Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 17th February 2018, 16:03   #49021  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post
Playing cinema content in a 23.976Hz multiple means that audio will be 1% too slow and yes you can hear the difference when A/B'ing
Its 0.1%, actually. I doubt any normal person can hear that, unless they have really trained ears.
Old 17th February 2018, 16:20   #49022  |  Link
ashlar42

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCRaistlin View Post
Is there a media player that supports madVR and can play acestream links?
Yes. MPC-BE can open acestream links in latest versions.
ashlar42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2018, 16:24   #49023  |  Link
Ver Greeneyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
Its 0.1%, actually. I doubt any normal person can hear that, unless they have really trained ears.
I imagine you could tell them apart when A/B testing, but you'd never notice anything wrong if you weren't listening to them side by side.
Ver Greeneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2018, 16:28   #49024  |  Link
d3rd3vil

Can you work with this for implementing DV in madvr maybe? ^^

https://www.dolby.com/us/en/technolo...ormat-v2.0.pdf
https://www.dolby.com/us/en/technolo...ormat-v1.1.pdf
d3rd3vil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2018, 17:34   #49025  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
Right, anyway music becomes out of tune and you can certainly tell the difference when A/B'ing. It's been shot and is meant to be watched at 24fps, 23.976 is a dodgy legacy from NTSC TV's I believe and there's hardly any genuine 23.976 content out there apart from some TV stuff.
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2018, 18:08   #49026  |  Link
DragonQ

Wow, didn't realise madVR was 30 MB these days. First thing I do when I download it is re-compress to 7z so it's 13 MB.
Old 17th February 2018, 18:19   #49027  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonQ View Post
Wow, didn't realise madVR was 30 MB these days
Who cares? Might as well be 100MB if PQ keeps improving
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2018, 18:41   #49028  |  Link
el Filou

@Asmodian @huhn @ryrynz I think steakhutzeee's issue is that for some reason the upstream filter is not detecting his PAL DVDs as film material and is outputting an interlaced stream to madVR.

@steakhutzeee
1. create two PAL profiles in madVR, one for 'PAL video' and one for 'PAL [film/cinema/progressive/whatever name you prefer]', that way you can then configure the first profile to target a frame time of 20 ms and avoid dropped frames when watching video PAL (e.g. DVD bonuses), and configure the second profile to target a frame time of 40 ms for which you can use higher quality scaling.
Example:
Code:
if (srcHeight <= 576) and (deintFps < 26) "PAL film"
else if (srcHeight <= 576) "PAL video"
2. You need to check your video decoder settings, and possibly your player, and fiddle with the settings until you see "deinterlacing off (says upstream)", like this: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Qu...5RKj2lxJuM5ZR0
If you have some discs where you can't get that result, then as Asmodian said they're probably badly mastered.
If you cannot get that result with any of your PAL DVDs then something is wrong with your decoder/player (for example, with MediaPortal if I play a PAL DVD via the menu, LAV stays in interlaced mode when I start playing the main feature, I have to stop playback and then resume directly from the movie for it to switch to progressive).
If you use LAV Video, 'Deinterlacing Mode' should be on Auto.
Old 17th February 2018, 18:45   #49029  |  Link
steakhutzeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by el Filou View Post
@Asmodian @huhn @ryrynz I think steakhutzeee's issue is that for some reason the upstream filter is not detecting his PAL DVDs as film material and is outputting an interlaced stream to madVR.

@steakhutzeee
1. create two PAL profiles in madVR, one for 'PAL video' and one for 'PAL [film/cinema/progressive/whatever name you prefer]', that way you can then configure the first profile to target a frame time of 20 ms and avoid dropped frames when watching video PAL (e.g. DVD bonuses), and configure the second profile to target a frame time of 40 ms for which you can use higher quality scaling.
Example:
Code:
if (srcHeight <= 576) and (deintFps < 26) "PAL film"
else if (srcHeight <= 576) "PAL video"
2. You need to check your video decoder settings, and possibly your player, and fiddle with the settings until you see "deinterlacing off (says upstream)", like this: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Qu...5RKj2lxJuM5ZR0
If you have some discs where you can't get that result, then as Asmodian said they're probably badly mastered.
If you cannot get that result with any of your PAL DVDs then something is wrong with your decoder/player (for example, with MediaPortal if I play a PAL DVD via the menu, LAV stays in interlaced mode when I start playing the main feature, I have to stop playback and then resume directly from the movie for it to switch to progressive).
If you use LAV Video, 'Deinterlacing Mode' should be on Auto.
Thanks very much for your intervention

At the moment is very difficult to me to put my hands on my dvd and my PC these days because I'm in the middle of moving my house. I'm going to try asap.

Thanks again!
Old 17th February 2018, 22:34   #49030  |  Link
Dean007

Hey. Hope someone can help me. Today I updated k lite codec pack, and when I go full screen bottom bar (seek bar) is the same as in window mode. Before it was just blueish seek bar. It was way better. Is this because of Madvr? Anyone knows how to get it back?
Dean007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2018, 00:02   #49031  |  Link
XMonarchY

Does anyone use madVR to upscale or enhancement non-motion, still images, photos, textures, etc? I know madVR is meant for motion, but it has so many upscaling and overall options that it seems like it could have advantages over common upscaling techniques used in Photoshop and GIMP, especially for amateur users like me.

MadVR has many more options for upscaling, downscaling, artifact removal, sharpness, and a ton of other functions used in still imagery creation and editing. It would be nice if there were "madVR plugins" for common editing software like Photoshop, GIMP, and Paint.NET. Unless of course and madVR features are quite useless for still imagery enhancement.

Last edited by XMonarchY; 18th February 2018 at 00:04.
Old 18th February 2018, 02:06   #49032  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by el Filou View Post
yeah of cause it is. there is no auto detection.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2018, 02:25   #49033  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean007 View Post
Before it was just blueish seek bar. It was way better. Is this because of Madvr? Anyone knows how to get it back?
Yes. That's madvr's exclusive mode seek bar. Go into your player and set madvr as renderer. If need be set madvr to exclusive mode.. Klite shouldn't have changed your madvr settings though.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2018, 02:28   #49034  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMonarchY View Post
Does anyone use madVR to upscale or enhancement non-motion, still images, photos, textures, etc?
I do know madshi has plans to allow users to use his algorithms in Avisynth/Vapoursynth, outside of that you'll just have to wait and see.. I doubt you'll see anything this year. So for right now you'll just have to use the screenshot functionality on your upscaled images within your player.
Old 18th February 2018, 05:41   #49035  |  Link
QBhd
QB the Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCRaistlin View Post
Is there a media player that supports madVR and can play acestream links?
No but you can use the AceStream Player and setup up a stream output that can then be opened up in your favorite madVR capable player:

https://prnt.sc/igafpe

Once the AceStream is running just open this in your player (I use PotPlayer):

Code:
http://localhost:8902/tv.asf
This is off-topic and should be discussed elsewhere. But yes it can be done easily, I do it all the time.

QB
Old 18th February 2018, 08:48   #49036  |  Link
cork_OS

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMonarchY View Post
MadVR has many more options for upscaling, downscaling, artifact removal, sharpness, and a ton of other functions used in still imagery creation and editing. It would be nice if there were "madVR plugins" for common editing software like Photoshop, GIMP, and Paint.NET. Unless of course and madVR features are quite useless for still imagery enhancement.
madshi has already answered this question:
Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
I may consider creating a Photoshop plugin at some point in the future. There might be different algo speed levels available in the future. But yes, these algos need to be manually adjusted per video, which does reduce their real life suitability.
Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Photoshop plugins are supported by several Windows photo tools. So it makes the most sense. Any other plugin type is specific to only one tool, which makes no sense to me.
Old 18th February 2018, 09:18   #49037  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by cork_OS View Post
madshi has already answered this question:
Shh, using search is hard.
Old 18th February 2018, 12:55   #49038  |  Link
el Filou

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
yeah of cause it is. there is no auto detection.
Do you mean there is an issue on his system, or it isn't possible?
LAV can detect my PAL DVDs as films and disable the interlace flag on output pin (see my OSD screenshot: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Qu...5RKj2lxJuM5ZR0 , this is playing directly from a retail disc)
Edit: I arrived to this conclusion because when I play bonuses madVR then says "deinterlacing on (says upstream)", same with DVB SD TV recordings.

Last edited by el Filou; 18th February 2018 at 13:00.
el Filou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2018, 14:09   #49039  |  Link
mytbyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post

Playing cinema content in a 23.976Hz multiple means that audio will be 0.1% too slow and yes you can hear the difference when A/B'ing, music will be out of tune for that matter. Only some TV shows are actually meant to be watched at 23.976Hz AFAIK, my point being that 23.976 content is rarely meant to be watched at its native rate
I must admit I don't quite understand exactly what you are trying to say, can you pls elaborate? (Most)All 24 fps cinema content is released as 23.976, or broadcast as fractional framerate, audio is in sync with that framerate and should be watched at that particular refresh or a multiple of it. So, re-syncing to 24 Hz or a multiple would actually mean changing the speed of audio (not necessarily the pitch - this can be retained), not the other way around, AFAIK...
mytbyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2018, 17:24   #49040  |  Link
el Filou

If audio is in sync with 23,976 fps then it means it was slowed down from original audio which was in sync with 24,000 fps by 0,1%, or else sound would be out of sync by 7 seconds at the end of a 2 hour movie.

(not that it matters to anyone except people who enjoy A/Bing a 0,1% pitch difference. )

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling