Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > New and alternative video codecs

Old 18th April 2004, 10:02   #21  |  Link
illiminable

Just to let people know there is now an update to these filters... www.illiminable.com/ogg/

I've added encoders for speex and vorbis, and a single stream mux (doesn't interleave yet)...

Some example filter graphs for encoding/transcoding are shown here www.illiminable.com/ogg/graphedit.html

Also added support for OGM style video encapsulation (only handles OGM video)(examples are vorbis + divx in ogg) to connect to ffdshow. This still is not working quite right. It connects and plays, but the video is clumpy... haven't quite figured that out yet.

Still haven't got around to seeking yet... been doing the easy stuff first

Enjoy,

Zen.
illiminable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2004, 11:55   #22  |  Link
savage747

Great work illiminable!

BTW: Did you get any help on that "Granule pos bug" (theora-dev@xiph.org)? Have you tried contacting a developer in IRC?
savage747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2004, 12:28   #23  |  Link
illiminable

Thanks, yeah i sorted part of teh granule pos issue out... the part where it increases really fast... there is some weird method of marking keyframes.

But i haven't really got a conclusive answer for the -1 / no packtes end on this page case.

Just an aside... if anyone is using the encoders... don't distribute the files it creates... they are currently not to spec (no checksums and invalid paging of the first few packets)... even though my decoders play them... most others won't... i'm just working on that now... i've got the paging issue fixed... now i'm just trying to figure out why my checksums don't match !

Hopefully the source will be ready for release by the end of the week.
Old 18th April 2004, 12:40   #24  |  Link
savage747

Quote:
Originally posted by illiminable

Just an aside... if anyone is using the encoders... don't distribute the files it creates... they are currently not to spec (no checksums and invalid paging of the first few packets)
Distributing alpha-3 encoded files isnīt a good idea even when using the official encoder: The bitstream is not yet frozen (although changes will only happen when absolutely necessary AFAIK).
Old 18th April 2004, 12:56   #25  |  Link
slavickas
I'm Shpongled

i think he meant vorbis/speex only encoding, if i correctly understood
slavickas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2004, 13:15   #26  |  Link
savage747

Quote:
Originally posted by slavickas
i think he meant vorbis/speex only encoding, if i correctly understood
Argh... yes, of course... must have been confused...
Old 18th April 2004, 13:27   #27  |  Link
illiminable

Yep... that is what i meant !

I've fixed the checksum and paging issues... a new version just went up then 0.52.0093. But i think there is a slight problem with the granule pos which causes some other players (though not mine) to experience a slight time-stretching distortion in a few places.

I still wouldn't recommend using these codecs to create files you intend to distribute just yet.
Old 25th April 2004, 00:02   #28  |  Link
bond

illiminable,
i saw that you are also working on an ogg muxer! are planning to support ogm-style muxing of a/v tracks or only the official xiph formats in the ogg way (+ remuxing of theora stored in the ogm way to the ogg way?)

keep up the good work

MPEG-4 ASP FAQ | AVC/H.264 FAQ | AAC FAQ | MP4 FAQ | MP4Menu stores DVD Menus in MP4 (guide)
Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis
use WM9 today and get Micro$oft controlling the A/V market tomorrow for free
bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2004, 16:29   #29  |  Link
illiminable

Quote:
Originally posted by bond
illiminable,
i saw that you are also working on an ogg muxer! are planning to support ogm-style muxing of a/v tracks or only the official xiph formats in the ogg way (+ remuxing of theora stored in the ogm way to the ogg way?)

keep up the good work
Yes... the single stream muxer... suitable for muxing vorbis or speex only ogg files is almost done... it's in the last release though it still has some defects in it's paging and timestamping.

As for ogm... i'll be supporting the playback of ogm files (anyone know where i can download some from with moderate priority... the demux already supports ogm video + ogg vorbis mixed streams(such as the lego man movies (divx + vorbis) i link to on my website)... adding support for the audio also won't be very hard.

As for muxing of ogm... unfortunately that's a fairly low priority at the moment... once i can mux proper theora + vorbis ogg files properly to spec i'll start looking at that.

But i am also going to start adding annodex(www.annodex.net) support... which is another project i'm working on... i guess it could be interesting to the fansubbers, if they want to check it out ! This may take precedence over doing ogm muxing, depends how much spare time i get. Though you never know... ogm muxing is not all that complicated.

There will be a new release tomorrow, that includes seeking and position info for speex and vorbis... though still not for theora or flac. I just finished it then... but i think i'll sleep on it, and then package it tomorrow.

Also source will be available within the next 2-3 days. Basicly once i stop trying to do "just one more feature" and start tidying it up. Which should hopefully be about now !

Last edited by illiminable; 27th April 2004 at 11:27.
Old 27th April 2004, 11:28   #30  |  Link
illiminable

New version with seeking for speex and vorbis is available and a few other fixes...

www.illiminable.com/ogg/
Old 21st May 2004, 12:49   #31  |  Link
illiminable

Another update to these filters. Now you can seek in theora as well as vorbis and speex.

Theora still has the odd sporadic crash when seeking, but it seeks succesfully most of the time and stays in synch, though there is still more issues to sort out. It doesn't seek to keyframes so you get blockiness until the next keyframe arrives.

New versions available here...
www.illiminable.com/ogg/
Old 21st May 2004, 13:16   #32  |  Link
bond

good to see that things are evolving

MPEG-4 ASP FAQ | AVC/H.264 FAQ | AAC FAQ | MP4 FAQ | MP4Menu stores DVD Menus in MP4 (guide)
Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis
Old 21st May 2004, 13:34   #33  |  Link
illiminable

Yep... moving along again now... had to do some major changes to sort out the sync problems... and i've been quite busy with other things the last few weeks.

Hopefully not too much longer until they are all fully functional.
Old 2nd June 2004, 20:38   #34  |  Link
bond

now as ogg theora has been finalized i had again a deeper look at your filter set

somehow everytime i try to use your ogg muxer, it creates a "name.ogg.asf" file
also its funny to see that its possible in dshow to combine file writer and muxer into 1 filter

are you planning to add a theora encoder filter too btw?

Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis
Old 2nd June 2004, 21:03   #35  |  Link
illiminable

If you are using graphedit... to avoid the asf thing, choose in the drop box "All files"... i dunno why it does that !

You think it's bad to mix writer and muxer in one ?

I will probably create a filter with an output in the future because you may want to output that over a network instead of a file for example.

The skeleton of the theora encoder went into xiph svn tonight... but i haven't filled it in yet... there's still a problem with wmp9 and the theora decoder... it needs a bit of a rewrite to fix

The version in svn... has fixed most of the muxing bugs, and accepts multiply input streams.

I have exams starting... so it may or may not get done soon !
Old 2nd June 2004, 21:17   #36  |  Link
bond

Quote:
Originally posted by illiminable
[B]If you are using graphedit... to avoid the asf thing, choose in the drop box "All files"... i dunno why it does that !
hm the muxer says " output.ogg.* ", but i think it doesnt matter anyways

Quote:
You think it's bad to mix writer and muxer in one ?
no, i only never saw this before

Quote:
I will probably create a filter with an output in the future because you may want to output that over a network instead of a file for example.
sounds powerful

Quote:
The skeleton of the theora encoder went into xiph svn tonight... but i haven't filled it in yet... there's still a problem with wmp9 and the theora decoder... it needs a bit of a rewrite to fix
The version in svn... has fixed most of the muxing bugs, and accepts multiply input streams.
nice

Quote:
I have exams starting... so it may or may not get done soon
keep up the good work!

Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis
Old 7th July 2004, 20:45   #37  |  Link
illiminable

Well... after a brief break... a new update is ready... quite a few new things added.

Most notably the ability to stream files from a http source.. the buffering is pretty much straight through at the moment... so you need to make sure you haev enough bandwidth to stream the desired file. Theres a few other limitations that are listed in known issues on my site.

The other major feature added is the theora encoder filter... i have also put together a brief how-to for how to transcode using graphedit to theora. http://www.illiminable.com/ogg/enc_t...graphedit.html and as before you can still encode/transcode speex or vorbis from any format you can play in windows, see www.illiminable.com/ogg/graphedit.html

Also a lot of stuff to properly have file masks show up in media player and to let you put files in the new Media Library in WMP 9+... theora still won't play in WMP9+ unfortunately... i need to spend a good solid day debugging that... but it will play in graphedit or something like bsplayer.

You can download the binaries here (0.60.7043) www.illiminable.com/ogg/ or the source can be checked out of svn at http://svn.xiph.org/trunk/oggdsf/ Check out revision 7043 for the source that built those binaries... no doubt the head branch will be different soon enough.

Enjoy, and send me feedback if you have any problems.

Zen.
Old 9th July 2004, 19:23   #38  |  Link
Atamido
Seņor Member

Congradulations on making the encode/decode filters seperate. Very much appreciated. Once you get them to work with the Matroska filters and things like CoreVorbis, perhaps you could help out to make the Matroska Splitter accept streaming connections?
Atamido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2004, 20:39   #39  |  Link
Atamido
Seņor Member

Two small items.

1. I could not connect the Theora Encoder to the FFDshow filter until I disabled all outputs other than the YV12 output in the filter properties.

2. FFDshow tried to play the Theora file and would decode only the first frame, corrupt the second, and then freeze. Had to disable decoding Theora in FFDshow.

Using 20040418 and 20040629 version of FFDShow.
Atamido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2004, 09:59   #40  |  Link
illiminable

Quote:
perhaps you could help out to make the Matroska Splitter accept streaming connections?
The ability to use streaming is mainly based around an abstraction of source, i have a filter source interface, and it is implemented both as a file source or a network source.

Another thing i did from the outset after painful experiences in the past is to make the splitter a source filter, with an interface to change the source, rather than using the supplied "File Source" and "URL source" filters which i found to be really restrictive.

Quote:
1. I could not connect the Theora Encoder to the FFDshow filter until I disabled all outputs other than the YV12 output in the filter properties.
Yeah... libtheora can only sucessfully encode 4:2:0 YUV (YV12), there is some support for 4:2:2 (YUY2) and 4:4:4, but encoding using these formats at the moment is not very successful.

So what the filter does is downsample any YUY2 to YV12, but i haven't written any way to translate any other formats.

So that's not really a bug, it just hasn't been written yet !

Quote:
2. FFDshow tried to play the Theora file and would decode only the first frame, corrupt the second, and then freeze. Had to disable decoding Theora in FFDshow.
I'm not sure what happened there... when ffdshow first added support for theora it worked, but i supsect since then i've made some changes which ffdshow hasn't propagated yet. You should let the ffdshow folks know, so that they can check it out... When they first did it i hadn't released the source so they had to do some guesswork for some things... but the source is now available so they should be able to figure out what is different now.

Cheers,

Zen.