Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > IFO/VOB Editors

Old 18th September 2006, 00:50   #401  |  Link
blutach
Country Member

Just fantastic as usual. Thanks for the prompt attention to all our requests and bug reports. So much more than the Swiss Army Knife of DVD Editing.

Regards

Only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media.
blutach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2006, 03:25   #402  |  Link
David Star

Pgcedit

"Maybe later", is a promising hope. With Scenarist HD in $50,000.00 and Bluy Ray Print in $60,000.00, seem than HD-DVD is exclusive for wealthy people. But for a long time exist programs to edit video in HD DVD, and Ulead recently came out DVD Movie Factory Plus 5 to accomplish authoring in HD DVD, in $80.00 Hardware will come soon to most people to accessible pricing. They suggest these indicators to us that people soon will change also DVD to HD-DVD. According to I have understood, majority of technical specifications for DVD will survive in the HD-DVD. Then, you Roiz, that you are a brilliant programmer, will see there will be no superlative differences among DVD and HD-DVD. Time will tell. I hope so soon than complete specifications for HD-DVD, be known by us. In addition, with the new plugin Vobu, Pgcedit becomes more powerful. I design authoring DVD with navigation advanced thanks to you, Roiz, with pgcedit, my favorite program for reauthoring (world champion).
David Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2006, 06:26   #403  |  Link
President

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0lZ
PgcEdit v7.4 released
Many thank's, Roland, for a new version and new functions&improvements!

Last edited by President; 18th September 2006 at 06:37. Reason: misprint
President is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2006, 08:54   #404  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

@David
Yes, HD-DVD will have to be similar to the current DVD-Video format, for compatibility reasons. That's why PgcEdit as it is now should be compatible with this new format.
Unfortunately, to be able to enjoy the new high definition, you need expensive TV sets and players. Furthermore, and that's important for the reauthoring scene, the CSS encryption (or is it called differently?) is greatly improved, and will probably never be cracked. It will therefore be impossible to use PgcEdit on a protected HD-DVD, and I'm not sure I will develop my program only to be used on personal DVDs.

@President: Thanks!
r0lZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2006, 16:36   #405  |  Link
laserfan
Aging Video Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0lZ View Post
PgcEdit v7.4 released: A. New function Trace menu -> State -> Restart Playback from Exit Domain, to begin the playback at Title 1 instead of at the First-Play PGC...
I don't see this option & wonder if my installation might be wrong? One just copies the new .exe into the PgcEdit directory, yes? I looked hard at the release notes because the behavior of 7.4 seems to have changed for me. I use PgcEdit mostly to "Jump to PGC upon DVD insert" and with 7.4 it appears to work differently:

1. Trace thru the intro cells, make menu selections, get to main title and Break.

2. Toggle PGC pre/post breakpoint (turns red)

3. Insert DVD (Restart Trace) and Run again.

4. Step thru those intro cells, but THIS TIME I DIDN'T SEE THE MENU--WENT STRAIGHT TO THE PGC!

5. Selected "Jump to PGC" and get "The pre-commands jumped-outside the target..." message and looped-thru the menu selection process again one time.

6. Reached the breakpoint again and this time "Jump to PGC" worked.

So the process worked, but it is different from what I'm used-to in that in Step 4 I didn't have to make my menu selections again; PgcEdit seemed to anticipate what I was going to do.

Was a change made to this behavior, could this be an anomaly of the DVD, or have I just lost my mind and it's always worked this way.

Y'know how you do something over & over again, and then it's different and it freaks you out a little!
laserfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2006, 17:34   #406  |  Link
jeanl

Thanks r0lZ! Awesome! I especially love the VOBU plugin! That rocks!
jeanl
Old 18th September 2006, 19:43   #407  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Thanks Jeanl!

Laserfan, the new function is the last item of the State menu of the trace. You can launch it also by right-clicking on the normal Reset Trace button. If it doesn't work, try to download and install PgcEdit again.
Yes, it is sufficient to overwrite PgcEdit.exe to install it.

I don't know why you got another navigation when you started the trace again. Are you sure you have reset the trace by clicking on the Reset button (with the insert/eject icon)? Also, be sure to wait 1 or 2 seconds before clicking the Run button, or the trace might still be in its initialization phase.
Maybe you are facing a funny authoring with some sort of random navigation?
Anyway, the trace should still work like before. I have only added the new way to reset it, and it should not influence the behaviour of the navigation.
Could you retry? Also with another DVD. And please let me know if it worked. Thanks!

Note: Though not frequent, the "The pre-commands jumped-outside the target..." message is normal. It happens when the PGC is entered first to establish a valid return point for the RSM command, but is exited before the video has been played. Don't worry!
Old 18th September 2006, 22:58   #408  |  Link
blutach
Country Member

Yeah, I tested the VOBU plugin last night to get rid of an FBI and I suspect it could also be used to delete playback of closing credits.

Will we be able to reclaim space with VobBlanker and/or FixVTS?

Regards

Old 18th September 2006, 23:00   #409  |  Link
laserfan
Aging Video Hobbyist

Quote:
Laserfan, the new function is the last item of the State menu of the trace...If it doesn't work, try to download and install PgcEdit again.
There it is. I did install properly but didn't know where to look!

Quote:
I don't know why you got another navigation when you started the trace again...Maybe you are facing a funny authoring with some sort of random navigation? Anyway, the trace should still work like before.
Actually what threw me was that the navigation stopped at the main title (by the breakpoint I'd set) and I just haven't seen that before. For some reason on this disc the navigation moves thru the main title on its way to the main menu etc. i.e. it "stopped early" at the breakpoint.

It does the same thing every time so I tried another disc and sure enough, PgcEdit works as it's supposed to and as I expected. So I just picked exactly the *wrong* disc (Munich) to make my first v7.4 run on! My sincere apologies!!!!

Thanks for a great tool!
laserfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2006, 00:00   #410  |  Link
jeanl

Quote:
Originally Posted by blutach View Post
Yeah, I tested the VOBU plugin last night to get rid of an FBI and I suspect it could also be used to delete playback of closing credits.

Will we be able to reclaim space with VobBlanker and/or FixVTS?

Regards
No, not with FixVTS, and vobblanker will complain that the pointers don't match any more. FixVTS isn't smart enough to detect that part of a cell is unreferenced and get rid of it. However, whatever is unreferenced will be in the unreferenced material in DVD Shrink, where you can squash it to death! That's the hurried-man's way to remove end credits!
Jeanl
Old 19th September 2006, 02:48   #411  |  Link
blutach
Country Member

Aaah - thanks Jean. I didn't think so and suspected VobBlanker would give that cell table mismatch error and use the VTS_C_ADT table entry.

Probably DVD Remake Pro can eliminate this for good.

Or a cell split in VobBlanker followed by a blanking?

Regards

Old 19th September 2006, 07:45   #412  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

On this subject, I've received a mail explaining that this trick did not work on some players.
Maybe I have to modify also the VTS_C_ADT table. But currently I use VTS_C_ADT to pick the original start and end VOBU of the cell. It's necessary to be able to undo a previous change, or to enlarge a cell that has been reduced with the vobu plugin.

Therefore, if I modify also VTS_C_ADT, I will have to parse the VOB files to find the real start and end of the cell by looking at the V/CIDs. It's not really difficult, but it's time consuming.

I can also add a checkbox "Modify also the VTS_C_ADT table" with a warning explaining that it's not undoable, but I don't like this idea too much.

Anyway, I wonder if it is important to modify VTS_C_ADT also. What do you think?
Old 19th September 2006, 08:40   #413  |  Link
blutach
Country Member

You can get the VTS_C_ADT back from the PgcEdit_backup folder yes? I know that takes you back to the start, so maybe do an incremental backup first?

Regards

Old 19th September 2006, 08:54   #414  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Hum, I don't like this method. The backup is optional, and anyway, if you want to modify a DVD after having burned it, the backup is lost. And that's not really easy, too, since I have to load and process an IFO file just for one value.
If I have to parse a file, I prefer to look in the VOB files.
Thanks anyway for the idea.
Old 19th September 2006, 17:05   #415  |  Link
jeanl

Quote:
Anyway, I wonder if it is important to modify VTS_C_ADT also. What do you think?
I really don't know, but I wouldn't change anything until being 100% sure that changing VTS_C_ADT would make it work. You should get in touch with the person who says it does not work, make sure they haven't screwed up something else, and then ask them to correct VTS_C_ADT manually and see if that makes it work...
But I really don't see why the player would even go look at that table, but who knows!
Jeanl
Old 20th September 2006, 11:25   #416  |  Link
Sir Didymus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanl
No, not with FixVTS, and vobblanker will complain that the pointers don't match any more. FixVTS isn't smart enough to detect that part of a cell is unreferenced and get rid of it...
But that's not a fault of FixVTS or VobBlanker...
The point is that both the table VTS_C_ADT and its counterpart in the titleset or menu PGC should not contain different information (possibly, and hopefully) if this information have the same meaning - i.e. defining the start sector and the end sector of a given cell.

Quote:
IMO yes... or better, it should be nice...

Well - if I can say this - it's like you are including an harpoon inside your Swiss knife...

I mean, with the usage of this plugin the overall possibility to change start and end sectors of the cells respect to the "real" values, as present in the VOBs, is very tricky (and possibly leading to troubles...): as minimum it may imply to cut some GOP or audio... For example, making these changes may lead to MPEG2 stream orphan of the sequence start and end codes, to trow away GOP headers, and so on, screwing up quite seriously the DVD...

I did not test it, but I think I have no difficulties to agree with players eventually complaining about the playback of MPEG2 streams orphan of some sequence codes...

What do you think about ?

Last edited by Sir Didymus; 20th September 2006 at 13:40.
Sir Didymus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2006, 16:58   #417  |  Link
jeanl

My understanding is that a GOP is almost self contained: the only thing it might need to be decoded properly would be a P-frames from the previous GOP. I don't think it's possible to cut off a stream start code from the rest of the mpeg data: all the start/end codes will be contained in the same GOP (that's for sure). I'm not too sure why some players complain, but it could be because the GOP is open (relies on a frame from the previous GOP to decode) perhaps?
jeanl
Old 20th September 2006, 18:27   #418  |  Link
Sir Didymus

I see...
after playing a little with the plugin, that it keeps the cutting points at the VOBu boundaries, so GOP headers and structure should be safe.

Also the whole plugin operation is affecting just the first and the last cells of a pgc, so its "impact" is relatively limited...

Finally the message box telling to apply the modification at user's own risk is very appropriate...

Anyway the problem related to making orphan the MPEG2 stream of the sequence start and end codes is still present, since a single seq_start and a single seq_end should (and are) normally present in an overall MPEG2 stream...

In any case, all of the doubts related to the open GOPs are still here...

Let's wait for other comments on the matter...

Cheers,
SD

Edit: some spelling...

Last edited by Sir Didymus; 21st September 2006 at 09:58.
Old 20th September 2006, 18:45   #419  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Honestly, I have nothing to say for my defense!
I wrote this plugin at the request of several users, but I know it's a big risk of problems. It's why I have refused until now to let the user modify the cells start and end addresses directly from the cell table editor, and that I have finally implemented this function as a plugin only, with some severe limitations, such as the cut at a nav pack only, and the ability to cut only the beginning or the end of the PGC.
But I want to improve the plugin so that it is as safe as possible. Since I'm not a VOB expert, I rely on this discussion to find the best solution.
BTW, the user that has reported the problems is Tobi, and I'm sure he read this forum.
Old 20th September 2006, 19:28   #420  |  Link
Sir Didymus

Quote:
Honestly, I have nothing to say for my defense!
Oh, oh...

Well, in any case, please do not take any single one of my comments - even if given in very friendly terms - as a criticism !!!

I am quite convinced PgcEdit is approaching the perfection, and everyone here should be grateful to you for making it available to the community...