Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > (HD) DVD & Blu-ray authoring
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 18th April 2008, 21:12   #1  |  Link
spooker

Ratatouille Blu-Ray to x264

This is my first time posting, so I apologize if I'm posting in the wrong forum, but I think the problem has more to do with how the .m2ts file is prepared than the encoding to x264 result.

The Problem:
I want to play my Blu-Ray copy of Ratatouille on my Apple TV so I rip with AnyDVD HD and merge the segments in the correct order using tsMuxer. Normally this is where I would drop the resulting .m2ts file into VisualHub ( I'm on a Mac ) and I end up with an x264 file in an MP4 container, playable on both the AppleTV and PS3. This has worked for all of my Blu-Ray movies ( except the titles using VC-1 because ffmpeg does a pretty bad job of decoding them, leaves blocky artifacts ). With Ratatouille, I can play .m2ts file in something like VLC, Mplayer, or on the PS3, but when I try to encode to x264, the playback is jumpy. The jumps are consistent in their spacing and persistent throughout the file. The only thing I can guess is that it has something to do with how I prepare the .m2ts file in tsMuxer.

Note:
I've tried using Toast 9 to convert the file, which will even encode from a VC-1 source, but it always screws up the keyframing and give big blocky artifacts regardless of how high the bitrate is ( and it takes waaay longer than ffmpegx or VisualHub ).

I've tried using something like MediaCoder, but it crapped out on me and I find anything involving avisynth scripts to be terrifying.

Any suggestions?
spooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2008, 00:53   #2  |  Link
umberto21

Ht2s

Have you tried opening your .MT2S in Directshow's graphEdit ?
Does it play OK ? Which codec does it use ?

Maybe the frame rate of that particular movie is incompatible with the MP4/x264 format ? (although I am sure BluRay must have some standard like 25 FPS or 30FPS).
Maybe the conversion or playback requires some re-encoding filter.
Try converting with another program (than Mediacoder) : try ConvertHQ or some other app.

U.
umberto21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2008, 21:02   #3  |  Link
spooker

The file plays well in VLC and MPlayer. The Codec is is H.264 at 24fps. If it plays fine in both of these apps, why would it have a problem converting?
spooker is offline   Reply With Quote