daphy is on holidays. So this site isn`t uptodate also unless the last provider killed our webspace.

You should find this file on my FTP- Server in the incomming folder. The original Post from ursamtl is dated 23.05. and I didn`t moved any files

BTW: I played with creating myself a website to have a second mirror of the FTP- Server which is really slow

I`ll post the url this evening when I`m finished

CU
@ndy
Closed Thread